Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

Saw this on the ride home...it’s a lot to take in

JD Byrider tells you everything you need to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

I dunno why, but the "You shall not pass" sticker terrifies me the most. I feel like that is just announcing they are those people who speed up when you try to pass them and then slow down to 10 under because "We have to do the speed limit :byodame:"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Solar Coaster posted:

I dunno why, but the "You shall not pass" sticker terrifies me the most. I feel like that is just announcing they are those people who speed up when you try to pass them and then slow down to 10 under because "We have to do the speed limit :byodame:"

In my experience these are the clowns that go 5 mph under the limit then roll through stop signs. Safety only last as long as it's convenient! :downs:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Coexist doesn't mesh with the trump one, and also how the gently caress do they see out of their rear window?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

charliemonster42 posted:

Also Ohtsu are just rebranded Falkens. The 0612 is just the zx912 with a different name on it. Same factory and everything, and they're CHEAP. Got a set of 4 for my e30 for under $150.

The last set of Ohtsus I had were terrifying in the rain, and I'm pretty sure they were 0612s. Terrible treadlife too. :shrug: (both Saturns could spin them all the way through 1st, 2nd, and a bit into 3rd in the rain, without trying... back end would also kick out entirely too easy on wet roads).

I've owned 3 sets of Ohtsus, all 3 were pretty terrible in the same ways. Maybe because they were on fairly light FWD econoboxes? I really don't want to touch those again, though those might be a step up from the 5 year old Fuzions currently on my car (which, somehow, look almost new... probably 1/4 worn, no rot or checking).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 29, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Pro tip: Road Hugger GTP (which is specific to Discount) is made by Kumho for discount. They're an older Kumho touring tire that Kumho rebranded for Discount, and they're made at the same factory in Georgia that makes a lot of other Kumho tires.

They're not CHEAP, but they're affordable, and they're good tires for the money. I had the same ones on the Saturn, and they were pretty decent.

Yeah, I’ve got Road Hugger Ecos on the Kia, which is the same deal. I had the Kumho Eco tires previously, and they are identical.
I don’t think the Road Huggers were available when I got tires for the Out ack, or the Hankooks were cheaper or something. They’re acceptable.

charliemonster42 posted:

Also Ohtsu are just rebranded Falkens. The 0612 is just the zx912 with a different name on it. Same factory and everything, and they're CHEAP. Got a set of 4 for my e30 for under $150.

Really? Cool. I’ve got Ohtsus on the back of my AE86, just as something cheap in the stock size. No complaints so far, but not exactly a high performance vehicle.

Wasabi the J posted:

LMAO it's an Outback.

Yep.

Lack of commitment - they’re all taped to the inside of the window.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Saw one of the new rangers on the road today for the first time and couldn't help but think why it exists. It was barely smaller than an f150, just as tall, ugly as sin, and too expensive.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I guess when all the lesbians started buying Subarus the last US market for small trucks died.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Saw one of the new rangers on the road today for the first time and couldn't help but think why it exists. It was barely smaller than an f150, just as tall, ugly as sin, and too expensive.

It's bigger than the bricknose (95ish) F-150. Just fuckin huge. I also don't get it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Apparently the real answer has to do with massive tariffs placed specifically on any foreign-built trucks coming in to the US as protectionism for domestic manufacturers, so we can't have any of the awesome tiny trucks they make for Europe or the far east because they'd have to also build them here, and that's just too much of a risk for the mediocre pay off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Imagined posted:

Apparently the real answer has to do with massive tariffs placed on any foreign-built trucks coming in to the US as protectionism for domestic manufacturers, so we can't have any of the awesome tiny trucks they make for Europe or the far east because they'd have to also build them here, and that's just too much of a risk for the mediocre pay off.

Naw. CAFE standards define pickup sizes by their footprint, meaning the more square footage a truck occupies in LxW, the easier the fuel economy standards are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_average_fuel_economy#Agreed_standards_by_model_year,_2012%E2%80%932025

a 67 square foot truck only has to hit 25.25mpg, a 66 square foot truck has to hit 30.25.

I thought they were dumb, but my mom bought a colorado and it really is a perfect vehicle for her usage. She bought the brotruck ZR1 trim, and it's funny because it's 100% old ladies driving them in this city. You sit straight into it, it shrugs off a foot wide pothole, you can park on top of the snow windrows in the winter, and it isn't so wide you can't park it. It's also got 17 inch wheels, so tires are reasonably cheap. My only real complaint is how dead the steering is. My f250 feels like a tractor, but i can keep it 5 degrees out of line around a corner, where with the Colorado you can't feel poo poo, and can't really feel what the truck is doing dynamically.

There's a reason they exist, there's a reason smaller ones don't....yet.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Maybe it's both https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lame.

I just want a new tiny pickup.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's kind of both, but i would imagine if nissan wanted to sell the Navara they could ship it without a box from mexico and call it a 5 seater mpv

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Powershift posted:

It's kind of both, but i would imagine if nissan wanted to sell the Navara they could ship it without a box from mexico and call it a 5 seater mpv

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-ford-tariff-chicken-tax-20180709-story.html

It's been done 😃

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Welcome to CA.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Lame.

ford reportedly has one coming(look how close the back window is)

but it might just be an early maverick mule

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw there might be a Focus based pickup?

Is the Ranchero name still available?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I saw there might be a Focus based pickup?

Is the Ranchero name still available?

Courier is

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Lame.

You wouldn’t buy one anyway

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd buy a used one at some point if my house would stop breaking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

I didn't think they were ugly, and the price isn't completely outrageous, but yeah, it's not exactly "small". Pretty much just like the Colorado/Canyon.

Imagined posted:

I guess when all the lesbians started buying Subarus the last US market for small trucks died.

How would they know? No one makes any. The old Ranger was the last small truck, and it was just that: old.

I didn't realize that the Chicken Tax was still a thing.
Whelp., Guess it will have to be a Smyth conversion, or an old Datsun.

Rhyno posted:

I'd buy a used one at some point if my house would stop breaking.

To be fair, I'd have to buy used, too. There's basically no way I'm going to a) deal with the bullshit surrounding a new car purchase (which is something the manufacturers and dealers need to deal with) and b) suck up the massive depreciation and laughable prices of new cars, especially trucks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How do you guys post that you’d definitely buy one, but only used, and not understand that means they’ll never produce the thing you want?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Things enthusiasts need, and will definitely buy;

V8 powered RWD large sleeper sedans from non-luxury Marques
Manual Diesel Sports Wagon
Small pickup truck with manual and diesel
AWD Turbo 4dr. hot hatches that cost more than a Camaro SS for some reason
Large V8 powered RWD wagon

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

How do you guys post that you’d definitely buy one, but only used, and not understand that means they’ll never produce the thing you want?

Because we can't afford new cars?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd take the poo poo out of a 96 month loan for that truck.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

um excuse me posted:

I'd take the poo poo out of a 96 month loan for that truck.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Sad brains and liberal arts degrees

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

As an extremely well adjusted man with a STEM degree, I agree that we should limit all discussion to how well automakers are following industry trends.

My tan slacks get uncomfortably tight thinking about how smart Honda was to introduce the HR-V when they did.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Frond posted:

Things enthusiasts need, and will definitely buy;

V8 powered RWD large sleeper sedans from non-luxury Marques
Manual Diesel Sports Wagon
Small pickup truck with manual and diesel
AWD Turbo 4dr. hot hatches that cost more than a Camaro SS for some reason
Large V8 powered RWD wagon

You forgot:

small 4wd offroader with no power anything, manual transfer case, manual transmission and hose out interior.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

You forgot:

small 4wd offroader with no power anything, manual transfer case, manual transmission and hose out interior.

Also: 300+hp small 2 seater sports coupe for <$25k.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The local Mitsubishi dealer has base model Mirages (manual everything including transmission) priced at $18k, and won't budge on them. :laffo: (I test drove one for shits and giggles... they're worse than you think)

They also wanted $19k for a 1 year old Kia soul with 60k on it. :stare:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

The local Mitsubishi dealer has base model Mirages (manual everything including transmission) priced at $18k, and won't budge on them. :laffo: (I test drove one for shits and giggles... they're worse than you think)

That’s hilarious given that Don Herring Mitsu here in DFW is advertising Mirages for Under 11 grand ($10999, of course).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

STR posted:

Reminds me of this:

https://jalopnik.com/one-little-detail-makes-this-the-saddest-unsold-car-in-1823235758

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I will admit that I like the wheels

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MetaJew posted:

I will admit that I like the wheels

Yeah the wheels are pretty good, someone should rescue them from the rest of that mess.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It’s a pretty standard Itasha.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

STR posted:

One day I had to take my sister's 1999 (I think?) Mirage to get inspected when she was selling it. It felt faster than I thought it would. Not because it was actually fast of course, but because the whole thing felt so light and cheap like there was nothing separating me from the road and the other cars, which made me acutely aware of my speed at all times, like a motorcycle.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Those Mirages were actually respectable cars though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

STR posted:

The mirage starts at 11k canadian, what the gently caress?