Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Pretty much.

The Bears cap situation is probably sub mediocre, but it's not the Vikings level where they are already over the cap next year, or the Falcons that are somehow both over the cap and have almost no ability to move contracts around to free up significant space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Yesterday immediately made me think of the Trestman second down field goal. Just this cowardly "nah, don't need more yards this is good enough" mind set. I hate it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

What?

They have no money invested in Mitch. and Their cap situation is fine. The salary cap in the NFL is pretty much a suggestion. Unless you have completely and utterly hosed up with how contracts work.

They're already at $204 million next year in contracts (cap will be around $200 million). Eddie Jackson and Tarik Cohen will be in their final years and looking for extensions. They'll need a guard and a safety. To get any sort of cap space, they'll need to not pick up Floyd's option or cut Robinson.

Where are you getting $20-$30 million for a good QB without cutting a lot of good players?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

fishing with the fam posted:

Yesterday immediately made me think of the Trestman second down field goal. Just this cowardly "nah, don't need more yards this is good enough" mind set. I hate it.

Nagy did the same dumb poo poo last year in Miami.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MJeff posted:

He [Aaron Jones] is the Matt Stafford to Dalvin Cook's Aaron Rodgers.

this is hilariously apt, couldn't have put it better myself

I'm not even down on Aaron Jones, I love him as a runner and receiver but it's so good to finally see Cook being the player he was supposed to be. His speed and shiftiness is incredible, against Washington he had one of the best runs of the year where he made the entire defense look like fools as one after another he set them up, let them shoot at him for the tackle and calmly avoided each one towards the space at the center of the field. Instead of letting guys chase him down he forced them to leave their feet and take themselves out of the play completely, it was gorgeous

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

They're already at $204 million next year in contracts (cap will be around $200 million). Eddie Jackson and Tarik Cohen will be in their final years and looking for extensions. They'll need a guard and a safety. To get any sort of cap space, they'll need to not pick up Floyd's option or cut Robinson.

Where are you getting $20-$30 million for a good QB without cutting a lot of good players?

They have ~19 million that can roll over into next year.

Also you are getting that money by doing some cap things like back loading contracts and re-negotiating non-guarantees to move money later.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 28, 2019

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
trubisky is basically another ponder

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishing with the fam posted:

Coincidentally, my “on this day” thing from Facebook was a post 7 years ago complaining about Lovie settling for a 41 yard FG at the end of a Carolina game. Difference being Gould nailed it afterwards.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mastershakeman posted:

mitch's 5 games against the vikings, including this year where he had just 3 passes
2 losses, 3 wins, 2 tds, 2 picks, never reached 200 yards. broke 70 qb rating once with an 85

i wouldnt say 'roasts'

These seem pretty factual and ‘sciency’, I guess I’ve(wrongly) associated the Vikings complete inability to do anything against the bears for the last three matchups as a shining example of Mitch’s brilliance under center.

I also went to the week 17 game last year and Mitch made some really nice throws that game. His overall numbers weren’t impressive, but he threw some daggers that game and I think ran for a couple first downs as well.

There seems to be something about the Bears for this Vikings team though, we just look so bad against them.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

DoctaFun posted:

These seem pretty factual and ‘sciency’, I guess I’ve(wrongly) associated the Vikings complete inability to do anything against the bears for the last three matchups as a shining example of Mitch’s brilliance under center.

I also went to the week 17 game last year and Mitch made some really nice throws that game. His overall numbers weren’t impressive, but he threw some daggers that game and I think ran for a couple first downs as well.

There seems to be something about the Bears for this Vikings team though, we just look so bad against them.

We play like absolute crap in Chicago for some reason, but with last year being the exception win in MN.

Divisional games are weird.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

DoctaFun posted:

The Bears defense has been remarkably good against the run (when Akiem Hicks plays) and when the Vikings can’t run the ball and have to rely on Kirk to make plays, well, you know the rest

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

They shouldn't pick up Floyd or Shaheen. Floyd is flat out a bust outside of packers games, it's weird.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dubious posted:

trubisky is basically another ponder

Nah he's better than ponder was. He's more of a Jake locker

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Unless I missed this. I'd anticipate him getting cut.

https://twitter.com/PioneerPress/status/1188972641824202753

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hey NFC North thread, I'd like to posit a question. Is Matt Nagy the best coach in Chicago Sports.

I'll hang up and listen.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

David Ross hasn't hosed anything up yet. He's in the lead.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

David Ross hasn't hosed anything up yet. He's in the lead.

Wait... what?

Wow, I hadn't heard this yet.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Dexo posted:

Hey NFC North thread, I'd like to posit a question. Is Matt Nagy the best coach in Chicago Sports.

I'll hang up and listen.

Chicago sports? Quenneville is by far the best. Phil Jackson was good, but I dont know how much of that was just the sheer talent on the team at that time.

I'm just now noticing you didnt say "ever." If that's the case, probably nagy. Renteria has a chance if he pushes the sox next year.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Just to be clear, nobody actually thinks Kaep would make this team good, right? It’s just kind of a stopgap before they hopefully find a real QB in a draft?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

ZombieCrew posted:

Chicago sports? Quenneville was by far the best.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Was looking at the bears cap situation which isn't great but they aren't capped out by any means and...

im sorry.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

beejay posted:

Just to be clear, nobody actually thinks Kaep would make this team good, right? It’s just kind of a stopgap before they hopefully find a real QB in a draft?

Kaep’s scrambling ability would help offset the weak o-line, but there’d be a limit on what he could do. Especially having been out of the game for a few years.

The Bears’ bigger problem is that the defense will win them enough games that they’re not going to have a top-5 pick anytime soon, in a league where a decent chunk of teams will be looking to draft a QB, which means they have to gamble a lot more.

Question- have all the Bears fans given up on Trubs?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

adaz posted:

Was looking at the bears cap situation which isn't great but they aren't capped out by any means and...

im sorry.

Double doink into the red

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The Bears having 2 2nd round picks but no 1st 3rd or 4th is what makes their cap situation more dire. They can free up some room yes but they are probably going to have suboptimal replacements for some spots. Maybe actually getting a decent QB is enough to have a better version of a team though even with crappier guys in other spots.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Abugadu posted:

The Bears’ bigger problem is that the defense will win them enough games that they’re not going to have a top-5 pick anytime soon, in a league where a decent chunk of teams will be looking to draft a QB, which means they have to gamble a lot more.

Also, they don't have a first round pick next year because they traded it away for Mack

Edit: How did I not see the post directly above me, whoops

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If there is a QB that slides having 2 seconds will allow them to move into the mid to late first round in theory

But sure.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
The NFL put out a "Top 10 Lions plays at midway point of 2019" clip and the #3 was a TD called back as an incomplete:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/detroit-lions/0ap3000001070924/Top-10-Lions-plays-at-midway-point-of-2019

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Dexo posted:

If there is a QB that slides having 2 seconds will allow them to move into the mid to late first round in theory

But sure.

Yeah they could but what’s your point? That makes it even harder to help find cheap capable replacements when they wouldn’t have a pick until the fifth round.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The "But sure" wasn't meant to be sarcastic.

The thing is the Bears aren't thaat bereft of talent.

The QB is just really bad.

The Defense is still very very good

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Ah all good man. What I am getting at is we have most likely seen the peak of the Bears defense. And if the defense is very good instead of great and say an average QB is obtained, are they really a contender at that point? They’ll need to hit on some low round picks/undrafted guys to fill in the holes.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Why couldn't they have just picked Watson or Mahomes :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

beejay posted:

Why couldn't they have just picked Watson or Mahomes :smith:

Gotta kiss those titties

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hand Row posted:

Ah all good man. What I am getting at is we have most likely seen the peak of the Bears defense. And if the defense is very good instead of great and say an average QB is obtained, are they really a contender at that point? They’ll need to hit on some low round picks/undrafted guys to fill in the holes.

The Defense would be helped by an Offense that allowed them to not be perfect and didn't constantly put them on the field after a 3 and out. And an average QB would be able to hit recievers open on the sidelines.

Players on defense are just loving drained.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/adamjahns/status/1189189301034110976

Please god what did I do to deserve this?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

they love all his intangibles, such as his [is white], that really differentiated him from Watson and Mahomes

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
rofl what the gently caress is a want-to?

I mean sure I guess it's great he really wants to be a QB someday but you'd think there's better metrics to measure his effectiveness somehow..

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Beethovens Fist Symphony posted:

Following a long tradition in Chicago sports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxfJw8LeSuY&t=114s

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Beethovens Fist Symphony posted:

I mean sure I guess it's great he really wants to be a QB someday but you'd think there's better metrics to measure his effectiveness somehow..

Cutler broke this franchise in more ways than one.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

sticking with a QB that sucks but he tries real hard in the NFL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Abugadu posted:

Question- have all the Bears fans given up on Trubs?

if they haven't yet when will they? I mean, christ

:laffo: his want-to? what a joke

You can't perform better on game days by wanting to. I honestly feel a bit bad for the guy, he just ain't it