Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean, why not just it just call it a baby shower? except to remove the taint of poorness from implying that friends having a baby might have a use for related gifts

:eng101: The baby shower and the gender reveal party are two separate events! The baby shower is for preparing a mom-to-be for her first child, while the gender reveal is for revealing the sex of a child-to-be regardless of birth order!

E:

Pththya-lyi has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Militant Lesbian posted:

No gender id in your profile page means you get gender neutral pronouns, ya goofy porpoise.

I don’t think people use “they” in the 2nd person

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Senior Dog posted:

You.... failed english class, didn’t you.

e:

https://twitter.com/thehipsterrebbe/status/1188611094266466305

Militant Lesbian has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Oct 29, 2019

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Militant Lesbian posted:

the only way to be sure is to wait until they are old enough to figure it out and then ask them

I have a friend who is doing this with her kids and it's good as hell praxis, like gender neutral, nobody else even knows the sex

Seems real difficult but I'm proud

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Victory Position posted:

the way he dodged that shoe confirms that it is a closely-held dream of his

oh he straightup said so and was even shortlisted for the position in 19-whatever when he was the rangers guy

Senior Dog posted:

https://twitter.com/KoryStamper/status/1037694850815148032

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Shame on you, actually.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Militant Lesbian posted:

I think they meant white people throwing a plantation themed party and hiring Black people to be their ‘set decoration’ for the party (and being killed by said white nonsense)

like, as usual, Black people will suffer due to white foolishness

Wasn't there some horribly white TV cook who did this with her wedding?

EDIT: Yes, Paula Deen.

It's amazing how she looks exactly like you think she would when you first hear that she's someone who would hold a slavery-themed wedding.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Shame on you, actually.

I'm not shaming them for supporting the Kurds, I'm shaming them for thinking Trump would handle foreign policy at all well. But here's an easier person to laugh at:

E: VVV ah, gotcha. VVV

Pththya-lyi has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Oct 29, 2019

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

get waisted

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Militant Lesbian posted:

please explain because I'm pretty sure what i said was right.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'm not shaming them for supporting the Kurds, I'm shaming them for thinking Trump would handle foreign policy at all well. But here's an easier person to laugh at:

I meant shame on the person who voted for Trump, not on you for posting it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Militant Lesbian posted:

That's unpossible!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Militant Lesbian posted:

No gender id in your profile page means you get gender neutral pronouns, ya goofy porpoise.
The second-person pronoun is the already neutral you (or thou/thee if you want to get archaic). They is third-person. Both can be used for singular and plural persons. Though I suppose you might no have been addressing me, despite quoting me, which might explain the grammatical confusion?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

lol this reminded me of that oathkeeper who gave himself a heart attack screaming about muslims because his fat rear end was wearing full body armor in 100 degree new york heat

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The second-person pronoun is the already neutral you (or thou/thee if you want to get archaic). They is third-person. Both can be used for singular and plural persons. Though I suppose you might no have been addressing me, despite quoting me, which might explain the grammatical confusion?

Singular ‘they’ is a thing that has existed longer in english than singular ‘you’.

“Did you see what A Buttery Pastry said? They actually said [...]”

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Pththya-lyi posted:

E: VVV ah, gotcha. VVV

I mean, on one hand, good that these people aren't going to vote for Trump. But on the other hand, gently caress these people for choosing this hill to die on instead of, oh I don't know, children in cages.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Militant Lesbian posted:

Singular ‘they’ is a thing that has existed longer in english than singular ‘you’.
We're not talking singular/plural, but second/third-person. You replied to me using the third-person, despite the person you were replying to (me) being the subject of the sentence. It's completely orthogonal to the discussion of singular they.

Militant Lesbian posted:

A perfectly fine sentence, except when directed at me. First person is what you use for yourself, second-person for the ones you're talking to, and third-person for people outside the conversation.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The video of his face as he realizes what’s happening is awesome because it’s the first time I’ve seen him express any pain and it’s narcissistic injury at something completely trivial.

Post Trump realizing he's going to die Trump here.

(seriously though do you have a link)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Pyrotoad posted:

Post Trump realizing he's going to die Trump here.

(seriously though do you have a link)

https://twitter.com/arlenparsa/status/1188627056323633154

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Militant Lesbian posted:

Person and singular/plural are different concepts. now I’m thinking you failed English class

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

why does everything regarding language always need to have been the case for 700 years or whatever for it to be valid now

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like the natural arc of the linguist is to hit the point where they realize that they'd following in the wake of the broader culture and explaining things for the sake of understanding them instead of leading a charge of purely rational expression, then retreating into studying some weird obscure language and getting into chair throwing fights about Sapir-Whorf

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

I feel like the natural arc of the linguist is to hit the point where they realize that they'd following in the wake of the broader culture and explaining things for the sake of understanding them instead of leading a charge of purely rational expression, then retreating into studying some weird obscure language and getting into chair throwing fights about Sapir-Whorf

the goal is to find the very first person who came up with the word "fart" and interrogate them thoroughly into we get to a reason why they thought of the phonetic sounds that go into the word "fart"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Victory Position posted:

the goal is to find the very first person who came up with the word "fart" and interrogate them thoroughly into we get to a reason why they thought of the phonetic sounds that go into the word "fart"

Ffffrrrrrrt, done

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Le pharte

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I mean, on one hand, good that these people aren't going to vote for Trump. But on the other hand, gently caress these people for choosing this hill to die on instead of, oh I don't know, children in cages.

Lol. Sure.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
A lot of them are casual voters who will just stay home.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We're not talking singular/plural, but second/third-person. You replied to me using the third-person, despite the person you were replying to (me) being the subject of the sentence. It's completely orthogonal to the discussion of singular they.

A perfectly fine sentence, except when directed at me. First person is what you use for yourself, second-person for the ones you're talking to, and third-person for people outside the conversation.

Well, it’s easier to realize you are the same person who posted the original quip about the plantation themed party when you aren’t expressing confusion about the concept of a plantation themed party halfway down the page. (I didn’t look at the names enough to realize you were the same person as the OP. I don’t look at names, I :justpost:)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This all could have been avoided if it it had simply been written

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"They" = me. But yes, exactly.

with quotation marks.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

My favorite part is everyone around him deflating also, lmfao

Die, boomers, die

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Elephant Ambush posted:

A lot of them are casual voters who will just stay home.

Until Comey says "We are going to look a bit deeper into this Biden thing in the Ukraine." a few days before and all the chuds form lines down the street to vote Trump again.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Militant Lesbian posted:

Well, it’s easier to realize you are the same person who posted the original quip about the plantation themed party when you aren’t expressing confusion about the concept of a plantation themed party halfway down the page. (I didn’t look at the names enough to realize you were the same person as the OP. I don’t look at names, I :justpost:)
I was expressing confusion at the idea of black people doing a plantation themed party, not the concept all together.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Epic High Five posted:

why does everything regarding language always need to have been the case for 700 years or whatever for it to be valid now

it’s less about history validating now and more wanting to scream at people whose entire premise is not only pulled out of their rear end but also the opposite of reality

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CNN covered this with "Trump Receives Mixture of Boos and Cheers"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BiggerBoat posted:

Something not even Fox did for fucks sake.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

lmao I loved how lanyards like Morning Joe did a tssssk bit about how booing the president is ruining decorum in the USA.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Grape posted:

Something not even Fox did for fucks sake.

tbf fox only wouldn't do that because they want to underline how those mean evil democraps don't respect our great president because they hate america and jesus and you the viewer and straight booing plays better with that narrative

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I am 100% certain it was like the editor going "we cant say that everyone in the crowd was booing there had to be some cheering so we'll go with a mixture as not to appear biased" decorum me to hell.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

AkumaHokoru posted:

I am 100% certain it was like the editor going "we cant say that everyone in the crowd was booing there had to be some cheering so we'll go with a mixture as not to appear biased" decorum me to hell.

Yeah that reeks of some higher up type thrusting in on a normal story and tsk tsking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
All it does is hurt their credibility with everyone now since it was on loving TV and it was the goddamn world series which seemed like the entire world was booing him. It wasn't like a small group in a corner protesting, it was the entire loving stadium standing up and booing at him. You can't spin that at all.