Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Looking forward to the CUKTIG elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Superterranean posted:

Some of you are Labour organizers here - please repost the many ways someone who wants to get involved could do so. Perhaps even toss it in the OP, Guava?

Basic option is to contact your constituency's Labour party and sign up for anything they need doing. If you're a member of Momentum, they may also send you messages about how you can help. If you have spare money, your CLP will also appreciate it - elections are expensive, and CLPs are often quite short on cash.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Pesky Splinter posted:

I just wanna follow Mike Gapes around for the next two months.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Bright side, a December election might keep a lot of Tory voters at home on account of slippery pavements and fragile hips.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

joedevola posted:

Bright side, a December election might keep a lot of Tory voters at home on account of slippery pavements and fragile hips.

Brighter side, they all do try to walk to their polling place ...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pesky Splinter posted:

You realise this mean Frances Tweetman will take a run at an MP post :ohdear:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Rarity posted:

loving who?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Junior G-man posted:

I just wanna follow Mike Gapes around for the next two months.

"A vote for me, is a vote for a land of MIWK and honey. Do not be decieved by Mr Seamus Miwne, and his Russian troll farms."
*Faces flushes a deeper purple, arms gesticulate wildly*

Rarity posted:

Can't wait for her to win on the back of the support she got running for MEP.

0.01% of the vote wasn't it :v:

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

peanut- posted:

Oh good, Google also tells me the site was sold a few years back so it's probably alright to use them.

Sample quote from the founder of OcUK, posted on the site's open forum:
"There is no national dignity without the people believing in their race and nation above all else. No compromise over homosexuality. It should be made illegal again and stiff penalties imposed on the "pink Mafia" now infiltrating Society at all levels"

Bloody hell. Well, at least it sounds like they've changed a bit through death / being sold off / moderated, but it's a shame I gave them money back when he was in charge. I only went with them because I was living in Stoke at the time and I could cycle to their warehouse to pick up my wares.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

peanut- posted:

Sample quote from the founder of OcUK, posted on the site's open forum:
"There is no national dignity without the people believing in their race and nation above all else. No compromise over homosexuality. It should be made illegal again and stiff penalties imposed on the "pink Mafia" now infiltrating Society at all levels"

Ha, Christ. I used to moderate there a looooong time back, and one of the only things that's stuck with me since was him once starting a thread titled, genuinely, "why do brown people smell so bad", and then banning anyone who called him out on it.

Feels pretty good to hear he's dead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The OCUk logo was deliberately modelled after the BNP logo. A friend of mine said he will never use OCUk like 15 years ago because of the owner's views and I followed his lead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I used DinoPC for mine (albeit five years ago now). They seemed really friendly and had great customer service but the build quality was awful and I had to redo most of it.

Who is generally considered good these days then if I don't really want to use OC?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

CyberPingu posted:

In what sense? Did he ship me off for adoption or did he attempt to build the perfect son through years of study.

Because if its the 2nd part. Then he succeeded :smug:

In the sense that:

Cyberpingu posted:

He had books dedicated to how to get certain colour matches, properly building the perfect avian race.

Or perhaps not avian in your case, but I'm not making any assumptions. How successful was he? How many beautiful colours make up your plumage and/or skin?

:nyan:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OzyMandrill posted:

Where's the best place to buy PC's or components these days?
Used to use Novatech but they seem out of stock of half the stuff these days.

Don't shop at Novatech. The founder is an rear end hole with a Napoleon complex. Seconding the recommendation to check out pcpartpicker.

E: no ethical consumption etc and I'd buy from David Furby before a literal fascist but still.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Braggart posted:

In the sense that:

Or perhaps not avian in your case, but I'm not making any assumptions. How successful was he? How many beautiful colours make up your plumage and/or skin?

:nyan:

I am a man of many colours

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1189142810974404609?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Burgon confirms Labour will push to extend the franchise to 16/17 year olds and EU citizens :getin:

That would probably help their vote a fair bit but good luck getting it through parliament :v:

Also it's gonna be fun getting them registered in time.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

OzyMandrill posted:

Where's the best place to buy PC's or components these days?
Used to use Novatech but they seem out of stock of half the stuff these days.

if you're building it yourself, pcpartpicker and google shopping for comparison, logicalincrements for specs (though it - and every other guide on the internet - skews a bit gamer-y).

as an aside, you might not wanna buy a PC in 2019! for most people it's better to spend the cash on a high-end laptop and a good monitor. USB-C does power/display/accessories in a single cable nowadays, and unless you're looking to CRANK UP THEM GRAPHICS most people have no need for the extra heat dissipation that's fundamentally the only reason to prefer a tower to a laptop.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i just moved to a pretty tory area how do i find out about best tactical voting to ensure a labour victory

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

OwlFancier posted:

That would probably help their vote a fair bit but good luck getting it through parliament :v:

Also it's gonna be fun getting them registered in time.

You’ve probably got a better shot at having 16/17 year old addresses up to date than older people tbh

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'd be happy enough with what we had before the Thatcher sell-off: roughly 60% of the population owns their home and the other 40% live in council houses with lifetime tenancies that they can usually pass on to their kids.

Wow was it really this high? What a fuckup to just sell it off.

Something that's been on my mind, but I don't have stats to back up, is that I recall that the UK property bubble actually accounts for a decent amount of UK GDP. Clearly it wouldn't be "real" GDP but I could see that contributing to politicians not wanting to address the issue. Is this true or bollocks?

Where I live has quite strong rent controls where if a landlord wants to raise rents they have to go to a tribunal and argue the case. Rents are high it has to be said, but properly administered it seems to protect renters quite well. Particularly it means old people who don't own their home keep paying their rent at 1970s prices so offers some protection there.

The final thing I was going to moan about is the absolutely terrible standard of construction in the UK. Is it just that building codes aren't enforced? The city I live in has I think about double the population density of London and everyone lives in low rise blocks. Having endured terrible new build and converted homes in the UK I was dreading constantly trying to tune out neighbour noise but in reality I never hear more than the faintest noise.

I've really enjoyed housingchat btw. Just seems so obvious that it's sucking money out of the economy and acting solely as an investment vehicle for old people.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

coffeetable posted:

if you're building it yourself, pcpartpicker and google shopping for comparison, logicalincrements for specs (though it - and every other guide on the internet - skews a bit gamer-y).

as an aside, you might not wanna buy a PC in 2019! for most people it's better to spend the cash on a high-end laptop and a good monitor. USB-C does power/display/accessories in a single cable nowadays, and unless you're looking to CRANK UP THEM GRAPHICS most people have no need for the extra heat dissipation that's fundamentally the only reason to prefer a tower to a laptop.

If you’re going that route why not get a pi3 and be done with it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

i just moved to a pretty tory area how do i find out about best tactical voting to ensure a labour victory

Look up the previous year's results for the constituency. But I'd suggest that if the libs get in they'll only prop up the tories. Vote labour if you want labour.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/GavLynch2/status/1189104403523035137

Looks like that Grenfell report is throwing the fire brigade under the bus instead of, you, the actual fuckers who primed an event like that to happen through callous negligence, and purposeful malice.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Scan and ebuyer are the ones I always used for work or home stuff because returns meant if I hosed up the part I could just return it were easy to deal with

Now on the odd occasion I need parts I go to the great Satan because it's cheaper and the returns are just as exploitable

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lol at all the posters who were mad Labour weren't going to back a vote

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50182015

interesting artical that says weather has no effect on people voting.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

https://twitter.com/GavLynch2/status/1189104403523035137

Looks like that Grenfell report is throwing the fire brigade under the bus instead of, you, the actual fuckers who primed an event like that to happen through callous negligence, and purposeful malice.

The Telegraph breaking the embargo to lead the conversation and narrative, the report might not single out the LFB to any extent

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Total Meatlove posted:

If you’re going that route why not get a pi3 and be done with it?
because the user experience of a consumer laptop is designed for normal people who don't wanna janitor a naked pcb

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rarity posted:

You don't think labour supporters collectively saying "er wtf?" over the last couple of days might have had something to do with this clear U-turn?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

If you're Right enough times in a row do you get to call in a drone strike of correctness missiles?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

My Labour MP won with 72% of the vote in 2017...makes me feel less bad about not being in the country for the election.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Rarity posted:

Also, at all the posters who were making up Very Clever reasons why not backing a vote was a genius move.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hell yeah let's get this campaign on the loving road. Wiping my schedule clean in late November and early Dec. Going to hit the pavements and knock doors until my feet blister and knuckles bleed.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

CyberPingu posted:

I am a man of many colours

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Total Meatlove posted:

The Telegraph breaking the embargo to lead the conversation and narrative, the report might not single out the LFB to any extent

That's a bit better, to be expected then the Telegraph would try to frame it as that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's a bit better, to be expected then the Telegraph would try to frame it as that.

Hopefully they won't be framing anything in the near future.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/SamGyimah/status/1189152834400468992?s=20

Standing against Emma Dent Coad in Kensington ...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

If you're Right enough times in a row do you get to call in a drone strike of correctness missiles?

If so I will use them to prove that the Lindsay Lohan version of Freaky Friday is empirically the better one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I recall this is merely stage 1 of the Grenfell inquiry - it stated that the firefighters were not adequately prepared, which does not necessarily mean they chose to be. Graun said that a second stage of the inquiry will look into the events leading up to the fire, implying this first stage was looking only at events after.