Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I think they mentioned at one point that they recognize the writing is broken but are still willing to give it a chance because of how hosed up the writer's room/showrunning has been for the show the first 2 seasons. They're still enjoying new Trek. It's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I see we've evolved from "I don't like Discovery" to "It annoys me that other people like Discovery"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It annoys me that you don't like that it annoys me other people like Discovery

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

that's the spirit

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

What I don't get is their loving love for Discovery. I think it may be because the podcasters both work in tv/film production so the technical of the series look great and are top notch. It is just seriously some of the worst writing around, way worse than the last season of Game of Thrones, and that was some serious poo poo.

I still think the show doesn't actually look that great, it looks relatively expensive to me but aside from one or two vfx shots and that huge klingon set from the first season it still reminds me of any first person shooter from the last 15 years.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It annoys me that you don't like that it annoys me other people like Rick & Morty

:suicide:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

People, this is how causality loops get started. So when the podcast hits the nacelle and we all die over and over again, don't come crying to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can come crying to me. I'm Frasier

And I'm listening

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

People, this is how causality loops get started. So when the podcast hits the nacelle and we all die over and over again, don't come crying to me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A few pages I ran across from "Ideas for developing a graphic identity system for the new Starship Enterprise", Mike Okuda, 1987:

Graphic design is neat and also thank god TNG had Mike Okuda on board, without him it'd probably be way more generic. (And button-based and primitive looking)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

A few pages I ran across from "Ideas for developing a graphic identity system for the new Starship Enterprise", Mike Okuda, 1987:

Graphic design is neat and also thank god TNG had Mike Okuda on board, without him it'd probably be way more generic. (And button-based and primitive looking)

just hook this poo poo directly into my veins

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Quick, everybody vote the thread a three, to send a message to the next loop!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CPColin posted:

...the shitposting will not be effective.

I am gassing the thread.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

CPColin posted:

...This is highly improbable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

...the shitposting will not be effective.

I am gassing the thread.

There are...four...threads!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There are...four...threads!!!

I posted in all the trek threads simultaneously and now I'm a salamander

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

MikeJF posted:

Ahhh I really want to see what these look like but I'm getting a 404 error.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

speakhard posted:

Ahhh I really want to see what these look like but I'm getting a 404 error.

try these

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

jeeves posted:

What I don't get is their loving love for Discovery. I think it may be because the podcasters both work in tv/film production so the technical of the series look great and are top notch. It is just seriously some of the worst writing around, way worse than the last season of Game of Thrones, and that was some serious poo poo.

For me it's their complete unequivocal love for every single second of Discovery and complete refusal to say anything negative about it - including the comics which from their descriptions sound like complete and total fanwank. Didn't think The Trouble with Edward was a laugh-a-minute comedy masterpiece? Then you must be a 'Not my Star Trek' hater.

I'm sure a bit of negativity wouldn't destroy any special relationship they've established so far...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zaroff posted:

For me it's their complete unequivocal love for every single second of Discovery and complete refusal to say anything negative about it - including the comics which from their descriptions sound like complete and total fanwank. Didn't think The Trouble with Edward was a laugh-a-minute comedy masterpiece? Then you must be a 'Not my Star Trek' hater.

I'm sure a bit of negativity wouldn't destroy any special relationship they've established so far...

I've found a lot of vocal internet Discovery fans are very much like new-starwars fans in that there's such polarizing opinions they'd had to make their like of thing into an almost identity issue, a tribal thing, or even a political thing. They have to love every second of every episode to own the haters. They have to find every weird retcon or plot hole a massive improvement to the canon. But mostly they have to be always be posting about how great it is to own to basement dwellers who are probably just racist anyways and can't handle strong women who are good at science.

And wow yeah I tried to watch the trouble with edward because John B. and tribbles but it was just incredibly not funny and shockingly mean-spirited. It really contradicted what we've seen of starfleet and humanity in general in trek. Dismissive cruelty, treating underlings as sub-human, and talk about marketing deals and selling cereal ?? "Its just a joke short, don't take it seriously!" folks might say, but a comedy short should maybe have some jokes or comedy in it.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 29, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zaroff posted:

It's funny because they used to joke about how they were the only podcast not in "the pocket of Big Rod"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Q9T1rxIZI

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 29, 2019

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Now that's Ro like it, hubba hubba

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CPColin posted:

I suggest using the tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory. :geno:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Baronjutter posted:

It really contradicted what we've seen of starfleet and humanity in general in trek.

So it was par the course for Discovery then?

Obviously Kirk is so great him taking over the Enterprise leads to the era of humanity bettering ourselves and being enlightened.

So how long do we think the Disco writers will be able to hold off on showing Kirk anyway?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Humerus posted:

So it was par the course for Discovery then?

Obviously Kirk is so great him taking over the Enterprise leads to the era of humanity bettering ourselves and being enlightened.

So how long do we think the Disco writers will be able to hold off on showing Kirk anyway?

I don't know how they'll manage that 900 years into the future or whenever they are supposed to be now.

My theory is they'll keep toying with the idea of a show set on the Enterprise, and when they can't get the guy who played Pike to come back for it, they'll just do another regular TOS reboot (which will also be a prequel, of course).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I found a link to Stage9 and downloaded it and now I'm angry all over again because this is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 30, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's funny because they used to joke about how they were the only podcast not in "the pocket of Big Rod"
They still do that

I don’t believe that they like Disco because they are trying to get into CBS’ good graces. I do think that they are way too positive about it and brush over the show’s real problems, but they are allowed to be fans with bad analysis of the show

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I found a link to Stage9 and downloaded it and now I'm angry all over again because this is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

I will never not be upset as to why these obviously super-talented people put their real names and contactinfo on this project. You KNOW you're gonna get in trouble, release it anonymously!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MrData posted:

I will never not be upset as to why these obviously super-talented people put their real names and contactinfo on this project. You KNOW you're gonna get in trouble, release it anonymously!!

This is specifically about video game fan projects but still relevant https://youtu.be/hqwP6uuYOWo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I've found a lot of vocal internet Discovery fans are very much like new-starwars fans in that there's such polarizing opinions they'd had to make their like of thing into an almost identity issue, a tribal thing, or even a political thing. They have to love every second of every episode to own the haters. They have to find every weird retcon or plot hole a massive improvement to the canon. But mostly they have to be always be posting about how great it is to own to basement dwellers who are probably just racist anyways and can't handle strong women who are good at science.

And wow yeah I tried to watch the trouble with edward because John B. and tribbles but it was just incredibly not funny and shockingly mean-spirited. It really contradicted what we've seen of starfleet and humanity in general in trek. Dismissive cruelty, treating underlings as sub-human, and talk about marketing deals and selling cereal ?? "Its just a joke short, don't take it seriously!" folks might say, but a comedy short should maybe have some jokes or comedy in it.

Oh come on, this post has to be a joke. You're giving these people crap for the same goddamn thing you're doing-- fuckin' plankeye over here.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Khanstant posted:

Oh come on, this post has to be a joke. You're giving these people crap for the same goddamn thing you're doing-- fuckin' plankeye over here.

"I can't stand people who have strong opinions about how good a movie was. But first, let me tell you how god-damned angry I am about a TV show."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

If you start to think that online trekkies (or any other fandom, really) are reasonable people who often won't desperately gobble up any new material whether they actually like it or not because their whole identity is wrapped up in being a fan then you've been hanging around here too long

I actually watched that short trek to see what people were talking about and I'm laughing that the show can't stop being an rear end in a top hat even when it's trying to be ha-ha funny sweet jesus

Like I'd love to just sit and have dinner with whoever's writing this stuff just to pick their brains, I wanna know how they grew up that they're like this as adults now. I have some theories but nothing I can confirm from all the way out here

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MrData posted:

There's only so anonymous you can be, especially if you want to register a website.

Kibayasu posted:

This is specifically about video game fan projects but still relevant https://youtu.be/hqwP6uuYOWo

It's true but it must also be acknowledged that Star Trek has up until now had an established record of being extraordinarily permissive with fan works.

And just because they have the right to be dicks doesn't mean I can't be upset about it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

There's only so anonymous you can be, especially if you want to register a website.

The latter part isn't really necessary though. Seed a torrent, then post on some forums from free wi-fi somewhere.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Like I'd love to just sit and have dinner with whoever's writing this stuff just to pick their brains, I wanna know how they grew up that they're like this as adults now. I have some theories but nothing I can confirm from all the way out here

I completely understand why it has that rear end in a top hat bent to the humor, like, look at the world for half a second and it becomes clear. I think to write like old-Trek you'd have to be hopelessly oblivious to reality to maintain that optimism.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's the natural way humans work to want to iterate off of all the works of fiction around them. Works that play off of already existing brands and ips already have a foothold in people's hearts and minds, so people are more likely to appreciate your work. That same foothold is what inspires so many people to make things on their own in the first place.

That's why IP law is so vigorously enforced and is currently the centerpiece of the corporate titans that dominate the entertainment industry. That's what the big moneymaker is. And in the economic darwinism of the current shrinking industry oligopoly, companies that are chill about these things get absorbed by the companies that are real bastards about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I completely understand why it has that rear end in a top hat bent to the humor, like, look at the world for half a second and it becomes clear. I think to write like old-Trek you'd have to be hopelessly oblivious to reality to maintain that optimism.

I'm extremely pessimistic about the actual future and I think that this attitude is absolutely the wrong one for making relevant, good Star Trek stories

People who don't think a better world is possible should not be making a show about how a better world is possible