Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Would 2/6/2/2 be the best for Apocalypse Cop? What is the Apocalypse skill anyway? Inland Empire?

Imo Shivers but the Apocalypse Cop thought raises the skill caps for Shivers and Inland Empire to 6 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Avalerion posted:

I gave in to the hype and got this, don’t want to waste my refund window staring at chargen... what would be a non-wacky (no drugs, communist or fascist), competent good guy cop build?

4422, perception, make sure you get 5 in volition soon enough, and then put a couple into stuff as you need it. shivers 4 completes that build as a "sees most things, isnt insane good guy cop"

Chubby Henparty posted:

After a break and a restart I'm suddenly finding there's not enough time in the world. Focussing on the body in day one, and the main plot points there and in day two just ate daylght and its scaring me from exploring the bookshop and more. Am I playing wrong?

Also annoyed / ashamed that it called me a sorry cop and laughed at my delusions of superstardom despite having 5x the latter.

nah man its pretty hard to actually run out of time. take it slow and dont cut corners, the gotchas you can play on the NPCs if you are a competent detective are so worth it

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Out of curiosity, is there a sweet spot for most skills? I've been jacking my mental skills up to around 8-12, and I honestly don't feel a big difference- it's making me wish I'd tried to have like half of the skills around 4-6 instead of a few of them really high.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 30, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
from what ive seen, running a cheated 12 in everything character, theres almost never a passive check that requires more than 8. and honestly, they're not all that fleshed out, probably for good reason. there are a couple 7s for espirit and shivers that are neat though.

edit: and some checks that you see that you fail are actually literally impossible even with the right amount of skill, like the reaction speed check for the dick mullen novel

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Verviticus posted:

from what ive seen, running a cheated 12 in everything character, theres almost never a passive check that requires more than 8. and honestly, they're not all that fleshed out, probably for good reason. there are a couple 7s for espirit and shivers that are neat though.

edit: and some checks that you see that you fail are actually literally impossible even with the right amount of skill, like the reaction speed check for the dick mullen novel

...son of a bitch, so I feel silly about those five minutes of reloading- poor guy deserved to see how it ended, he was really getting into the story! That's helpful though, thanks :)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Avalerion posted:

I gave in to the hype and got this, don’t want to waste my refund window staring at chargen... what would be a non-wacky (no drugs, communist or fascist), competent good guy cop build?

The game will make jabs at you regardless of ideology, take no stance and it will call you boring and characters will insult you for your lack of conviction, become a centrist and it's an ideology represented by a faction within the lore of the game and one virtually no one likes. Even detective high Intellect/Motorics builds have stuff like Conceptualization and Savoir-Faire that pops up goofy options. There is literally no dedicated serious build.
As for drugs, they're more depressing than anything. Electrochemistry is who says the goofy stuff, but EVERY skill, even Volition says goofy stuff. Actually using drugs is both mechanical and a character choice.

It seems like your expectations are a little warped. Your build isn't what's going to make your protagonist "wacky," your ingame choices will, and I think you'll be sorely disappointed because the game's humor is pretty well suffused across the entirety of its DNA regardless of how dry you attempt to play it, it's heavily comedic.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

does volition say goofy stuff? I dont remember seeing one

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is continuing Cuno's story contingent on giving him the drugs? My game is actually bugged so it never leaves the conversation if I do so I guess no drugs for Cuno.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Volition doesn't really do goofy far as I can tell, but it does have one of the most impressive Skill Conversations in the game, and if having to talk shop with Electrochemistry and Drama means getting a little goofy then so be it

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is continuing Cuno's story contingent on giving him the drugs? My game is actually bugged so it never leaves the conversation if I do so I guess no drugs for Cuno.

Nah, Cuno respects that his pig hosed him.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Okay so apparently the "thinker" archetype just gets drat near 100% of the context regarding basically everything that's going on at all times, which I was thoroughly enjoying

Bounced after I kept dying from lack of morale, went back in with a Shivers / Intellect and got almost nothing from anything

I am not used to a game kicking me in the face that fast with how different the builds feel

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FuzzySlippers posted:

Try again, the latest patch notes specifically mention this bug.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I don't really agree with all the "no combat" talk. There is combat in the game, it just doesn't use a discrete set of mechanics for it. It's all dice rolls, like in P&P.
But - with only a handful of scenarios - it's not combat rich.

itry fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 30, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly DE sidesteps the problem with RTWP gameplay that plagued even the best crpgs of old (and some newer ones, like Pillars of Eternity) by, simply, forgoing with a discrete combat system altogether. It's all just skill checks. In this respect it's not unlike modern rules-light pnp games, though with a higher degree of crunch because every single skill you can develop is a character with its own voice, and so every single skill serves a real purpose in the narrative.

It winds up being a truer successor to Planescape Torment than Numenera simply by identifying the worst problem with Planescape and solving it in as elegant and simple a fashion you can imagine. This is what happens when you're not married to the genre's sacred cow of rpg combat.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It seems like your expectations are a little warped. Your build isn't what's going to make your protagonist "wacky," your ingame choices will, and I think you'll be sorely disappointed because the game's humor is pretty well suffused across the entirety of its DNA regardless of how dry you attempt to play it, it's heavily comedic.

It’s pretty clear to me I won’t find this games humor funny, but I’ve had several people suggest there’s actually an intriguing and well written detective/mystery story with a supernatural twist to it there too, so I plan to focus on that, if that makes sense.

Worst case scenario I still won’t like it but with how much it’s blowing up I feel like I have to at least give it it’s fair chance.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Avalerion posted:

It’s pretty clear to me I won’t find this games humor funny, but I’ve had several people suggest there’s actually an intriguing and well written detective/mystery story with a supernatural twist to it there too, so I plan to focus on that, if that makes sense.

Worst case scenario I still won’t like it but with how much it’s blowing up I feel like I have to at least give it it’s fair chance.

4/4/2/2 with a focus on Shivers. Pump Inland Empire, Shivers and Visual Calculus/Logic whenever you can. Put some into Encyclopedia as well if you feel like it, though that's mostly for world context.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just roleplay as a boring cop (this isn't an insult, just a character type). Choose a build that focuses on rational thinking and observation, choose a signature skill that represents that the most to you. Then decline any 'irrational' thoughts that come up or politics if you want. The game will call you out on any choice you make anyway but those are logical complaints and there's enough procedurals and observation to fill the rest of the gameplay

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah Boring Cop is a legit build but there is some genuinely impressive detective work you can do even as a weirder copotype.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

What’s a good skill spread for an improbably charming louche disco cop who is going to use every chemical enhancement there is to turn that frown upside-down, and reject the so-called “reality” of being an horrific substance-abuse-raddled wreck of a man?

E: is he drunk right now? Or high? Yes. Yes he is.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

What’s a good skill spread for an improbably charming louche disco cop who is going to use every chemical enhancement there is to turn that frown upside-down, and reject the so-called “reality” of being an horrific substance-abuse-raddled wreck of a man?

E: is he drunk right now? Or high? Yes. Yes he is.

1/4/3/4 + Suggestion, go Superstar Cop to raise your Electrochemistry, Suggestion, Composure, and also Visual Calculus (?!) caps to 6.

EDIT: Or you can probably do something like 2/3/2/5 and just rely on Superstar's cap boost to raise your key skills while also being a drat good shot and Savoir Faire af

Runa fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 30, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You're gonna need some endurance and volition if you're planning on staying drugged up though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like how super star cop is pretty much Harry on amphetamines.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You're gonna need some endurance and volition if you're planning on staying drugged up though.

Good point, for a MOT-heavy Superstar maybe oughta try to get the Guillaume Le Million thought (Origin of "The Expression") for the PSY cap raise and hang onto Volumetric poo poo Compressor for Endurance.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
gently caress this game, it's ruined the writing of any other vaguely story-related games I care to play due to how good it is. Any other deep, but functional RPG's people can suggest? I played Fallout 1 and 2 and loved them, for a reference of how tolerant I am of oldschool mechanics.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Avalerion posted:

I think I mostly wasn't amused by actual jokes but a lot of dialogue and happenings are plain hilarious due to context. Or maybe context or sarcastic tone I imagined my character using race theorist genuinly cracked me up with his conviction and terminology, especially when you fail attack check. Also "No, I don't think I can handle [whatsitcalled] chimera right now."

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Would 2/6/2/2 be the best for Apocalypse Cop? What is the Apocalypse skill anyway? Inland Empire?
The skill that specifically talks to you while acquiring the Cop of the Apocalypse thought is Half Light, if that helps.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Xarbala posted:

Volition doesn't really do goofy far as I can tell, but it does have one of the most impressive Skill Conversations in the game, and if having to talk shop with Electrochemistry and Drama means getting a little goofy then so be it

I love that interaction. I spent that entire conversation thinking “hmn... there is something wrong here” but I couldn’t put my finger on it. The writing is superb.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Hogama posted:

The skill that specifically talks to you while acquiring the Cop of the Apocalypse thought is Half Light, if that helps.

Yeah, Half Light is the strung-out paranoid doomsayer.

Avalerion posted:

In addition to what people said about Shivers and the intellect skills, Empathy, Volition and Esprit de Corps are pretty key for a good-guy cop playthrough, and a lot of serious solid writing is hiding behind those. Also, reasonable Perception so you notice the opportunities to use your skills in the first place. (For comparison, started a second playthrough with motorics at 1 and my guy can't even see a hole in the wall).

FWIW, my first playthrough as 3/3/1/5 with signature Shivers worked out really well for a good-guy helpful cop build, and motorics skills were a good enough substitute for lower intellect ones.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Inland Empire if you're into your spoilered bit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xarbala posted:

Honestly DE sidesteps the problem with RTWP gameplay that plagued even the best crpgs of old (and some newer ones, like Pillars of Eternity) by, simply, forgoing with a discrete combat system altogether. It's all just skill checks. In this respect it's not unlike modern rules-light pnp games, though with a higher degree of crunch because every single skill you can develop is a character with its own voice, and so every single skill serves a real purpose in the narrative.

It winds up being a truer successor to Planescape Torment than Numenera simply by identifying the worst problem with Planescape and solving it in as elegant and simple a fashion you can imagine. This is what happens when you're not married to the genre's sacred cow of rpg combat.

Now I'm imagining an alternate "normal" version of DE where you have to do a RTWP fight every five minutes. Grind those moralintern goons! Cast pale blast! Demoralise skulls gangers with combat karaoke!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh, is it possible to find Klaasje's passport before she tells you about it? I found the buoy way earlier and one of Harry's inner voices went "Hey idiot, look inside the buoy," but there were no highlights or options to proceed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fangz posted:

Now I'm imagining an alternate "normal" version of DE where you have to do a RTWP fight every five minutes. Grind those moralintern goons! Cast pale blast! Demoralise skulls gangers with combat karaoke!

And this... is to go... even further beyond...!

(inhales for the world's biggest apology)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, is it possible to find Klaasje's passport before she tells you about it? I found the buoy way earlier and one of Harry's inner voices went "Hey idiot, look inside the buoy," but there were no highlights or options to proceed.

Doubt it, since the actual passport isn't in the buoy at all, but in a container on the island.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I can't help but think a high Psyche value is """canon""" as far as Harry goes, he's extremely sensitive from his backstory

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fangz posted:

as previously stated the developers can simply make a play-as-a-child-laborer-doing-dungeoneering spinoff from their setting if they wanted something that would be combat-heavy, except you're killing rats as your next meal because the shitlords you're indentured to are too cheap to feed you rice

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Rookoo posted:

gently caress this game, it's ruined the writing of any other vaguely story-related games I care to play due to how good it is. Any other deep, but functional RPG's people can suggest? I played Fallout 1 and 2 and loved them, for a reference of how tolerant I am of oldschool mechanics.

Nothing recent comes to mind that you wouldn't already have heard about. I imagine the next big thing will be Cyberpunk 2077 and VTM Bloodlines 2.

You could give Shadowrun Returns and its sequels a try if you missed them. They're CRPGs with the new XCOM combat. The first one is a linear whodunnit while the others are more open ended. They feel claustrophobic compared to the original Fallouts, but then again, what doesn't?

Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger are on Steam now too if you don't mind JRPGs. They're old, but have solid stories. FF6 was the genre peak for 16bit, while Chrono Trigger subverted genre tropes and did with time travel what the Flash TV show does.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Don't play Shadow Run Returns, play Shadow Run Hong Kong or Dragonfall. Way more action than this game. Play Shadowrun Returns if you really like the other 2 it came out first and isn't as long or as good.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

frajaq posted:

I can't help but think a high Psyche value is """canon""" as far as Harry goes, he's extremely sensitive from his backstory

High Psyche definitely feels very right, but they did a great job in making most skills feel a canonical part of you, like how Phys Instrument is basically straight up your previous life as a coach, Drama and Authority successes/failures result in you waving your gun around threatening to kill yourself and so on.

My favorite parts of the game were you having an option to choose exact same lines or courses of action as the past-you chose, like passing that Esprit de Corps check when calling in your lost badge and then having an option to say, "I don't want to get better, I want to get worse" in some conversation way down the line. A very elegant and low-key way of integrating your past and present selves merging, as well as making you think about whether you're going to go down the same path or turn away from it and start building yourself anew.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Broken Cog posted:

And Shivers, probably.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

frajaq posted:

I was kinda suprised that at the end everyone runs into the phasmid because it felt like it was tailored specifically to my inland empire-maining weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Somfin posted:

Okay so apparently the "thinker" archetype just gets drat near 100% of the context regarding basically everything that's going on at all times, which I was thoroughly enjoying

Bounced after I kept dying from lack of morale, went back in with a Shivers / Intellect and got almost nothing from anything

I did my first play through on the thinker archetype and found once I had invested a bit of xp or gear into getting health and morale to 2-3 points, it was plenty survivable and I enjoyed having the high logic, visual calculus, etc.

I later dumped a bunch of skill points into perception, hand/eye coordination, etc. as well.