Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://twitter.com/Vinncent/status/1189499585808478209

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

What’s a good news source here? Just had breakfast with a local friend; she swore blind that Globo is ultra left wing (whereas it seems like normal everyday centrist reportage to me) and switched channels to something called balanço geral, which sounds unpleasantly like Fox News’s “Fair and Balanced” byline and which seemed to be nothing but local petty crime reports with short clips shot on people’s cellphones.

(am in SP)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

All major media sucks rear end stick to small independent publications like Carta Capital or Brasil 24/7 instead

E: Also holy crap no I didn't knew the murderers went to Bolsonaro's house that day this is really loving incriminating

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 12:53 on Oct 30, 2019

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Beefeater1980 posted:

What’s a good news source here? Just had breakfast with a local friend; she swore blind that Globo is ultra left wing (whereas it seems like normal everyday centrist reportage to me) and switched channels to something called balanço geral, which sounds unpleasantly like Fox News’s “Fair and Balanced” byline and which seemed to be nothing but local petty crime reports with short clips shot on people’s cellphones.

(am in SP)

I think your friend might be an idiot

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

(am in SP)
:sever:

São Paulo is the greatest and worst city in the world, you can definitely get better friends than one who is obviously chugging the Kool Aid if they think Globo is remotely left wing. It's only "centrist" insofar as their corrupt right-wing neocon buddies in politics got outflanked by Bolsonaro on the extreme right. Your boring centrist press would be something like Estadão.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Even then, Estadão is essentially the newspaper from FIESP.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Beefeater1980 posted:

(am in SP)

Wow find a new friend ASAP

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A lot of the reactionary view of Globo as leftist comes from their Telenovelas having positive LGBT representation, but their journalist bent is very classical right.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Well, it's big enough that actual portuguese press is reporting on it instead of trying to make it a cute thing about "difference of opinion and left wing hysteria". I do still wish you could had a few pundits be slapped across the face rather than quietly having their "Bolso is hated for having different opinions, just make better sounding policies rather than just call him icky!!!1" pieces archived and hidden from search engines.

Globo sends Sic police captains once every few months to go cry on tv on how their hands are tied on not being able to shoot more people they are in exchange of indigenous coverage that only puts "indians upset they can no longer eat their native food 😕" as they describe being hunted down by farmers.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 13:18 on Oct 30, 2019

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
this mystery oil spill going unsolved for months makes me think of a future where Brazil just gets completely and utterly hosed by an infinite stream of oil pouring in nonstop.

Just a tiny bit worrying.

Plutonis posted:

All major media sucks rear end stick to small independent publications like Carta Capital or Brasil 24/7 instead

E: Also holy crap no I didn't knew the murderers went to Bolsonaro's house that day this is really loving incriminating

Wonder how long it will take for the concierge guy that said that to drown on a beach at midnight

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Halser posted:

this mystery oil spill going unsolved for months makes me think of a future where Brazil just gets completely and utterly hosed by an infinite stream of oil pouring in nonstop.

Just a tiny bit worrying.

Wonder how long it will take for the concierge guy that said that to drown on a beach at midnight

The best part of the oil spill is all the "it's coming from Venezuela" bullshit. I think if the current had switched to moving southeast people would have noticed.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/DamaresAlves/status/1189392528124055552

:shepface:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

lmao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/tomphillipsin/status/1189368779987251201?s=21

this guy is wild lmao

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
remember how people used to accuse Dilma of being a hysterical woman unfit to be president?

I don't think she was ever seen mad angry in public, it was mostly based on rumors.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

what the gently caress am I reading

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
loving lol that Moro has ordered the PF to investigate the "calumnious statements" against the president.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
That poor doorman.

Just answered some questions an investigator asked, and now he's going to have Moro and the bozo clan making GBS threads on him, the militias threatening his life, and the chuds saying he's a communist saboteur.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Man he's totally gonna get Epstein'd

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
-president murderer, what happened to that guy that accused you of murder?

oh unfortunately he was murdered you know how the violence is gotta get the police to murder more so we can get less murders

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Annd now Rio's MP is saying that the doorman lied, so nyah-ha, losers.

If it was due to Moro putting his weight on the scales, miltias pressuring him into changing his version or a general snafu, I leave to everyone's judgement.

The chuds already have their narrative and were never going to be swayed, by this or any other scandal. This will insulate thewm even more against coming shitstorms, in fact.

The real question is if there is still a mass of 'independent' people that can still be swayed by non-social media chud outfits, and its size. I don't doubt that the brazilian elites were happy thinking they could use Bozo as they did Temer, getting him to be the gravediffer of popular social policies they hated and then quietly tossed aside.

The thing is, Temer knew his role and never stepped out of it, and was rewarded by being forgotten the moment he was out of power. Bozo actually wants to wield power: appoint his sons to big jobs, get in people's faces, change politics in his image. And unlike temer, or Collor way back, he actually has a base. Media loyal to him, popular and armed segments who have his back.

I'm not sure he and Globo can go back to the cold war they were enjoying before, but I also don't think either is ready for full-out knife fights yet.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

eye for an eye imo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Getting some real Downfall vibes from this.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Eduardo Bolsonaro is once again threatening with a new AI5 in case the opposition "radicalizes"

https://twitter.com/Estadao/status/1189922474365833218

Is important to notice that, in their narrative, someone calling the president names on twitter or a newspaper publishing facts that arent favorable for the government is already extreme and radical

The 33% of the brazilian population that belongs to them (the True People now) is already 100% convinced that a coup is needed ASAP or bolsonaro will fall

I think the only uncertainty now is how much the military really supports them. But I dont think is too pessimistic to say the situation is looking more dangerous each day

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think the only uncertainty now is how much the military really supports them. But I dont think is too pessimistic to say the situation is looking more dangerous each day

They don't even need that much. Just a few generals and it's pretty much a fait accompli, and everyone knows it, which is why no institutions are sticking their necks out to fight too hard on this.

Even in 1964, the regional commanders were mostly against the coup, until one loon from the southern command went ahead and did it anyway, and then all others joined in so as not to leaving him alone as a goofy clown that would make them a laughingstock when he failed.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Why would the military support the unstable Bolsonaro and his shithead sons when they could have an actual General as (acting) president if he's removed?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Because Bozo has the actual backing of the loons. Hardcore evangelicals, militiamen, and frothing social-media hordes.

There are tons of bozo supporters that are openly wary of the armed forces. insane guru Olavo de Carvalho has openly called the Army a disgrace and a helper to the communists.

It it was the armed forces ejectinga leftist, it'd be one thing. But not their messiah, who was stabbed for their sins.

Besides, tons of military officers got cushy jobs under the current admin. They get cash and influence while not being the glass window people can throw stones at. If they take over directly, it's their show. They'll have to deal with the betrayed Bolsonaro faction, the unhapy left that has seen this movie before, and their only backers will be the discredited centrist media and....actually that's it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1189536095907782656

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Ehh, the people that follow Bolsonaro are easily led, it's not like the army isn't able to work with evangelicals and militia. I don't buy that there's that many who will be pissed off at Bolsonaro being ditched if it's the military taking reins. Many of them supported Bolsonaro exactly because they saw him as a pathway back to the military in power. I think he's been doing way too much damage to his brand

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

hoiyes posted:

Ehh, the people that follow Bolsonaro are easily led, it's not like the army isn't able to work with evangelicals and militia. I don't buy that there's that many who will be pissed off at Bolsonaro being ditched if it's the military taking reins. Many of them supported Bolsonaro exactly because they saw him as a pathway back to the military in power. I think he's been doing way too much damage to his brand

I personally doubt that. Look at all the hero worship Moro still gets. Once brazilian pick a political savior, most of them will stick around until they are singularly hosed over.

And likely not even then; Bozo just shat on the retirements of the rank-and-file troops while boosting the top brass, and I'll bet you that his approval rating among them will barely wriggle.

Maybe last year most minions saw Bolsonaro as a way to get the army back in power. The germ has mutated, though. That was before the knifing incident. Before they actually won by being crass and fake. Before they had to worry about Moro, Witzel or Mourao becoming actual viable rivals in the reactionary tide.

olavo de Carvalho may be a dumb loon, but he knows about keeping a cult together. And he put it quite simply: they are to be a movement not against corruption, or pro-christian, or pro-military. They are bolsonarists, first, second and last.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

He's going to apologize to the STF and others as well and said that it wasn't just Carlos who has access to the account.

(In Trump voice) what a loser.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I think you're overestimating the number of true die-hards out there though. Twitter may be utterly lousy with them but that's hardly a good barometer, and they actually seems to be fewer than earlier in his presidency. The few Bolsonaro supporters that would on my Facebook and in the political comment on other friends pages have totally dried up. They may be a hardcore group but they're a small and relatively powerless group. His propaganda arm that built him up for the election was mainly MBL, which is turning away from him. Him and Morao don't seem on best terms, Moro could be the centre-right hero he thinks he is by ditching a corrupt militia president and Globo would probably like to get back to its old mutually beneficial relationship with the Government. If they can present even a semi-united front to move Bozo on, I can't see him having any kind of base to seize power. But this is Brazil and anything can happen.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Polls point out that if there was an election today Bolsonaro would still win against every candidate... except Moro. source: https://www.cartacapital.com.br/politica/lula-e-o-principal-nome-da-esquerda-e-bolsonaro-perde-para-moro-em-2022-diz-pesquisa/

So yeah, don't underestimate his popularity just yet.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Elias_Maluco posted:

Eduardo Bolsonaro is once again threatening with a new AI5 in case the opposition "radicalizes"

https://twitter.com/Estadao/status/1189922474365833218

btw Bolsonaro apologized and dismissed the possibility of a military coup saying "whoever is talking about AI5 is daydreaming". It was a rare instance where he dissed his own son. In response his son walked back on this and said "maybe I was mistaken".

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

hoiyes posted:

I think you're overestimating the number of true die-hards out there though. Twitter may be utterly lousy with them but that's hardly a good barometer, and they actually seems to be fewer than earlier in his presidency. The few Bolsonaro supporters that would on my Facebook and in the political comment on other friends pages have totally dried up. They may be a hardcore group but they're a small and relatively powerless group. His propaganda arm that built him up for the election was mainly MBL, which is turning away from him. Him and Morao don't seem on best terms, Moro could be the centre-right hero he thinks he is by ditching a corrupt militia president and Globo would probably like to get back to its old mutually beneficial relationship with the Government. If they can present even a semi-united front to move Bozo on, I can't see him having any kind of base to seize power. But this is Brazil and anything can happen.

The support that dried up is mostly former PSDB squishes. Evangelicals are still solid for him, as are many people in rio, São Paulo and the South. I don't think his support is ever going to dip below 30% unless we see Argentina-level inflation.

One of my best friends lives and rio and is a pretty apolitical guy (of the insanely rich variety), and even he is freaked out and always tells me how things have changed in the last few years whenever I cal. How the militias own half the city and are quickly putting hooks on the other half, and how the neopentecostals are pretty much closing into their own parallel society. Their own schools, universities, therapists, dentists, you name it.

Moro already had about 600 good opportunities to ditch the government and play the good guy. He won't, because he's the same brand of scum, and a coward. He's not going to throw his hat in the ring and take responsibility for anything like a candidacy unless he truly has no other choice; his style is to abuse the cover of an institution for his benefit by playing to the crowd and never actually risking himself. The Supreme Court is the optimal goal for him, and he knows it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Ruralist wing of NOVO party will probably split because of their support of Minister Salles lol

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The brazilian media world is currently bracing for impact.

Turns out the doorman from last week's shitstorm over Mariele's killers dropping by Bozo's gated community was NOT the one that was discredited by Rio's MP the day after.

But that's just the appetizer (because hosed up poo poo doesn't just keep coming, it escalates):

-Three bigshot generals who got nominated to high position in Bozo's government just suddenly quit today. There's talk of many others about to do the same.

-The biggest media conglomerate of the county, Rede Globo, praised its journalism wing and has hinted that it has a nuke of a revelation about to drop.

So everyone is holding their breaths to see if it's going to be a hyped dud, or the final breaking of the 'system' with the government. And on cue, the government's horde of both chub supporters and bot networks have been lighting social media on fire to discredit whatever may come.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did anyone heard the Greenwald interview on Jovem Pan? I heard Augusto Nunes was there too so there must have been some real poo poo there lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Plutonis posted:

Did anyone heard the Greenwald interview on Jovem Pan? I heard Augusto Nunes was there too so there must have been some real poo poo there lol

https://twitter.com/JefinhoMenes/status/1192475394072612864

Basically he cowardly offended Glenn, Glenn called him a coward, he got mad and slapped Glenn