Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Elyv posted:

Theros: Beyond Spoilers

More draft chaff, but I'm kinda digging this idea of enchantments becoming more like spells with a weak continuous effect. The fight card could actually be playable in monogreen. Rampage of the clans gets its day in the sun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magic Underwear posted:

More draft chaff, but I'm kinda digging this idea of enchantments becoming more like spells with a weak continuous effect. The fight card could actually be playable in monogreen. Rampage of the clans gets its day in the sun?

This was a thing in OG Ravnica.

https://scryfall.com/search?q=set%3Arav+t%3Aaura+r%3Ac+o%3Aenters

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Why are there enchantment creatures? Just to give destroy-enchantment spells more effects?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Arcturas posted:

Why are there enchantment creatures? Just to give destroy-enchantment spells more effects?

A big part of it was that there were the Bestow creatures who could either be auras or creatures if they weren't attached to anything. Unlikely to come back I think as it was weird rules wise and not that popular iirc.

Now it's just more a case of 'Theros = enchantment creatures and devotion" more than anything else I think.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arcturas posted:

That was a thing from OG Theros. https://scryfall.com/search?q=block%3Aths+t%3Acreature+t%3Aenchantment

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Over/Under on them printing an enchantment creature that Dance of the Manse breaks?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rinkles posted:

any word on how these got out? looks like this is a separate source from the earlier one

Looks like they shipped early to a store, looking at what's under the cards.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

berenzen posted:

Over/Under on them printing an enchantment creature that Dance of the Manse breaks?

Again, 0.5 for an enchantment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

berenzen posted:

I don't know if this is :thejoke: but that's not how over/under works! You have to quantify the thing you are asking about!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zhumma posted:

Oh boy more overpriced supplementary poo poo, just keep pouring it down my throat wotc.

hosed up that theyre making more commander decks for people who want to play commander

im probably going to break my no packs rule and buy a box or two of legends, and im curious whats going to be in the Commander Collection: Green box

also wondering if the new zen precons will be 40 bucks like normal

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I wasn't playing then, so I suppose that's why I haven't heard of them. Mechanically, are they just creatures that are vulnerable to enchantment destruction and will trigger anything that triggers off enchantments, or is there something weird like morphing going on?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

are any other format's players broke brained enough that they get mad when more cards are printed?

aside from Old School I guess

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
anyway i feel like this might be Too Much commander decks but also the biggest problem i had with them at the shop was the lovely six months where alliance never had them in stock and the new ones werent out yet so maybe this will help with that

not too much because of new cards just a ton of product releasing

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If that set just reprints Rhystic, Hoof, Cyclonic Rift, Damnation and tutors it would be worth it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Arcturas posted:

I wasn't playing then, so I suppose that's why I haven't heard of them. Mechanically, are they just creatures that are vulnerable to enchantment destruction and will trigger anything that triggers off enchantments, or is there something weird like morphing going on?

The ones that could be cast as auras were weird but I doubt that's coming back. Otherwise nope, just a typeline.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Arcturas posted:

Flavor-wise speaking, they're generally creatures from or heavily influenced by Nyx, the realm of the Theros gods/the night sky.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Commander getting a huge shot in the arm like this fills me with a wisp of hope that they'll stop making skimpy weak poo poo for one of the most popular formats like they have been for the past 2 years

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I hope the commander master's set is only legal in commander so the market is basically only "You need one of these cards, ever."

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Kurieg posted:

I hope the commander master's set is only legal in commander so the market is basically only "You need one of these cards, ever."

Nah, something in there is gonna break Pauper or Legacy.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Arcturas posted:

Constellation is returning, which is “cares about enchantments ETBing” so it juices those.

Imagine we’ll get some other stuff that cares about enchantments in interesting ways, like Starfield of Nyx

And Starfield Mystic is in standard right now, but it would need quite a shell to be playable

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kurieg posted:

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ Good username/post combo. :hmmyes:

Kurieg posted:

Still need a traditional playset if it's an artifact or in a color shared between multiple commanders (I'm always gonna have a mono green, but Temur and Abzan are also fun combinations).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Watch them not put arcane signet in any of the precons though, and it's a pack mythic only lol

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So that leak today is wotc kicking off spoiler season early right? Hoping to distract us from Oko and it barely registered lol

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Koirhor posted:

So that leak today is wotc kicking off spoiler season early right? Hoping to distract us from Oko and it barely registered lol

Something like this has been said about every leak rofl.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

Commander getting a huge shot in the arm like this fills me with a wisp of hope that they'll stop making skimpy weak poo poo for one of the most popular formats like they have been for the past 2 years

I assure you the entire project will be carved out of pure Sheldonium and worthless to commander players, but will accidentally include a legacy staple, making one of the precons unattainable by the casual player.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sheldonium roflmao

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Kurieg posted:

They've acknowledged the cards will still also be legal in Legacy and Vintage(and probably Pauper).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Toshimo posted:

I assure you the entire project will be carved out of pure Sheldonium and worthless to commander players, but will accidentally include a legacy staple, making one of the precons unattainable by the casual player.

we better tweak this legendary commander's gimmick fifteen times so every single number in its box is as conservative as possible
*accidentally prints a 1-mana unconditional counterspell that cantrips*

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

-Commander Collections: Green
8 selected Green reprints with new artwork that “Commander players will be excited to own.”

• Carpet of Flowers
  • Concordant Crossroads
  • Defense of the Heart
  • Food Chain
  • Fyndhorn Elves
  • Hermit Druid
  • Three Visits
  • Worldly Tutor

loving pay me, Wizards.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Toshimo posted:

Yeah the first thing I said after watching the video was, "There's no way they're not accidentally breaking Legacy with that many new cards, they already gently caress up with just 4 or 5 new ones at a time."

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Toshimo posted:

• Carpet of Flowers
  • Concordant Crossroads
  • Defense of the Heart
  • Food Chain
  • Fyndhorn Elves
  • Hermit Druid
  • Three Visits
  • Worldly Tutor

loving pay me, Wizards.

[*]Carpet of Flowers- Good way to inflate value for the set with a card that should be like $2
[*]Concordant Crossroads- Perfect for the draft set
[*]Defense of the Heart- Maybe, see Wordly Tutor
[*]Food Chain- Chase card for the commander set
[*]Fyndhorn Elves- Good chance, no reason not to
[*]Hermit Druid- It's worth $6, why not
[*]Three Visits- Finance fuckers would lose their minds
[*]Worldly Tutor- Seems like a good one, can't have 2 $15 cards, it's either this or Defense of the Heart

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I refuse to believe there are mtgfinance types attached to P3K cards because it implies there are P3K cards to which to be attached.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'd enjoy some non-foil Fyndhorn Elves with new art for sure.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The American Dream posted:

[*]Carpet of Flowers- Good way to inflate value for the set with a card that should be like $2
[*]Concordant Crossroads- Perfect for the draft set
[*]Defense of the Heart- Maybe, see Wordly Tutor
[*]Food Chain- Chase card for the commander set
[*]Fyndhorn Elves- Good chance, no reason not to
[*]Hermit Druid- It's worth $6, why not
[*]Three Visits- Finance fuckers would lose their minds
[*]Worldly Tutor- Seems like a good one, can't have 2 $15 cards, it's either this or Defense of the Heart

Ok, gimme Bloom Tender.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
70 commanders? that's a lot

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Toshimo posted:

I like that there's only one way to play commander and nobody evaluates cards differently

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Can someone explain to those of us who don't play Commander what the problem is with Sheldon Menery?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MikeCrotch posted:

Can someone explain to those of us who don't play Commander what the problem is with Sheldon Menery?

He's got a very specific idea of what commander should be which is at odds with how a lot of people play it

There you go, that's all it is, people disagree about the right way to play the format that started as throwing bullshit together and seeing what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MikeCrotch posted:

They don't have friends to play commander with over beer and pretzels, and take offense to the idea that the idea of the format was to be played with friends over beer and pretzels.