Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Beefeater1980 posted:

Is there any benefit to winning the suggestion check with Klaasje right at the start of the game? She seems to like you when you fail it.

Hogama posted:

I saw one streamer actually pass the Suggestion check with Klaasje. The response was far more muted than the failure one.
Just reinforcing to me that a game of succeeding with all your rolls isn't necessarily going to get you what you want, though it will be different from frequent failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

You also get to ask her stuff about what happened in your room way before the interrogation

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
only if you pass some check

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Yeah, I just got the game yesterday and the first time around with points on the detect lies stat I could have a decent conversation with her about what happened and ask her follow up questions as she was heading back to her room. Then I turned on the ceiling light and died and had to restart the game without a save and didn't get either of those options the second time around.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

God drat, just wrapped this up after playing a couple hours every few nights since it came out, what a good experience. I'm seriously torn whether to start another game or save the replay experience for a lot later down the line.

I went all in on a 1/5/5/1 character and ended up with 10-15 points in Inland Empire, Esprit De Corps, Empathy and Shivers. They all added so much to the playthrough that I'm sure going hard in the opposite direction will give just as much to enjoy.

I'm definitely interested in a 5/1/1/5 build just to see all the perception additions that my unskilled guy was blind to all game.

Are there many legendary/godly level passive skill checks in the INT/MOT trees? I had a couple with Empathy that were 20+ pop up near the of the game when you get a chance to talk to the phasmid on the island. Just small bits of flavour text but I really enjoyed getting to see them. I thought the other trees might have less if only because the PSY skills are so character/emotion-based. But you never know when you're failing those checks so there could be plenty more of all of them.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 31, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Would it be a fun idea to do a first playthrough with none of the supernatural skills?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
How comfortable are you save scumming? One of them is required to progress.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
ME AND JUNIOR OFFICER KUNNO DE RUYTER JUST BLEW THIS CASE WIDE OPEN

I understand that they wanted to do a sequel with someone else, but holy poo poo do I want more Disco Cop.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mulva posted:

If you're diligent enough about collecting info and talking to everyone you can collect a ridiculous amount of positive modifiers to make it much easier.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mulva posted:

What’s the lowest chance to succeed you can end up with on that check if you do all the side quests in the area? You could conceivably end up needing to save scum even with the skill maxed just by the nature of RNG. They really shouldn’t have locked progress behind one specific check (I even wonder if this is a bug, or there’s another way people somehow don’t know about yet), and I also don’t think they should have implemented critical failures, considering you need to pass some checks to progress in the game.

Grondoth posted:

ME AND JUNIOR OFFICER KUNNO DE RUYTER JUST BLEW THIS CASE WIDE OPEN

I understand that they wanted to do a sequel with someone else, but holy poo poo do I want more Disco Cop.

I really look forward to seeing what other types of things ZA/UM can do, but I also really hope they do some DLC or an expansion of some kind to give us more time with Kim and Disco Cop.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How's the replay value on this as far as going through as different builds and poo poo?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zerilan posted:

How's the replay value on this as far as going through as different builds and poo poo?

pretty decent; the main flow of the story will always be the same but different skills and dialogue choices will give you vastly different bits of writing; and some sidequests branch significantly

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 31, 2019

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I am 100% ready for a playthrough where Authority shuts their loving yap I tell you that much

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Somfin posted:

I am 100% ready for a playthrough where Authority shuts their loving yap I tell you that much

On the other hand high Authority/Endurance/Physical Instrument fascist hypermasculine evil cop is pretty fun to play in a hosed up way.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

On the other hand high Authority/Endurance/Physical Instrument fascist hypermasculine evil cop is pretty fun to play in a hosed up way.

I get a strong Undertale 100% run vibe from considering that combo running my head and I like not liking it

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm ending up more of a sorry cop than anything else, hope that's not bad. :ohdear:

Think I'm almost done with the first day... , did the autopsy up to finding a bullet, lied about doing a quest for the unions dude, found my clothes, got a map, paid for the hotel - am I making good progress? Is there a time limit on things?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Avalerion posted:

am I making good progress? Is there a time limit on things?

yes. not as such. you can miss a couple of quests and conversations by taking too long but it's nbd. you can't lose the game or anything

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Question: Is Volition just a good feel that validates like 90% of your life decisions while kneecapping your more obviously destructive urges? Because I've started putting points into them and they just keep piping up to say "or you know not that, that's a good option" and I love them for it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Somfin posted:

Question: Is Volition just a good feel that validates like 90% of your life decisions while kneecapping your more obviously destructive urges? Because I've started putting points into them and they just keep piping up to say "or you know not that, that's a good option" and I love them for it.

Volition is the only skill that can be trusted.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Somfin posted:

Volition is basically your sanity, it tempers the other skills inputs.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Somfin posted:

Volition is awesome. It never gives you bad advice (though it might give you boring advice) and you can pretty much trust that whatever it suggests is true and a good idea.

Roobanguy posted:

I think Shivers can always be trusted. Inland Empire wants you to believe every single thing has a supernatural explanation, but I can’t recall that it ever actually led me to harm, just hokeyness. I don’t think Esprit de Corps ever told me something harmful or wrong, either.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Not sure if inland empire is “supernatural sense” or just “insanity”.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Inland Empire and the horrific necktie buddy up to help at a crucial scene

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Volition is awesome. It never gives you bad advice (though it might give you boring advice) and you can pretty much trust that whatever it suggests is true and a good idea.
Volition is a centrist and will be the first up against the wall when the second Revolution comes.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Avalerion posted:

It certainly wants you to think it’s supernatural. Shivers is explicitly supernatural. Inland empire might be, or it might not. I think of it as your character’s ability to take in and process relationships and data that are too large and complex for words or cognitive representation, which inland empire presents to you as weird supernatural stuff because that’s the only way your mind can really represent it. Whether the origin of the data is supernatural or not isn’t very important. It does really know what’s up about a lot of stuff, it just packages it in a lot of weird bullshit.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Avalerion posted:

Inland Empire is right far too often to really be outright insanity. It definitely is in some respects but more often than not it seems to be an some kind of low key second sight, almost like your detective instincts preserved in some foggy, gut-driven way after you lost your memories, and in your current state you can't really understand where that instinct comes from so your character can chalk it up to supernatural elements.

Keep in mind that while a lot of what Inland Empire says is incredibly outlandish, the truth often ends up aligning with it in some abstracted way.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Inland Empire is basically Hyperimagination.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So what the heck is Shivers? From the name and the way Harry describes it to Kim I thought it was supposed to be withdrawal pangs, but thematically that doesn't quite gel with it giving him supposedly extrasensory visions of stuff far away. Especially that bit near the end where it shows you Klaasje getting out of the country safely. Is it just, like, his recollection of what he knows he can do while sober extrapolating fragments of info together?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

If you're diligent enough about collecting info and talking to everyone you can collect a ridiculous amount of positive modifiers to make it much easier.

yeah, you can get +19 to it, lol. i think it was a 18 check? so with 0 shivers you should be at 60% and you can get a lot in clothing and thoughts. people just arent diligent

Omi no Kami posted:

So what the heck is Shivers? From the name and the way Harry describes it to Kim I thought it was supposed to be withdrawal pangs, but thematically that doesn't quite gel with it giving him supposedly extrasensory visions of stuff far away. Especially that bit near the end where it shows you Klaasje getting out of the country safely. Is it just, like, his recollection of what he knows he can do while sober extrapolating fragments of info together?

it is revachol. right down to the prediction that its gonna get nuked in 22 years

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Ephemeron posted:

Volition is a centrist and will be the first up against the wall when the second Revolution comes.

I think the four stats generally map pretty closely to the four political ideologies. Intellect is communist, psyche is moralist, physique is fascist and motorics is ultra-liberal. I didn’t really invest in motorics on my last run, but I saw the other connections. I just started a new character and interfacing was already telling me to steal stuff and get money.

I don’t think Volition is really your conscience, so much as it is your stability and will towards self-preservation. I don’t know if it would want you to sacrifice your life for someone else’s for example. You probably shouldn’t listen to it every single time, but it’s a good voice to have in your head.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

volition is wrong a single time and thats about klassje, at the end. it thinks shes the killer still

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Inland Empire is your internal landscape and at times your ability to probe the consciousness of others, Shivers is your external. They're pretty closely connected, hence why I think high Psy/Fys was probably the most emotionally resonant playthrough I had, especially with the phasmid at the end.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Roobanguy posted:

I wouldn't bet on that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mulva posted:

I wouldn't bet on that.

Like I said, Volition feels like it's basically an enabler / counterbalance skill. I'm very nervous about listening to it if it's the only one speaking.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ephemeron posted:

Volition is the one that outright steps in if you try to refuse the Communism thought to tell you 'no, you must do this, even if it's impossible', so this is wrong.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ephemeron posted:

Wrong, empathy is the raging centrist

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Somfin posted:

Like I said, Volition feels like it's basically an enabler / counterbalance skill. I'm very nervous about listening to it if it's the only one speaking.

It is your will, and the closest to the core of your personality. 99% of the time it'll be right.

The counter-point to that statement is you are a deeply scarred person, and nothing about you is wholly undamaged. It is, on balance, the least damaged part of you. Shivers gets a pass because it's not really a part of you

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Somfin posted:

i'd say think of Volition as your ability to be a good person/better yourself. along with being your self control that is.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm new to the thread, I was playing the lovely poo poo game known as Outer Worlds and kept complaining about how dumb all the black and white "capitalism vs communism" writing in it was and I was directed to this. I'm several hours in and this game fucks. It feels like Planescape Torment but the most interesting character is me!

Roobanguy posted:

i'd say think of Volition as your ability to be a good person/better yourself. along with being your self control that is.

I'm the straight-edge most-responsible person amongst all my friends in real life so I took volition as my speciality skill in game. Volition egged me on to go Full Communism just because of how challenging it would be to succeed. Volition also let me overcome my sense of shame so I could scream at some rich rear end in a top hat for Ŕ130 and finally pay off my hotel tab.

So yeah Volition is your determination but can push you towards being obstinate.

Avalerion posted:

It's literally named after a David Lynch movie. It's the "Agent Dale Cooper" supernatural detective powers, where ghosts talk to you from inanimate objects and stuff. I'm definitely doing a Dale Copper playthrough after this one.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Night10194 posted:

Volition is the one that outright steps in if you try to refuse the Communism thought to tell you 'no, you must do this, even if it's impossible', so this is wrong.

No, volition tells you to do it *because* it's impossible. My read is that volition's angle here is that actually doing the gulags is probably bad, but hey, you gotta have some hope.