Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I will say exactly one thing for Abrams and that’s that he knows how to make a spaceship look good on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Archer666 posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head arou d this. Can you explain this?

I'm saying that Last Samurai, while not being a straight white savior narrative is probably closer to being so than Lawrence of Arabia.

Exactly how close (or far) can probably be argued. I haven't seen Last Samurai nearly as many times as Lawrence, which I also think is a much better movie.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Obi-Wan: We had our words, a common spat. So I kissed him upside the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat. My name is High Ground.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Applewhite posted:

I will say exactly one thing for Abrams and that’s that he knows how to make a spaceship look good on screen.

I think Gareth Edwards (or whoever he had working on that particular aspect of the film) has him beat. Rogue one's spaceships had a much better feeling when it came to scale and speed/manoeuvrability. They felt like they had some weight to them, and that you could reach out and touch something that was physically there. The trailer to ROS looks (IMO) like some sort of CGI bukakke from the prequels.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
There’s always someone at work that will refer to last samurai as some white savior story about how Tom cruise is the best samurai. It feels like we saw entirely different movies but he is referencing events that actually occurred in the film so I don’t even know

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Blistex posted:

I think Gareth Edwards (or whoever he had working on that particular aspect of the film) has him beat. Rogue one's spaceships had a much better feeling when it came to scale and speed/manoeuvrability. They felt like they had some weight to them, and that you could reach out and touch something that was physically there. The trailer to ROS looks (IMO) like some sort of CGI bukakke from the prequels.

The Abrams shot seems evocative of D-Day. Nonetheless, it does look badass, no doubt about it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Big Beef City posted:

Vader: They didn't TELL you about your father...
Luke: He told me YOU killed him!
Vader [still in James Earl Jones voice]: ... Jerry was a race car driver. Drove so goddamn fast. Never did win NO checkered flag, but he never did come in last.
Luke: No! NOOO! That's not possible!

---

[Han approaches Kylo on the bridge]
Han: Captain Pierce was a strong man. Strong as any man alive. It was stuck in his CRAW that they made him retire at the age of 65.
Kylo: ...I know what I must do.

---

[Kylo stares down Rey over a lightsaber to tell her about her real parents]
Kylo: Jerry was a RACE CAR driver. 22 years old. Had too many cold BEERS one night. Wrapped himself around a telephone pole.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
It’s like this thread got infected with an endless Primus loop for no reason.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

There’s always someone at work that will refer to last samurai as some white savior story about how Tom cruise is the best samurai. It feels like we saw entirely different movies but he is referencing events that actually occurred in the film so I don’t even know

The argument would be a lot easier if Tom didn't require that his hair still look strand-perfect even in the crucial final scenes. That is exactly the wrong visual marker, as though he's somehow above it all. But if you can take the minor step of accepting that he's crazy as hell personally, the film is otherwise wholly respectable.

Kuato posted:

The Abrams shot seems evocative of D-Day. Nonetheless, it does look badass, no doubt about it.

If by "badass" you mean he put tons of crap onscreen to the point that I'm crying laughing up until the moment someone says it looks cool in a serious manner at which point I chalk up one more argument against ever producing children in this life because I don't want to doom any future human to grow up on a planet with such people running around.

Then yeah, that looks real "badass".

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The constant lense flares are kind of cool imo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

revwinnebago posted:

The argument would be a lot easier if Tom didn't require that his hair still look strand-perfect even in the crucial final scenes. That is exactly the wrong visual marker, as though he's somehow above it all. But if you can take the minor step of accepting that he's crazy as hell personally, the film is otherwise wholly respectable.

If by "badass" you mean he put tons of crap onscreen to the point that I'm crying laughing up until the moment someone says it looks cool in a serious manner at which point I chalk up one more argument against ever producing children in this life because I don't want to doom any future human to grow up on a planet with such people running around.

Then yeah, that looks real "badass".

Apropos of nothing when is the Starcraft feature film due to come out?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

StarCraft: The Ghostly Threat

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Blistex posted:

It's so dense, there's so much going on in every shot

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's like poetry, it's as much as you can fit in the page crammed all together

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Looking forward to horses v. star destroyer fight.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I have mixed feelings about The Last Samurai but overall they're very positive

The scene where Hiroyuki Sanada beats Tom Cruise's rear end in the rain is incredible

The scene where Cruise dual-wields katanas and fights off like 5 assassins at once is not

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

what were people's impressions of rotj at the time when a second death star appeared? were they as weary as people nowadays saw the third death star in tfa? and how weary will they be when the fourth death star shows up in return of skywalker?

I know I could like look it up and such but I know someone else probably will for me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

piratepilates posted:

what were people's impressions of rotj at the time when a second death star appeared? were they as weary as people nowadays saw the third death star in tfa? and how weary will they be when the fourth death star shows up in return of skywalker?

I know I could like look it up and such but I know someone else probably will for me

'he's really running out of ideas'

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Two death stars connected at the midsection, one elongated yet girthy laser array protruding from the intersection point.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

Two death stars connected at the midsection, one elongated yet girthy laser array protruding from the intersection point.

*Eagerly puts on 3D glasses*

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The band were technically Jizz Wailing
:goonsay:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I read this is in an Australian accent.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

'E says e killed is own father!

Whatis'e some kinda Oedipus oval office!?

*Lightsaber noise*

Crickey!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Big Beef City posted:

'E says e killed is own father!

Whatis'e some kinda Oedipus oval office!?

*Lightsaber noise*

Crickey!

Thank you for this.

So earlier this night I got back from taking my little guy trick or treating. I figure I saw about 200 kids out and about. 2 of them were dressed in Star Wars costumes which are still all over Toys R Us, Walmart, and various Dollar Stores(so supply is definitely not the problem). One boy was dressed up in a Phasma costume, and another boy was in a Darth Vader costume. Is there a report on Disney's fiscal quarter or how much Star Wars merch they've moved in the recent past? Because I (working in a K-8 school) have seen little to no SW presence for at least a year.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

piratepilates posted:

I was twelve, the coolness of the design and the fleet battle and the Luke and Vader stuff blew my mind. Just a little too old to find the Ewoks endearing. At that time I was not yet edgy enough to say ‘oh no, a Death 2TAR more like’.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ok yeah this is really good

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

piratepilates posted:

The real problem is that you can't both have a "get the band back together" plot and also have a new movie at the same time. You need to pick one. ROTJ had a lot of get the band back together, except the twist is Han has to be down on the planet while Luke is in the throne room, so how will the band get back together?

Like if TFA had ended up with Luke and Leia and Han in the Falcon together, it could have worked. Or if TFA had only featured cameos from the old cast but Luke was just an instructor and Han just came through with a supply run and the new cast did all the heavy lifting, that works.

Trying to have the old cast be the lynchpin of the plot while expecting us to develop interest in new characters?

It'll be great!

NARRATOR: It wasn't.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dudeness posted:

super laser is stored in the balls

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's a testament to the actors that I still care about most of the main characters, and IMO that's what's keeping the sequel trilogy's head above water. Since we mostly like and root for Rey, Finn, and Poe it's possible to still stick the third act landing.

revwinnebago posted:

NARRATOR: It wasn't.

Rutibex posted:

super laser is stored in the balls

imagine three death stars on the edge of a cliff

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 1, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Cant wait for them to introduce the death star death star. A death star that only exists to blow up other death stars.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Starkiller was a shotgun that blew up multiple planets in the same system. The next escalation would I guess to do the Sun Crusher and blow up stars.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Lol I forgot that they blew up 5 count em 5! planets full of life and civilizations

Then in the second movie nobody could be bothered to help fight the baddies

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah that's because Republic built those death stars imo. They are totally cool with blowing poo poo up.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Does anyone have the script page where Luke and Had do space 911?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Kazak posted:

Lol I forgot that they blew up 5 count em 5! planets full of life and civilizations

Well, it's not like they had a starcrusher/deathstar/whatever. If those people have learnt anything it's that someone'll deal with it for you.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kazak posted:

To be charitable to the movies, it’s not so much that they couldn’t be bothered as that everyone is still reeling from the destruction of those five planets, which included the entire galactic government and everyone in it. TFA and TLJ take place over the course of like, a week. Even Bush took a couple days to start a loving war, and he had a completely intact government to work with.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I mean you can fill in the blanks that Hosnia was a successful crippling decapitation strike and they moved in from the unknown region bases to consolidate power quickly, but they really need stuff like the briefing room scene in ANH to give just a little building to the world around the characters because this is not a blank we should have to fill in IMO. Not to the galactic CSPAN level of watching parliamentary procedure in the prequels, just a quick walk and talk scene where a First Order senior officer is walking with Hux or Kylo and gets a quick line to the effect of "with the Republic fleet and leadership defeated, we were able to move into key systems quickly, and none of the local garrisons will dare to stand up to us with such a show of force." Then quickly get it back to the character stuff by having that lead into another psychic "no you hang up no you hang up" Reylo late night phone call, but throw a quick bone to the worldbuilding.

Alas.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Fwiw I think the Death Star redux in ROTJ works a lot better than it otherwise might because the familiarity of it is integrated into the narrative and used against both the protagonists and the viewer. There's a sense of firmer expectation entering it which might not be present otherwise, but then the momentum shifts almost immediately once it's revealed to be a trap. Dramatically it functions much differently than ANH did. To use a tortured sports analogy, ROTJ knows you've seen its fastball and expects you to be sitting on it, and then throws you a changeup instead. This is in contrast to TFA, which throws a worse version of the same fastball because it's trying to imitate the OT without understanding the technique

Kazak posted:

Kind of incredible that nobody with any authority to affect decisions ever said "yo maybe this is too much." There's a lot of reasons Starkiller is massively less effective on the viewer than Alderaan but the sheer over the top scale of it is numbing for the viewer rather than horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

lofi posted:

Well, it's not like they had a starcrusher/deathstar/whatever. If those people have learnt anything it's that someone'll deal with it for you.

Yeah it's not like there's a huge portion of the plot dedicated to arms dealers who have massive reserves of ships and weapons ready to roll, and there's certainly no issue with the plot glossing over the fact that these people would be hugely pissed at someone cutting off the head of their whole operation and be totally desperate to offload their cargoes on any resistance who would want to bring a level of order back that would facilitate trade to the point where ships and ammo would be essentially free to anyone who showed up with a crew ready to fight back.

Oh wait.