Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wait it's the criminal lawyer's guide to criminal law?

Lawyers ITT, would this obviously valuable resource have helped you in the path to your illustrious career as a public defender?

E: so far all I've learned is that I won't go to jail for firing Irish people. Supposedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's also a whole section on constitutional law, and another on criminal procedure. And another separate thing where he goes into terrorism. And a patreon!
I have no idea if he still practices law.

But sometimes he goes months without updating the site so I suspect he does.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Leperflesh posted:

What do you guys think about the illustrated guide to law?
This thing:
http://lawcomic.net/guide/

I've been through it a couple times and while he goes way off the rails sometimes and his latest extended screeds about prehistorical human cultures is a bunch of bullshit, the early basics he put up about how the law works and why it's built the way it is was really compelling and interesting to me so I'm hoping it's not also full of errors and omissions.

Seems completely unrelated to law, or at least the practice of law, basic fundamental tenets of legal philosophy at least as taught by the continent where legal philosophy and history originated and is simplified to the point where it doesn't teach you anything useful. It's also a terrible loving comic. 0/10 stars, don't waste your time.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BonerGhost posted:

Wait it's the criminal lawyer's guide to criminal law?

Lawyers ITT, would this obviously valuable resource have helped you in the path to your illustrious career as a public defender?

E: so far all I've learned is that I won't go to jail for firing Irish people. Supposedly.

I like to think my illustrious career as a public defender helped him in his path to draw the comics.

They've been around for a while, and they do a good job of explaining foundational legal concepts that even most educated people don't quite get.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

joat mon posted:

I like to think my illustrious career as a public defender helped him in his path to draw the comics.

As in you got him off death row so he's still alive to produce them?

Or you got him on death row so he has time to "research" and produce them?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
The second worst clients are those that think they have a foundational understanding of the law, especially from some pop culture source

Worst clients are lawyers

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
lmk if you want a summary of the topline comm sci research in deception detection

short version is that we have a couple broad competing theoretical frameworks (interpersonal deception theory and information manipulation theory) that work quite well under a decently broad set of circumstances, but absolutely not reliably enough for almost all military or law enforcement uses and definitely not for courtrooms (though the main group doing research on the subject at U Michigan got a bunch of DoD and FBI grants early in the Obama administration and stopped publishing suddenly, so who knows).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 31, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

lmk if you want a summary of the topline comm sci research in deception detection

I'm curious.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

I'm curious.

No you're not, that's a lie

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

No you're not, that's a lie

You got me, it's a lie.

Be wary though, because sometimes I lie.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

You got me, it's a lie.

Be wary though, because sometimes I lie.

Basically, truth is like four sphinxes on the edge of a cliff, one always tells a lie one always tells the truth, one's slept with his study buddy and the last is friends with the judge.

Law works the same way

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I rarely never read any relevant documents on the topic I'm speaking on so I don't even know when I'm lying and when I'm not so good luck reading me fuckers!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Speaking of lying, I'm interested in that "the whole truth" segment of the swear. Are people ever convicted of perjury for lies of omission? Or can't someone more or less plausibly argue that they "forgot" to mention some important detail?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Leperflesh posted:

Speaking of lying, I'm interested in that "the whole truth" segment of the swear. Are people ever convicted of perjury for lies of omission? Or can't someone more or less plausibly argue that they "forgot" to mention some important detail?

Very very rarely under the federal perjury statute. 46 years ago the Supreme Court held that:

quote:

While "the lower federal courts have not dealt with the question often," and while their expressions do not deal with unresponsive testimony and are not precisely in point, "it may be said that they preponderate against the respondent's contention." United States v. Norris, 300 U.S. at 300 U. S. 576. The cases support petitioner's position that the perjury statute is not to be loosely construed, nor the statute invoked simply because a wily witness succeeds in derailing the questioner -- so long as the witness speaks the literal truth. The burden is on the questioner to pin the witness down to the specific object of the questioner's inquiry.
It may well be that petitioner's answers were not guileless, but were shrewdly calculated to evade. Nevertheless, we are constrained to agree with Judge Lumbard, who dissented from the judgment of the Court of Appeals, that any special problems arising from the literally true but unresponsive answer are to be remedied through the "questioner's acuity," and not by a federal perjury prosecution.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/409/352/

There have been a couple of cases that tested those boundaries but didn't go anywhere. The DOJ manual follows this:

quote:

Occasionally, a witness will try to mislead the inquiry by giving answers to questions that, although literally true, are evasive or unresponsive. In Bronston v. United States, 409 U.S. 352 (1973), the United States Supreme Court unanimously held that such conduct does not violate 18 U.S.C. § 1621, reasoning that "if a witness evades, it is the lawyer's responsibility to recognize the evasion and to bring the witness back to the mark, to flush out the whole truth with the tools of adversary examination." Id. at 358-59. Thus, the jury does not focus on whether the statement was intended to mislead or divert the examination, but rather considers whether the declarant "does not believe his answer to be true." Id. at 359. See also, United States v. Debrow, 346 U.S. 374, 376 (1953).

Answers to ambiguous questions similarly cannot support perjury prosecutions, particularly if it is unreasonable to expect the defendant to understand the question posed.

https://www.justice.gov/jm/criminal-resource-manual-1753-perjury-cases-special-problems-and-defenses-evasive-and

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Interesting. So, the clause in the oath that you have to swear to tell the whole truth is one of those things in law (or the procedure of law or whatever you want to call it) is just advising the witness/defendant that questioners can pursue them to give more complete answers if they believe their answers are incomplete or evasive, e.g. as a defendant answering questions on the stand, my attorney could not successfully object to a prosecutor's question on the grounds that "he already gave an answer and isn't sworn to give a complete answer." Although presumably the 5th amendment still applies? I seem to recall that if you start answering questions then you've waived your 5th amendment right and have to keep giving answers?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

5th amendment is only if you personally are in criminal jeopardy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah so that only covers if I'm being evasive because I don't want to self-incriminate, I can't legally evade questions and give a not-whole truth for anything else.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even if evasion doesn’t lead to perjury, your entire testimony is at risk of being thrown out and your credibility is severely weakened if left in

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I have two family members who got into a lovely fight with each other that i didnt witness, apparently they got bruised and bloody and both immediately filed charges against each other
Now neither wants to deal with the incoming legal hell and costs, or presumably family fracturing, so im trying to figure out how i can help them mutually drop charges for assault. Both are amenable to this.
Im in california and i was wondering...is that even a thing they can do? And where? The police station? Courthouse?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Leperflesh posted:

Interesting. So, the clause in the oath that you have to swear to tell the whole truth is one of those things in law (or the procedure of law or whatever you want to call it) is just advising the witness/defendant that questioners can pursue them to give more complete answers if they believe their answers are incomplete or evasive, e.g. as a defendant answering questions on the stand, my attorney could not successfully object to a prosecutor's question on the grounds that "he already gave an answer and isn't sworn to give a complete answer." Although presumably the 5th amendment still applies? I seem to recall that if you start answering questions then you've waived your 5th amendment right and have to keep giving answers?

you can object on the grounds of asked and answered, depending on question and answer the judge will rule one way or the other

the oath doesn't mean anything other than you are giving testimony under the threat of perjury. "the whole truth" is not an actual thing. how you answer the questions and how much info you include or volunteer is a part of your trial strategy catered towards your goals in the case

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks for the answers, that's about what I figured I guess.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I have two family members who got into a lovely fight with each other that i didnt witness, apparently they got bruised and bloody and both immediately filed charges against each other
Now neither wants to deal with the incoming legal hell and costs, or presumably family fracturing, so im trying to figure out how i can help them mutually drop charges for assault. Both are amenable to this.
Im in california and i was wondering...is that even a thing they can do? And where? The police station? Courthouse?

They might be hosed. My experience in California is typically it is up to the DA if they are going to prosecute.

If they want it done with they can let the DA know, there should be a victim advocate on the case.

Edit: better yet if they have defense attorneys already maybe let them know. Communications with the DA advocate aren't confidential.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
They should talk to their lawyers, not the DA anything.
Family members saying they don't want to prosecute probably won't help at all.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TheKevman posted:

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

At this point...talk to VICE and/or the FBI. That story sounds very close to this one (credit to carillon for sending this one my way):

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43k7z3/nationwide-fake-host-scam-on-airbnb

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah reading that opening paragraph made it sound quite similar to your experience TheKevman, really sounded quite the same.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Well, if they both take the fifth and refuse to testify, and there is no other evidence . . .

My advice is, they should each Google "prisoner's dilemma" and then talk to an attorney in their area. Also don't talk to cops

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
E wrong thread

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 2, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Legal profession question: When you're involved with selecting a jury, how many people typically get punted per acceptable sane person?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Javid posted:

Legal profession question: When you're involved with selecting a jury, how many people typically get punted per acceptable sane person?
Assuming you're not talking about peremptory challenges (legally acceptable sane person but I don't want you as a juror), .10 to .05.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Javid posted:

Really depends. Also lots of sane people get punted because they’re too sane for the other side. Most always lawyers like to use their challenges. Anyone ranting like a crazy person gets kicked for cause. One you use your strikes you’re stuck with whoever’s left. Devil you know, etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

What do you guys think about the illustrated guide to law?
This thing:
http://lawcomic.net/guide/

I've been through it a couple times and while he goes way off the rails sometimes and his latest extended screeds about prehistorical human cultures is a bunch of bullshit, the early basics he put up about how the law works and why it's built the way it is was really compelling and interesting to me so I'm hoping it's not also full of errors and omissions.

Reddit.com/r/legaladvice likes it, which is damning.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

joat mon posted:

Assuming you're not talking about peremptory challenges (legally acceptable sane person but I don't want you as a juror), .10 to .05.

I'm talking about ratio of humans who get dragged to intake on a given day vs. how many you actually expect to seat.

Basically, mine came up this week, I didn't get called, and I'm just curious what kind of a workload they called in 360 people for/how they eyeball it/etc.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Javid posted:

I'm talking about ratio of humans who get dragged to intake on a given day vs. how many you actually expect to seat.

Basically, mine came up this week, I didn't get called, and I'm just curious what kind of a workload they called in 360 people for/how they eyeball it/etc.

Depends but even little courthouses usually subpoena 150-200, get like 100-150 to show up, and 14 get seated. Half don’t ever get put into the box for voir dire.

Bigger courts usually call a massive panel and put them in various courtrooms over the course of the week. Basically every courthouse in America is different.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Javid posted:

In D.C.:

quote:

In 2014, the Superior Court Criminal Division held 367 jury trials and the
Civil Division had 105 cases reach judgment from a jury trial. This represents 31,345 prospective jurors reporting for service, an average of 169 per day, with 24,404 sent to voir dire and 5,657 selected for panels. To reach those numbers, in 2014 the Superior Court sent out 150,454 summons, of which 22,027 were returned as undeliverable, 70,715 were never responded to, and 12,898 were responded to with a request for deferment.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 6, 2019

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Also depends on the judge. Some judges recognize that some employers don’t actually give a poo poo about legal protections for employees that have to go to jury duty. Some don’t.

Also depends on the case. Famous capital murder trials, like the aurora theatre shooting, go through thousands of potential jurors

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EwokEntourage posted:

Also depends on the judge. Some judges recognize that some employers don’t actually give a poo poo about legal protections for employees that have to go to jury duty. Some don’t.

Also depends on the case. Famous capital murder trials, like the aurora theatre shooting, go through thousands of potential jurors

I was going to ask how many the Guzmán trial went through, but I can Google as well as anyone and NBC says:

quote:

The jury for his case, which is expected to last four months, was whittled down from almost 1,000 prospective panelists.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Court documents unsealed at the request of VICE News and the New York Times on the eve of jury deliberations contained allegations from a witness who claimed Chapo had drugged and raped girls as young as 13.

El Chapo’s lawyers denied the allegations, saying they “lack any corroboration and were deemed too prejudicial and unreliable to be admitted at trial.”

I mentioned on Twitter that the judge was likely going to meet with the jurors in private and ask whether they had seen the story. The juror said they read my tweet before arriving at the courthouse and reported what was coming to other jurors: “I had told them if you saw what happened in the news, just make sure that the judge is coming in and he's gonna ask us, so keep a straight face. So he did indeed come to our room and ask us if we knew, and we all denied it, obviously.”

The juror who spoke with VICE News said that “for sure” five jurors who were involved in the deliberations, plus two of the alternates, had at least heard about the child rape allegations against El Chapo. The juror said it didn’t seem to factor into the verdict.

“We did talk about it. Jurors were like, you know, ‘If it was true, it was obviously disgusting, you know, totally wrong. But if it's not true, whatever, it's not true,’” the juror recalled. “That didn't change nobody's mind for sure. We weren't really hung up on that. It was just like a five-minute talk and that's it, no more talking about that.”

Asked why they didn’t fess up to the judge when asked about being exposed to media coverage, the juror said they were worried about the repercussions. The punishment likely would have been a dismissal from the jury, but they feared something more serious.

“I thought we would get arrested,” the juror said. “I thought they were going to hold me in contempt.… I didn't want to say anything or rat out my fellow jurors. I didn't want to be that person. I just kept it to myself, and I just kept on looking at your Twitter feed.”

The juror said at least seven people on the jury were aware of a story published Jan. 12 by the New York Post about an alleged affair between Lichtman and one of his clients. At the request of the lawyers, Judge Cogan met privately with the jury to ask a vague question about whether anyone had been exposed to any recent media coverage. The juror said the group responded honestly: They hadn’t seen anything. But moments after the judge left, someone allegedly used a smartwatch to find the article.

Hmm, yes, seems appropriate.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I was going to ask how many the Guzmán trial went through, but I can Google as well as anyone and NBC says:

The aurora shooting had a pool of about 9000 people. Largest in history I think

I recently took a cle about differences In generations when picking jury pools, and the guy hosting just straight up acknowledged that anyone with a smart phone is going to google everyone Involved and younger people in general are going to independently research everything on the internet. The idea of an independent unbiased jury is (and has been) a lie

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Depends but even little courthouses usually subpoena 150-200, get like 100-150 to show up, and 14 get seated. Half don’t ever get put into the box for voir dire.

Bigger courts usually call a massive panel and put them in various courtrooms over the course of the week. Basically every courthouse in America is different.

/\ This is good for a statistical overview /\

The process goes something like this:

I need 12 jurors.
- The Court sends out Jury Duty notices to 100 people.
- 60 of them get called into the Courtroom for Voir Dire; the "Jury Panel." The other 40 go home then and there.
- The Jurors on the panel are numbered 1-60, and sit in order.
- We get about 20 "free strikes" between the parties, that will almost all get used.
- A jury panel usually has 1-5 weirdos or assholes or people who have had an experience too similar to the case to be un-biased, so those get chopped as well.

So, from the 60, the parties and the judge chop the 1-5 for cause, and then each side chops the 10 they don't want from numbers 1-30.

so your panel will have six rows of ten seats may look something like this after all the strikes:

x x x 4 x 6 x x x 10
11 x 13 x x 16 x 18 x x
21 22 x 24 x x 27 x 29 30
x x x 33 34 35 x 37 38 x 40

So, Jurors 4, 6, 10, 11, 23, 16, 18, 21, 22, 14, 27, and 29 are your jury for the case. Everyone after that is dismissed, and case goes forward.

In terms of probability that you sit on a jury, and make it past the jury panel, the higher your number, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's open enrollment time and the pre-paid legal debate time.

FWIW, I've run the numbers and came up with the below:

For our company the cost is ~$7 a pay period which comes out to $200/year, and I think I've gotten more out than I put in, but am willing to hear y'alls opinions.

I retained an attorney for 2 different events in the past year:
An attorney for my house purchase closing and document review.
A demand letter sent regarding an estate issue, was resolved after the demand letter.
This year I've got to create/update a will/setup a trust for said assets, and will probably be getting married, maybe buying a new house and selling my current one.

At the moment it seems like i'm coming out ahead.
Would I have been able to get the majority of these services for under $200 in billable hours/single jobs all together?

Perhaps keeping pre-paid legal for years on end isn't the best idea, but for the years with expected legal outlays, it seems to make sense.

edit: our covered services are

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 6, 2019