Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

"We're not even getting a chance to defend ourselves!" I yelled from the seat of government 100 times a day for the past month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

pthighs posted:

The existence of photos/video/audio always makes it worse. It's why Hill and Nixon had to resign, and why Ray Rice never played another down in the NFL even though he was a good player and the league is full of domestic abusers. The difference between Trump getting removed and not getting removed may well be whether any audio or video of him doing the deed becomes public. It's just the way it works.

If you are going to do something bad, don't let anyone take pictures or video.

This effect is quickly evaporating though. I'd be surprised if anyone is swayed anymore given the prevalence of deep fakes nowadays (and thats only going to get worse).

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

DandyLion posted:

This effect is quickly evaporating though. I'd be surprised if anyone is swayed anymore given the prevalence of deep fakes nowadays (and thats only going to get worse).

Has there been a single instance of a prominent deep fake being part of a national controversy? That's all still some future speculation.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Has there been a single instance of a prominent deep fake being part of a national controversy? That's all still some future speculation.

Bet your bottom dollar if there is ever video/photo evidence of Trump committing CRIMES, you'll be so sick of hearing of 'Deepfakes' your head will spin.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Flip Yr Wig posted:

They aren't good enough yet to not call out. They might get there, but there's nothing that doesn't look at least a wee bit off.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I don't think there has been yet, but that's probably because it's yet to be revealed that Manchin is actually Kevin McCarthy with a real bad deep fake job over his face. It explains everything.

But to be real, it doesn't really matter if there's a deep fake or not. People already willfully and gleefully ignore history, science, and abject reality for all kinds of reasons, so it probably won't be as big a blow to the credibility of media as it rightfully should be.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

But the potential of it is sure to sway the extremely tech-literate voting populace!

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1190000627277082625
This is generous as a "big case" but Corsi loses in a laugher.

eta: "the Court need not accept factual inferences that are unsupported by the facts alleged in the complaint, nor is the court required to accept the plaintiff's legal conclusions"

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 31, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

But the potential of it is sure to sway the extremely tech-literate voting populace!

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1190000627277082625
This is generous as a "big case" but Corsi loses in a laugher.

lmao I am shocked to see that Larry Klayman lost a case but at least he will definitely be appealing

e: jesus he couldn't even get service done right he is so incredibly bad at this

his process server went to the U.S. Office of the Special Counsel instead of the Special Counsel's Office where Mueller worked

and even that fuckup only happened > 90 days after the complaint was filed, when his time for service had already expired. he did not request an extension

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 31, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Manchin definitely isn't the kind of Democrat West Virginians want. Bernie Sanders won every single county in the state by double digits

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

eke out posted:

morrison tried to do the "well *i* don't see anything wrong here" but the substance of his testimony appears to have just confirmed everything we already know

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1189991268472041473
"in my heart and soul I don't believe trump did anything wrong. the facts, however, say otherwise."

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Sir Lemming posted:

"We're not even getting a chance to defend ourselves!" I yelled from the seat of government 100 times a day for the past month

What I find sort of interesting is the communication around impeachment up until now is about creating a narrative that people are willing to get behind with complete disregard for plausibility. Instead the narrative only has to get emotional people to propagate the message to others and let familiarity stand in the place of truth, i.e. familiarity bias.

Anyone have any book recommendations on how propaganda has evolved over time? It seems like there is a new evolution of propaganda but maybe I am just not well read in the subject.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's Halloween. Want to hear something that will chill your bones?

Ex-presidential candidate and Colorado Senate hopeful John Hickenlooper took his mother to see Deep Throat.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Ague Proof posted:

It's Halloween. Want to hear something that will chill your bones?

Ex-presidential candidate and Colorado Senate hopeful John Hickenlooper took his mother to see Deep Throat.

You see, this is who I would like us to be focusing on instead of Manchin.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1190003243709030400

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Manchin definitely isn't the kind of Democrat West Virginians want. Bernie Sanders won every single county in the state by double digits

Sanders is so popular in WV because he pays attention to the state and offers solutions to problems they have. The mainstream party hasn't done that since Clinton and he basically abandoned the state immediately for his third way poo poo.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

There is definitely room in West Virginia for an economic populists message to succeed, while also acknowledging that there are certain cultural elements (religion, guns) that are very important to the state.

Unfortunately Anti immigration and racism is also really ingrained and does need to be dealt with.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Sanders is so popular in WV because he pays attention to the state and offers solutions to problems they have. The mainstream party hasn't done that since Clinton and he basically abandoned the state immediately for his third way poo poo.

this take is just empirically wrong.

bernie won a late, open primary where edging on half of his voters were republicans voting for "gently caress hillary." it has little to no value in telling us who would succeed in WV except "not Hillary Clinton"

exit polls prove this

quote:

In fact, 39 percent of Sanders voters said they would vote for Trump over Sanders in the fall. For Clinton, nine percent of her voters say they plan to come out for Trump in the general election.

by contrast, richard ojeda could not even win his district

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 31, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

bernie won a late, open primary where edging on half of his voters were republicans voting for "gently caress hillary." it has little to no no value in telling us who would succeed in WV except "not Hillary Clinton"

exit polls prove this

There are folks in the primary thread saying they believe Sanders will win WV in the general :lol:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

I honestly don't think that means what you think it means.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I loving hate Manchinchat

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Edit: I'm tired

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

West Virginia wants someone to promise coal is awesome, not solutions to the problem that coal is dead.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

eke out posted:

bernie won a late, open primary where edging on half of his voters were republicans voting for "gently caress hillary." it has little to no value in telling us who would succeed in WV except "not Hillary Clinton"

exit polls prove this

this

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/realdanlyons/status/1189686922039439366?s=20

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Bernie won a primary that didnt matter, while Manchin won a statewide general election. How can you possibly say that Bernie represents the state more than Manchin?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Seph posted:

Bernie won a Democrat-only primary that didnt matter, while Manchin won a statewide general election. How can you possibly say that Bernie represents the state more than Manchin?

*puts on his Bernie Bro hat*

Sounds to me like West Virginia is failing Bernie.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Seph posted:

Bernie won a primary that didnt matter, while Manchin won a statewide general election. How can you possibly say that Bernie represents the state more than Manchin?

Silent (Leftist) Majority.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

This should really be illegal. Unfortunately we live in hellworld

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1190007365489299457

this is loving egregious and clearly this 70 year old George W Bush judge is just hoping some ruling from the DC Circuit moots this whole case before he has to do anything about it

we should all hope so too

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
That's because the idea already exists, it's called "do some actual maintenance on the grid you own, you loving shitheels."

This attempt by the right to insist "California blackouts are because LIBERALS!!!!!!!!!" is getting really loving tiresore.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
If Manchin was up for reelection in 2020 you'd probably see more overt MAGA stuff. No matter what it is, he's hedging. He doesn't need to make a move until (if) some Republicans move

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

haveblue posted:

Read the whole article- he's not leaving the post until well after all of this is said and done.

It’s literally the first sentence of the story when you click it.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

That's because the idea already exists, it's called "do some actual maintenance on the grid you own, you loving shitheels."

This attempt by the right to insist "California blackouts are because LIBERALS!!!!!!!!!" is getting really loving tiresore.

I don't think that's what hes saying, just more mocking SV tech dudes generally, which I'm all for

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ManBoyChef posted:

This should really be illegal. Unfortunately we live in hellworld

Yeah, laws are the thing that stops him

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1189624030376185859

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

eke out posted:

To be fair to Ojeda he did get 44% of the vote in a +20% R district during a midterm election with Trump coming up to actively campaign against him.

Edit: I think my main frustration with my argument every time it comes up is that everyone acknowledges that local Democrats need to run a different message from the larger party to win in these deep red states, but poo poo on the only state party that's running a different message that consistently wins.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 31, 2019

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

oxsnard posted:

I don't think that's what hes saying, just more mocking SV tech dudes generally, which I'm all for
Probably should have actually clicked through to his profile before assuming he was a right-wing idiot :doh:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope you guys don't like Nintendo cause I just found out something about their newest game

Luigi's Manchin

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 31, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Probably should have actually clicked through to his profile before assuming he was a right-wing idiot :doh:

This isn't a bad bet tbh, you just happened to roll snake eyes here. SV techbros are too big brained to focus on "boring" problems like infrastructure or anything that doesn't require a Rube Goldberg machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Tibalt posted:

To be fair to Ojeda he did get 44% of the vote in a +20% R district during a midterm election with Trump coming up to actively campaign against him.

Edit: I think my main frustration with my argument every time it comes up is that everyone acknowledges that local Democrats need to run a different message from the larger party to win in these deep red states, but poo poo on the only state party that's running a different message that consistently wins.

It is intensely frustrating. People would be more willing to forgive the Manchins of the world if they weren't already seen as in the way of an already distant hope. The larger problem is that the senate is intolerable as an office; the way it exists will impede progress, as it historically has done, forever. Our system is in crisis, and so everyone is angry about whatever point is currently pinching them -- for a lot of people it's Manchin "betraying" the leftist ideals because they have already written off every single republican.

What we need is for people to start calling for the abolition of the senate as it currently exists, because it's a structural problem, not a matter of staffing that's really in the way. I mean, barring the abolition of republicans, I guess... but given our population distribution, the senate will always be a problem until it has some other kind of functionality.