Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I really like this/these ideas and I think it would go well with a system I suggested a long time ago where your country has a certain number of people that want to be colonists every month; there would be factors that affect this number such as if your stability is low and/or intolerance is high, more people want to leave for a new opportunity on another continent. There would be no "colonist" agent with this system; if you set up one single colony all of your colonists would go to this one colony and it would grow faster while if you decide to try to "landgrab" the coast of Brazil, you would have several small, slow growing colonies that all of your willing colonists would distribute between. You would of course have something you could do to prioritize one if you want, and could set policies or spend money to encourage more colonists to go. It would be way better than the current system that grows at the same rate no matter how many colonies you establish.

I think EU4 works really well as a boardgame-style game rather than a simulation and would prefer it kept that way honestly, I am not a fan of ideas like "oh if your stability is low you should get more colonists". The question to me is how to fit a more accurate/involved representation into that boardgamey structure. A trade-off between focusing on a smaller area being faster and easier than trying a landgrab is a lot more straightforward, but I'm not really sure it's necessarily accurate. Maybe some sort of "colonial capacity" based on your home economy and fleet size that permits wider development or makes it less prohibitive would make more sense to me (though in essence it would be replicating the effect of having more colonists).

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Having two levels of province "control", one being presence and the other sovereign, would do a lot to make the colonization of North America more sensible - and importantly, give players of American states a chance to bounce back from the apocalypse. Not sure what the best way to show this would be - perhaps the political map mode would only show sovereign-level provinces, while the colonial map mode would show both? In any case, it'd basically allow European states to paint most of the Americas their color - and fight over that territory - without the actual native states in that territory having to stop existing first.

Which thinking about it, would also work in other parts of the world? Like, trading posts evolving into puppeting local rulers into taking direct control seems like it could be covered pretty well by the same system? With the initial step of letting foreigners set up trading posts being a boon to local rulers, something even the player might accept despite the risk of these foreigners getting ideas later on and now having a foothold in your territory.

Hell, CK2 already has provincial presence of foreign powers, with baronies often held by foreign powers thanks to succession laws. As well as merchant republic trade posts. So it's not an altogether foreign concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

To a degree, playing as native peoples in Europa Universalis is like playing as a goomba in Mario. The systems were all designed with Europe in mind, and it'd take some really major changes to make them work reasonably for the natives, maybe remaking everything from the ground up. It's uncomfortable to think about, but that's the fact of the matter. It's just like how Shadow of Mordor is made under the pretense that nothing good's going to happen to the Orcs.

Although with everything I've heard about Shadow of Mordor, it'd probably be more fun if you were an orc playing the political game for the betterment of orc-kind rather than just as a prelude for eliminating them all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, but, they made them playable, might as well make then fun and different, even if its in a DLC

Besides, like many people said, the colonization system sucks, its boring and uninteresting.

These a good gameplay reasons to revamp the whole thing, but maybe is just too late for that

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Magissima posted:

Agreed, EU5 should have pops

:hai:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Playing Maya, Inca, or Aztec and kicking the European's rear end is one of the more satisfying things you can do, regardless of how badly it's modeled.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

YF-23 posted:

• The ability to create some sort of "outpost" in a (native-held) province that would over time give you the ability to actually take over the province, rather than just sending a colonist to paint the map your colour. These outposts could give their owners trade income and act as a pre-requisite for doing war and diplomacy with natives.
  • Some kind of modelling for provincial infrastructure for land travel. From the presence of rideable animals like horses to the quality of roads. It should be a pain to expand over these long distances over land otherwise.
So, Pride of Nations then.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

wukkar posted:

So, Pride of Nations then.

Great game, can't wait for quantum computers becoming a thing so that I can run it.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

Eimi posted:

Playing Maya, Inca, or Aztec and kicking the European's rear end is one of the more satisfying things you can do, regardless of how badly it's modeled.

:whatup:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Transoxania is doing very well for itself!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck3-dev-diary-1-dynasties-houses.1270519/

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Sun God cheevo run is still the most fun i've had playing singleplayer eu4

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

420 Gank Mid posted:

Sun God cheevo run is still the most fun i've had playing singleplayer eu4

It's up there for me as well. I've tried Sunset Invasion a few times over the course of various patches. Most recently I did really well except Great Britain has too many goddamn boats to break through.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it normal to not play paradox games at all for long stretches and then come back and not care at all about achievements or world conquests or one culture no loans all mercenaries ryukyuan Russia Byzantium UK or whatever dumbshit gimmick the people with 5 million hours are doing? (And hope the new game doesn’t cater to that play style at all?)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm sure this is pretty early in the development cycle, but I'm glad to see stuff like this, indicating they're doing some basic rethinking of what a house or dynasty means. And implementing cadet branches!

There's also some of the requisite silly stuff about dynasties earning Renown and buying Splendor and unlocking magic dynasty traits. This kind of thing doesn't add much to the game for me, but if some people need that more structured playstyle for their incest murder simulator, I'm not too bothered. I do hope they're going to take a look at other basics of the game mechanics that ultimately made most non-European characters pretty weird to play in CK2.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This all sounds really cool. :thumbsup:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it normal to not play paradox games at all for long stretches and then come back and not care at all about achievements or world conquests or one culture no loans all mercenaries ryukyuan Russia Byzantium UK or whatever dumbshit gimmick the people with 5 million hours are doing? (And hope the new game doesn’t cater to that play style at all?)

no you're a very special boy or girl or person

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Senior Dog posted:

no you're a very special boy or girl or person

Ty ty

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This kind of thing doesn't add much to the game for me, but if some people need that more structured playstyle for their incest murder simulator, I'm not too bothered.
It can make you more successful at murder and incest. What's not to like?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

It can make you more successful at murder and incest. What's not to like?

I was fine with when the dev diary said "basically this is the stuff your dynasty is known for" and then it said "so you can make it so that genetic traits are more likely to pass on to children" like you're doing some loving medieval genetic engineering poo poo. :wtc:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Eh just interpret it as your Dynasty has developed powerful knowledge like... taking regular walks and having a varied diet helps you live longer. Or something.

Realtalk tho, I hope that they have the options like CK2 added a few years back, so people can turn those off if they prefer. I'm fine with that kind of stuff myself but the more flexibility for everyone to play as they enjoy, the better!

Also hoping that the paths can be tied to culture or race or what have you, to allow for modding prospects with the fantasy mods.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm sure this is pretty early in the development cycle, but I'm glad to see stuff like this, indicating they're doing some basic rethinking of what a house or dynasty means. And implementing cadet branches!

There's also some of the requisite silly stuff about dynasties earning Renown and buying Splendor and unlocking magic dynasty traits. This kind of thing doesn't add much to the game for me, but if some people need that more structured playstyle for their incest murder simulator, I'm not too bothered. I do hope they're going to take a look at other basics of the game mechanics that ultimately made most non-European characters pretty weird to play in CK2.

The thing I like the most about it is it gives characters some... character. In CK2 all those snowflakes become indistinguishable for me unless I make an effort of remembering them. Even something like Total War Three Kingdoms works better for me: you have fewer characters and each one gets some of those titles that probably sound better in Mandarin. Or in Imperator: Rome a character has just a few stats but then it's easier to percieve my Brilliant Greedy Mil 12 character than CK2 character with decent stats that affect nothing who is greedy lustful gregarious pagantolerating one-legged fat coward. Having better portraits, descriptions and house mottos would mean some very important crutches that will help form a story in my head.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Ms Adequate posted:

Eh just interpret it as your Dynasty has developed powerful knowledge like... taking regular walks and having a varied diet helps you live longer. Or something.

You're actually just building up enough prestige that nobody dares say that the latest inbred scion of House Whatever isn't an Attractive Strong Genius!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I was fine with when the dev diary said "basically this is the stuff your dynasty is known for" and then it said "so you can make it so that genetic traits are more likely to pass on to children" like you're doing some loving medieval genetic engineering poo poo. :wtc:

lmao this guy doesn't do medieval genetic engineering in CK2
And yeah the line between "this is a real trait your person has" and "this trait represents people's opinion of what your guy can do" was always really thin

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, it's just like bloodlines. It's all about your fame and people expectation and placebo effects. A descendant of Ragnar Lodbrock will certainly spend a little more time in a camp training to not shame his bloodline, people will trusts Lannisters with their money, people will see bastards of William the Conqueror dynasty differently, Rurikovich name will always have a special weight in Rus. But the bonus will never be that big to define the character.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of bloodlines for the same reason. In terms of gameplay it's fun to work with and try to collect as many bonii as you can but it's the sort of thing I'd rather have soft effects only, like opinion modifiers or prestige, rather than actually make the character in question better at fighting or at handling money or whatever.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

YF-23 posted:

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of bloodlines for the same reason. In terms of gameplay it's fun to work with and try to collect as many bonii as you can but it's the sort of thing I'd rather have soft effects only, like opinion modifiers or prestige, rather than actually make the character in question better at fighting or at handling money or whatever.

Yeah, :same:

GrossMurpel posted:

And yeah the line between "this is a real trait your person has" and "this trait represents people's opinion of what your guy can do" was always really thin

This was something I always hoped a CK3 would do better; draw a sharper distinction between those things. Have an actual system of reputations distinct from traits.

But gently caress me I guess, now we have this dumb poo poo.

Oh, and it’s yet another bucket-filling exercise. Delightful.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

My Paradox map games have broken. Couple weeks ago before the new launcher I could play them all: CK2, EU4 and Stellaris and also Imperator with the new launcher!

Now they all crash at start (either with a blackscreen or by just stopping to respond before even getting to output video), even if I bypass the launcher and start from the game's .exe directly :confused: nothing changed on my PC besides updating video drivers, so I'm really really confused. Already posted on Paradox's tech support forum but has anyone here had similar issues and/or any kind of idea how to resolve them? I need my EU4 fix.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TorakFade posted:

My Paradox map games have broken. Couple weeks ago before the new launcher I could play them all: CK2, EU4 and Stellaris and also Imperator with the new launcher!

Now they all crash at start (either with a blackscreen or by just stopping to respond before even getting to output video), even if I bypass the launcher and start from the game's .exe directly :confused: nothing changed on my PC besides updating video drivers, so I'm really really confused. Already posted on Paradox's tech support forum but has anyone here had similar issues and/or any kind of idea how to resolve them? I need my EU4 fix.

Are you on Windows?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gort posted:

Are you on Windows?

Yes, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

e: already tried to uninstall the games, deleting the game folders from my documents, doing a clean reinstall of everything (actually, two times: I tried to install on both c: and d: drive, thinking it could be a hard disk problem but nothing - same issue)

VVV tried that too, no dice :( it's just weird that only Paradox map games stopped working, Cities Skylines and every other game I have still work flawlessly. It also happened right after the new launcher so I'm inclined to blame Paradox and not my PC, but who knows/cares... I just want to fix it and play EU4 :(

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 1, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TorakFade posted:

Yes, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

e: already tried to uninstall the games, deleting the game folders from my documents, doing a clean reinstall of everything (actually, two times: I tried to install on both c: and d: drive, thinking it could be a hard disk problem but nothing - same issue)

Try going onto the paradox site, logging out, logging in and then launching. Pretty sure I had a similar bug a little while ago and that fixed it inexplicably.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 1, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

There was a big recent NVidia drivers update. They've changed a lot, added some new gpu scaling things. I notice some problems when changing screen resolution now, other people have bigger problems. It might not work well with Paradox games, especially if you're not playing on a native resolution.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TorakFade posted:

nothing changed on my PC besides updating video drivers

:thunk:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It sounds interesting to me although I'm definitely more excited for the map being in it next diary.

I like the idea of cadet branches but as others have said I don't tend to do the genetic engineering side so making it more explicit is just sort of an "Oh, okay" for me.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ilitarist posted:

There was a big recent NVidia drivers update. They've changed a lot, added some new gpu scaling things. I notice some problems when changing screen resolution now, other people have bigger problems. It might not work well with Paradox games, especially if you're not playing on a native resolution.

one of Paradox's own troubleshooting steps (and one of the most heard troubleshooting tips) is "update your drivers" so I thought that having them updated would be a good thing, not something that kills a bunch of their own games... :confused:

Anyway I tried rolling back to a previous driver (released 16/10 apparently), but situation is still the same and it won't let me roll back any further, I can only choose that or the current (released 29/10) driver. I do remember that I got like 2-3 driver updates in a short time during October... so maybe I can't roll back so far that the issue was not present. I guess unless Paradox support can help me out, I will have to wait for Nvidia to fix their poo poo? Oh Lord, I'm screwed :v:

Edit: I do have a laptop with nvidia graphics. Updated to the latest driver, just like my main PC. And EU4 works there, so I guess that's not it... unless the new driver specifically craps itself only on 1440p (laptop is 1080p)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 1, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Drivers are software same as everything else, and can have bad patches same as everything else. It doesn’t happen very often but it does happen.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Drivers are software same as everything else, and can have bad patches same as everything else. It doesn’t happen very often but it does happen.

Sure, but the same driver on my laptop does not give this problem as I just discovered (edited post above yours), so I guess that's not the issue :(

Edit: finally found it out. Fullscreen mode was the problem, in borderless window (or borderless fullscreen, whatever) mode it works just fine. Hrmmm on my laptop it works regularly in fullscreen mode, but let's not dwell on that, I can play now :D thanks everyone for putting up with my stupidity 'til now.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 1, 2019

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

GrossMurpel posted:

Maybe if they make it a double edged sword, so you get bonuses if you are following the family legacy, and in turn your abilities get more renowned. So if you are a good warrior from a family with martial traditions, related bonuses from those stats get increases, but if you machiavellian genius, martial bonuses suffer because you are shaming your family.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 1, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TorakFade posted:

Sure, but the same driver on my laptop does not give this problem as I just discovered (edited post above yours), so I guess that's not the issue :(

Uninstall the paradox launcher and try again. Every issue I've seen recently with mapgames have been the new launcher loving up an update, usually related to not hooking into steam correctly. Make sure there's a steamapi64.dll file in

C:\Users\"Yeruser"\AppData\Local\Programs\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2.2019.10.4\resources\app.asar.unpacked\dist\main

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

Uninstall the paradox launcher and try again. Every issue I've seen recently with mapgames have been the new launcher loving up an update, usually related to not hooking into steam correctly. Make sure there's a steamapi64.dll file in

C:\Users\"Yeruser"\AppData\Local\Programs\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2.2019.10.4\resources\app.asar.unpacked\dist\main
Um... On my computer that goes:

C:\Users\"Yeruser"\AppData\Local\Programs\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2

and it only contains three .log files. Is it different on win7 64-bit? The launcher does seem to work, apart from that it doesn't actually launch EU4 so I have to run the .exe in the steam subfolder. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

YF-23 posted:

yeah the argument that it's some kind of perceived power falls apart to me when all the crazy poo poo provides real tangible benefits.

unless you want to argue that all of the game is your ruler's dying medieval drug and booze fuelled haze as life flashes before their eyes.

e: honestly I care very little about player agency in paradox games. I don't play them super often like some folks do and despite liking competitive gaming in strategy games in general I don't care at all in paradox about how to play properly or get any enjoyment out of watching streamers or anything. I've tried watching EU streamers like ddrjake and florryworry recently and they approach the whole thing so differently to me it is practically a different game.

I just want to pick a time and place and deal with the poo poo that happens to me and I hope balance going forward isn't focused on medieval genetic engineering to best give your enemies cancer while being an unkillable dueling juggernaut or how to most quickly convert cairo to norse pagan for your one culture one religion VH WC. i'm perfectly capable of dunking on ais and competing with players but these games already suck for both of those and i feel like going deeper into that side is going to make paradox games even jankier.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 1, 2019