Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

how many times are the chargers going to fire that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FizFashizzle posted:

how many times are the chargers going to fire that guy

Just one.

He left the last time to go coach Mariota

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Teams don't normally wait until 10 p.m. ET to announce firing news, which tells me that the Monday meetings must have really gone sour.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Mike vrabel is not on the hot seat but he makes some really dumb ingame decisions and it makes me mad!!!

Vrabel is like if you hosed with an opponent AI to always go aggressive on fourth downs and two point attempts, even when it's incredibly stupid to do so.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Do teams that fire their head coach mid season end up with better hires than those that wait until Black Monday?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Do teams that fire their head coach mid season end up with better hires than those that wait until Black Monday?

I think the answer is generally no but that's my gut feeling and I have nothing to back it up with.

I'd guess the idea is you can try and recruit a coach earlier even though you're not supposed to because of tampering rules if they're in the NFL. If they're on a decent team you can't actually hire them until they're out of the playoffs. If you have an eye on a college coach (or CFL I guess) they're probably good enough to sit around and see if a better job opens up because poo poo is bad if you're firing a coach mid-season.

Having said that I don't think it's worthwhile to keep a dead man walking around because the players just lose all faith in what's going on and may never trust the organization again.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teams that fired coach midseason, since 2000 with (their replacements in parentheses). I THINK I got them all, not sure.

quote:

00 Bengals: Bruce Coslet (Dick LeBeau)
00 Cardinals: Vince Tobin (Dave McGinnis)
00 Lions: Bobby Ross (Marty Mornhinweg)
00 Skins: Norv Turner (Marty Schottenheimer)
01 Vikings: Dennis Green (Mike Tice)
03 Falcons: Dan Reeves (Jim Mora Jr)
04 Browns: Butch Davis (Romeo Crennel)
05 Rams: Mike Martz (Scott Linehan)
05 Lions: Steve Maruicci (Rod Marinelli)
07 Falcons: Bobby Petrino (Mike Smith)

08 Rams: Scott Linehan (Steve Spagnuolo)
08 Raiders: Lane Kiffin (Tom Cable)
08 Niners: Mike Nolan (Mike Singletary)
09 Bills: Dick Jauron (Chan Gailey)
10 Cowboys: Wade Phillips (Jason Garrett)
10 Vikings: Brad Childress (Leslie Frazier)
11 Jaguars: Jack Del Rio (Mike Mularkey)
11 Dolphins: Tony Sparano (Joe Philbin)
11 Chiefs: Todd Haley (Romeo Crennel)
14 Raiders: Dennis Allen (Jack Del Rio)
15 Dolphins: Joe Philbin (Adam Gase)
15 Titans: Ken Whisenhunt (Mike Mularkey)
15 Eagles: Chip Kelly (Doug Pederson)
16 Bills: Rex Ryan (Sean McDermott)
16 Jaguars: Gus Bradley (Doug Marrone)
16 Rams: Jeff Fisher (Sean McVay)
17 Giants: Ben McAdoo (Pat Shurmur)
18 Packers: Mike McCarthy (Matt LaFleur)* pending
18 Browns: Hue Jackson (Freddie Kitchens)

This is... pretty bad!

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah, but we need ones who waited until Black Monday to contrast and compare.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah, but we need ones who waited until Black Monday to contrast and compare.

That's way too much data to sift through :colbert:

I already spent like 15 minutes on this, though I did it byhand. If someone else can pull up a spreadsheet or something with all NFL coaching changes since '00 that'd make it a lot easier.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean a big part of the problem here is that if you're bad enough to even be thinking you should fire your coach mid-season you're probably in a very bad place as a franchise.

e: I also might have bolded Doug Marrone, although that's not because of anything he's done but who he replaced.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 30, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man I know why it worked out in that whole situation, but it's very funny that one of the biggest successes was replacing Wade Philips with Jason Garrett

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grittybeard posted:

e: I also might have bolded Doug Marrone, although that's not because of anything he's done but who he replaced.

Marrone and McDermott were the two I was really on the fence about. Both of them turned around their teams and got them to the playoffs really quickly ... but then followed up with disappointing seasons. :iiam:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's way too much data to sift through :colbert:

I already spent like 15 minutes on this, though I did it byhand. If someone else can pull up a spreadsheet or something with all NFL coaching changes since '00 that'd make it a lot easier.

I appreciated your effort, SKULL.GIF

Also, I don't think I even need to see the other data. That is clearly a horrible collection of ill-fated coaches

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I think the biggest issue with firing a guy midseason gives the interim guy a shot to turn it around and those guys who end up getting the job are usually bad.

Nov 6, 2002

Also Jack Del Rio wasn't terrible in Oakland.

wandler20 posted:

I think the biggest issue with firing a guy midseason gives the interim guy a shot to turn it around and those guys who end up getting the job are usually bad.

Yeah what does that list look like if you get rid of the dumb teams who hired the interim coach?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

wandler20 posted:

Gregggg is the only interim I can think of being good after a firing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grittybeard posted:

I mean a big part of the problem here is that if you're bad enough to even be thinking you should fire your coach mid-season you're probably in a very bad place as a franchise.

What jumps out to me is how many teams are on there multiple times.

Lions, Vikings, Falcons, Browns, Rams (3 times!), Bills, Raiders, Dolphins, Jaguars

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SKULL.GIF posted:

What jumps out to me is how many teams are on there multiple times.

Lions, Vikings, Falcons, Browns, Rams (3 times!), Bills, Raiders, Dolphins, Jaguars

:thunk:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Technically the Rams only have 2, Mike Martz took a leave of absence in the middle of a season for a heart condition and then was fired a day after their final game that John Shaw refused to let Martz come back and coach.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Minor correction, the Lions didn't fire Bobby Ross. He threw up his hands, said gently caress this poo poo and quit. Which is far more embarrassing (for the team).

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Teams that fired coach midseason, since 2000 with (their replacements in parentheses). I THINK I got them all, not sure.

This is... pretty bad!

Mike Mularkey was better than Whisenhunt, at the very least. He wasn't good, but he wasn't Whisenhunt bad and got the team to the playoffs once.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Q_res posted:

Minor correction, the Lions didn't fire Bobby Ross. He threw up his hands, said gently caress this poo poo and quit. Which is far more embarrassing (for the team).

Also, didn't Petrino quit? I thought Blank was very upset about him leaving.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ol' Bobby P left a note taped to his office door and peaced out.

Wouldn't even face his players, they wanted to loving kill him.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I feel like in the end karma caught up with him.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
My favorite mid season firing was Scott Linehan being replaced by Jim Haslett. Haslett then won back to back games and people were talking about how he might have rehabed his career and was a dark horse candidate to keep the job after the season.

Then he lost 10 straight games to close out the season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Mike Zimmer can't even give a coherent take on Petrino after a decade because he hates him so much.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Grittybeard posted:

Mike Zimmer can't even give a coherent take on Petrino after a decade because he hates him so much.

“He’s a gutless bastard. Quote that.

I don’t give a s—,” Zimmer said Wednesday, according to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

When Zimmer was told that responsible news organization may not be able to use “bastard,” Zimmer responded:

“How about this, gutless motherfucker. You can use that.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Zim owns

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

this is fine gif

https://twitter.com/chadp71/status/1189604964953448448

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

God drat I love when coaches stop the facade and give a real answer like that.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I wish there was more unedited clips of Zim being micd up. He has the best meltdowns.

https://youtu.be/Ct7KBt5Blrs

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Judging by trends this season I wonder if anyone is going to try to shake up coaching this season and just hire a guy as head coach who is exclusively in charge of managing game situations, taking timeouts and challenging and just the overall mechanics of the team. Then just paying out the rear end for a College guy to run the offense and finding a decent DC on the other side as playcallers.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DariusLikewise posted:

Judging by trends this season I wonder if anyone is going to try to shake up coaching this season and just hire a guy as head coach who is exclusively in charge of managing game situations, taking timeouts and challenging and just the overall mechanics of the team. Then just paying out the rear end for a College guy to run the offense and finding a decent DC on the other side as playcallers.

This is basically how the Cowboys operate now, except Jason Garrett is bad at the role you described instead of good.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

More teams should back off to that situation. Kliff and Lafleur are doing well though so teams will continue chasing the next Mcvay.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DariusLikewise posted:

isn't this how the Ravens do it

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

OxySnake posted:

I wish there was more unedited clips of Zim being micd up. He has the best meltdowns.

https://youtu.be/Ct7KBt5Blrs

...and then his eyeball popped out of his skull.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

sean10mm posted:

This is basically how the Cowboys operate now, except Jason Garrett is bad at the role you described instead of good.

Yeah, same sort of thing, but with someone who is better at clapping

indigi posted:

isn't this how the Ravens do it

I think that's what I'm trying to get at, how in tune is Harbaugh with analytics and odds in terms of when to kick the FG, go for it on 4th down, call timeouts, etc? I really want to see a team that just has a head coach that manages the game and is responsible for discipline and team structure outside of games and all the schemes/plays go through the coordinators only.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Barry Switzer did that, except it was essentially the players coaching the team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GD_American posted:

Barry Switzer did that, except it was essentially the players coaching the team.

I feel slightly bad for Switzer because he was a legitimately innovative offensive mind in like, the 60s and 70s. But that's around the 4th thing anyone will ever remember him for and the first three are really embarrassing.

On the other hand gently caress the Sooners so I can't feel too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Barry Switzer's NFL career was so weird. Even with his decorated college resume, nobody took him seriously and the players/fans/media always resented him for being Not Jimmy Johnson, yet the Cowboys were so talented they still won a Super Bowl while basically coaching themselves, and when they stopped winning they couldn't kick him to the curb fast enough.

Even Dennis Erickson and Chip Kelly got a second chance in college after they flamed out in the pros. Switzer hasn't coached anywhere since 1997.

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 2, 2019