Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I got the forest green leather case to go with my midnight green pro. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

this probably has been asked no less than 100 times in this thread but didn't see it in the last few pages.

cracked my phone's back and i'd like to replace it. is this something i can do with relative ease, or best to take it somewhere? i'm in nyc so there are plenty of spots.

It's not really easy at all, but it may just be purely cosmetic. If you had broken the screen, you'd be good to just get ti replaced, but changing the back is essentially taking every part of the phone out of the old one and then putting it back into another phone. If the crack didn't damage anything, I'd just rock a case and pretend there's nothing there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

this probably has been asked no less than 100 times in this thread but didn't see it in the last few pages.

cracked my phone's back and i'd like to replace it. is this something i can do with relative ease, or best to take it somewhere? i'm in nyc so there are plenty of spots.

e: i'm also curious now if having a third party replace the back would disrupt my trade-in program membership. seems like it could?

Is it an iPhone 8 or later? Has to be because the last glass back before that was an iPhone 4s. The SE had some glass on the back and that's replaceable.

I don't think you can fix that yourself. Because of the charging coils it's all glued in there with the motherboard. That's what the repair guy told me the last time I had to get a screen replaced.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

abelwingnut posted:

e: i'm also curious now if having a third party replace the back would disrupt my trade-in program membership. seems like it could?

Hope you have Apple Care or your provider's warranty program if you care about trade-in. Third party replacements will void the poo poo out of that.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If it's one of the newer phones, you can finesse the whole thing and buy AppleCare+ through the app for the monthly $9.99 and then get it repaired.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, it's the 11 pro non-max. i do have applecare+ with the trade-in program. was hoping there was another way of doing this where i didn't have to pay apple $100 to replace the whole thing, but that seems to be where i'm at. oh well.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

If it's one of the newer phones, you can finesse the whole thing and buy AppleCare+ through the app for the monthly $9.99 and then get it repaired.

Friends don't let friends commit insurance fraud.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
whoops, wrong forum.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

abelwingnut posted:

yea, it's the 11 pro non-max. i do have applecare+ with the trade-in program. was hoping there was another way of doing this where i didn't have to pay apple $100 to replace the whole thing, but that seems to be where i'm at. oh well.

If it's built like the X series, replacing the back by itself might be a bad idea. The camera lens housing on those was welded on with the glass sandwiched between the metal, it would have to be broken loose, then the glass removed, then just glued or something to hold it back in. And the 3rd party backs don't have Apple logos on them, which may make a difference if you have to return it, get warranty support, or trade it in later.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

Congratulate yourself on buying AppleCare and be grateful it's only $100. You dodged a bullet there.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I hope they put a plastic back on the upcoming SE 2 (in order to try to stigmatize poor people) so I can get one of those and never have to deal with these shattered backside problems

astral posted:

eh, if Apple wants $500 or whatever to fix it then they absolutely deserve it. Even if that were somehow completely at cost for parts and labor (it's not) they'd still deserve it for designing the phone that way

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's not really easy at all, but it may just be purely cosmetic. If you had broken the screen, you'd be good to just get ti replaced, but changing the back is essentially taking every part of the phone out of the old one and then putting it back into another phone. If the crack didn't damage anything, I'd just rock a case and pretend there's nothing there.

Just try not to get it wet.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well apparently I did. I have "two-factor authentication" enabled, have a trusted phone number, and also a recovery key. Should I disable the recovery key? :confused:

No need, it's just an added bonus for walking the tightrope that was Two-Step where you were always one changed phone number or forgotten key away from losing your account forever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I hope they put a plastic back on the upcoming SE 2 (in order to try to stigmatize poor people) so I can get one of those and never have to deal with these shattered backside problems

They could always go back to metal, and yell at people for holding the phone wrong.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Wasn't that the 4? By the time they went full metal the reception issues were well sorted.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

They could always go back to metal, and yell at people for holding the phone wrong.

This would prevent wireless charging, but I suppose that's a compelling upsell for more expensive phones. Google pulled that with the pixel 3a.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bring back the iPhone 5C’s design with the iPhone X’s display.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yes, there seems to be no consistency in what makes the Select/Select all options pop up vs the Cut/Copy/Paste options.

I've been experimenting, and so far it seems:

1 tap: select/all
2 tap: cut/copy/paste
hold on word/end of sentence: cut/copy/paste
hold on space not at end of sentence: select/all

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
They should go back to the IPhone 7 design for the next se. it would be so light, wireless charging be dammed.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

CoolRanch posted:

wireless charging be dammed.
:redass: Do you eat with that mouth?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CoolRanch posted:

They should go back to the IPhone 7 design for the next se. it would be so light, wireless charging be dammed.

You can buy it today, it’s called the iPhone 8.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I think that poster is implying that the iPhone 7’s aluminum back is superior to the heavier glass back of the iPhone 8, despite the otherwise nearly identical design.

JuggerNate
Jul 28, 2016
Is anyone else having problems with the optimized charging feature in iOS 13? I put my XS Max on a wireless charger at the same time every night and take it off around the same time every morning. My schedule is very consistent, even on the weekends and still nothing yet. I’ve had iOS 13 installed since it released in September.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I think that poster is implying that the iPhone 7’s aluminum back is superior to the heavier glass back of the iPhone 8, despite the otherwise nearly identical design.

Jet black was definitely one of the best looking iPhones.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Jet black was definitely one of the best looking iPhones.

For 10 seconds, until you looked at it wrong/touched it/put anything near it.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 2, 2019

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Or touched it. Touching it once made it look like it was found at an archeological dig.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

FCKGW posted:

Mahoning posted:

Yup.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
It seems too obvious of a loophole, but I do wonder, if I was to sign in my Apple ID to someone else's iPhone 11, would it give me the free year of Apple TV+ and I could just sign out and use it on my current phone?

Also, it seems like you have to opt into the free year, I wonder if it's a limited promotion thing and you should sign up as soon as possible or lose it, or if 'd be better to wait until there's more content to and start the free year later.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You have a few months to claim the free year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Joana Stern reviewed the AirPods Pro. Verdict: they will stay in if you ride mechanical bulls or break dance, but will fall out if you chew aggressively. (The actual article is paywalled and I don't have an account to actually share that part.)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/airpods-pro-review-big-improvements-at-a-pro-price-11572789602

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bought the AirPods Pro on a lark on Friday at lunch break. Active noise cancellation on the AirPods seems way more comfortable to me, coming from someone who'd previously only owned Bose ANC headphones (QC3s way back in the day, and then QC35s).

I wore them for a good couple hours straight and didn't have any headaches like I got from the Bose. It really scrambled my brain to feel the excess sound pressure from the ANC but actually hear less sound. I've recently heard there are other ANC headphone brands, like Sony, that were better in this regard than the Bose, so I felt like it was worth the gamble on the AirPods.

One problem I've had with other in-ear headphones with the rubber/silicone ear tips is that I can hear myself breathing. I don't know if it's just the way the AirPods seal in your ear, or if it's the inward-facing noise cancellation, but in this regard they just seem a lot nicer than any other headphones of this type I've had.

All things considered I really like these so far. The passthrough sound thing seemed gimmicky but it works really well. It's also so fun to switch from passthru to ANC and hear all the sound melt away.

EL BROMANCE posted:

You have a few months to claim the free year.

In particular: you have 3 months from date of initial activation, and if you bought the device before 11/1, the three months start then. So if you're a launch day iPhone 11 buyer, for instance, you've got till Jan 31 to claim the offer.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I picked up my pros on Friday and really enjoying them, coming from my near-launch day gen 1s. Finding uses for them that I didn't realize I had problems for. Having had old school Quietcomfort 2s over a decade ago, I didn't expect much ANC for the mid-range / non-constant sound. My kids were watching an irritating YouTuber and I wanted to watch something on my iPad. Before I even hit play I was surprised at how the whole sound level of everything going on in the room dropped by about 70%. It was very nice.

Strange though, I REALLY wanted them to work at my sons basketball game in a crowded elementary school gym but they generated a lot of pressure that made them unbearable to have the ANC on. Was perfectly fine in transparency mode or Off, so something in that room wigged them out.

Overall, they're a 9.8/10. I can't figure out which ear tips are for me, the smalls feel too small and the mediums feel too big, but could just be me being weird, neither are at risk of falling out or have discomfort.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JuggerNate posted:

Is anyone else having problems with the optimized charging feature in iOS 13? I put my XS Max on a wireless charger at the same time every night and take it off around the same time every morning. My schedule is very consistent, even on the weekends and still nothing yet. I’ve had iOS 13 installed since it released in September.

Stupid question but are you, well, asleep at night while it's charging?

I thought it was not doing anything at all because I didn't see anything happening. Then I woke up at 4am last week during a thunderstorm and stupidly checked my phone. There was a notification on the screen saying the optimized charging was active and it was holding back a full charge until later.

JuggerNate
Jul 28, 2016

kitten smoothie posted:

Stupid question but are you, well, asleep at night while it's charging?

I thought it was not doing anything at all because I didn't see anything happening. Then I woke up at 4am last week during a thunderstorm and stupidly checked my phone. There was a notification on the screen saying the optimized charging was active and it was holding back a full charge until later.

Yes so I haven’t looked, I’ve been checking the battery life graph in case I missed the notification. Wondering if it has something to do with being a wireless charger instead of a lightning cable.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

TraderStav posted:

Overall, they're a 9.8/10. I can't figure out which ear tips are for me, the smalls feel too small and the mediums feel too big, but could just be me being weird, neither are at risk of falling out or have discomfort.

Have you done the ear fit test in Bluetooth settings? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210633

I was kind of surprised the default medium gave me a solid fit since I've always ended up going large but so far they've been great.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Have you done the ear fit test in Bluetooth settings? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210633

I was kind of surprised the default medium gave me a solid fit since I've always ended up going large but so far they've been great.

Yes, but the small and medium give a great fit result

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there any way to get a standard text message sound/vibration for those not in my contacts versus those in? Would like a short and subtle one for those out and something more distinctive for those in. Have hundreds of contacts so individually setting them isn't feasible.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

JuggerNate posted:

Yes so I haven’t looked, I’ve been checking the battery life graph in case I missed the notification. Wondering if it has something to do with being a wireless charger instead of a lightning cable.

I have wireless charger on my nightstand. I've noticed the battery graph showing delayed charging at night.

11 pro.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

astral posted:

lmao is you feel bad for loving insurance companies. gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
A couple months ago I received an upsetting and sensitive e-mail. Ever since then, the task switcher on my iPhone 7+ shows any Gmail tab that I have open as that exact e-mail. Full-screen, unblurred, all the text right there for anyone looking.

I've tried closing all iOS tasks. I've tried rebooting the phone. I've used the Gmail app to view plenty of different e-mails since then. Any other ideas?

(Why did the task manager folks introduce blurring for the photos app to help keep recent privacy-sensitive stuff from popping up unexpectedly, but not remember to do this for any other app?)