Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lmao you get to code with runes now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
they're getting a cover story

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Stats look exactly the same as d3, so far.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

soj

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol +1 to skills is back. that's a major departure from d3

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm intrigued.

I like the art, but I also liked D3's art, it'll look great by the time it comes out.

I think restructuring the game world to be more like Adventure mode as a baseline is very smart.

"Mingleplayer" multiplayer where it isn't full blown MMO but you can encounter other people incidentally like Destiny or Dark Souls could be cool. Having 8+ people fighting bosses again is something I've missed from almost every ARPG since D2.

It looks like they're splitting the difference between D3 and D2 by giving you Skills that you can probably slot at will, but you get more robust enhancement and customization with the Talent Tree than D3's passives. We've barely seen anything about Runes but it seems like they could be taking a page from Path of Exile's support gems and giving you tools to algorithmically trigger or enhance parts of your kit.

I am heartened by the fact that they seemed to openly acknowledge that D3 was too heavy handed in proscribing Developer-Approved™ character builds.

The commitment to PvP support will surely make someone happy, probably not me.

I refuse to follow the details of this game too closely over the next few years given how radically many of D3's systems shifted and iterated in the long, long span between announce and release. I encourage everyone to read any bit of text from the dev builds as basically blank Lorem Ipsum because it will be completely different by the time they're done.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I cannot wait to DEFINE MY BUILD™ with 7% CtC Hydra.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Stats look exactly the same as d3, so far.
Going by the gear shown in the thread here, they just slammed all the offensive stats into "Attack" and the toughness stats into "Defense", which... I guess works? It's also even less exciting than D3's stats, which is a bit of an accomplishment.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
tbf everyone knows str/int/agi was pointless since those stats only dropped for their relevant classes and they all did the same thing (increase damage). Changing that to 'offense' makes sense. The build variety came from legendary effects.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bio347 posted:

Going by the gear shown in the thread here, they just slammed all the offensive stats into "Attack" and the toughness stats into "Defense", which... I guess works? It's also even less exciting than D3's stats, which is a bit of an accomplishment.

Gotta really dumb it down for anyone who would give blizzard money at this point, I guess.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Who the hell asked for Limited Potions instead of the Infinite Use Potions that D3 has?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Who the hell asked for Limited Potions instead of the Infinite Use Potions that D3 has?
D2 people, probably. I don't know who wants trading and PvP and stuff, but apparently they are an influential bloc.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bio347 posted:

D2 people, probably. I don't know who wants trading and PvP and stuff, but apparently they are an influential bloc.

It's all garbage. And, sadly, it's all stuff Rhykker asked for.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

bio347 posted:

Attack and Defense is fine - it makes for easier itemization and trading gear between classes. Str/Int/Dex existing as different stats is pointless given the direction D3 went.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah this ain't coming out any time soon

https://twitter.com/Qwik/status/1190334499814395904?s=20

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bio347 posted:

They have changed what in this picture?

Looks unchanged.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 1, 2019

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

They changed what in this picture?

Looks unchanged.
Tough to say until we get a look in that details panel and also see some high-level gear. Maybe it's mostly identical, and the pieces of gear earlier just look funny because they're low level.

TyrantWD posted:

Attack and Defense is fine - it makes for easier itemization and trading gear between classes. Str/Int/Dex existing as different stats is pointless given the direction D3 went.
Agreed, but people always talk about taking the RP out of the RPG and having your stats just be "Attack" and "Defense" is bland as gently caress.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bio347 posted:

Agreed, but people always talk about taking the RP out of the RPG and having your stats just be "Attack" and "Defense" is bland as gently caress.

Those people also always ignore that Diablo 2's stat allocations were, inevitably, "enough strength or dex to equip your gear and then all into vit", so. :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like life per hit and life per second and crit and crit damage and so on

“Attack” dear god

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I see no reason to suspect that all of your crunchy, gognardy RPG statistics aren't simply hiding in the details tab, exactly like in D3.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They aren’t on the gear !!

I love having skill trees and skill points

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I mean, stuff like itemization and character stats are probably so far from done.

That seems like a very basic gameplay demo meant to show off the engine and graphics.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Ehud posted:

I mean, stuff like itemization and character stats are probably so far from done.

That seems like a very basic gameplay demo meant to show off the engine and graphics.
Considering how much D3's systems changed even over the course of the yearlong beta, it's probably smart not to put too much stock into the details now. Listen to the underlying philosophy (which is mostly just repeating the word DARK at this point, and DARK doesn't describe a loot system).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Details just opens up and shows where all the attack comes from.

+100
+160
+50
---------
#value

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Incoherence posted:

Considering how much D3's systems changed even over the course of the yearlong beta, it's probably smart not to put too much stock into the details now. Listen to the underlying philosophy (which is mostly just repeating the word DARK at this point, and DARK doesn't describe a loot system).

They did say they are shifting to focusing on legendaries and defocusing sets . There will still be sets but not as important as d3

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We should get a D4 thread going.

I’d make it but I’m mobile all weekend.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Would be dead after today. They arnt showing anything more for a long time.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah if it weren't for the almighty backlash they had last year I doubt they would have shown anything this year. Just too much pressure not to. The game definitely looks very, very early. It looks even earlier than the Diablo 3 reveal footage did, for its era.

Diablo 3 reveal, for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q17FDfU7-ds

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Kheldarn posted:

Kind of wonder if there's still Legendary Potions and those are now Infinite

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
There are a bunch of streamers playing the floor demo on twitch right now.

A few things I've noticed:

-There seems to be a short dodge ability that is a baseline move not related to skills, I'm guessing available to every class.

-There is a public event marker that you can see on the zone map with countdown timers until the next cycle begins, like GW2 or something.

-Barb simultaneously wears 2hander and dual wields, switches fluidly between weapons depending on skill use.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 1, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All aprgs have kinda gotten into small areas to fight in. It's nice to see d4 is gonna break the mold and make huge areas to go to. I'm guessing dungeons are just the new rifts.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
This game is 3~4 years away from release. Pretty much all of the stats and item effects are placeholders. The exact same thing happened during the Wow Classic blizzcon demo and that game also had a bunch of people freaking out about the placeholder stats.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Scoss posted:

-There seems to be a short dodge ability that is a baseline move not related to skills, I'm guessing available to every class.

It only took 6 years and a sequel but PC has finally reached console parity.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Wrap it up honkongaliures, diablo is back and it fucccksss

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The dodge is in d3

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

maybe dont go in that direction then

otherwise every class wants the same items and then youve got a boring rear end game right there

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

euphronius posted:

The dodge is in d3

The dodge move was only ever implemented in the console versions

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I am so loving excited for D4 and can't wait to get off of work and see everything thats been announced.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

This is a huge loving red flag. Apparently they hired hundreds of animators, artists, and writers but couldn't find one game designer to make the SoJ interesting.

What the hell does 6% cold damage even mean??? Why does it say "up to 6.5%" chance???

Kyrosiris posted:

Those people also always ignore that Diablo 2's stat allocations were, inevitably, "enough strength or dex to equip your gear and then all into vit", so. :v:

How about learning from other RPGs out there that make stat allocation interesting instead of giving up and throwing everything into a single number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

BattleHamster posted:

Why does it say "up to 6.5%" chance???
IMO, even considering that this is very early stuff, the fact that an item exists with the line "up to 6.5% chance to slow on crit" is just insane.

You might have a small chance to inflict a very minor status effect when you crit and we don't even know what the crit rates are yet. The fact that it's on an SoJ is just icing on the cake.