Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

And nothing of value was lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedi: Fallen Order went up for preorder on Steam. Kind of surprised me, I thought that EA wasn't putting its games on Steam any more? In any case, I might pick it up, but will definitely wait for the reviews to come out. Hopefully it's at least a better port than the Steam version of Force Unleashed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Good riddance I say. The strength of GOT was on the performances, not the scripts. Once they ran out of books and Gurm stopped writing certain episodes it poo poo the bed hard

this. i still love the show but it died after season 6 and even 5 and 6 were pretty rough with scripts.

Chairman Capone posted:

Jedi: Fallen Order went up for preorder on Steam. Kind of surprised me, I thought that EA wasn't putting its games on Steam any more? In any case, I might pick it up, but will definitely wait for the reviews to come out. Hopefully it's at least a better port than the Steam version of Force Unleashed.

https://www.ea.com/news/ea-and-valv...s=1572359094145

Origins sucks and EA knows it, so it made a deal with valve. it just came out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIl2z5wwjdA

the launch trailer came out too. also nightsisters.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There hasn't been a singleplayer oriented SW game in 10 years, and not a good one in almost 15. I will preorder this with no guilt. Also Titanfall 2's campaign is the best straight FPS campaigns in years. I have faith in Respawn.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Resistance Reborn is getting a lot of good chatter right now from earlier reviewers. Seems to be pulling in a lot of continuity from the sequel era comics, books and game. Also it's bringing back Wedge, so that's good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, from the previews released it's building from the endings of both Battlefront II and the Poe Dameron comic series, and also references Resistance, so it's hitting a lot of continuity marks. From the previews I'm actually surprised at how much it's referencing the Poe Dameron comic.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Chairman Capone posted:

The lightsaber fights look loving awesome. Does anyone know if it’s stick-direction based or QTA or both?

I keep reading social media posts from teenage shitheads who say “the combat looks just like Jedi Outcast and Force Unleashed :shepface:“ which has me convinced they haven’t played either.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

"Setback" is not the term I would use. "Dodged bullet" feels more appropriate.

Imagine if Troy Denning wrote a whole Star Wars TV series.

In other content, I've booked my son into a session at Savi's in Disney World's Galaxy's Edge on 12/24.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hazo posted:

The lightsaber fights look loving awesome. Does anyone know if it’s stick-direction based or QTA or both?

I keep reading social media posts from teenage shitheads who say “the combat looks just like Jedi Outcast and Force Unleashed :shepface:“ which has me convinced they haven’t played either.

Do you have links to any lightsaber fight gameplay from Fallen Order?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Xenomrph posted:

Do you have links to any lightsaber fight gameplay from Fallen Order?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jds0T1OezcQ

I guess I’m most impressed with the lightsabers and fighters actually colliding and and interacting as opposed to “push button to swing” like in Jedi Knight etc.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In other content, I've booked my son into a session at Savi's in Disney World's Galaxy's Edge on 12/24.

Awesome! I've done that and I loved it. Post pictures! :)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Be sure to share your experience in the Disney World thread in Tourism & Travel too. Remember you can only get white and yellow crystals in the Den of Antiquities, so plan your Savi’s crystal accordingly!

Hazo fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 2, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hazo posted:

Be sure to share your experience in the Disney World thread in Tourism & Travel too. Remember you can only get white and yellow crystals in the Den of Antiquities, so plan your Savi’s crystal accordingly!

I was reading something about how people have encoded red crystals with the black crystal's info so maybe i won't have to run Baron Rivendare 450 times for the mount.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The obsidian crystals function identically to the red crystals so I don’t know what kind of information would be encoded.

Regardless, you can’t sit there and try and and flashlight the packages to scalp on eBay anymore. They have a cast member posted up by the shelves who will throw you out if you start being weird. It was another one of those cool ideas for a special experience at Galaxy’s Edge that was instantly ruined by nerds and human nature, much like the roaming droids.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hazo posted:

The obsidian crystals function identically to the red crystals so I don’t know what kind of information would be encoded.

Regardless, you can’t sit there and try and and flashlight the packages to scalp on eBay anymore. They have a cast member posted up by the shelves who will throw you out if you start being weird. It was another one of those cool ideas for a special experience at Galaxy’s Edge that was instantly ruined by nerds and human nature, much like the roaming droids.

They do different things if you use them with the Jedi Holocrons (sold separately).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

astr0man posted:

The NJO had some very good high points, the 2 Rebel Dream Allston books and Traitor still stand out as some of my favorite novels from the old EU. I cannot say the same for anything from the major post-NJO arcs.

I had a friend who voraciously read every SW novel that came out at the time, at least for the NJO and onward stuff and her descriptions of some of the events I am sure were far preferable to reading them. I think she was most irritated by Jaina seeking out Boba Fett's help to fight her brother because of his "Jedi Killer" reputation when he is mostly known for being hit in the back by a blind dude and eaten by a sandworm that never moves. Although come to find out later that it was Traviss who wrote that which explained a lot.

I'd never heard Denning and Traviss feuded, though. That sounds amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Getting your feud published and sold to the public is certainly something you don't see every day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Traviss just could not abide anyone demeaning her special snowflake mandos. I really liked her take on the culture, the influence of it on Clone Army special forces, etc...but she got SO PETTY about everything else in the setting. Like, it tracks for Mandalorian mercs to have a dim view of the Jedi or the republic....but when EVERY AINGLE CHARACTER spends the RepCom series dunking on the Jedi Order, it just rings false

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Never forget Karen Travis writing angry blog posts dubbing people who didn’t like her stupid mando plotlines as “Talifans.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
None of this let's Troy Denning off the hook considering he's the one who instigated the pissing match. Traviss doesn't do herself any favours with her attitude but Denning was the one who went out of his way to derail her plotlines out of spite and she returned the favour.
They're both crappy authors who either glorify militarism and yell at detractors or they indulge in ultraviolence and sexual assault in their books. Tahiri molesting Ben was the absolute low point of a pretty terrible book series.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Hazo posted:

Never forget Karen Travis writing angry blog posts dubbing people who didn’t like her stupid mando plotlines as “Talifans.”

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tahiri molesting Ben was the absolute low point of a pretty terrible book series.

I didn't read any of their books because I'd lost interest in the EU before their stuff started coming out but that sounds muy picante, drat

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hey guys! Remember Anakin's friend Tahiri from Junior Jedi Knights? Watch this!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hazo posted:

Also her writing about how much sex her clone characters were having and that the real reason people didn't like her books is because they were incels.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Okay now I wanna read a 3000-word summary of the Traviss-Denning feud.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Van Dis posted:

Okay now I wanna read a 3000-word summary of the Traviss-Denning feud.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

Hey guys! Remember Anakin's friend Tahiri from Junior Jedi Knights? Watch this!

I didn't, so I read her Wookieepedia entry. Boy howdy.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I wish I had easy access to that one post tearing apart one of Traviss's books. It dissected every stupid thing she put into print which was practically every other sentence.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Which one of them gave Admiral Daal the moral high ground?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Traviss. If I remember right she didn't even write her as Daala originally, just had a placeholder "Imperial Woman" character and one of her Mandalorian cultists told her to use Daala.

As I'm writing this I also had blissfully forgot that she established that Daala was Boba Fett's girlfriend. And also that she brain-wiped Fett's established wife in order to make him available for Daala. Also she killed off Fett's established daughter so that she could make space to write her own Fett daughter who I feel was also a Mandalorian Jedi or something stupid like that.

I'm really glad that in the Disney era, Boba Fett seems to be completely forgotten. Not just in-universe, I feel like culturally he's stopped being A Thing.

What is Traviss up to these days? I feel like it's been four or five years since I heard her name attached to anything actually being made.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

What is Traviss up to these days? I feel like it's been four or five years since I heard her name attached to anything actually being made.

Doesn't she write a bunch of Gears of War stuff these days?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think she's been attached to every manly shootman thing at this point.

The Denning/Traviss pissing match ended up killing off two Zahn pet characters. He wasn't consulted at all and found out after the fact.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nowadays Traviss does Halo novels. Notably she writes about ONI black ops teams, the sketchiest parts of the UNSC in the Halo franchise.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
http://web.archive.org/web/20100115...lMessageSubject

I found a decent review analyzing one of her LotF books, in pretty good detail.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Casimir Radon posted:

I think she's been attached to every manly shootman thing at this point.

The Denning/Traviss pissing match ended up killing off two Zahn pet characters. He wasn't consulted at all and found out after the fact.

Was this the point Pellaeon got killed off? I never read far into the NJO, but from summaries it seems every former Imperial officer who survived past Endor suffered a purposefully horrible demise.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mistressminako posted:

Was this the point Pellaeon got killed off? I never read far into the NJO, but from summaries it seems every former Imperial officer who survived past Endor suffered a purposefully horrible demise.
The pissing match, and killing of Pellaeon and Mara Jade was in LOTF. By which point they were letting Denning run everything EU.

NJO killed off Chewie, Anakin, and some more minor characters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Doesn't she write a bunch of Gears of War stuff these days?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nowadays Traviss does Halo novels. Notably she writes about ONI black ops teams, the sketchiest parts of the UNSC in the Halo franchise.

I thought she got dumped from both of those series years ago, too.

I was never a big Halo fan but I did read a couple novels once upon a time, and my sense was that the Halo fandom really didn't like her, either. For a lot of the same reasons.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

VaultAggie posted:

I read a fair share of the novels prior to the whole Vong and Darth Jacen stuff, but loving lmao at all the sad nerds who worshipped this EU as some kind of triumph of storytelling. I’m so glad they burned that poo poo to the ground.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

VaultAggie posted:

This is fascinating because I'd dropped out by then. My biggest question is do Traviss' Mandalorians exist anywhere outside her own novels? The Mandalorians in the Dark Horse stuff and KOTOR certainly aren't the same. I mean, they're tough as nails and Canderous Ordo is gangsta, but nothing like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The closest to Traviss Style Mandalorians outside her own work comes from Jango Fett: Open Seasons.

Simple fact of the matter is that Mandalorians have been portrayed pretty much every which way under the sun and they're wildly inconsistent beyond the "warriors with T-visors" aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

VaultAggie posted:

The best part of reading this is the apparent growing exasperation of the reviewer as he goes along.