Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kazak posted:

Lol I forgot that they blew up 5 count em 5! planets full of life and civilizations

Then in the second movie nobody could be bothered to help fight the baddies

not just 5 random planets, one of them was apparently the capital of the galaxy. can't scrape together more than a handful of people willing to fight the guys who blew up the capital of the galaxy

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Kind of incredible that nobody with any authority to affect decisions ever said "yo maybe this is too much." There's a lot of reasons Starkiller is massively less effective on the viewer than Alderaan but the sheer over the top scale of it is numbing for the viewer rather than horrifying

Having watched Star Wars as a kid I was actually very much scared of the Death Star, it was pretty terrifying, and I remember being scared that the Empire was going to destroy the world at some point without warning.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I mean you can fill in the blanks that Hosnia was a successful crippling decapitation strike and they moved in from the unknown region bases to consolidate power quickly, but they really need stuff like the briefing room scene in ANH to give just a little building to the world around the characters because this is not a blank we should have to fill in IMO. Not to the galactic CSPAN level of watching parliamentary procedure in the prequels, just a quick walk and talk scene where a First Order senior officer is walking with Hux or Kylo and gets a quick line to the effect of "with the Republic fleet and leadership defeated, we were able to move into key systems quickly, and none of the local garrisons will dare to stand up to us with such a show of force." Then quickly get it back to the character stuff by having that lead into another psychic "no you hang up no you hang up" Reylo late night phone call, but throw a quick bone to the worldbuilding.

Alas.

Add Domhnall Gleeson to the pile of good actors struggling to act something lifelike from a paper thin suggestion of a character

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

JJ Abrams: Blowing up an entire planet and all the life on it and the billions of intelligent peaceful people? Move over, grandpa! FIVE PLANETS WOO!!!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Has the game of thrones D&B Netflix project been revealed? Or is it just a big Netflix contract for... TBD?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Has the game of thrones D&B Netflix project been revealed? Or is it just a big Netflix contract for... TBD?

TBD.

I'm awesome at ruining once-good things, I wish I could spin that into a quarter billy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
here 'TBD' stands for 'Tits, Butts, and Dragons'

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

here 'TBD' stands for 'Tits, Butts, and Dragons'

I suddenly appeared in this thread in a puff of smoke what the hell?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

GoT

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thank you

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

I suddenly appeared in this thread in a puff of smoke what the hell?

your true name... it is now known

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh god. With Palpatine being so prominent in the advertising, I realized that Abrams totally was going to have it be that Snoke was Palps somehow until TLJ killed it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god. With Palpatine being so prominent in the advertising, I realized that Abrams totally was going to have it be that Snoke was Palps somehow until TLJ killed it

Why do you feel that the events of TLJ prevent Snoke from being Palpatine?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FilthyImp posted:

idk. i feel like that would be too much planning for any of these guys. i will still say the one thing i genuinly did love in TLJ despite all the other poo poo was that snoke was just some dumb fucker with for powers leading a bunch kids of space facists around by the nose because in the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king. much like kylo wants to be vader, snoke wants to be palpatine but bigger but just like kylo makes for a poor vader, snoke makes for a dumber sheeve and gets wrecked.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chomp8645 posted:

Why do you feel that the events of TLJ prevent Snoke from being Palpatine?

because if they were gonna pull that one out of their rear end, they would have set it up slightly more in the TLJ.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

FilthyImp posted:

I think it's just as likely they were always planning on pulling a Ninja Gaiden II with this trilogy.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
snoke was going to be plagueis. daisy ridley blurted it out at some con leading abrams and kasdan to very obviously (and badly) try to act like they had no idea who darth plagueis was ("Did you say Darth Vegas? No idea who that is."). it's backed up by his theme in TFA being the same theme that plays when palpatine mentions him to anakin. he also looks similar to the old EU design for snoke, and the hosed up head could be explained by palpatine's assassination attempt.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm 90% sure that Snoke was supposed to live until the last movie, and Rian just killed him off as a big "gently caress you, I don't want to be the guy setting everything up for the next director to get all the glory with the big fulfilling ending".

Also I am loving the "fan theory videos" that are picking apart the trailers, and explaining how everything is going to happen because some comic/cartoon/game said "this has happened". They don't seem to understand that Rian & JJ didn't give a crap about the EU and all of the backstory it contained.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic. Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. i feel like that would be too much planning for any of these guys. i will still say the one thing i genuinly did love in TLJ despite all the other poo poo was that snoke was just some dumb fucker with for powers leading a bunch kids of space facists around by the nose because in the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king. much like kylo wants to be vader, snoke wants to be palpatine but bigger but just like kylo makes for a poor vader, snoke makes for a dumber sheeve and gets wrecked.

Which would carry any weight at all what so ever if he didn't just appear from thin air leading a new galactic empire that also appeared from thin air for no reason and none of it, or him, has any reason or logic to possibly have come into existence or power in the approximately 12 hours since the rebels defeated the previous empire

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Mabe JJ and Rian are poo poo storytellers?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
"alright so how did the last Star Wars movie end?"

"well the empire was defeated, the emperor was killed and the last death star was destroyed. The rebels won"

"So how do we make a modern star wars movie? There's no conflict?" :stare:

"gently caress, uhhhh""

"well, lets bring back the empire, create a new emperor and make a new death star"

"but how did they do any of that??"

"shut up, people won't care this will make a billion bucks"

And it did.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

"alright so how did the last Star Wars movie end?"

"well the empire was defeated, the emperor was killed and the last death star was destroyed. The rebels won"

"So how do we make a modern star wars movie? There's no conflict?" :stare:

"gently caress, uhhhh""

"well, lets bring back the empire, create a new emperor and make a new death star"

"but how did they do any of that??"

"shut up, people won't care this will make a billion bucks"

And it did.

We want to make movies, but we don't want to make new movies.

We also need all the fan-favorite characters (i.e. all of them) to appear, so it can't be like 100 years in the future or something.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Randarkman posted:

Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic. Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

The best part of this is that it’s probably how historians will remember it. The emperor was actually a dark wizard from a millennia-old empire of evil who masterminded both sides do the civil war and killed the leading Jedi personally by shooting magic lightning at him? Uh huh, sure buddy, sounds like someone’s been reading a little too much Great Man theory.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

skasion posted:

The best part of this is that it’s probably how historians will remember it. The emperor was actually a dark wizard from a millennia-old empire of evil who masterminded both sides do the civil war and killed the leading Jedi personally by shooting magic lightning at him? Uh huh, sure buddy, sounds like someone’s been reading a little too much Great Man theory.

Wait until you find out about what the Jedi were REALLY doing in the basement at Daxs space pizza cafe or whatever that place was.
It's all true.
The space wizards. All of it. Buddy just read this where are you going?!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Blistex posted:

I'm 90% sure that Snoke was supposed to live until the last movie, and Rian just killed him off as a big "gently caress you, I don't want to be the guy setting everything up for the next director to get all the glory with the big fulfilling ending".

So I'm confused, which is it: Lucasfilm/Disney didn't know Rian was messing up the grand plan and just let him do whatever he wanted, or Lucasfilm/Disney didn't like a character's attitude in Rogue One and forced them to reshoot 3/4 of the movie? It doesn't seem like both of these can be true.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I think you'll find that the truth lies somewhere in the "no one knows what the gently caress they're doing or gives two shits about it even if they did"

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

They didn't like the borderline terroristic aspect of the rebels in Rogue One so they reshot. That's compatible with a studio who will let any manner of Star wars movie go to theaters as long as it's plucky and not too gritty

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Resistance used to have funding from the New Republic but they got it taken away when it was discovered the Resistance was smuggling cocaine to boost revenue and that's why nobody wants to come help them at the end of TLJ.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

TLJ should have had Leia go out exactly like the end of Scarface

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

poisonpill posted:

TLJ should have had Leia go out exactly like the end of Scarface

Is the video game canon? Tony Montana actually survived if so. That’d be very much a Star Wars thing to do.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A Disney+ adaptation of Flight of the Phoenix (1965) where a group of rebel soldiers crash lands on tatooine and must salvage enough of their ship to get the remaining members of the group who don't get eaten by Sand People back to tosche station.

The group never makes it out, and one ends up living as a hermit in the desert. The force works in mysterious ways.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Star Wars, the musical. Starring Kelly Clarkson and Adam Lambert.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I want to see an imperial character requesting some kind of trasde good only to find out it was produced on one of the planets they blew up and now he cant have it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Who cares they'll just replicate it.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Blistex posted:

Mabe JJ and Rian are poo poo storytellers?

People are still saying JJ "set (things) up". As if he was going to execute from there.

Like even if Snoke is Plagueis. And even if they bring him back with robot legs. The villain of ep 9 was probably still going to be the Emperor, and people still would have left saying Snoke was totally pointless and never really did anything.

It wouldn't surprise me if the end of ep 9 was to have been Kylo dying because he throws the Emperor down the light shaft room from Duel of the Fates, and they have to quickly cut to some space cops arresting Snoke because he's so useless to the plot that they can't come up with an ending.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I want to see an imperial character requesting some kind of trasde good only to find out it was produced on one of the planets they blew up and now he cant have it.

STAR WARS
EPISODE IX
THE LAST OF THE RISE OF THE RETURN OF THE SKYWALKER

Turmoil has engulfed, like, two or three star systems maybe? The explosion of five planets planets has probably disrupted trade, if I had to guess.
Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships, the comically inept First Order is skulking around and generally being a nuisance.
While nobody in the entire galaxy has noticed or seem to care about this alarming chain of events, the rebellion only has two Jedi, one of whom only exists in repurposed footage and CGI, to settle the conflict....

[zoom down to a desert planet]

[indistinct chatter]: "Yeah no this isn't Tattooine or Jakku, this is a different planet."

[45 minutes of CGI battle ensues. There are heroes on both sides.]

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
*man kneels down, touches finger to ground, licks finger*

'it's sand.'

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Somewhere, in one of the planet spanning cities on one of the core worlds, a man reads the news on a holopad to his wife.
"Says here the New Galactic Empire blew up some planets somewhere again."
"Oh? Which ones."
"Doesn't say. Says there's some Jedi activity in the area."
"Aren't they terrorists?"
"I dunno. With that weird religious poo poo they talk about..."
*literally no one remembers that within their own lifetime that the Jedi were the most powerful force for good in the entire galaxy and that force users were not only common, but expected in the military and government and it's use was extremely widespread and common for thousands of years prior and now can't remember that ever being a thing or that "the force" even exists as a concept despite happening in gigantic, galactic battles that would have been publicly broadcast and shown everywhere constantly across the galaxy*

Like literally entire planets across the galaxy and their entire populations call upon the Senate and Jedi council to please god dispatch Jedi to their system specifically for their force powers to settle disputes and fight their battles and poo poo for them and help them because they know they are literally magical religious space wizard warriors and have been doing this for actual eons. They have massive temple complexes. Including a huge gently caress off one where people know to send their force sensitive children. In the capitol of the galaxy that everyone knows about. Where there is a Jedi Council full of powerful magic wizards that everyone is aware of.

less than 15 years later - Han Solo, from one of these massive, well connected planets and well traveled space man, as well as elderly, experienced evil space military men who surely would have been involved, if not directly WITH Jedi, have known about their battle prowess or even been in the military WHEN THEY WERE USED: "...the what now?"

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 4, 2019

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

snoke was an innocent rando alien who got himself possessed, palpatine baited Kylo into killing his meat puppet as a test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Jedi were a religious order who propped up a corrupt government that served their interests. They talked a good game, served in plenty of high offices and claimed to have many mystic powers, but in the end they tried to assassinate the legally elected head of state and failed, so he purged them. Their religion clearly didn’t give them the powers they pretended it did, and only wingnuts and terrorists preach it.

People know of the doctrine of “the force”, they just don’t believe in it. Motti and Han both clearly have run into people talking about force powers before; that’s the basis for their skepticism, because the people who actually displayed force powers got wiped out a generation ago.