Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm with you on the style d4 looks to have. It looks dark as gently caress. Hope evangelicals get extra huffy puffy about any TV ads.

They should run the announcement cinematic as an ad on TV completely out of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

tetsuo posted:

To kill him? Go here -

and take the central portal to the Soulstone Chamber.

You can hover over the little demon head next to some waypoints to find the boss-level mob that's accessible there. (Belial, Adria, etc) if you're still leaning where they're all at.

On console, one of the triggers should tell you the boss names.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Mustached Demon posted:

Oh totally. You can pick whatever difficulty you want now and play at a pace you enjoy.

Until you've geared up at max level and can shred t16.

Then you get to play greater rifts which scale to infinity. There will always be an unbeatable challenge.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Are the people who hate on Diablo 3 the ones who also don't remember that we had an extended Family & Friends + "Closed" Beta that was super easy to get into, so likely everyone who bought the game because of liking D2 also would've either known what the game was, or had played it themselves.

I have a metric poo poo-ton of hours in D3 and enjoyed the heck out it even when it was Alkaizer runs, all the way through to post-ROS.

Dunno how I feel about Diablo 4 though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

D. Ebdrup posted:

Are the people who hate on Diablo 3 the ones who also don't remember that we had an extended Family & Friends + "Closed" Beta that was super easy to get into, so likely everyone who bought the game because of liking D2 also would've either known what the game was, or had played it themselves.

I have a metric poo poo-ton of hours in D3 and enjoyed the heck out it even when it was Alkaizer runs, all the way through to post-ROS.

Dunno how I feel about Diablo 4 though.
The FNF/closed beta only showed up to leoric. Which felt like a bait and switch at release, because the game's mechanics and story sort of held up at that point and derailed entirely not long after. Most of the things that were flying yellow flags felt like "well, it's just the closed beta and we're only level 12 so it probably gets way better as the game goes on. D2 started out weak at the low levels and ramped up like mad." Except launch d3 at the start was okay and then it falls off a drat cliff and every system in the game falls apart except for boss fights which were pretty well done (except inferno azmodan who they didn't playtest before release... which says everything you need to know about launch d3 sucking).

To be clear, I hate on release D3 and the single player. Current D3 seasonal in adventure mode is quite good. Heck, they even fixed the game pre-RoS when they had para 100 as the cap. I got para 100 then. There are parts of D3 I've always liked, but there are parts I always dislike as well.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 3, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think the fact that leoric is one of the only bosses who gets an ingame cinematic spawn animation is kind of telling. People were positive on the beta because the level 1-13 experience is better than the rest of it. Even if you're in the group who thinks RoF is good the original D3 is hilariously bad and yet people still enjoyed the beta because it wasn't indicative of the entire game.

I'm trying to remember if there were any other bosses that didn't involve loading in through a boss door and getting some lovely intro cinematic? I seem to remember that leoric stood alone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Agent355 posted:

I think the fact that leoric is one of the only bosses who gets an ingame cinematic spawn animation is kind of telling. People were positive on the beta because the level 1-13 experience is better than the rest of it. Even if you're in the group who thinks RoF is good the original D3 is hilariously bad and yet people still enjoyed the beta because it wasn't indicative of the entire game.

I'm trying to remember if there were any other bosses that didn't involve loading in through a boss door and getting some lovely intro cinematic? I seem to remember that leoric stood alone.

Belial has both an in-game transformation and a weird cutscene transformation

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ironman runs - which were at least as far as I remember inspired by the F&F beta, were fun well into post-ROS for me, though admittedly that's a self-imposed challenge which means probably less than a fraction of 1% have even heard of it.
Also there was a public beta, wasn't there?

Zoltun Kulle also had an intro.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Belial's buildup and fight is better than Leoric's.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Online only for D4 just like D3 for PC. I'm sure that'll change if/when D4 gets to console.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

Belial's buildup and fight is better than Leoric's.
Belial's fights is one of the best in the genre and was at launch too. Maybe old Vaal from PoE comes close, where he can one shot you in 5 different ways but you can play around all of them.

To point out how lovely launch inferno was, we could kill every boss but we could not even kill white mobs in a2/a3/a4. Not even like blue or yellow mobs. Just plain old white mobs were unkillable. But act boss fights were totally doable in the same gear. It felt like they didn't work on inferno at all and just assumed people would grind gear in a1 for an eternity until they could barely farm gear in a2. Like they had a whole "for 1 year after launch players will do this until they can clear inferno a4" plan that fell flat on its face with people exploiting weapon racks, chests, dying/flag spamming to get to bosses, etc.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Online only for D4 just like D3 for PC. I'm sure that'll change if/when D4 gets to console.
I can't see this game not coming to console, the vertical slice UI looks specifically crafted to the point that I was half-hoping someone would ask "Don't you guys have computers, instead of designing console games" at the event.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
The mount better be able to go back to town to sell.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Running into A2 inferno and just getting instagibbed by bees while decked out in completely perfect A1 Inferno gear was the only D3 endgame at launch

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

D. Ebdrup posted:

I can't see this game not coming to console, the vertical slice UI looks specifically crafted to the point that I was half-hoping someone would ask "Don't you guys have computers, instead of designing console games" at the event.

They announced it for console, specifically PS4 and xBone but that'll definitely change before release.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Agent355 posted:

God I remember playing the D3 beta for an absurd amount of time when it released cause it was so drat good.

Sad the game didn't carry that magical feel

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Running into A2 inferno and just getting instagibbed by bees while decked out in completely perfect A1 Inferno gear was the only D3 endgame at launch

Tell that to all of the pots I straight up murdered. :colbert:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Virtually all of Diablo 3 sales in the last 2 years have been console sales, they would never abandon such a huge market.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bust Rodd posted:

How many hours have you played Diablo 3?

Much like destiny 2, way too goddamn many. I fully admit to being part of the problem where I spent money on a thing that I wanted just fit the fact that it was the closest thing I could get to fill the void.

I'm not saying it was terrible, but it's not a game that stands out in a crowd outside of the name BLIZZARD DIABLO plastered on it.

My billionth run of link's awakening on og Gameboy is more evocative of happy feelings than d3 provides, and I really wish that it could stand on its own merits. What it could have been is unfortunately not what it is. I truly hope that in the interim the life support team continues to iterate on it for those still playing.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Bust Rodd posted:

All I did was farm the siege demon on my demon Hunter which was the only class that could live since they had a an invuln and dodge. I made a few hundred dollars on the real money AH selling rares and thought it was the greatest game ever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Goons just NEED Diablo 3 to have been a failure despite literally all the evidence indicating it was, and is, extremely popular and beloved.

Man I like Diablo 3 too but it feels like you're projecting here.

Blizz planned an expansion and cancelled it while other more easily monetizable live service games continued to get support to a point, and support for HotS was also scaled back due to it underperforming according to their standards.

Comparing ActiBlizz's actions regarding D3 to their history before they became the monetization monster they are now instead of comparing them to ongoing decisions made in the present day is an utterly useless self-reassurance

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Virtually all of Diablo 3 sales in the last 2 years have been console sales, they would never abandon such a huge market.

They haven't officially announced a console version so I just wanted to be accurate for the moment. I'm 1000% sure they'll have a console version, maybe even a version for Microsoft Win10 store so you can cross play with Xbox from PC.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Xarbala posted:

Blizz planned an expansion and cancelled it while other more easily monetizable live service games continued to get support to a point, and support for HotS was also scaled back due to it underperforming according to their standards.

Comparing ActiBlizz's actions regarding D3 to their history before they became the monetization monster they are now instead of comparing them to ongoing decisions made in the present day is an utterly useless self-reassurance

Uh they were/are/will be about the money. They've been on Wall Street since the Vivendi days. Had they wanted to add monetization to D3 after the close of the RMAH they could have. Buy pets and transmog and whatever else they wanted to sell. They chose not to do that. Now why they chose that, I don't know. But I suspect that the core player base from the D1/D2 days would have complained, just like if they do add it to some great degree the core D3 base will complain as well. Overwatch and Heroes shipped with monetization and I think that makes a difference.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Xarbala posted:

Yeah but like that other goon posted planning and then cancelling an expansion isn’t the same thing as making your red-headed step-son sleep in the shed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but like that other goon posted planning and then cancelling an expansion isn’t the same thing as making your red-headed step-son sleep in the shed.

what are you even on about at this point? Launch D3 sucking horribly isn't even a controversial opinion in the least and it's blatantly obvious that blizzard burned up an extraordinary amount of goodwill with its release.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Loot being completely worthless and garbage in inferno at release d3 is something Poe has been trying to perfectly copy for years apparently. They got garbage d3 loot system down to a loving T! D3 current loot system feels really good, in my opinion.

Bust Rodd posted:

Inferno act 3 and 4 were actually pretty tame. Act 2 is where they mega hosed up. Even inferno act 1 felt good.

Bust Rodd posted:

Goons just NEED Diablo 3 to have been a failure despite literally all the evidence indicating it was, and is, extremely popular and beloved.

Also I reject the idea that D3 sold entirely based on D2’s nostalgia, I played D2 and wasn’t nostalgic for it and basically everyone who plays it below the age of 30 probably has no recollection of Diablo 2 as anything other than “that game where you killed the same boss over and over and over forever”

I think there is 2 camps for d2. There's release d2/release of the d2 expansion camp. And then after d2 got the same support of d3 currently has had another camp of people who kept playing it with all the small additions they made to the game.

Near the release of d2 not many people used rune words and I don't think the runeword that gave everyone teleport wasn't out. Release d2 was like as many ist can you put into an alibaba, done. I never played d2 with uber fights, I had long outgrown the game by that point.

wet_goods posted:

All I did was farm the siege demon on my demon Hunter which was the only class that could live since they had a an invuln and dodge. I made a few hundred dollars on the real money AH selling rares and thought it was the greatest game ever.

I farmed the siege demon with my barb in inferno, Tyrael did all the dmg. Inferno DH was really good at doing dmg in inferno though.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 3, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tenzarin posted:

Loot being completely worthless and garbage in inferno at release d3 is something Poe has been trying to perfectly copy for years apparently. They got garbage d3 loot system down to a loving T! D3 current loot system feels really good, in my opinion.

But how can that be when PoE is the bestest ever forever and completely infallible and Diablo III is bad and garbage if you ignore years of improvements? :confused:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

But how can that be when PoE is the bestest ever forever and completely infallible and Diablo III is bad and garbage if you ignore years of improvements? :confused:

It's because he's wrong and POE loot is good :ms:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'd like PoE loot a lot more if it didn't feel like 95% of the time I only got upgrades from trading. It just one vomits way too much utter poo poo at you and makes it hard to actually sort through to find anything that might be good, while trade makes it way easier to find anything, but also feels like the only thing you'll find anything you want for your build in a clean amount of time but also is a pain in the rear end to deal with. I like that gearing is less straightforward than in D3 but uuugh.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you what to simulate playing POE, walk around the walmart parking lot picking up pennies. You win when you can go inside and buy a hat.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Gorelab posted:

I'd like PoE loot a lot more if it didn't feel like 95% of the time I only got upgrades from trading. It just one vomits way too much utter poo poo at you and makes it hard to actually sort through to find anything that might be good, while trade makes it way easier to find anything, but also feels like the only thing you'll find anything you want for your build in a clean amount of time but also is a pain in the rear end to deal with. I like that gearing is less straightforward than in D3 but uuugh.

I started playing POE again recently and this is completely different from last time I played. It just dumps good items on you non-stop and the progression feels very smooth if you're playing a build that isn't completely hosed up. They added solo self found leagues so everything has been adjusted to make people more self sufficient overall.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
My experience with PoE was that it was very unfun. Possibly too complicated. But it just didn't feel very good.

Diablo 3 definitely had issues when it first came out, but I still liked that more than PoE. And where Diablo 3 eventually ended up seems worlds better to me.

That said there were some things I definitely missed from Diablo 2, and I wish I could go back to Diablo 2 and play some of their classes with some of the builds and items I used to try and get to. But sadly Diablo 2 doesn't seem to have aged well as far as gameplay.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Gorelab posted:

I don't agree that finding loot is all that painful in poe, it's MORE painful than D3 but IMO D3 is kind of a joke with the dopamine loot rate.

But as a serious point I'm not sure how you would balance this. If we assume a loot system has enough variety so that 'gearing up' is more than just 'this are the 4 sets your class has' how can you ALSO guarantee that you find whatever niche items you want? You could institute some sort of arcane dust crafting system but then 'gearing up' is effectively grinding for an hour and then buying the gear you want and that's extremely boring.

If PoE doesn't hit the balance level somebody wants I'm not entirely sure it exists. The only reason it doesn't take long to find stuff in D3 is because there just isn't that much stuff worth anything and they buffed the rates so you'll find one of the 8 items you care about fairly quickly. If you had 1000 items so that you could actually build your own gear instead of having the devs decide what is good nothing short of some hacked d2 mod drop rate would be enough to find EVERYTHING you could want in a reasonable time.

It's why I think trading is a necessary evil in these sort of games.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
DIablo 2's gameplay has aged fine, it's everything else about it that is bad at this point. Though the plugy mod fixes most of the glaring stuff plus gives you infinite stash and the high resolution mod helps a lot, too. Still feel like a 15-20 year old game, but there's a ton of depth to it compared to almost any other ARPG out there

Agent355 posted:

I don't agree that finding loot is all that painful in poe, it's MORE painful than D3 but IMO D3 is kind of a joke with the dopamine loot rate.

But as a serious point I'm not sure how you would balance this. If we assume a loot system has enough variety so that 'gearing up' is more than just 'this are the 4 sets your class has' how can you ALSO guarantee that you find whatever niche items you want? You could institute some sort of arcane dust crafting system but then 'gearing up' is effectively grinding for an hour and then buying the gear you want and that's extremely boring.

If PoE doesn't hit the balance level somebody wants I'm not entirely sure it exists. The only reason it doesn't take long to find stuff in D3 is because there just isn't that much stuff worth anything and they buffed the rates so you'll find one of the 8 items you care about fairly quickly. If you had 1000 items so that you could actually build your own gear instead of having the devs decide what is good nothing short of some hacked d2 mod drop rate would be enough to find EVERYTHING you could want in a reasonable time.

It's why I think trading is a necessary evil in these sort of games.

Breaking things down into 'solo self found' and normal game w/ trading really helps. IMO ARPGs are way more fun when played as solo self found, but a lot of people like being able to just buy some cheap gear and owning. Self found D2 was way more fun to me than trading for, or worse still just buying off jsp, gear.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 3, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Agent355 posted:

You could institute some sort of arcane dust crafting system but then 'gearing up' is effectively grinding for an hour and then buying the gear you want and that's extremely boring.

You described the POE gear progression system perfectly.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

You described the POE gear progression system perfectly.

:shrek:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
D3 itemization to me feels like you basically get a complete set within a couple days, and then it turns into an endless slog where you either never replace your gear or you have some tedious grind where you just sit and hope something useful eventually drops. This makes it fun for a week or so every once in a while, but not something I can play for months at a time.

PoE is far more iterated, where you're constantly finding 3-5% upgrades, with the occasional huge upgrade, and the trade system lets you get more creative by letting you fill a build-defining slot, or doing stuff like "if I get stat x on this then I can add stat y on that". For me it's a much smoother power curve and that drip feed keeps me engaged.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I really like how d3 gives you so much loot now that people just throw it on the ground in the town. No need to horde items to hope to sell to some schmuck on the internet. You can play it perfectly fine finding every single thing you need. And the items don't even need to be perfect because what can be on the item is generally useful.

D3 still has some trading during the first weekend of a season. I've bought power leveling an alt for a few puzzle rings, a few times.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Tenzarin posted:

I really like how d3 gives you so much loot now that people just throw it on the ground in the town. No need to horde items to hope to sell to some schmuck on the internet. You can play it perfectly fine finding every single thing you need. And the items don't even need to be perfect because what can be on the item is generally useful.

D3 still has some trading during the first weekend of a season. I've bought power leveling an alt for a few puzzle rings, a few times.

The enchantment system helped with this too making near perfect items able to be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

ITT: PoE loot sucks, D2 greatest game ever, D3 sucked on release, D3 great now(yet people only play for 30h on season start), I don't like complicated things, blizzard can do no wrong.