Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Sky Shadowing posted:

In addition, they've established a setting where the entire message is "corporations are bad", and I have real doubts that they'll manage to actually continue the franchise with that message given that, while at the time they started making the game they were a small indie developer, they're now a fully-owned subsidiary of Microsoft, one of the world's burgeoning mega-corps.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Honestly i don't think this game is as bad as people are making it out to be i think a lot of people just rushed loving through it without taking the time to appreciate things but most of the complaints about the game being more shallow than it should be is true, and it definitely hit a bit lower than my expectations for it, which to be honest werent extremely high either. Overall the game is solid and enjoyable but I totally agree that I would feel a bit upset at paying 60 dollars

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
why people are trying to psychoanalyze the game is beyond me. messages require real world applicability, and the game's a bunch of loving cartoons hollering at each other as you blast them with plasma

might as well ask what mario v rabbids says about gun control

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm running around Monarch with two followers atm, which is so packed full of mobs that it's like I'm playing a WoW expansion, and I'm already sick of this game's rock-paper-scissors combat where you have to figure out which weapon you have isn't absolute trash against X monster.

Also the game doesn't seem to have as deep a world as say a Fallout title--Fallout you can get lost in one corner of the map picking through side dungeons. Not so much here.

Those are the two really bad things I can say about it. If you like F:NV it should be on your list. If you demand anything more ambitious than that gameplay-wise, look elsewhere.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

This is like fallout where you can get radiation damage weapons that are weak against everything that matters. As opposed to regular bullets which works on everything.

I really need to put down Wow Classic and just finish this stupid game so I can read the spoilers.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Whoever said to bring Felix along on Vicar Max's personal quest, thanks. I went from thinking he was by far the worst companion to really enjoying the way he deliberately fucks with Max while you're all tripping together.

mormonpartyboat posted:

why people are trying to psychoanalyze the game is beyond me. messages require real world applicability, and the game's a bunch of loving cartoons hollering at each other as you blast them with plasma

might as well ask what mario v rabbids says about gun control

Maybe you dont have a Facebook with a bunch of older relatives on it but the discourse is not exactly smarter IRL than it is in the Outer Worlds

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Finish a "Nice person" play through, this is a decent game, bit too short.

Not sure if I can really be bothered to go through a "bad person" experience though, not sure if the differences are that big, other than "murder everything" instead of "solving everything".

The Companion AI is pretty silly, most of the companion's got the standard Obsidian "redemption" arch, except Parvati, that one's adorable.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I wish my companions could just stand with me and fire their machineguns instead of running up to melee distance to fire them. Yes I have melee fighting turned off.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lol yeah my Space's Choice rep was only 14% negative after dooming their entire factory town meanwhile I had 100% positive from all the other quests I did for them

well Tobson aggressed me as I was leaving town and I killed him rather than ran away, think maybe I took out 2 or 3 other guards before I got the gently caress out of dodge so... now I don't have any quests to do for them other than return the book to Vicar and I'm pretty sure he's just going to shoot me as soon as he sees me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I shot Tobson straight off after Parveta joined my party, which led to every named character in town deciding to attack me.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Reed is alright. This is what I don't get about you bad guys

I shot Adelaide and stuffed her in a crate. I then went out and told the drum circle that she abandoned them and they were like "Yeah okay" which is the moral of the story. That the hero wins anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Whoever said to bring Felix along on Vicar Max's personal quest, thanks. I went from thinking he was by far the worst companion to really enjoying the way he deliberately fucks with Max while you're all tripping together.

Hell yes that entire sequence owned

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

If you used charm as a dump stat, your negative rep will increase much faster, making npcs a lot more trigger happy

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

HORMELCHILI posted:

Honestly i don't think this game is as bad as people are making it out to be i think a lot of people just rushed loving through it without taking the time to appreciate things

No. It's just a bad space game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah I didn't hate Felix but he felt kinda superfluous, but I happened to bring him along for that and it owned hard

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
you know, I've been thinking about it, and you know what this game needs? A quest from Captain Macredd that leads to him somehow "expanding his kingdom" by taking over the entirety of Groundbreaker

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
There's no way Obsidian didn't anticipate the player's rep with the Board being kill on sight in 90% of cases by the time they reach Byzantium. This can only mean the game play I encountered there, namely that of killing every guard in the city as well as every named NPC that arbitrarily aggroed on me the moment I got there, is all working as intended.

I feel bad saying this but I'd be pissed about this in a better game (I had a similar thing happen in NV as a result of a Vault 11 bug and it sucked), but here I'm just relieved that's a few less potential quest givers I have to worry about. I'm glad Parvati didn't mind me blowing the dress maker's head off for her quest. She shot me first lol

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'm running around Monarch with two followers atm, which is so packed full of mobs that it's like I'm playing a WoW expansion, and I'm already sick of this game's rock-paper-scissors combat where you have to figure out which weapon you have isn't absolute trash against X monster.

Also the game doesn't seem to have as deep a world as say a Fallout title--Fallout you can get lost in one corner of the map picking through side dungeons. Not so much here.

Those are the two really bad things I can say about it. If you like F:NV it should be on your list. If you demand anything more ambitious than that gameplay-wise, look elsewhere.

I can only imagine people making this complaint are playing on hard or above, just play the game on normal if the combat is tedious, that's all you need to do!

Deified Data posted:

There's no way Obsidian didn't anticipate the player's rep with the Board being kill on sight in 90% of cases by the time they reach Byzantium. This can only mean the game play I encountered there, namely that of killing every guard in the city as well as every named NPC that arbitrarily aggroed on me the moment I got there, is all working as intended.

I don't think they did expect that. I was anti board and never gained a point with them but I also never lost one! They definitely don't EXPECT that since you can't finish parvati or ellie's personal quests if everyone in Byzantium is dead.

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah I didn't hate Felix but he felt kinda superfluous, but I happened to bring him along for that and it owned hard

Felix and Ellie are both a bit meh.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's a few moments where Felix and Vicar Max are just such catty bitches to each other and I would've liked to have seen more of that.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

Taear posted:

I can only imagine people making this complaint are playing on hard or above, just play the game on normal if the combat is tedious, that's all you need to do

I don't know. I played through on hard and one of my only complaints about the game was how easy all the combat was. I never paid any attention to damage types and I had to stop using TTD pretty quickly so that every fight in the game wasn't over before the entire enemy group even knew I was there. I wanted fights to last longer, not be over instantaneously. I think I used adrenos maybe 5 times total for the whole game and I had to keep selling them because they were one of the biggest things weighing me down. Maybe long guns is just a bit overpowered? I really thought damage types were going to matter and they just didn't.

The only exception to this was the very last section of the game (and the awful boss there) which seemed very strangely tuned on hard difficulty. I think this mostly had to do with how n-ray damage works though and the fact that you don't really see it before then would explain why it was so weirdly out of balance with the rest of the games mechanics. Doesn't explain the boss though.

If the only complaint is that some areas of the game are just too dense with enemies though then I agree with that in the case of Monarch. But the only reason I felt that way was because I went to areas the game doesn't even send you to and explored because I thought I was going to find cool stuff but I really only found dozens of creature camps with almost nothing in them. Making the combat easier by turning down the difficulty does nothing for this complaint though because the fights couldn't have been over any faster, it just wasn't rewarding in any way to have these encounters.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 4, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AngryGuy posted:

I don't know. I played through on hard and one of my only complaints about the game was how easy all the combat was. I never paid any attention to damage types and I had to stop using TTD pretty quickly so that every fight in the game wasn't over before the entire enemy group even knew I was there. I wanted fights to last longer, not be over instantaneously. I think I used adrenos maybe 5 times total for the whole game and I had to keep selling them because they were one of the biggest things weighing me down. Maybe long guns is just a bit overpowered? I really thought damage types were going to matter and they just didn't.

To me "tedious and there's lots of mobs" means combat is taking too long rather than it's too easy, I dunno?
I was on normal and I healed and died loving loads but I don't usually play shooters so I'd just stand in the open shooting until the enemy was dead most of the time and I can't usually tell where I'm being shot from.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

Taear posted:

To me "tedious and there's lots of mobs" means combat is taking too long rather than it's too easy, I dunno?
I was on normal and I healed and died loving loads but I don't usually play shooters so I'd just stand in the open shooting until the enemy was dead most of the time and I can't usually tell where I'm being shot from.

I think I kind of expressed myself poorly in that I was mixing in one of my own complaints about the game about how easy it is with the tediousness complaint. I just have a hard time understanding the complaint that combat is tedious when all the fights were over sooo loving fast for me with most enemies dying in a single shot. You can argue that TTD makes fights last longer and maybe that becomes tedious but after I stopped using it I still found fights were over almost instantly with almost no enemy in the game even being able to get a shot off on me and not because I was being clever in how I was playing the game but just because enemies were dying so fast. This just doesn't match up with someone saying that fights are taking too long and that they have to worry about damage types in order to deal damage to certain enemies. The time it would have taken me to switch weapons around in my inventory would have been on average longer than any fight in this game lasted for me so I just didn't do it.

In terms of difficulty, I recognize that I probably have a lot more hours invested in shooters than a lot of other players so I'm not trying to poo poo on players who aren't as good at shooters, I just found there wasn't anything there for me in terms of difficulty even when I specifically turned the difficulty up in order to mitigate this for myself.

So you're right that there are two separate complaints here but I don't understand the tediousness part when everything is just dead so fast. Again, maybe this has something to do with long guns being a little too powerful. Maybe it's that I paid more attention to upgrading my weapons than other players that have these complaints. Maybe fights last longer with melee or handguns or something else. It's just not a complaint that I understand based on my playthrough of the game on a difficulty level where enemies have more health than normal. Too many mobs in certain areas? Totally onboard with that. But my ideal solution to that would be less enemies with more health or more challenging mechanics that extended the encounter length.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 4, 2019

bou
Aug 3, 2006

It's clear enough that the writers hadn't the time or budget to program world reactions for every situation that players want to try. So far I would say it's good enough to really good if you stay somewhat close to the intended path(s).
What it does absolutely right is that it delivers it's flavour background information in easily digestable portions which are totally sufficient to make me feel like i understnad what's going on around me and why. I still have nightmares of Fallouts endless scrolling textscreens mostly culminating in a single punchline or the whole history in Pillars of Eternity which i'm pretty sure consists of more words than the loving bible.

Sometimes less is more.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Eschenique posted:

I wish my companions could just stand with me and fire their machineguns instead of running up to melee distance to fire them. Yes I have melee fighting turned off.

Have you set their engagement range

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

they acted like idiots for me regardless. really had to babysit them and just exploit the space gorilla AI in the supernova. which, doesnt make the game harder and only more annoying.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Eschenique posted:

Should be able to set their AI to defensive and declare weapons free targets using the X key or whatever that bind is in TTD. Then again I mostly just waded through everything on normal so I may not be the best dispenser of advice

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

they acted like idiots for me regardless. really had to babysit them and just exploit the space gorilla AI in the supernova. which, doesnt make the game harder and only more annoying.

yeah i'm really glad i did not do supernova on my first playthrough like i was considering. i had a suspicion that i was going to have to do a lot of work to keep companions alive to see their content and thought it would be really unfun. when i saw how absolutely horrible they were while actually playing the game, i knew i had made the right decision. it's amazing to me that you could actually keep them alive through a whole game with them in your party the entire time.

i'm not particularly motivated to play the game again but if i do play a supernova game then it will definitely be a lone wolf play.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

still on the first planet but :laffo: i gave my companion a grenade launcher and everything dies before i can look at it to shoot it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

For me combat is tedious because there's very few enemy types and you fight them loads. By the end of Monarch I'd killed so many Mantiqueens and they all take loads of shooting and are just really goddamn boring.
I think I'd have been okay with it if they didn't respawn.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I went into this game mostly blind and greatly enjoyed the planets and quests up to Byzantium, but I have two major gripes that prevent me from replaying this until a few patches and possible mods down the road.

What annoys me pretty much constantly is the awful, awful inventory Tetris. It's a grid view instead of a list for your dozens of looted items and you also have to manage countless consumables with different bonuses this way. You can sort but not by attributes and equipping or finding items ignores the sort option until you sort manually again - except in containers and your companions' equipment screens, where you can't sort to begin with. So I'm moving my cursor over dozens of items to find the one with the right bonus or to see which food I need to take, or even just to see if I'm not accidentally selling my tinkered Assault Rifle among the 10 of them because there's no option to mark items as a favourite or lock them. Also it's super cool my buddies' equipment is way over there in a different tab of the menu and I can't unequip their stuff so I have to keep throwaway things to put on them or memorize who's wearing what in case I want to see whether the new stuff I found is worth using on them. Or I just leave them in random gear I put on them 10 levels ago because who cares.

Second, flaws are a cool feature on paper but the implementation just sucks. Several flaws feel like the game is trying to cheat me with classic 90s RPG trap talents that you take because they sound good, but aren't (which you can't know except with hindsight or meta knowledge). Robophobic was offered to me as the first or second flaw in the game and I took it at a time when I had no way of knowing how quickly perks would become abundant so the additional ones from flaws wouldn't be worth it (answer: very quickly), how many robots I would meet over the course of the game (the later in the game, the more robots everywhere), what the game considered to be "near robots" (not a big deal in combat, thankfully), that passive/friendly robots would trigger the penalty (:argh:), that I would get a robot companion, that -3 attributes is massive and how there's absolutely no way to permanently change/increase those attributes the flaw is affecting. So now I'm eating an unavoidable penalty worth 1-2 levels of skill points and attributes every time I'm passing by a gardener or talk to an NPC with hard speech checks while they're standing next to their security bot, but didn't have a single perk I REALLY wanted since like level 15. I can compensate for it in combat due to how overpowered the player/party becomes, but for several convos I'm just hosed.

Also I'm disappointed with the story overall, not because I was hoping for a socialist revolution simulator like apparently half the internet, but because the over the top factions undermine any themes the game might have wanted to explore (or could have explored). Whoever compared the plot to Futurama is spot on - the game world isn't there to offer a believable setting for hard decisions and life lessons, it just serves as a backdrop to blow up some stuff for either the comic book villains or the ridiculous freedom fighter faction of the week, and sometimes the game even lets you use the hints and bits of information you find to find bring them together (often it does not, though). It's all presented well and for the first half to two thirds it was still pretty intriguing, until reaching Byzantium I was hoping for an actual twist or some interesting development but the big reveal was just :flaccid: and now I just want to blow up the comically evil Board and get this over with.

Still a good game but I kinda hoped for more. 10/10, darker, sexier, better.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 4, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also, combat being over (too) quickly is very much a function of your gear, you can absolutely walk up to certain enemies with the wrong loadout or low level guns and it automatically takes a lot longer to kill stuff. If you (more importantly, your buddies) have the right gear though, the encounter is over before you even saw all the enemies yourself.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

QoL Features Needed:

Option to disable Chromatic Aberration in Options instead of Ini tweaking.
Option to track multiple quests.
Easier inventory sorting with equipment levels displayed more prominently.
Larger text.
Less exorbitant tinker costs.

Rooting around the game files list a bunch of Byzantium quests not in the final game. Otherwise the total number of quests to find is 69.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 4, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Maybe some way to keep together the various foods, drinks and drugs that do the same thing. And make it possible to add then to a 1-9 hotbar.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Eschenique posted:

Maybe some way to keep together the various foods, drinks and drugs that do the same thing. And make it possible to add then to a 1-9 hotbar.

Leveling up Medicine, or whatever the skill is called, allows you to insert edibles into your Inhaler - and it'll automatically refill with a similar food type when it depletes whatever you actually put into it.

As much as I'd love a "1-9 hotbar" that poo poo is never gonna happen anymore, because consoles :downs:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

AngryGuy posted:

yeah i'm really glad i did not do supernova on my first playthrough like i was considering. i had a suspicion that i was going to have to do a lot of work to keep companions alive to see their content and thought it would be really unfun. when i saw how absolutely horrible they were while actually playing the game, i knew i had made the right decision. it's amazing to me that you could actually keep them alive through a whole game with them in your party the entire time.

i'm not particularly motivated to play the game again but if i do play a supernova game then it will definitely be a lone wolf play.

they were fine against most enemies but instantly got murdered by anything above a space gorilla. you basically have to tell companions to stand in one place and do nothing and exploit the enemy AI by sniping them from a ridge or something, which, they have no idea how to handle. or leave the party members at home.

i thought supernova might make the huge stockpile of food and drink you accumulate matter at all but it doesn't. you have an infinite supply of everything so it just adds one more layer of annoyance. so I just turned the game down to hard and stopped picking things up

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Leveling up Medicine, or whatever the skill is called, allows you to insert edibles into your Inhaler - and it'll automatically refill with a similar food type when it depletes whatever you actually put into it.

As much as I'd love a "1-9 hotbar" that poo poo is never gonna happen anymore, because consoles :downs:

They can let me bind 9 different hotkeys without affecting consoles at all!

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Sab669 posted:

Yes so I have my stimpak I need to use when low on health
My loaf of bread I should eat every 2 minutes
My... I don't know. Can of beer or something that gives +25% max health that I should drink at the start of a fight
My cigarettes for sniping which lasts a few seconds and I should smoke right before raising the scope
And my heroin which makes the bullet do more crit damage and I should take right before making the shot

And the game goes "You can use all these together at the same time or gently caress you. Go dig in the inventory I don't care"

And because each is split into various types I can't be sure how many I have left.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
In retrospect, I am a little annoyed that I had like three inventory screens' worth of loving snacks, all a pain to sort and use, but just three ammo types. I would have strongly preferred all the fancy consumables going into abstract brackets once they enter my inventory and a few more ammo types instead.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

It's like they figured they needed 40 different 3D models for the various food, drinks and drugs they spread out over the world. Because it would look boring otherwise so you also get as many different consumables in the inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Eschenique posted:

Yes so I have my stimpak I need to use when low on health
My loaf of bread I should eat every 2 minutes
My... I don't know. Can of beer or something that gives +25% max health that I should drink at the start of a fight
My cigarettes for sniping which lasts a few seconds and I should smoke right before raising the scope
And my heroin which makes the bullet do more crit damage and I should take right before making the shot

And the game goes "You can use all these together at the same time or gently caress you. Go dig in the inventory I don't care"

And because each is split into various types I can't be sure how many I have left.

The buffs that you get from edibles in the game seem so completely useless that I have never tried to actually use specific ones for specific reasons like you mentioned. Just stuff a handful of junk food in your vape pen and let it auto fill the slots, the only one that actually matters is the adreno because without it your healing item won't actually heal.