Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
ed: fine. birbs it is then. swallow

mehall posted:

Catte tax

v good, give her pets

Bundy posted:

Hey folks, while I was away on holiday I noticed someone that volunteers for a CLP or Momentum I think looking for computer touchers? I can't seem to find it now but I'm a Python dev/SQL DBA if there's something I can help someone with.
go to the form in the post below, pick the 'support' role (other roles also available), sign up to the slack that'll get sent to you and ask around, and finally see if Comrade Fakename will let you into the Goon Chat by PMing them

Comrade Fakename posted:

The plan in Momentum is to focus on marginals, but if you fill out the volunteer form (https://forms.gle/rSApq7hYfYSKzKzg6 you can ask about it in Slack.

Speaking of the Momentum Slack, we should have our own Elite Goon Cru within it. So I’m going to post in the #random channel “We’ve got the Tories on the run!”. Find that post and send me a DM asking me if I have stairs in my house. After 24 hours, I’ll make a group chat of everyone who contacted me.

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

:five:

I've always been confused why it's always weed out of all drugs that is pushed for legalization. Sure, it seems dumb as hell to ban it, and its prohibition is racist and sectarian against Rastafari, and it's a giant waste of money, but in terms of lives saved if I was forced to pick one and only one between legal weed or returning to the British system on cocaine and heroin I'd have to go with the one that doesn't end up with people injecting drywall.

Hell, if I was forced to pick one and only one between legal weed or MDMA being available at Boots and mental health professionals plus cultural elders being able to dispense LSD and psilocybin at their discretion I'd still go with the latter.

I'm still pro legalization overall, and I hope it's the first crack in the dam, it just seems very culturally strange that that's the one drug that we've staked the drug war battleground on.

Definitely release the Nonce Andrew files tho.

It's considerably safer and less addictive than caffiene, alcohol or nicotine, and by far the most commonly-used illegal drug - something like 30% of adults in the UK will have tried it at least once. The arguments for it being illegal hold no water while you can get a bottle of Smirnoff, a six-pack of Red Bull, and 20 B&H at any corner shop in the country. That's why it's at the vanguard of anti-prohibition arguments, because it shows the ridiculousness of prohibition. Even if you're making a harm-reduction argument legalising cannabis makes the most sense just because almost all of the harm it causes is directly as a result of it being illegal., and the sheer scale of its use means that you can make a solid utilitarian argument that if you only get to unban one drug cannabis would be the one to go for.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Steve2911 posted:

Even when I work at home I have trouble keeping my mind on work and end up finding distractions for myself (like browsing UKMT at 9.05am).

Lol if you don't do this at work as well

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rarity posted:

Lol if you don't do this at work as well

Yeah but at least at work I'm moderated by who can see me at any given time.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

CGI Stardust posted:

ed: fine. birbs it is then. swallow

v good, give her pets

go to the form in the post below, pick the 'support' role (other roles also available), sign up to the slack that'll get sent to you and ask around, and finally see if Comrade Fakename will let you into the Goon Chat by PMing them

You quoted the post with her, but was itself a snipe and you didn't pay the tax yourself.

So instead I'll reward the thread with another.

E; you paid birb tax as I hit quote apparently, but I've posted another kitten pic already.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

mehall posted:

E; you paid birb tax as I hit quote apparently, but I've posted another kitten pic already.
oh no! too many pictures of a kitten with tiny little ear tufts and big ol paws! :ohdear:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I never pay the cat tax because I am a thread billionaire

Instead I support the thread creating shitposts which leads to trickle down shitconomics

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Also I am unwell and am sat in bed with a hot water bottle

Someone bring me a toastie

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

I'm starting to think that nobody should ever trust Donald Trump even if they're really sure they can ride the tiger. Even if you're exactly as evil as he is and your goals align, he will betray you sooner or later out of greed, mendacity or just forgetfulness. And The Donald never forgives anyone he's decided to hate, even if he can't remember why. The Donald is always correct, according to The Donald :trumpsmug:

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Seems like a clear case of the BBC violating their own editorial guidelines to me https://www.bbc.com/editorialguidelines/guidelines/impartiality/guidelines

quote:

4.3.12 We should not automatically assume that contributors from other organisations (such as academics, journalists, researchers and representatives of charities and think-tanks) are unbiased. Appropriate information about their affiliations, funding and particular viewpoints should be made available to the audience, when relevant to the context.

but I assume their excuse will be that they put the name of the company on the screen so people can go and find out that they are lobbyists for private water companies and ALEC

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Braggart posted:

I'm starting to think that nobody should ever trust Donald Trump even if they're really sure they can ride the tiger. Even if you're exactly as evil as he is and your goals align, he will betray you sooner or later out of greed, mendacity or just forgetfulness. And The Donald never forgives anyone he's decided to hate, even if he can't remember why. The Donald is always correct, according to The Donald :trumpsmug:

You're only just starting to think that nobody should trust the obviously purely self-interested conman?

Where have you been for the last *checks* ugh four years?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's considerably safer and less addictive than caffiene, alcohol or nicotine, and by far the most commonly-used illegal drug - something like 30% of adults in the UK will have tried it at least once. The arguments for it being illegal hold no water while you can get a bottle of Smirnoff, a six-pack of Red Bull, and 20 B&H at any corner shop in the country. That's why it's at the vanguard of anti-prohibition arguments, because it shows the ridiculousness of prohibition. Even if you're making a harm-reduction argument legalising cannabis makes the most sense just because almost all of the harm it causes is directly as a result of it being illegal., and the sheer scale of its use means that you can make a solid utilitarian argument that if you only get to unban one drug cannabis would be the one to go for.
I think that's in part why I'd be fine with just not making a regulatory structure for it a priority. Like if you just decriminalized it and PCCs said "okay you can grow up to four plants and smoke in public as long as you're not being a dick" like they've done in Derbyshire and Durham then that would work fine for weed because of how safe it is, whereas I wouldn't be nearly on board with "everyone gets to make their own MDMA idk we'll just ignore it" because that can go pretty badly wrong, and that's the sort of thing that would benefit from a regulatory structure.

If it's the start of the dam breaking on prohibition I'll go along with it though, and it does at least remove the "we smelled cannabis so we had to aggressively stop and search this person" excuse.

Ratjaculation posted:

Also I am unwell and am sat in bed with a hot water bottle

Someone bring me a toastie
What toastie do you want?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

"Flexible working" in my experience is "you are expected to work whenever we tell you to"

my wife's work has something called Core Hours where all important meetings etc are scheduled between 12:00 and 15:00 on specific days where everyone has to be around, but you can work from wherever you want other than that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Borrovan posted:

I like having flexible working hours, because it means that as long as my work keeps getting done & I turn up at the office every once in a while & answer my phone & emails nobody really cares if I feel like sleeping in some days or piss off to run errands or hit the gym in the middle of the day. It's great for parents & the disabled too.

Trouble is that when people say "flexible working hours" these days they generally mean flexible demands, imposed upon the worker by the boss at their absolute discretion with no realistic way to refuse. We seriously need some more modernised workers' rights right loving now, before the notion of "flexible hours" becomes so poisoned that people are actually fighting to have to go sit in an office all day (why would you want this!) and all those that can't for whatever reason get left behind.

Also before people start insisting I have to actually go to work every day because gently caress that, frankly

For me I think this has already happened. I do have my own office room though. I fear if I didn't go to work and worked from home*, I'd become a total recluse.

* = not really doable in my case, lots of stuff requires hands on action.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Thank you for your comforting pablum, you pencil-wielding hero :allears:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

:five:

I've always been confused why it's always weed out of all drugs that is pushed for legalization. Sure, it seems dumb as hell to ban it, and its prohibition is racist and sectarian against Rastafari, and it's a giant waste of money, but in terms of lives saved if I was forced to pick one and only one between legal weed or returning to the British system on cocaine and heroin I'd have to go with the one that doesn't end up with people injecting drywall.

Hell, if I was forced to pick one and only one between legal weed or MDMA being available at Boots and mental health professionals plus cultural elders being able to dispense LSD and psilocybin at their discretion I'd still go with the latter.

I'm still pro legalization overall, and I hope it's the first crack in the dam, it just seems very culturally strange that that's the one drug that we've staked the drug war battleground on.

Definitely release the Nonce Andrew files tho.

I've always been for a blanket legalisation of it all, even on drug policy I am against reformism. :smuggo:

Safer for end users getting stuff made by the state or whatever rather than dodgy gangs cutting your smack with anthrax (thing that happened in Glasgow a decade ago, there were several deaths) or other poo poo you don't want to inject into your veins or shove up your nose. Reduce prison numbers, reduce revenue source for violent gangs terrorising places like Mexico and El Salvador and Colombia. Create a revenue source for farmers in often poor countries.

Drug policy is generally the worst kind of populism.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

You're only just starting to think that nobody should trust the obviously purely self-interested conman?

Where have you been for the last *checks* ugh four years?

:thejoke:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think Labours drug policy hasnt come to the forefront for 2 reasons;

1. The urgent crises of the climate and austerity which are demanding immediate attention
2. Authoritarian holdovers in the PLP who would oppose such a move and Corbyn doesn't want to kick the hornets nest

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The trick with working from home is to do all the work you need to do for that day on the day before, so you can then just play BF5 all day in your pants.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

What toastie do you want?

I bought some pretty good coconut cheese from the market the other day, I'm intrigued to see how well it toastiefies. Maybe some mushrooms and toms in there too.

I'll unlock the door, thank you hero

Aphex- posted:

The trick with working from home is to do all the work you need to do for that day on the day before, so you can then just play BF5 all day in your pants.

I haven't played a battlefield since bad company 2, are they still good or are they all super speedy nukes and poo poo like call of duty?

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 4, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Totally off topic, a company is loving with some comrades of mine & it's become apparent that they're committing a criminal offence under the Companies Act - does anyone know who the appropriate public authority to shop them to is? Guessing the pigs wouldn't gaf

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Totally off topic, a company is loving with some comrades of mine & it's become apparent that they're committing a criminal offence under the Companies Act - does anyone know who the appropriate public authority to shop them to is? Guessing the pigs wouldn't gaf

Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 03454 04 05 06

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Borrovan posted:

Do they have an industry regulator? That would be the first place I'd look.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Got official confirmation this morning that we enter purdah on Wednesday.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Braggart posted:

The Donald is always correct, according to The Donald :trumpsmug:

The now suicide-bombed-by-corporate-management site Deadspin had the absolute best writer about Donald Trump, and he had an article on this very subject over Trump editing a hurricane map.

Some highlights:

quote:

It can be difficult to remember given that he routinely appears on television with toilet paper on the soles of both his shoes and at least one of his hands stuck in a big jug of peanut butter, but Donald Trump’s opening position in all things is that he has never been wrong. He has been wronged, and is in fact wronged constantly—by terrible nasty TV actresses and fake cable news anchors and the other antagonists he’s collected over a lifetime of nonstop blowsy public feuding. But that is just the price he pays for always being right and never being afraid to speak out on whatever he has just seen on television. He carries that weight lightly, give or take the fact that he whines about it constantly.

A jarring number of professional political analyst types still persist in seeing some sort of strategy in this, which is both their job and self-evidently ridiculous. There is no deft feinting or tactical distraction involved when Trump returns from a trip abroad and says something like “no one ever knew that there even was such a thing as France, but that’s something that I’ve been seeing and we’re going to look into it.” He is not constructing a Reality Distortion Field or subtly signaling to his base. He just forgot there was a France and therefore just assumed there wasn’t one.

On Wednesday, days after Dorian had flattened wide stretches of the Bahamas, veered back out to sea, and then turned back towards the Carolinas, Trump invited the assembled media into the Oval Office, to show them a map of the storm’s course that a staffer had printed and matted for him. The image is obviously different from the one that the White House showed the public last week from a similar President Trump Points At A Map And Says “We’re Seeing It And It’s Unbelievable” press availability, most notably because someone, it’s hard to say who it might be, just kind of used a Sharpie to draw a second, poignantly misplaced testicle onto the phalloid shape of Dorian’s ultraviolent progress. In doing this, Trump or someone else who is also quite obviously Donald Trump simply corrected the National Hurricane Center’s forecast, which called for the hurricane’s track to pass hundreds of miles east of the Alabama border so that it more closely comported with his Executive Forecast.

full article

Anything by David Roth on Trump (usually filed under the tag The Big Wet President) is comedy gold.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

jabby posted:

It's really quite amazing that the Telegraph is still taken so seriously when it has a piddling readership of 385,000.

Compare that to the 2.5 million who watched Labour's first campaign video on Twitter alone, within the first 24 hours.

So that's...

Drags in adding machine

...£1.69 per reader per year just for Matt.

Worth it :pervert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/BigPaulieDoyle/status/1190995516424904705

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Companies House should be holding businesses to account for that, but the more people you can rope in the more likely it is someone will do something.

Braggart posted:

So that's...

Drags in adding machine

...£1.69 per reader per year just for Matt.

Worth it :pervert:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Borrovan posted:

If you don't get a better answer, I'd get in touch with the CAB.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

His drawing isn't terrible but it's also just completely devoid of any imagination, insight or character.

Fake edit ^ Yeah, sterile is a good word for it.

Just when you compare his art etc. to somebody like John Cullen:

https://twitter.com/nellucnhoj/status/1061623788960473089?s=20

Or his imagination, character and wit to somebody like, well, Azza Bamboo, it's utterly flabbergasting that he makes as much as he does.

False advertising - where is the 'everything' I was promised?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

No industry regulator & it's not a consumer issue, they're just shitlord capitalists trying to hide behind a convoluted business structure so their workers don't sue them for flagrantly illegal conduct. Luckily hiding the information about their legal personality is itself a crime, so we're gonna shop them for that & all.

I'll try Companies House, & failing that the pigs. Cheers all

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

I'm so glad we've hired you for the UKMT, and are paying you in exposure to the UKMT.

Actually, can you sue us for exposing you to that kind of pathogen? I would.

Edit: Oh wait I mean:

Check out this rear end in a top hat!

Braggart fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 4, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just a reminder to our lurkers in this most volatile of times. We post low content posts like this all the time and you mustn't worry that you aren't contributing anyway.

:justpost:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's considerably safer and less addictive than caffiene, alcohol or nicotine

Depending on the age of the consumer, nicotine is probably the most benign thing in that list. On its own nicotine withdrawal/craving isn't that severe, it's everything else in cigarettes that fucks you up and other compounds added to deliberately enhance addiction, plus the rituals involved with long term smoking. That's why a lot of NRT methods fail and why vaping has shown to be the best quitting aid as far as cigs go (also why a lot of people don't stop vaping, myself included).

Regarding the business rates thing, as someone that tried to open an Internet/gaming cafe 15 years ago, it was very much the business rates that killed the attempt early and I can't imagine them being any lower since then. It's not the only thing Labour have identified as an issue but I trust they're a factor.

The high Street should be somewhere people want to go instead of us permanently retreating to our lovely brick boxes and small businesses that own their means of production should be given every chance imo. (And kick their loving arseholes in if they start exploiting workers).

CGI Stardust posted:

Thank you! :D

e: I've filled that form out, Comrade Fakename does not have Plat so have pinged them on Discord.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 4, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

Just a reminder to our lurkers in this most volatile of times. We post low content posts like this all the time and you mustn't worry that you aren't contributing anyway.

:justpost:

I can guarantee to our lurkers that your contributions will have more value than Tess's

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
apparently the BBC just said labour shouldn't politicise the NHS just now based on the number of tweets i'm seeing commenting on it

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Decriminalise weed but only if they work on strains that don't stint sonething awful. It'd be less offensive if my weed smoking neighbours took a poo poo on my doorstep.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jose posted:

apparently the BBC just said labour shouldn't politicise the NHS just now based on the number of tweets i'm seeing commenting on it

Jesus loving christ if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It reminds me of a discussion yeats ago in the Ctrl-Alt-Del thread years ago - someone posted a CAD comic with the text removed and asked if you could guess what the characters were doing, and then did the same with a few others like Penny Arcade, PvP and VGCats.

At least with VGCats and PA, the characters facial expressions and poses expressed what they were saying, but with CAD you had no idea because it was all expressionless poo poo. The same thing is happening here. There's nothing interesting or visually unique going on.

Very good :golfclap:

Also comparing any of them to Yeats is bold, but appropriate.

The best simple political cartoon produced by anyone in yeats, IMO.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 4, 2019