Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Make a sturdy stair structure with a storage closet underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
guessing that house isn't in an earthquake zone :)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Correct, no earthquakes worth a poo poo in Wisconsin. Just have to account for snow load and frost heave. If we got a legit earthquake so much more poo poo would be hosed.

Anyhow, I am not interested in making a little shed out of it, just looking for structural advice.

I originally wanted to run steps down the left side of deck- run along house, take a turn towards yard halfway down to help keep it tucked away.

I discovered a tree was there, there's a large stump right where the posts for that would have to be, which is just left of the AC. That plan would have kind of covered that up nicely, but seems like a no-go. This 100% would have required 4 posts for the platform.

falz fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 3, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Specific structural advice is one of those things that I don't think we're equipped to handle as an internet forum. It's one of those combinations of highly situational, requires a qualification, and is deadly if we get it wrong. We can give general suggestions (which have been given) but unfortunately it's on you from here either to engineer it yourself or hire a structural engineer.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 3, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Strictly speaking as a structural engineer, to get down you need a zipline right there, and it should start from much higher up

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Basically that - you need a structural engineer to do the calculations and the advice is going to be specific to your area.

Generally speaking, what you should expect to need to be done is the creation of a section of foundation in the area where you want to place the stairs, as all of the posts that hold the stairs up need to be on something solid.

In California, since it's a seismic zone, that foundation creation would be difficult, as you would need to make sure it's completely connected with your existing foundation using a bunch of bolts, and you would likely need to retrofit the supports of your deck using bolts as well. Then you'd need to confirm sufficient sheer wall strength to support that in an earthquake. But you're not in California.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Thanks. The posts will be set in/on concrete 4' deep (instead of a cement pad) which is standard for our area. I'll check with some local building dudes and or maybe hire a dude.

Or ya know cheap out, hop on it a few times and if it feels wobbly, add more posts!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just stack pallets the the appropriate height, maybe add some nails for stability.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fireman's pole or a slide would be a quicker install, op.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My house has old wood windows that each part, top and bottom, have 6 separate panes of glass with wood grilles between them. Like this:

Is there any way to convert each half of the window to one large pane of glass? I realize in the past it probably made more sense to have individual pieces so that when one got damaged you could swap it out with less waste. However, that's not really a concern of mine. From an initial inspection, it looks like I might just be able to pop out the grilles to convert them.

My reasons for wanting to do this are two. First, all the windows need reglazing and I would love to cut my workload down to a 1/6 of what it currently is. Second, the glass is really old and cloudy from being sandblasted over decades. The windows need all new glass anyway and once again, I would like to cut my workload down on that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't see why not. FYI that type of window is called a "sash" window, so that might help with googling. Converting them to double-glazing is a common thing round here.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

My house has old wood windows that each part, top and bottom, have 6 separate panes of glass with wood grilles between them. Like this:

Is there any way to convert each half of the window to one large pane of glass? I realize in the past it probably made more sense to have individual pieces so that when one got damaged you could swap it out with less waste. However, that's not really a concern of mine. From an initial inspection, it looks like I might just be able to pop out the grilles to convert them.

My reasons for wanting to do this are two. First, all the windows need reglazing and I would love to cut my workload down to a 1/6 of what it currently is. Second, the glass is really old and cloudy from being sandblasted over decades. The windows need all new glass anyway and once again, I would like to cut my workload down on that.

Yeah they make double glazed windows which have the decorative elements inside making it 2 easy to clean sheets of glass per section.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Legitimately, why not just replace the entire window?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ntan1 posted:

Legitimately, why not just replace the entire window?

New windows are expensive. New glass is not.

Thanks for the help everyone! There's a shop nearby that sells old windows from demos so I'm going to pick one up and try a refit on it first.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

New windows would have the added benefit of double pane with gas to help insulate and whatnot. Unsure what if anything a single pane will really do. but yeah, not cheap.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SpartanIvy posted:

It's gonna be a whole lot easier, better, and stronger to just reglaze 12 panes of glass than it is going to be to cut apart and rebuild that window. The muntins and mullions (the skinny vertical and horizontal parts) are what holds the outside frame reasonably straight and square etc, and removing them is going to make the window weaker and probably out of whack. New window/new-to-you old window is probably going to be the next best bet, but installing a new window is kind of pain too.

Terminology-wise, windows are referred to as X over X where X is the number of panes of glass in the top/bottom frames. You have six over six windows and you want one over one. Might help you in searching for a new old window.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

People pay money for rattley old windows like that. Talk to that warehouse place about a swap???

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just finished putting down the third coat of poly on my floors and even though I was wearing a respirator I'm fairly sure my IQ has dropped 10 points this weekend from the fumes. There were a lot of bubbles left over from the second coat that I don't know how I could have prevented. Oh well. It's done.

Had to get two more gallons of poly so final cost is gonna end up being ~$650.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have just bought a new house which is great and I love it but it's very different from anywhere I've lived before and I will need advice. It's newly built so we are making a snag list, nothing serious so far. The place is mostly built out of wood and a lot of the interior is unfinished or minimally treated wood.

I think this is OK and it's very nice in lots of places e.g. (sorry for weird / lovely phots I was taking pics of all the lamp fitting spots)

but it's also unfinished in the bathroom which is making me uneasy:

Pretty sure back in the UK there basically would be no exposed wood in the bathroom, and if any it would be varnished to gently caress. But this is not the UK and I don't know if this is normal. It's up in the mountains so the air is going to be quite dry. Is this OK?? I want to put at least some wax on the bathroom wood.

Most annoying thing so far is that some of the shutters don't quite close I guess because the wood has changed shape a little after they were installed. Also there are no light fittingsinstalled which is I guess normal but even the outdoor ones are just unfinished sockets and making me a little nervous.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The wood in the bathroom might already be treated; can you contact the builders and ask?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah we definitely can but I guess I'd like to have an idea of what would be the normal way to do it in advance.

The building is under warranty and they seem keen to get stuff right so I think we should be able to get stuff fixed. If it's more of a personal preference then that would be up to us to sort.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The view from that window is incredible.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm a little more worried about the light in the bathroom that doesn't appear to have any sort of enclosure

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Just finished putting down the third coat of poly on my floors and even though I was wearing a respirator I'm fairly sure my IQ has dropped 10 points this weekend from the fumes.

Were you using water-based or VOC?

couldcareless posted:

I'm a little more worried about the light in the bathroom that doesn't appear to have any sort of enclosure

Loose wires are IP44, right?

I'm sure knox will get to it..

knox_harrington posted:

Also there are no light fittingsinstalled which is I guess normal but even the outdoor ones are just unfinished sockets and making me a little nervous.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Were you using water-based or VOC?

450 VOCs babyyy https://www.homedepot.com/p/Varathane-1-gal-Clear-Satin-Oil-Based-Floor-Finish-Polyurethane-130231/100192334

yeah my eyes are still kinda burning

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

QuarkJets posted:

The wood in the bathroom might already be treated; can you contact the builders and ask?

Put a few drops of water on it. If it beads, it's treated. If it soaks in, it's untreated.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Put a few drops of water on it. If it beads, it's treated. If it soaks in, it's untreated.

So, just pee on it?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TTerrible posted:

The view from that window is incredible.

I know right

DrBouvenstein posted:

Awesome. Will do. Does it need to be treated?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:o

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

falz posted:

New windows would have the added benefit of double pane with gas to help insulate and whatnot. Unsure what if anything a single pane will really do. but yeah, not cheap.

Adding another pane will actually do quite a lot.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm not disagreeing they're not better in every way, but you're never going to recoup the cost of the windows in energy savings. Its a nice to have if you have to replace them, but it's still more practical to stick with whatever windows you've got.

Does anyone know where I would go to find someone or a company that would cut all the panes of glass I would need. Cutting 156 small panes sounds almost as bad as having to reglaze them all.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 4, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Does anyone know where I would go to find someone or a company that would cut all the panes of glass I would need. Cutting 156 small panes sounds almost as bad as having to reglaze them all.

I just googled a local glass company and asked for the float glass I needed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

knox_harrington posted:

For a bathroom? Absolutely. The exception might be if it was cedar, since it's naturally rot-resistant, but in the picture you supplied it really doesn't look like cedar.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm not disagreeing they're not better in every way, but you're never going to recoup the cost of the windows in energy savings. Its a nice to have if you have to replace them, but it's still more practical to stick with whatever windows you've got.

Any hardware store or glass company. They will also probably happily reglaze it for you, possibly for not all that much more money.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

If I'm interested in determining whether replacing my windows is worth it or not, how would I go about doing that?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

If I'm interested in determining whether replacing my windows is worth it or not, how would I go about doing that?

Worth it in what sense? Purely financially? It's not. You won't recoup the costs through fuel savings or increased house price.

So really it's about your comfort and aesthetics. Newer windows have better sound dampening, draught prevention, and heat insulation, so they make for a more comfortable house.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My comfort is worth $$$ and yours should be, too.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

falz posted:

Correct, no earthquakes worth a poo poo in Wisconsin. Just have to account for snow load and frost heave. If we got a legit earthquake so much more poo poo would be hosed.

Anyhow, I am not interested in making a little shed out of it, just looking for structural advice.

I originally wanted to run steps down the left side of deck- run along house, take a turn towards yard halfway down to help keep it tucked away.

I discovered a tree was there, there's a large stump right where the posts for that would have to be, which is just left of the AC. That plan would have kind of covered that up nicely, but seems like a no-go. This 100% would have required 4 posts for the platform.

I think the 2nd option is way better aesthetically. If you have a small area blocked by a tree stump, maybe build a bigger landing? Or another small deck? Or grind the stump? The first set of stairs landing on a weird 2nd level slope is just... weird.

Holy poo poo. Do you live in the Swiss Alps? :aaaaa:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Jaded Burnout posted:

Worth it in what sense? Purely financially? It's not. You won't recoup the costs through fuel savings or increased house price.

Purely financially it could be if your windows are very clearly out-dated and you expect that would lower the value of your house when you sell it. Or if the wall is damaged enough that not-replacing it would be a longer term problem.

An acceptable basic window costs minimum $300-400, not including labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

knox_harrington posted:

I know right

Gorgeous view, where is it? Do you have a wood stove?

RRRIIIICOOOOOLLLLLLLAAAAAA!

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 5, 2019