Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

BernieTheBolshevik posted:

Trump won because he promised jobs to people that had been totally forgotten and betrayed for 4 decades.

"Keep government out"

"We feel left behind"

every one of them can eat my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BernieTheBolshevik
Oct 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bollig posted:

"Keep government out"

"We feel left behind"

Perhaps they were smart enough to know that under capitalism, the government is but a committee for managing the common affairs of the entire bourgeoisie? :shrug:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Perhaps they were smart enough to know that under capitalism, the government is but a committee for managing the common affairs of the entire bourgeoisie? :shrug:

:shuckyes:

Serf
May 5, 2011

i often see people from just about every background talk about "the government" as a separate entity from themselves, counter to what you're taught in school. but they're absolutely right, just for the wrong reasons. the state as it currently exists is designed to cater to the needs and desires of the bourgeoisie, and i think on some level people realize that but because we've had decades of education rejecting class analysis people resort to flawed reasoning to get there

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

To an extent, maybe. In practice, they just want the government to hurt other people who aren’t like them and codify the Bible in whatever way is most convenient for them and inconvenient for others.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Happy Monday!

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1190524218997452801?s=20

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
they will line up to vote for mitch mconnell and kiss his puckered old anal ring.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Trump's political strength is that he's unfiltered which gives such a strong sense of genuineness that being a pathological liar hasn't put a dent in it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Grape posted:

Unlike the robust leftist New York Times Oped take of economic anxiety

Oped and Anthoned

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Trump gave people what they wanted a guy who was just racist and proud of it. No more pretending no more codes just in your face about it.

anything else was more coincidental and had little to do with Trump himself

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Trazz posted:

And, y'know, got help to cheat
yes, but it takes two to fascist: a fascist party and a limp, unresponsive opposition. it can't be forgotten that yeah, people will choose fascism if they have no other options. the dems didn't look like an attractive enough option and that is 100% their fault.
there are, of course, lots and lots of factors out there. But, at the end of the day, if democrats were actually promising to make people's lives better instead of a slower decline with brighter stickers, they would have fared much better.
we've had politics in this country for well over 40 years now, this shouldn't be some mystery covered in secret sauce. be louder, be flashier, tell people what you're gonna do for them and point to what you have done.
trump flew in promising free healthcare for everyone and wealth and prosperity while Hillary...i don't remember.
don't understate just how much the democrats got lazy and got rolled and just how much they've forgotten to actually help people instead of leaning on a wall and smugly asking "what're you gonna do: destroy the entire country because you don't actually believe it benefits you?"

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bollig posted:

"Keep government out"

"We feel left behind"

They have massively disproportionate electoral power in our system and still couldn't rig things in their dumbass favor because welfare queens and illegals are the Real Problems lmao

Donald Trump tore off the veil exposing that American culture and society is bad to the core and the best possible future is balkanization so that the good parts of America may one again wage war upon the irredeemable racists and fascists and finish the noble task of Reconstruction but this time from coast to coast

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

InsertPotPun posted:

yes, but it takes two to fascist: a fascist party and a limp, unresponsive opposition. it can't be forgotten that yeah, people will choose fascism if they have no other options. the dems didn't look like an attractive enough option and that is 100% their fault.
there are, of course, lots and lots of factors out there. But, at the end of the day, if democrats were actually promising to make people's lives better instead of a slower decline with brighter stickers, they would have fared much better.
we've had politics in this country for well over 40 years now, this shouldn't be some mystery covered in secret sauce. be louder, be flashier, tell people what you're gonna do for them and point to what you have done.
trump flew in promising free healthcare for everyone and wealth and prosperity while Hillary...i don't remember.
don't understate just how much the democrats got lazy and got rolled and just how much they've forgotten to actually help people instead of leaning on a wall and smugly asking "what're you gonna do: destroy the entire country because you don't actually believe it benefits you?"

hey now be fair, the Dems are very dedicated to helping and engaging people, it's just that the people they focus all their time and energy on isn't their actual base

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to be even more fair, the rural shitheads are entirely correct that the democrats have been extremely set on loving them over at every point, and the idea that they are voting against their interests is a laughable implication that they have the option to vote *for* their interests.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Trump's political strength is that he's unfiltered which gives such a strong sense of genuineness that being a pathological liar hasn't put a dent in it.

Conservatives wanted a loudmouth who woofs out the same bluster they hear on fox news, and Trump's speeches are basically him parroting right wing comments section material.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I did enjoy how the post-11/9 media started to do analysis into the Obama -> Trump voters but then immediately stopped doing it because everything they heard was stuff they'd never in a million years be allowed to run with, like the Third Way Safari writ large.

Instead they're just interviewing the same 7 figure county Republican party leadership small business owners/chamber of commerce members over and over and pretending that they're the hard scrabble laboring class who years for grim austerity and infinite corporate rule. If not them, then they make sure their "portrait of the American working class" are retirees who hang out in diners all day who haven't had to hunt for a job since Nixon was President and who watch 16 hours a day of right wing agitprop.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the thing i am looking forward to the most about the 2020 election is that, regardless of the outcome, people will finally stop re-litigating the 2016 election.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the thing i am looking forward to the most about the 2020 election is that, regardless of the outcome, people will finally stop re-litigating the 2016 election.

haha

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trump has a deep personal connection with republicans because he watches fox news 16 hours a day just like them. have mitt and jeb! ever even seen The Five?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Trump's political strength is that he's unfiltered

like that water

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Trump gave people what they wanted a guy who was just racist and proud of it. No more pretending no more codes just in your face about it.

anything else was more coincidental and had little to do with Trump himself

there've been way more overt racists in the GOP and they largely went over like a wet fart; the height of the vaunted :decorum: era when conservatives supposedly bothered with "codes" was when Pat loving Buchanan was a recurring primary candidate. The only novelty Trump brought to the game was a willingness to be rude to celebrities, which the base loving loved and liberals find unspeakable.

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 20:26 on Nov 4, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think it's also a little bit to do with the fame, celebrity, wealth, talk radio's influence and something along the lines of a WWE storyline or a Springer episode where where normally people who find politics boring get to cheer for the face and the heel and go "ooooooo" when someone makes an insulting burn.

They're like "gently caress yeah, he's what Washington needs!" and they know he's the good guy cause he hugs the flag and poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

I think it's also a little bit to do with the fame, celebrity, wealth, talk radio's influence and something along the lines of a WWE storyline or a Springer episode where where normally people who find politics boring get to cheer for the face and the heel and go "ooooooo" when someone makes an insulting burn.

They're like "gently caress yeah, he's what Washington needs!" and they know he's the good guy cause he hugs the flag and poo poo.

oh yeah and he fills the "need" of a president who is "good at business" which they've rubbed themselves raw over the past 20 years

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zeno-25 posted:

They have massively disproportionate electoral power in our system and still couldn't rig things in their dumbass favor because welfare queens and illegals are the Real Problems lmao

Donald Trump tore off the veil exposing that American culture and society is bad to the core and the best possible future is balkanization so that the good parts of America may one again wage war upon the irredeemable racists and fascists and finish the noble task of Reconstruction but this time from coast to coast
donald trump is doing more to destroy america's toxic society and influence on the world than the left could ever hope to do

the left should absolutely get on board the notion of being crude, boisterous, and nasty to their enemies. god knows they (the conservatives, the democratic party establishment, the corporate sector) deserve it

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

trump has a deep personal connection with republicans because he watches fox news 16 hours a day just like them. have mitt and jeb! ever even seen The Five?

This is basically it. He's not pandering, he's an authentic brainwormed racist conspiracy monger. He's the only big time candidate to actually be a genuine member of the R base, except Palin, and she was only VP. Still, she gave them a taste of one of their own on the main stage and now a big chunk know how to spot the fakes and they're never willingly going back to the Jeb!s or the paul ryans.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Serf posted:

i often see people from just about every background talk about "the government" as a separate entity from themselves, counter to what you're taught in school. but they're absolutely right, just for the wrong reasons. the state as it currently exists is designed to cater to the needs and desires of the bourgeoisie, and i think on some level people realize that but because we've had decades of education rejecting class analysis people resort to flawed reasoning to get there

so long as "the government" still exists as a bureaucratic institution staffed by its own professional class it is always going to be a separate entity from yourself, but this is a very entertaining attempt to wrap your head around the esoteric take that the DMV lady doesn't actually care about you

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah, just like after nixon won everyone stopped relitigating the vietnam war, and those cultural divisions never effected their politics again

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Doc Hawkins posted:

yeah, just like after nixon won everyone stopped relitigating the vietnam war, and those cultural divisions never effected their politics again

at the same time, i can't recall the last time anybody seriously made noise about the outcome of the 2000 election to any significant extent. i'm not saying people will forget about it or that the underlying issues will disappear; i just look forward to a whole new batch of conspiracy theories related to the outcome of 2020 sucking all of the oxygen out of the room.

Serf
May 5, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

so long as "the government" still exists as a bureaucratic institution staffed by its own professional class it is always going to be a separate entity from yourself, but this is a very entertaining attempt to wrap your head around the esoteric take that the DMV lady doesn't actually care about you

i know the dmv lady and she's very nice actually

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Serf posted:

my DMV is actually quick and friendly enough yeah

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Serf posted:

I'm sure she is but she's got a job to do and if she's your personal fairy godmother that's more of a side hobby

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
knowing the dmv lady is rural privilege

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the dmv is alright, it's slow but i can ascribe that to a lack of resources combined with an admittedly excessive reliance on doing things in person when you should just be able to do vehicle registration online. the people i see there are doing their best with the resources they have so i can cut them slack for being curt or whatever. would rather they be real about it instead of put on some utterly fake cheery mood that no one seriously believes

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

fits my needs posted:

knowing the dmv lady is rural privilege

yeah. every one of the 99 counties in iowa has at least one of it's own DMVs. id just show up over lunch, we'd greet each other by name, and be out in about 2 minutes. it is also where i went to pay my property taxes because owning property is another rural privilege

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm sure she is but she's got a job to do and if she's your personal fairy godmother that's more of a side hobby

weird post but okay

all i'm saying is that the government is supposed to be run by the people, and folks can recognize that it ain't. just largely for the wrong reasons

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I thought this was a lil more self-explanatory but this isn't a Seinfeldian "the DMV is slow" bit, it's recognition that "the DMV is a group of people with their own hierarchy, work culture, and a desire to keep their jobs whether or not it is convenient for you personally" thing. The DMV is fine but the DMV is not you nor is it your friend nor are these reasonable things to tell people you expect of a government agency.

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Nov 4, 2019

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
it's almost like decades of "the government" doing nothing but losing wars on the other side of the globe and refusing to pass policy to help its citizens regardless of which party is in power may have had some effect on depressing voter turnout

like, the past two elections, the winner ran on "change" and won because people just recognize that something in washington is hosed up, even if they don't realize that it's essentially the fact that both parties are serving the same corporate interests at the expense of the majority of voters. "drain the swamp" is just a more concrete and vulgar expression of the same "hope and change" message

Serf
May 5, 2011

I thought this was a lil more self-explanatory but this isn't a Seinfeldian "the DMV is slow" bit, it's recognition that "the DMV is a group of people with their own hierarchy, work culture, and a desire to keep their jobs whether or not it is convenient for you personally" thing. The DMV is fine but the DMV is not you nor is it your friend nor are these reasonable things to tell people you expect of a government agency.

not sure where we disagree about the current system then

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

One More Fat Nerd posted:

This is basically it. He's not pandering, he's an authentic brainwormed racist conspiracy monger. He's the only big time candidate to actually be a genuine member of the R base, except Palin, and she was only VP. Still, she gave them a taste of one of their own on the main stage and now a big chunk know how to spot the fakes and they're never willingly going back to the Jeb!s or the paul ryans.

A smart move for an R candidate in 2024 would be to wear a blue lives matter pin on their suit lapel. Bonus points for putting the Punisher logo on their bus.

By '28 or '32 the ideal candidate will be a dude with shaved head, goatee, Oakleys, and an oversized Fox Racing hoodie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eat This Glob posted:

yeah. every one of the 99 counties in iowa has at least one of it's own DMVs. id just show up over lunch, we'd greet each other by name, and be out in about 2 minutes. it is also where i went to pay my property taxes because owning property is another rural privilege

Do it online