Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In other news, I could swear I posted about it here when he was forced out, but the extremely unlikely Republican candidate for Troy mayor is back in the race. This whole story is completely weird, and might contain some much-needed fallout for our piece of poo poo county executive, McLaughlin.

LOL, the Times Union got the tape.

Too bad we're stuck with McLaughlin for two more years, up for reelection in 2021 I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Hey why is Cuomo not signing a lot of stuff?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Grondoth posted:

A combination of "he sucks and wants to kill some progressive legislation that his donors hate" and "the things he eventually WILL sign, he'll sign around the end of the year so that it's super-distanced from the Legislature getting credit and he reaps all the glory."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

anyone sorted out the five proposals up for nyc vote tomorrow? I was thinking 1-yes 2-yes 3-yes by I’m not sure about the last two. I postponed reading up on it and now I have a crazy work day.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Snowy posted:

anyone sorted out the five proposals up for nyc vote tomorrow? I was thinking 1-yes 2-yes 3-yes by I’m not sure about the last two. I postponed reading up on it and now I have a crazy work day.

Yeah, I think the goon consensus was YES on 1, 2, and 3, and NO on 4 and 5.

4's too vaguely-written and could be easily abused, and while 5 is a nice idea, giving development delay power to Community Boards, in reality most community boards are absolute poo poo and it would just be used to stall bike lanes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

4's too vaguely-written and could be easily abused, and while 5 is a nice idea, giving development delay power to Community Boards, in reality most community boards are absolute poo poo and it would just be used to stall bike lanes.

awesome thank you :respek:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Thanks for this.

Katz can go gently caress herself, I'm abstaining there.

E: probably writing in Caban.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

one thing to keep in mind is that community boards have no power whatsoever to stop any kind of development in their districts. they regularly vote to say to not build something all the time, but it's regularly overruled by city council anyway, especially when it's rezoning or a giant gently caress-off building with the bare minimum amount of "affordable" units. so vote whatever the hell you want to for ballot measure 5, who gives a poo poo

Grondoth posted:

he's been signing at least a couple per day, and this is fairly standard post-legislative session procedure anyway. that being said, i'd like a list of prominent stuff that hasn't been signed into law yet. there was a list of five in C&S but it was neither exhaustive nor had anything that seemed particularly hot-button

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/brigidbergin/status/1191433223659765760?s=20

it's pretty shocking to me how much the police turning their backs on de blasio one time turned him into such a wuss

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

it's pretty shocking to me how much the police turning their backs on de blasio one time turned him into such a wuss

For all we know they could have reenacted that scene from Fight Club ("we guard you while you sleep").

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

i swear, the only thing that makes NYC media class parasites horny are snubs on BdB. they're going to be writing articles and tweets about this for the next week. can't wait for them to hang on to every single one Corey Johnson's worthless gestures when the mayoral primary is in full swing

the best thing he did was how he handled the NYPD's quasi-strike in his first year as mayor. he stared them down and they blinked first. it was also the turning point of his mayoral tenure because he hasn't done anything that bold and necessary since

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Nov 5, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

i swear, the only thing that makes NYC media class parasites horny are snubs on BdB. they're going to be writing articles and tweets about this for the next week. can't wait for them to hang on to every single one Corey Johnson's worthless gestures when the mayoral primary is in full swing

the best thing he did was how he handled the NYPD's quasi-strike in his first year as mayor. he stared them down and they blinked first. it was also the turning point of his mayoral tenure because he hasn't done anything that bold and necessary since

they should write about it, it's embarrassing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

wrote in Caban this morning

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

double posted;

guess I’ll also wonder aloud: why the new sanning of barcode card and iPad checkin? it took forever and just seemed like it would deter someone from voting, being asked for a card. I know it’s not necessary, but that isn’t really made clear when you get it in the mail

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Nov 5, 2019

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the scanning thing is because the ballots are printed on demand. did the main day today have different tables for ED/AD? early voting just had two stations so all of the ballot books didn’t have to be piled on one or two tables

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i voted Friday, and i had no elections outside of judgeships, public advocate, and the ballot measures (voted "yes" on all of them but as i mentioned, the fifth one is effectively toothless)

Badger of Basra posted:

they should write about it, it's embarrassing
the problem is that they have absolutely no restraint regarding the mayor to the point where i just tune it all out. they've written like 500 articles about ThriveNYC corruption and barely anything about the governor's similar corruption on a much larger scale

i know i'm sounding like a broken record about this topic ITT, but it really is grating to be surrounded by this poo poo every single day

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm not liking the early returns as reported in the Times Union. They keep saying Troy is this Democratic stronghold, but with almost half of precincts reporting on the city-wide races it seems like race-baiting DWI road rager is getting another term as Council President, and Madden may actually be deposed, to be replaced by the person that fucker McLaughlin wanted to win. The rest of the council doesn't look too good, either. Bah, I'm going to bed.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not liking the early returns as reported in the Times Union. They keep saying Troy is this Democratic stronghold, but with almost half of precincts reporting on the city-wide races it seems like race-baiting DWI road rager is getting another term as Council President, and Madden may actually be deposed, to be replaced by the person that fucker McLaughlin wanted to win. The rest of the council doesn't look too good, either. Bah, I'm going to bed.

Madden won but Reale quite obviously acted as a spoiler so I imagine it must be real fun to be in earshot of McLaughlin tonight.

also what was up with the iPads? we didn’t have print on demand ballots upstate, so it didn’t seem to serve a purpose that the old books weren’t taking care of.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Monroe county has its first Democrat as county executive in 25 years! :hfive:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

Madden won but Reale quite obviously acted as a spoiler so I imagine it must be real fun to be in earshot of McLaughlin tonight.

also what was up with the iPads? we didn’t have print on demand ballots upstate, so it didn’t seem to serve a purpose that the old books weren’t taking care of.

I didn't see any ipads in my polling place. :shrug:

So looking at the tallies on the Rensselaer County election results website, not only did Reale really spoil things, the WFP endorsed a Republican in District 2, which seems to have given her the election, as there were 44 WFP votes and the Republican won by 6. The DWI race-baiter is definitely still Council President incumbent.

Turnout was joke, we have to have more than about 8000 eligible voters in this city.

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 00:19 on Nov 7, 2019

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Buffalo City Hall was raided today by the FBI, HUD, and IRS

whatis has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Nov 6, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

maybe i'm reading too much into nothing, but given that Jumaane is the only person out there who's mentioning Cuomo by name and connecting him to the shortcomings of NY state, i have a hunch he's gonna run for governor in 2022

unfortunately his successor in City Council, Farah Louis, couldn't be any more different. she's spent her short time there hitching her political fortunes to the more conservative group, and she seems particularly cozy with Chaim Deutsch

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Rensselaer County Exec is trying to reward his crony with a ridiculous $10k raise. Even his own party-members are not happy with that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's an annual state government conference in Puerto Rico happening right now. i saw a state assemblywoman put some of it up on her Instagram stories, namely some nonsense from Tish James and Cuomo saying he's going to spend Thanksgiving there. the latter is definitely pandering and probably not gonna happen

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ramos4gov/status/1192947351960375296

:getin:

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Ha, I went to high school with her. She's rad.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

there's an annual state government conference in Puerto Rico happening right now. i saw a state assemblywoman put some of it up on her Instagram stories, namely some nonsense from Tish James and Cuomo saying he's going to spend Thanksgiving there. the latter is definitely pandering and probably not gonna happen

poo poo he might. Not because of any actual desire to connect with his puerto rican constituents or whatever, but because it's better to spend thanksgiving on some sand and surf instead of in a gray and cold NYC.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cool dance moves posted:

poo poo he might. Not because of any actual desire to connect with his puerto rican constituents or whatever, but because it's better to spend thanksgiving on some sand and surf instead of in a gray and cold NYC.

Isn't that still hurricane season, though? Besides, he loves plowing snow.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Isn't that still hurricane season, though? Besides, he loves plowing snow.

Its right at the end of hurricane season and it's been a pretty mild one--just a couple of tropical storms (the nightmare in the Bahamas notwithstanding)

Though if he does love plowing snow then yeah he might stay in NYS

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rep. Peter King of southern Nassau and Suffolk Counties is retiring. i'm rolling my eyes at the ongoing narrative that he's some kind of bipartisan hero, he's the avatar of every Blue Lives Matter bridge-and-tunnel NYPD shithead that lives in his district and a massive islamophobe
ramos is one of the few people in state government who regularly calls out cuomo on his bullshit, she rules

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rep. Peter King of southern Nassau and Suffolk Counties is retiring. i'm rolling my eyes at the ongoing narrative that he's some kind of bipartisan hero, he's the avatar of every Blue Lives Matter bridge-and-tunnel NYPD shithead that lives in his district and a massive islamophobe

It's basically if your voting bloc was made up of the NYC Guido Voice parody account.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hey, now, don't forget he also a former (?) terrorism supporter, both politically and financially.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, now, don't forget he also a former (?) terrorism supporter, both politically and financially.

spicy take

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

He supported the IRA until the IRA was against the Iraq War lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He was too stupid to realize the IRA was good and that’s why he supported them

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Imagine fundraising for and politically supporting the PIRA, then having the gall to decide that every single Muslim in this country is a criminal and traitor. The only bad thing about him retiring is that he didn't disappear up his own rear end years ago. By his own standards he should have spent that time in Gitmo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

on the one hand, the IRA is good. on the other hand, King definitely thinks it's not terrorism when it's white people, so it's a wash

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

We need cops harassing churro ladies on the subway because 9/11

https://twitter.com/danarubinstein/status/1195011448688316418?s=21

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when we send hundreds of cops to their deaths we shouldnt replace them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
flying a plane through the turnstile without swiping is no joke