Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Coldbird posted:

I’m also in Atlanta. I live over in Duluth but I’m at Giga a lot, it seems to really be the most active store in the area. Big terrain selection and lots of tables, though the meta there is fairly competitive and yes, it can be crowded.

PM me if you ever want to just drop by or learn the rules or something, I have more than enough Salamanders if you need to borrow guys for a small or medium game. Should also note that Giga has a thing every Friday night at 8 for 40k, which is less competitive than normal for there... though that isn’t saying much.

I think I'll take you up on that. Busy next weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

The Dregs posted:

Does anyone know of a good source for written battle reports? Youtube reports are OK, but they're often long and are mostly rolling dice.

Unironically play them at 1.5x or 2x speed, especially the Tabletop Tactics ones. You adjust quicker than you realise and your brain still processes exactly what's going on.

E: although Bone still somehow manages to spend 20 minutes chattering through his lists. I guess there are some chunks of time that just refuse to be compressed

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

The Dregs posted:

I think I'll take you up on that. Busy next weekend?

Not yet. I work 9 to 5, Mon to Fri, and usually have weekends free. Can be there on weeknights after 7.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Weeknights are good for me too. How about Thursday or Friday? Mind if I bring my son? He is interested too.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Do we want to do some kind of Atlanta goon Giga-Bites meetup? I’d be down for shooting the crap and rolling dice.

The Dregs posted:

Weeknights are good for me too. How about Thursday or Friday? Mind if I bring my son? He is interested too.

I have a Necron army they could try.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 4, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll likely be near Atlanta by the end of the year/beginning of next year, depending on if the indie studio I'm working with ends up getting an office near there. As it currently stands I'm over in Winder, about an hour northeast of ATL.

If I have the right place looked up, I'm about an hour from Giga-Bites Cafe where I live currently lol

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Anyone know if the turret options for the Carnodon are available anywhere, or is it just lascannons

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

adamantium|wang posted:

Unironically play them at 1.5x or 2x speed, especially the Tabletop Tactics ones. You adjust quicker than you realise and your brain still processes exactly what's going on.

E: although Bone still somehow manages to spend 20 minutes chattering through his lists. I guess there are some chunks of time that just refuse to be compressed

I really like the deep list explanations when they are playing competitive "tactica" games.

But when it's just a couple of bad armies with fun models then we don't need 20 freaking minutes mr bone.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

The Dregs posted:

PierreTheMime posted:

Do we want to do some kind of Atlanta goon Giga-Bites meetup? I’d be down for shooting the crap and rolling dice.

Thursday night works. Friday night I'll probably be playing in Friday Night Fights there, so if you prefer Friday then just show up at 8:00p and I'll be the one Salamanders guy. There's actually three or four others I know of, but they're a bit more sporadic. If any of them do happen to show up, I'm the one with more Primaris. This coming Friday is 1,000 points night.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
great! I let you know tomorrow, if that is OK with you.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I'm pretty happy on how my first crimson fist came out, man I love this hobby!! https://i.imgur.com/sztYq0r.jpg

that is one enthusiastic space marine

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
he loves his job

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JackMann posted:

I mentioned earlier I'm planning to start a second army once I hit 90 boyz and 2000 points. My FLGS dude sold me on Iron Hands. I already had the Dark Imperium set and some primaris dreads. He also sold me the relevant codices, primaris aggressors, and Feirros.

I also have some old Marine stuff. Notably, the old Dark Vengeance box. I know those were meant as Dark Angels, but would any of the models work for Iron Hands? Anything in there that would be particularly useful?

All of the DA half of Dark Vengeance is legal, paint 'em black and they're Iron Hands.

They're not great choices for a competitive Iron Hands army, though. No vehicles, only a couple of heavy weapons. You could use the Tac Marines as a couple of five man Tac Squads to fill in the Troops for a Battalion or Brigade, and the characters are fine, but the Bikers really want to be White Scars, Ultramarines, or Imperial Fists, and while I'd love to say that Termies are good, they really aren't...they need to be three wounds or cheaper. As it is, all the 2D weapons that nearly everyone has kills 'em way too quick. They've got some play as turn two Deep Strikers, especially for the mostly Primaris Iron Hand army that you seem to be building, but if you're going that way you need to use them as flankers hitting a poorly held enemy objective on the far side of the board, not front and center in front of the enemy's main guns.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So I've just been trying out painting a few different armies, and I did my first IG:

I really liked painting that little guy! I based the color scheme off a bit in the codex about the Vresh Grenadiers. Used contrast paint for the flesh, which was a real timesaver. Overall, this was the quickest and easiest model to paint so far, which is probably a good thing if I want to do IG as a main army, since I understand I'll be needing a lot of them. :v:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

So I've just been trying out painting a few different armies, and I did my first IG:

I really liked painting that little guy! I based the color scheme off a bit in the codex about the Vresh Grenadiers. Used contrast paint for the flesh, which was a real timesaver. Overall, this was the quickest and easiest model to paint so far, which is probably a good thing if I want to do IG as a main army, since I understand I'll be needing a lot of them. :v:

This looks great, the faces on the cadian models are a nightmare but you nailed it!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Anyone that 3D prints have any movement tray stl files for the old school pill-style biker bases?

I'm planning on bringing some Orks to an Apocalypse game, which includes >30 warbikers.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

jng2058 posted:

All of the DA half of Dark Vengeance is legal, paint 'em black and they're Iron Hands.

They're not great choices for a competitive Iron Hands army, though. No vehicles, only a couple of heavy weapons. You could use the Tac Marines as a couple of five man Tac Squads to fill in the Troops for a Battalion or Brigade, and the characters are fine, but the Bikers really want to be White Scars, Ultramarines, or Imperial Fists, and while I'd love to say that Termies are good, they really aren't...they need to be three wounds or cheaper. As it is, all the 2D weapons that nearly everyone has kills 'em way too quick. They've got some play as turn two Deep Strikers, especially for the mostly Primaris Iron Hand army that you seem to be building, but if you're going that way you need to use them as flankers hitting a poorly held enemy objective on the far side of the board, not front and center in front of the enemy's main guns.

Gotcha. I'll wait until I get through the Primaris stuff before I dig the Vengeance stuff out.

Hopefully I'll be able to start on this by the New Year. Just got to grind through thirty more boyz and some fun stuff.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Start Competing: Thousand Sons Tactics

This week the crew takes a good hard look at them dusty boys. Read Robert "TheChirurgeon" Jones and RagnarokAngel word's on how to be awesome with the boys in blue.

Never Gonna Give You Up(dates): Chaos Space Marine Kill Team Tactics

Robert "TheChirurgeon" Jones and novembermike has a ganda at Chaos Marine Kill Teams. Spoiler: we wish GW would also take a ganda at the teams.

Seriously send help.

Meta Update: October Results and the SoCal Open

The monthly meta dump is here.

Gunum Presents: Hear me out, Wings! Birds of Goon.

Gunum finds a new, fresh victim in Wings.

Your Warlord Sucks

Running out of legions, Greg Chiasson and Robert "TheChirurgeon" Jones turn their attention to warlords. 

Warlord Wednesdays: Maniples and You – Choosing a Maniple for Adeptus Titanicus

Garrett "John Condit" Severson and Soggy breakdown the different maniples for titanicus.

The Narrative Forge: Painting Graffiti

This is my fave for the week. Chur not only goes step by step on how to paint some graffiti but also dives into the terms and history of it IRL.

How to Paint Everything: How to Make a Simple Wet Palette

Skails writes up how to make a sick DIY wet palette. This article owns.

Army Showcase: Greg’s (Booley’s) Tau

Greg talks about Booley's Tau. Which he now owns. It's a weird one. Read it!

Tournament Preview – Three Cool Lists from Blood and Glory

Wings takes a risk. Also he looks at some risky business lists in the GT.

Content We Liked, 11/3/2019

Our weekly content round up of cool stuff on the interwebs.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lord Hydronium posted:

The flesh on this guy puts my models to shame. What did you do with the contrast paint?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Kitchner posted:

The flesh on this guy puts my models to shame. What did you do with the contrast paint?
Undercoat of Wraithbone, then a couple coats of Guilliman Flesh until it was dark enough.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Undercoat of Wraithbone, then a couple coats of Guilliman Flesh until it was dark enough.

gonna try this on my other unhelmeted dudes, thanks!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I too am going to try that, it's captured the detail really well in the face.

I can't remember how I used to paint flesh but this time is has been the flesh base coat with the flesh wash, with cadian flesh on top of that, with kislev flesh to try and highlight it, and in theory screaming skull on the very tips.

Even if I get this to work, I'm not going to do it for all 100 of my guardsmen who at the moment have some old base colour flesh and black wash all over them for super speed painting.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 4, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I still need to buy the new Knight-Questors flesh and see how well that works as darker tone with some simple highlights.

Haven't seen the contrast skin colours used all that much yet so nice to see some good examples of it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
How hard is it to get into Kill Team? Seemed like a good thing to do while we grow our armies, but if you have to buy a 150 dollar box set, it isn't really worth it.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

What does the “placing” percent mean?

“% of the lists that made top 8” ?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Are there any units in the game that are power armored and wield two melee weapons? Like, not lightning claws, but more like two swords or whatever? I just want to model and paint that for fun.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Outside of Eldar Wraithguard I can't think of that many. I think you can set up one of the Grey Knight units to wield two swords though.

tovarich
Feb 28, 2001

The Dregs posted:

How hard is it to get into Kill Team? Seemed like a good thing to do while we grow our armies, but if you have to buy a 150 dollar box set, it isn't really worth it.
If you have 40k models and terrain you just need the core rulebook. Elites adds more units, sub-faction rules (e.g. Tau Septs, Ork Klans, Chapter Tactics), stratagems and missions that add a lot to the game. The units and sub-faction rules are in Battlescribe, so you could get by without the actual Elites book. I haven't played with Commanders or Arena so no idea what those bring.

I end up playing it more than 40k because it's easier to get a game going. I can easily bring two teams to play with someone who doesn't have any, and the games are generally shorter.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

goose willis posted:

Are there any units in the game that are power armored and wield two melee weapons? Like, not lightning claws, but more like two swords or whatever? I just want to model and paint that for fun.

Cooked Auto posted:

I think you can set up one of the Grey Knight units to wield two swords though.

*teleports behind you*
Heh, nothin' personal kid...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Dregs posted:

You only need the rulebook really. Obviously the kill teams, but if you are building an army your basic troop choices should cover that, and you need some terrain too, but worst case poorhammer it with some cardboard buildings and walls. Masking tape out the play area and put some terrain on it.

I figure you could probably do KT with the First Strike box + easy to build plague marines + core rules for sub $100. Or even do the paint sets with 3 intercessors and 3 plague marines + First Strike + KT rules and at Amazon prices thats $125 to get someone with zero paints, models, or rules 2 complete kill teams to start with.

Search around local stores to find a kill zone, if you find one for MSRP the boxes are good value. I just found Death World Forest, you get a game board, terrain, and some special rules for the environment for $80.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 4, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

Any Vanguard Veteran, plus the Deathwatch Blackshield, can all take two power swords as a legal loadout.

It's pointless, but you can do it.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

The Dregs posted:

I am actually North of Atlanta, near Marietta. The local game store here (Gigabites) always seems to be slammed with players. It'll be awhile before I can actually field an army. When I can, I will be sure to hit you up.

Edit: Holy poo poo. Guilliman woke up? Primaris Marines? They advanced the storyline?!

I also live in the North Atlanta area (Sandy Springs) right next to Roswell.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anybody make Order of the Valorous Heart transfers? I could probably kludge together a white Templars cross and heart decal, but that's not something I want to do a lot of if there's an alternative.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

goose willis posted:

In the 30k the Thousand Sons have a unit like that: the Khenetai Occult.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Khenetai-Occult-Blade-Cabal-Upgrade-Set-2017

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Is the new SoB box an 'until sold out' sort of thing, or hanging around? I can't budget for it at the moment, and if the Dark Eldar release a few years ago is any indication, armies that haven't seen an update in a while clear out FAST

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

The Sisko posted:

I also live in the North Atlanta area (Sandy Springs) right next to Roswell.

The Dregs and Coldbird (and another else in the Atlanta area if you're interested), The Sisko and I are going to have a game at Giga-Bites on Saturday starting around 2pm. My vile star-spawn of Hive Kraken versus the courageous techwarriors of the Omnissiah (and friends) at 1850pts. If you're free and want to see a goon live, you're welcome to come by to discuss the game, rules, etc.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Clawtopsy posted:

Is the new SoB box an 'until sold out' sort of thing, or hanging around? I can't budget for it at the moment, and if the Dark Eldar release a few years ago is any indication, armies that haven't seen an update in a while clear out FAST

I feel pretty confident in saying 1. the box set is limited 2. the sisters update is not

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

PierreTheMime posted:

The Dregs and Coldbird (and another else in the Atlanta area if you're interested), The Sisko and I are going to have a game at Giga-Bites on Saturday starting around 2pm. My vile star-spawn of Hive Kraken versus the courageous techwarriors of the Omnissiah (and friends) at 1850pts. If you're free and want to see a goon live, you're welcome to come by to discuss the game, rules, etc.

I have a Saturday D&D game that cancels about half the time, so I will let you know if I can make it when I find out. Sounds fun.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

PierreTheMime posted:

I’ll try to be around, will bring a barrel of green marines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Clawtopsy posted:

1) It'll probably be sold out almost immediately.

2) The multipose plastics aren't in the leaks for the remainder of the year, so they'll likely be early next year. However, the boxed set is monopose, so if you like these Sisters scults and this Penitent Engine sculpt, and you miss the box, you won't be able to pick them up when the multipose boxes hit, because those will be slightly different sculpts.

3) Given that Start Collecting Vanguard Space Marines is the monopose Shadowspear Vanguard plastic, and Start Collecting Chaos Space Marines is the monopose Shadowspear Daemonkin plastic, and the Daemonkin plastic in Shadowspear was one full sprue and two half-sprues and leaked photos indicate that the plastic contents of the limited SoB box is also one full sprue and two half-sprues, there's a very good chance that around this time next year, the monopose models from the limited Sisters box will show up in a much less limited Start Collecting Sisters of Battle box, minus all the other limited stuff from the upcoming box like the LE codex and cards and dice and things.

All of which is to say, Sisters box is limited, multipose stuff will probably show up early-to-mid next year, but if you have serious FOMO about missing these sculpts don't worry about it, they'll show up cheaper later. If you really really want a bunch of limited edition cards and dice and the boxed version of the codex, though, better watch that online store like a hawk.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 4, 2019