Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I doubt it was manhattan sending the car because he's not got much of a sense of humour as laurie pointed out. He's cryptic but he's not that kind of cryptic.

The joke was that she was praying to 'god' for a sign and 'god' metaphorically answered, although not literally the same entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The politics of the show aren't really clear yet. I have a distinct feeling that it won't be clear until we've seen most, if not all, of the show. However certain people have already made up their minds about it and just enjoy punching themselves in the taint every week, so that's what the ignore function is for

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're punching us in the taint, actually

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I read a theory that Veidt is actually Doctor Manhattan. I'll see if I can find it, there was some pretty interesting thinking in it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If Dr Manhattan made Veidt’s prison, why is there black freighter comic poo poo all over? I feel like he wouldn’t use metaphors.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm getting the vibe that Dr. Manhattan came back to Veidt and said "you are too dangerous to leave unrestrained with modern technology" and so he imprisoned him in a place that confines him to victorian era tech

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

The politics of the show aren't really clear yet. I have a distinct feeling that it won't be clear until we've seen most, if not all, of the show. However certain people have already made up their minds about it and just enjoy punching themselves in the taint every week, so that's what the ignore function is for

I mean, uh, what's the difference between discussing the show's unrevealed plots and discussing the show's unrevealed politics? Seems they're roughly similar.

Beyond that, I think it's worth talking about the show's politics, because - beyond the fact that all fiction is basically political - this is an expressly political show.

For what it's worth, I view this show as leaning centrist/liberal, but that's because pretty much all of Lindelof's stuff does, and also because it's the kind of show that acts like the questions it's asking - is policing inherently, structurally flawed? are superheros problematic? - are ambiguous or even relevant or useful questions. Other than some questions of race, it's not really asking anything the original comic was answering, and given that Lindelof has argued that he's really more interested in just the asking of questions rather than the manufacture of answers I doubt it's going to try.

But I'm still interested in watching the show, despite its derivative qualities, partly because it's got my attention, partly because it's got this thread's attention, and partly because I am to see if I'm right. It's basically LOST all over again, only with political opinions instead of polar bears. Which is probably the point.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm just here to read reactions to and jokes about the comically enormous blue dildo with attachable balls.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndyElusive posted:

I'm just here to read reactions to and jokes about the comically enormous blue dildo with attachable balls.

Which there was a disappointingly amount of.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That dildo was really low tech compared to the rest of the world. Surely they have enough reference footage to extrapolate what it would be like hard. I guess it’s world building, like how they don’t have an internet or cell phones.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1191452460340125697?s=20

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That dildo was really low tech compared to the rest of the world. Surely they have enough reference footage to extrapolate what it would be like hard. I guess it’s world building, like how they don’t have an internet or cell phones.

Laurie having an Alexa smart home device that recognizes which CDs she owns was pretty high tech compared to the rest of the low tech on the show.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I just assumed he made it as big as Laurie wanted during sex and this is what she ended up with.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I think the most likely theory is that Veidt created the entire circumstances he's in somehow - he created a castle, servants, AND antagonists, and set rules for what they can and cannot do. This lets him play as much as he wants but still have some goals and obstacles to overcome.

Since he's the smartest greatest man or whatever, he has to set artificial limitations to remain challenged and entertained.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

He looked more pissed off than entertained.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

nooneofconsequence posted:

He looked more pissed off than entertained.

Maybe initially, since being challenged is frustrating (especially when you KNOW you're better or could be rid of these people).

What cemented it for me was when the game warden signed his letter as "your loyal servant." I know that it's still not a total admission, but it makes me think that everyone in his little bubble serves him, even his "rulers".

And the fact that his servants seem to display incomplete human emotions, like that he "wishes" they could figure certain things out and is so proud of them when they do something innovative or creative, makes me think he has only replicated people so well to serve him and challenge him.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
And he seemed genuinely delighted when he was composing that response letter. Even before he put on the costume, the game warden had him reliving his masked hero days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Except for moments of frustration, he seems pretty manic most of the time. Dude’s 100% off his rocker.

What if time doesn’t pass in his bubble? That story could be decades or centuries in.

I don’t think the place is his design, either. The Black Freighter poo poo seems designed to mock him.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This show says that if we give reparations then white people will create a domestic terrorism group and then the cops will start oppressing white people because they seem like they might be adjacent too the 7th kavalry and they have torture chambers where they beat the poo poo out of them.

If it’s explained then it’s only looking through it through the most bad faith take ever on reparations.

Lol you don't think there'd be a domestic terrorist response to reperations? Its like the most believable thing. White guys would get so mad

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I see will is now stav

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Lol you don't think there'd be a domestic terrorist response to reperations? Its like the most believable thing. White guys would get so mad

Yeah—there are domestic terrorists right now responding to black people existing, many of them working as police. I don’t see how the show makes reparation look bad either.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah—there are domestic terrorists right now responding to black people existing, many of them working as police. I don’t see how the show makes reparation look bad either.

Yea and actually, they HAVE been using an inhumane torture technique interrogating black suspects and their community

drat dude, goobust, you really did think further on this did you?

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

I think the most likely theory is that Veidt created the entire circumstances he's in somehow - he created a castle, servants, AND antagonists, and set rules for what they can and cannot do. This lets him play as much as he wants but still have some goals and obstacles to overcome.

Since he's the smartest greatest man or whatever, he has to set artificial limitations to remain challenged and entertained.

This is my interpretation as well.

edit:
Also not sure why everyone thinks the dildo is so much bigger than average?

a very large fish fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 5, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm reading the comic now and I like that Laurie's love of Devo is established canon.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Having read the Peteypedia on the painting that lead to the Episode 2 title, discusses how the painter's works were purchased but were not put on display for the world to see, but were rather locked away. It also notes how the artist, in his years of exile, had become "exceedingly cunning, skillful, and ingenious" which allowed him to duplicate his work.

The letter closes with Keene describing himself and the sheriff as "Achaians coming from Troy ... making for home, by the wrong way, on the wrong courses."

I'm struck by how much of that can apply to the Veidt plotline, and it seems like foreshadowing Veidt, in exile, has become exceedingly clever and has taken to recreating his work on Earth as a play. This seems to set things up for Veidt to (somehow) escape from Mars or wherever he is, and to have a hand in the founding (or redirection) of the Seventh Cavalry, not as an earnest belief, but to justify further police action and to lead to the kind of society that he wishes to create for the world. This would indeed help show that "nothing ever ends" and would set up the series s a fully self- referential echo of the book.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

dick wizard posted:

This is my interpretation as well.

The thing about that is, in light of how deranged and clever Veidt is showing himself to be, shouldn’t these scenes be making us wonder about what might happen if he manages to escape? The stakes drop considerably if this is just a vacation and not a struggle for something that would probably be bad if it happened.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A part of me hopes Manhattan never makes an appearance at all, mirroring how big his absence is felt in the real world. The ways characters argue about him (like whether or not he can look like a normal human), wonder about where he is and what he's doing, and can't get over him are all mirrored by the audience waiting for the iconic character to finally make his appearance.

It’s a different anniversary each time, increasing by 1 each segment. But we don’t know if it’s days, months, years, or what. It probably took some time to work out the leather spacesuit.

In the first episode he says he is going to write a play and then in the second episode he has not only written the play but had it performed enough to be familiar with and annoyed by the clones' acting quirks. In the second episode he has the idea of using corpses for materials when pulling the dead clone out of the incinerator, in the third episode he has made enough human leather to make a spacesuit out of. There is definitely significant amounts of time passing between episodes.

Though on the other hand him riding up to an apple tree only to be disappointed that it's growing tomatoes seems like something that would have happened like day one rather than on the eve of his second anniversary at the place so that kind of dream logic about the passage of time does support the idea that he's trapped in some kind of mind prison or extradimensional space. Especially since we know he's stuck with anachronistic technology so he wasn't checking on the handiwork of his own genetic engineering or something.

Canadian Surf Club posted:

On another note, everyone was losing it that the police were depicted as the good guys in episode one. Now we have them black-bagging people and threatening them with dogs in scenes reminiscent of Guantanamo or Chicago's Homan Square. I liked how Laurie comes through and pretty much shows them all up to be small town petty tyrants, but the FBI isn't much better itself.

Every new episode makes me laugh harder at the people who were declaring this show to be obvious fascist pro-cop propaganda before the show even aired, especially the ones who were yelling it at critics who had actually seen the show and were assuring them that they had no idea what they were talking about and it wasn't an issue. I had hoped they would shut up and go away after they were proven wrong instead of just latching onto whatever new thinkpiece declares the show to be terrible but alas.

AndyElusive posted:

So many people who don't watch the show have latched onto this as proof that the show is objectively terrible and is disrespecting the legacy of the comics and it's hilarious. It's like people trying to say Watchmen was a bad comic based entirely on the fake political cartoon on that one page.

https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/1191357930689445888

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This show says that if we give reparations then white people will create a domestic terrorism group and then the cops will start oppressing white people because they seem like they might be adjacent too the 7th kavalry and they have torture chambers where they beat the poo poo out of them.

If it’s explained then it’s only looking through it through the most bad faith take ever on reparations.

Uhh actually the show seems to indicate that for the most part things are OK until the political aspirations of politicans leads to them manufacturing these conflicts.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

JosefStalinator posted:

He made a puzzle for himself to help him figure out some greater goal. Like if he outwits the game warden, it translates to him having the means to blow up dr Manhattan or something.

Laurie was unpleasant and lame and her joke was loving tedious and not as clever as she thought it was and I hope sister night beats her up

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They were together for like 15 years. Him no longer being able to please her is a sign of his growing distance from humanity.

She gets over him in the book, though. She shouldn’t be missing him unless stuff has been going wrong with her.

Is Laurie Moore’s only good female character? Not a lot of competition, but some, I guess.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

ya but when it was good I bet it was real good

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Seriously guys, imagine you're Dr. Manhattan and you come home to see your answering machine light blinking. You press play and it's loving Laurie with another "joke". No way are you listening to it.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Is Laurie Moore’s only good female character? Not a lot of competition, but some, I guess.

If anyone is that it's Halo Jones.

(But I'd list all of the Prometheas, and maybe Mira and the main character in Big Numbers)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Adrian Veidt is living on mars.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Seriously guys, imagine you're Dr. Manhattan and you come home to see your answering machine light blinking. You press play and it's loving Laurie with another "joke". No way are you listening to it.

Imagine you’re Veidt, having made it from your magic prison to the receiving station, half dead and desperate for rescue. You grab the receiver to ask for help, but you can’t send because someone is sending audio. 20 minutes later you’re dead—asphyxiated—waiting for Laurie to finish the joke.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I thought this episode was garbage personally

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna justify this by saying that people idealize their past sex lives all the time, even when they aren't critical to national security.
also oh hey the full quote is a lot less lovely

quote:

“The last thing that anyone wanted to do was present a version of Laurie that was like hung up on Doctor Manhattan to the level that she couldn’t move on. But there is also something fascinating about if you were dating the most powerful being in the universe, how could you ever date someone else?” Lindelof said with a laugh.

He added, “But I never believed she and Dan would last long. That was my personal belief. This idea that all Laurie needed was someone to spoon with…did not really feel like it quite fit.”

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 5, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Even the grimey parts start to shine

Specially if you use AstroGlide

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

romanowski posted:

not sure if this was deliberate or the result of auto-correct but either way it's good as hell

I wish i'd come up with that, i'd be dining out on free beer and nachos for years.

It was a thing when those Oregon Militia guys tried to Waco themselves a couple of years back and asked the FBI for snacks, the internet did what it does and started a facebook group called Snacks for Y'all Queda, Vanilla ISIS and Yokel Haram followed very shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, how the ghost of you clings.