Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sunswipe posted:

Oh god, this is so much my father. We have to throw stuff out when he isn't looking because "It'll be useful one day." No. The cordless phones you replaced ten years ago are not going to be useful for anything. The CRT computer monitors can be safely got rid of. No one is ever going to repair these old keyboards. The worst part is I've got the same instincts, and I have to almost every day say "No, this will never be needed, throw it away/recycle it/donate it" to myself.

For me, I do this a lot because

1) Growin up, my mom was extremely generous with others, andwould randomly give my stuff away to other people without asking me. She could not understand why it was a big deal because she could just buy me new if I needed it (sometimes she could, anyway). She never understood that some things had a sentimental value to me, so now I hate parting with personal stuff.

2) I have experienced being hand to mouth while trying to raise children, so I am reluctant to throw away anything of value that I think I could use later.

3) Right after I bought my house, we were still poor, and the insurance company gave us a list of a bunch of stuff we had to fix or they would drop us. I couldn't afford it all, but our dads came over and fixed most of it using literal scrap material they both had laying around from as long as 20 years ago, and so I am also reluctant to throw away building materials.

Recently I have started throwing away about a decade's worth of accumulated crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
BF (26M) is lukewarm with micro-interactions when we’re out in public and it’s “bothering” me (21F)

quote:

For context: he’s a much more physical person than I am so this is strange. He is the one who initiates sex; asks to cuddle; asks for hugs; gives me little pecks here and there but only when we’re alone at home. We’ve been together for almost a year now.

I’m saying that this is “bothering” me bc I just have this tiny thought in the back of my mind that I’m an under-the-radar GF to him. Now, I say that because we had some on/off bickering throughout the months about him publicizing us which he was hesitant to do. He had just moved to my city for a job a couple months before we met so he didn’t and doesn’t have a great connection of friends except for those he left behind in old city. I was big on him posting about us bc while he can be introduced to my friends and circle, I can’t enjoy the same integration into his life. So, hence the under-the-radar vibe in the background. He’s since then done a better job posting and I finally got to meet his friends for the very first time since we got together yesterday...

We hold hands in public while walking but when we’re not moving or in a place with people, he becomes kind of “distant” — like not maliciously; the kind of “distant” someone may be to their date after only a couple dates. So, he does stuff like loosely laces fingers and fidgeting with thumbs instead of putting his hand on my leg/waist for example. Or he’d keep his hands on the table. When we take photos, he’d hover hand me. He rarely holds me with a nice grip, sort of just pressing his palm to my arm with soft outstretched fingers?? He also stands super straight and look somewhat stiff if we’re ever standing around.

See, he’s the goofiest when it’s just us. We shower together and do gross couples stuff like pee with each other in the room. We’ve been living together (basically) for the entire relationship. We have a running count of nights sleeping together for way over 200 days so it’s not like he’s shy. He makes me come over just to sit next to him sometimes when he’s working (!!)

I have insecurities but something tells me that there’s more to these micro interactions, sort of like tiny tics people make when they lie?? that’s indicative of something else. Is he embarrassed to be seen with me? Is he posturing to look single for other girls? Is he subconsciously avoiding too much contact with me?

TLDR: I feel like my BF is distant in public even though he’s behaves completely differently when we’re at home. Idk what to make of these little observations.

i loving hate modern life lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Danaru posted:

The next stage is "I get hundreds of PMs a day saying I was right from people who fear retaliation if they post publically" and that's usually when they get exposed for being a pedophile or a murderer. And a magachud of course

Yeah the "lots of people agree with me but are AFRAID TO SPEAK, I stand for the SILENT MAJORITY" is the conservative version of "I have received very credible and serious death threats over twitter, just so credible and serious you wouldn't believe it, that I will never reveal and are totally anonymous anyway".

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITAH for letting my coworkers quit because I got fired?

A regular offered me $100 to take a shot with him, he has been drinking at the bar I worked at for over 10 years, I worked there for 4 years. I made a shot with sour mix and cranberry to match the color of his so he thought I was taking one. I just want to make extra money.

My manager happened to see this on the cameras. There is a strict no drinking policy at this bar for bartenders on the clock, and it’s a new manager who is trying to show her authority so she made an example of me and fired me.

There is no way to prove there wasn’t booze in my shot, I saw the footage and with the liquor gun we have right next to the pop gun there is no way to prove I didn’t put liquor in that shot.

I honestly don’t and didn’t care enough to argue with her about it. I’m about to start a new job since I graduate from school after this semester and am not to concerned about my future in bartending.

I trained basically every new person at this bar, and I was honest with them that I was fired in our work group chat. They all started saying if you got fired for that we don’t want to work here either. They were all saying bad things about the manager and how they want to screw the whole bar over by all quitting at the same time.

I told them that our new manager is balls to the walls. I said I’m going to be just fine, but not to make my same mistake and drink ANYTHING out of a shot glass because she is that concerned about it. I also told them to think for themselves and do whatever they need to when it comes to their jobs.

I then let my anger overtake me and I said “if you want to find a job where you don’t have to be constantly looking over your back and have to be worried about an insane manager find different bartending and serving jobs. You’re all capable people that don’t deserve a psycho watching over you when you’ve put good time into a work place.” I basically contradicted myself.

I feel like I went over the top, my sister said I should’ve kept my mouth shut. But I explained the whole situation to the old manager, who taught me the “mix things together to look like booze so people don’t feel rejected when they buy you shots trick”. She thinks it’s crazy the new manager won’t trust me after training so many people in and my old manager loves me.

My old manager quit because she was moving away with her fiancé, but she told the new manager that I was trustworthy and I thought the new manager would have some trust considering I was basically running the bar when she came in.

Whatever the case, AITAH for letting a lot of employees quit on my behalf? Because as of now 7/10 bartenders where I was fired from are planning a group quit. I don’t want the bar to close, but I want my manager to realize that she messed up...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

That kind of stuff is always, always illegal, despite universities claiming they can set their own policies.
They'll just include some random cleaning charges (biological decontamination, facilities check) etc on their move-out forms.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hobo Clown posted:

McDonald's guy is a little upset:

This website and everyone on it is BULLSHIT

LOL

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITAH for letting my coworkers quit because I got fired?

I'm confused who he feels he's the rear end in a top hat to.

If it's his old co-workers, then maybe just jump back in chat and remind them that being unemployed kind of sucks so to think it fully through.

If it's his former boss then gently caress it, he doesn't work there anymore so he doesn't really need to try and keep anyone there.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

BF (26M) is lukewarm with micro-interactions when we’re out in public and it’s “bothering” me (21F)

lady, nobody wants to see you canoodling in public

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I love the way bothering is in quotes, as if she acknowledges that it's something that objectively isn't a problem but it is for her.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah the "lots of people agree with me but are AFRAID TO SPEAK, I stand for the SILENT MAJORITY" is the conservative version of "I have received very credible and serious death threats over twitter, just so credible and serious you wouldn't believe it, that I will never reveal and are totally anonymous anyway".

That's uh

A hell of a false equivalency there

Let's discount the well documented and pervasive threatening and harassment experienced by women on social media because of a MAGA slogan

E: a word

Jenrai fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 5, 2019

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Problem Sleuth posted:

Is he still posting these in r/aita?

This rant was posted in /r/TrueOffMyChest, which I had to look up but is apparently the same as /r/OffMyChest but without the drat SJW's infringing on free speech

quote:

This subreddit is not considered a safe space for any particular group. If you are in need of one, the original /r/offmychest maintains one (Mostly for common safe spaces such as LGBT, Domestic Abuse, Sexual Abuse). All posts, besides blatant trolls or excessive circlejerking, are allowed and we will not take them down.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I remember when escape artist pulled the same poo poo in TVIV. First he claimed to have met the original Breaking Bad person who invented blue meth (didn't exist) and had a script about the blue meth from before BB aired that was 100% his, and when got dunked on for being a moron insisted he was the reason people loved The Wire and BB threads and sent him tons of PMs proclaiming how great he was for his analysis of the series.

After posting the PMs as "proof" the thread pointed out that all the PMs where written in the exact same style and sound exactly like escape artist's brand of self absorbed pseudo intellectual musings.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Jenrai posted:

That's uh

A hell of a false equivalency there

Let's discount the well documented and pervasive threatening and harassment experienced by women on social media because of a MAGA slogan

E: a word

The MAGAMaiden defender has logged on.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

therobit posted:

The MAGAMaiden defender has logged on.

I'm not sure you read my post.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What in tarnation is a MAGAMaiden?

Is that a thing anyone says or did you make it up just now???

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Jenrai posted:

I'm not sure you read my post.

It sounds like you are saying women are being harassed for wearing a MAGA hat. Is that not what you meant?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

What in tarnation is a MAGAMaiden?

Is that a thing anyone says or did you make it up just now???

I literally just made it up. Is it not clear from the context what I was referring to?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I broke up with my ex and I cried when he "moved on". I dont know if I have the right to feel this way. Is it normal to miss someone even though you were the one to leave them?
Breakups
My (F23) ex (M23) have dated for about 6 years before breaking up a few months ago. I was the one who initiated the break up, multiple break ups, in fact. I could never really commit to the break up because I would always cave when he would beg and cry and promise to do whatever I asked, and I always beleived him. Most of our arguments would stem from me becoming frustrated with his lack of responsibility when it came to... pretty much anything.

When I graduated college, he dropped out. When I got a job, he didn't even try to look for one. We went on a plane trip and I paid for both of our tickets (he still hasn't paid me back) In all our years of being together I shouldered the food bill 90% of the time when we went out on dates. The few times he did pay for the meal it made me giddy for days because it let me imagine a future where he might be able to take care of me.

I finally ended things when I was desperately trying to tell him that he needed to get his life together. Even when it broke my heart to ask him "Is there anything I can do that will help you?"

his response was "what kind of job do you think I should get?"

I realized he really just didn't get it.

I broke up with him over text. It was easier to be firm when he wasn't it front of me to beg me to stay.

About a month after that, I was more or less okay. We had sat down together for a bit of a "closure" talk and from there he said he hoped we could still be friends.

I agreed. After all, there wasn't really any bad blood between us.

Cut to a week later he told me he slept with a girl who had a boyfriend. They were sneaking around trying to hide it from their friends. They eventually found out.

He said he found comfort in knowing I wasn't mad at him even though a lot of other people (understandably) were.

and I comforted him... like a friend would do

he told me exactly how it happened, where they did it, how they were drunk and it was 2 in the morning, that they didnt use a condom because they were so in the moment

it made my stomach turn

I had always wished him well. Even when we broke up I wanted from the bottom of my heart for him to move on and find someone to make him happy.

and now I'm going crazy thinking about what he said. I cried over it. I cant even look at anything remotely sexual because it makes me think of them.

Eventually I told him I wasnt comfortable talking to him. He was clueless as to why I would feel this way.

I sobbed eventually telling him that I wasnt completely over him and that hearing what he did really messed me up. I questioned why he even suggested we stay friends. I asked him if he even cared if I was still part of his life.

His response was that he thought it would make ME feel better to stay friends. That it just "felt like the right thing to do"

"Do YOU Actually want to be friends??? It sounds like you would get along just fine without me... wouldn't you?" I asked.

"Yeah" was all he could say back to me.

after a beat I said "Have fun being a fcking side btch then" and hung up

I've been a wreck about this. I feel like an idiot for trying so hard to be his friend, especially at the cost of my emotional health. What's really eating at me was in the 6 years we were together he would constantly talk about marrying me and how he'd "love me forever".

and now in a month he's over it

and I'm not

I wonder how much I even mattered to him.

TL;DR I broke up with my ex and I cried when he "moved on". I dont know if I have the right to feel this way. Is it normal to miss someone even though you were the one to leave them?

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

therobit posted:

It sounds like you are saying women are being harassed for wearing a MAGA hat. Is that not what you meant?

Oh gosh no not at all, though I now see how it could be read that way.

I meant that using the "silent majority" terminology being embraced by the MAGA crowd to deride women receiving death threats via social media for unrelated reasons (since the quoted post created a clear divide between "how conservatives use silent majority" and "people who say they receive death threats over twitter") is extremely disingenuous and serves only to belittle the real and serious issue of harassment and threats via social media.

E: maybe "a clear parallel" is better phrasing, sorry my posting is bad today as most days!!

Jenrai fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 5, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for turning down a Disney World trip because of room arrangement?

My grandparents invited me, my wife, mom, dad, brother, and our 1 year old baby to Disney world and they are covering the room expenses.

​It's a resort room in animal kingdom totaling over 10k for 4 day stay. All we have to do is cover tickets, airfare, and food.

Now this seems pretty drat awesome but we foud out last night they got a 2 bedroom resort meaning that me, my wife, my dad, and mom all have to share a room WITH a baby while my brother sleeps on sofa bed.

​I said this was a waste of money (on grandparents part) to get a super expensive room and only have 2 bedrooms knowing we have a baby as well ( he will be 1yr and 2 days old when we go) and this morning i turned down the offer.

​My parents are making it seem like you are barely in the room anyway and it's not that big of a deal but with a baby I'm sure this is going to be an absolute headache and I just feel bad. Especially because grandparents were making it seem like it was a "family" thing they wanted to do... AITA?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll never understand the level to which some people take Disneyland. I think one full day and I'd be done. Four days straight sounds like torture.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

AnoHito posted:

There's plenty of people that agree with me that pointlessly harassing that woman was a good thing.

They're just offscreen, cheering.

She was middle-aged and making a handsome Maccas salary I tell you wot

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Chomp8645 posted:

I'll never understand the level to which some people take Disneyland. I think one full day and I'd be done. Four days straight sounds like torture.

Disneyland is one medium sized park. Disney World is gigantic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

zakharov posted:

Disneyland is one medium sized park. Disney World is gigantic.

Oh yeah there's different ones or whatever. Still, it feels less like a total size/content thing and more of a "I don't want to do Disney for four days" thing. But that's me. I'm sure some of these folks are in hog heaven.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My grandparents invited me, my wife, mom, dad, brother, and our 1 year old baby to Disney world and they are covering the room expenses.

​It's a resort room in animal kingdom totaling over 10k for 4 day stay. All we have to do is cover tickets, airfare, and food.

Now this seems pretty drat awesome but we foud out last night they got a 2 bedroom resort meaning that me, my wife, my dad, and mom all have to share a room WITH a baby while my brother sleeps on sofa bed.

​I said this was a waste of money (on grandparents part) to get a super expensive room and only have 2 bedrooms knowing we have a baby as well ( he will be 1yr and 2 days old when we go) and this morning i turned down the offer.

​My parents are making it seem like you are barely in the room anyway and it's not that big of a deal but with a baby I'm sure this is going to be an absolute headache and I just feel bad. Especially because grandparents were making it seem like it was a "family" thing they wanted to do... AITA?

I've read this three times and I still can't parse exactly what the sleeping arrangements are. Six people in one hotel room and the grandparents in a second? A 2 bed Apartment/challet? Are the grandparents even coming? Where did they think the baby would go?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Fatkraken posted:

I've read this three times and I still can't parse exactly what the sleeping arrangements are. Six people in one hotel room and the grandparents in a second? A 2 bed Apartment/challet? Are the grandparents even coming? Where did they think the baby would go?

I think the grandparents get one room to themselves. Then Parents, OPand Wife, OP Baby, and OP brother in another.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Somehow still better than that one family that made their daughter in law pay for a full share of a hotel suite in Vegas and then let their mooching daughter sleep in one of the rooms for free. Oh and the daughter in law had to sleep on the couch. I think it was literally everyone else had a room except her.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

dudeness posted:

I think the grandparents get one room to themselves. Then Parents, OPand Wife, OP Baby, and OP brother in another.

that was my conclusion from reading the comments

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
They only have to cover tickets, airfare, and food. Which is like 90% of the cost. Why is the room 10k for 4 days?!

I wouldn't go either.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
Disney World resorts are insanely expensive

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

quoting from a commenter:

it's a 2 bedroom apartment, probably with a Savannah view of animals.

Estimated cost for that room with DVC points is roughly $8,000 and it's more expensive if you book it direct with Disney outside of DVC.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

There's enough of a variety to the 4 or 5 Disney World parks that it's easy to find enough to do for that long if you're willing to pay for it. Taking a 2 year old seems like a waste though since they'd be too young to really appreciate it and won't remember any of it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

quoting from a commenter:

it's a 2 bedroom apartment, probably with a Savannah view of animals.

Estimated cost for that room with DVC points is roughly $8,000 and it's more expensive if you book it direct with Disney outside of DVC.

Ok that accommodation actually looks pretty reasonable if the brother gets the sofa couch, grandparents get the queen, and the couple + baby get the king.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I go to my step daughter’s graduation without her permission?

My step daughter hates me. She has given me the cold shoulder for as long as I can remember... I seriously don’t think she has ever even smiled around me. I initially was okay with it because her hatred was understandable, but it has been almost 4 years and I am tired of not being able to have a relationship with her. I love my wife so much and each of her daughters are just as wonderful as she is. I wish they would give me a chance, especially the eldest. She is graduating from nursing school soon and having a ceremony where family and friends are invited. My wife was told that I am not welcome and to please respect her decision. Once again, she pushes me far away and refuses to even try to form a relationship.

I have already missed out on countless birthdays and milestones simply because my step daughter doesn’t want to acknowledge the truth that I am a part of her family now. She in the beginning of my relationship with my wife had said very unkind words to me over and over again, which again I accepted because I understood she was angry. But it has been so long now, I don’t understand why she won’t give me a chance.

I try to always show how happy I make my wife so that she will understand her parents’ separating was for the best. Even her father is very polite and cordial when we run into him at family events. No one is holding this grudge except for her, and I think it’s not even her grudge to hold.

I am thinking about going to her graduation ceremony even though she doesn’t want me to. Even though she has treated me like this, I care for her and want to be there for this big moment. She doesn’t have to talk to me or acknowledge me, but I just want to be there. Would that be wrong of me to do?

My wife and her ex husband were in an arranged marriage, so she was never fully happy in the relationship. We were childhood friends but I moved to the states at 15... we had only recently reconnected before we both realized each other’s feelings. I used to live 7 hours away, but her daughters found out about us very quickly. They even collected evidence to use when they confronted me. My eldest step daughter reached out to me and begged me to stop and leave her mother alone, which truly did break my heart. She told me I was destroying two families, but truthfully my first wife and I had stopped loving each other for a long time... I understand that it wasn’t the ideal way to find out, but I hoped that they would eventually understand and give me a chance.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sunswipe posted:

Oh god, this is so much my father. We have to throw stuff out when he isn't looking because "It'll be useful one day." No. The cordless phones you replaced ten years ago are not going to be useful for anything. The CRT computer monitors can be safely got rid of. No one is ever going to repair these old keyboards. The worst part is I've got the same instincts, and I have to almost every day say "No, this will never be needed, throw it away/recycle it/donate it" to myself.

You are one 'oh dang I really did need that' away from going full hoarder.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Jenrai posted:

Oh gosh no not at all, though I now see how it could be read that way.

I meant that using the "silent majority" terminology being embraced by the MAGA crowd to deride women receiving death threats via social media for unrelated reasons (since the quoted post created a clear divide between "how conservatives use silent majority" and "people who say they receive death threats over twitter") is extremely disingenuous and serves only to belittle the real and serious issue of harassment and threats via social media.

E: maybe "a clear parallel" is better phrasing, sorry my posting is bad today as most days!!

Oh. Sorry for misreading. I feel you on that. If I write something quickly I find that it often doesn't come across the way I wanted it to.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Hobo Clown posted:

There's enough of a variety to the 4 or 5 Disney World parks that it's easy to find enough to do for that long if you're willing to pay for it. Taking a 2 year old seems like a waste though since they'd be too young to really appreciate it and won't remember any of it.
I took my 2.5 year old and 4 year old this year because we had a wedding nearby and were traveling anyway. I'm sure my son won't remember it, but it was fun anyway.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 5, 2019

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
Lmao, just lmao at spending tens of thou going to loving Disney World. Jesus Christ you could actually go somewhere amazing for a couple weeks on that kind of cash

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

bamhand posted:

Ok that accommodation actually looks pretty reasonable if the brother gets the sofa couch, grandparents get the queen, and the couple + baby get the king.

He mentioned his parents are going as well so that's another couple to squeeze in there on that second sofa bed.

Really the grandparents should offer the master bedroom to the couple with the kid, that would probably solve a lot of issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
My step sister once found mold in our rental house and had a fit. She moved herself, her husband, their toddler and our step mom into a one room hotel room for about 4 days.

They seriously expected me to come and stay with them. In one bedroom. With three adults and a spoiled toddler.

I chose the mold. If I were in the Disney family's place I wouldn't go either. Waste of time and money, they'll all be miserable.