Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't want to bump a largely dead thread so I'll just ask if Granbelm is worth a watch 'cause I need some mecha.

granbelm's good. the mech designs are very sd, like ryu knight or wataru or something, and the early fights are all over the place but the mid-season ones are really good. though the final boss is mostly just funnel spams so the big final battle isn't amazing, but it's fine.

its big strength is its character writing, the two leads have a great dynamic and the show really sells them as caring about each other, there's a bunch of great quiet scenes of them just talking about their feelings, and they both are great character work and come across pretty natural. the final villain is a bit of a trope but she's at least got some good lines, and the mid-season villain is really well-done.

and theres some visual references to zeta gundam if you're into that just because the director and writer are both tomino fanboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll give it a watch :)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

mecha related: do the mecha fights in kuromukuro get any better in the second half? Cuz the first half was pretty unimpressive.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the mecha fights were not the thing i ever watched kuromukuro for

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought the animation and character stuff was neat but every time those cg dumpster designs lumbered on screen I immediately lost interest.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i only watched half of kuromukuro but it was very. a mecha show where everything, other than the mechas, was fun to watch

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cgmechs.txt I guess

PA Works is weirdly uneven. I absolutely adore shirobako and iroha, but glasslip was embarrassing and kuromukuro is a mixed bag at best.

What did people think of Sakura Quest? Is it anything like first two mentioned above or is it more like the latter 2?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DamnGlitch posted:

Cgmechs.txt I guess

PA Works is weirdly uneven. I absolutely adore shirobako and iroha, but glasslip was embarrassing and kuromukuro is a mixed bag at best.

What did people think of Sakura Quest? Is it anything like first two mentioned above or is it more like the latter 2?

I didn't personally watch it, but I recall seeing multiple people compare it to a different flavor of Shirobako, so if you enjoyed that you'll still probably like sakura quest, even if not to the same degree.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

DamnGlitch posted:

Cgmechs.txt I guess

More like the latter two, IMO. It was a generally slow and not great watch. There were a handful of effective moments but they were buried among a lot of "why is the show doing this?"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I heard SQ was okay in the first cour but tightened up in the second.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sakura Quest inviting comparisons to Shirobako kind of sets it up for disappointment because Shirobako is a show where 100% of the people watching it are already personally invested in its subject whereas Sakura Quest is close to the opposite so it has way more work to do

but the actual best PA Works is Eccentric Family if you haven't seen that

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I thought Sakura Quest was sweet and effective at making you care about the cast and their problems and victories. I flip flop on the pacing and stakes because I think everything it did was deliberate and kinda necessary, but I did end up taking a couple months to get through the first half because of it

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I enjoyed Sakura Quest as some light watching, but I do think it's far weaker than Shirobako or Hanasaku Iroha. SQ feels more laid-back with lower stakes drama and a nice rural Japan vibe, but the characters are pretty forgettable compared to the great ones (and even the awful ones) in Iroha or Shirobako.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'll come to bat for Sakura Quest. It gets the rural vibes down pat pretty well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone wants some good creepy poo poo to read for Halloween, Junji Ito's last short story No Longer Human is amazing. Probably one of his best works, it's kind of a rewrite of a older Japanese novel but with horror/psychological craziness that Junji has in all his works.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
I'm gonna "read the manga" you about this manga and say you should read Dazai's No Longer Human. The psychological bent is not unique to Ito's adaptation. I can't speak of the quality of the adaptation but we should take a moment to appreciate capital L Literature when we can.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
read both and appreciate the single panel in the new manga from the author of girls last tour where the main character opens a door and sees a giant copy of no longer human and just says "no longer human." and then it never gets brought up again

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
that owns. and yes read both because im sure junji ito does good work. as a novel its very in his wheelhouse.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Uber Doge

https://twitter.com/pioooooon/status/1188442335014608898?s=09

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
nah, watch the anime of it instead in aoi bungaku :twisted:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is it OK to request manga recommendations here?

I've really been enjoying Tonikaku Kawaii, Kawaii Hito, and Pseudo Harem simply because it's a couple that are either already a couple and all lovey-dovey or two people who like each other and are actually flirting, not just doing the stereotypical Japanese romcom thing where they're just ignorant and/or tsundere. Are there any other titles in the same vein of a couple that's already together and getting more coupley, or a couple that's doing a more mutually-flirtatious blossoming relationship? It'd be great if it was less high school centered. I liked Golden Time for its setting and relationship dynamic, save for the rather badly done ending. College, workforce, etc. is preferred but if it's school and good, I can deal with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you haven't read Bonnouji yet read that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Yandere Kanojo is my insta-rec. I'll post more as I come up with them.

Yandere Kanojo

Wotakoi

Kekkon Shitemo Koishiteru

Bonnouji

This Girl is not Just Cute

Ore Monogatari

Lovely Complex

Kawai Hi to

Kimi ni Todoke

Taisho Otome Otogibanashi

There was another one about a couple living together. A guy with a tired/bored looking face who was 3 years younger than the last. First chapter was about pudding theft.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 6, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Couples in relationships + adult characters:

Tonari wa Nani o Kuu Hito zo - Horoyoi
This is actually a sequel but the first part is more of a cooking/slice of life thing that doesn't really get that romantic until almost at the end, and imo the sequel can stand alone as its own thing but it does expect that you already know all the characters. It's still cooking/slice of life but it's also a couple living together and figuring that out + joining the workforce and all that young adult post-college stuff. Very chill and low-key also.

Mobuko's Love is a workplace/college-age setting and extremely cute and earnest so if you aren't already reading it you should check it out. The couple is still sort of fumbling toward getting together but they're trying their best :kimchi:

I'm Nearly 30, But This Is My First Love
Just what it says on the tin. Working adults who are kind of late bloomers in their first relationship and figuring out how it all works. It's really cute and also has very good supporting characters!

Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini
Comedy/slice of life with a couple who have started living together. Another one that's pretty low-key, it has kind of a dry sense of humor but can also be sweet.

My Husband is a Housewife
Updates may be slim on this one, it got licensed recently. It plays around with gender roles a bit, but mostly it's comedy/slice of life with a newly married couple.

Glad you're reading Kawaii Hito already, I really love that one :3

e: you might join us in the shoujo thread if you aren't hanging out in there already

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 6, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Everything Burrito posted:

Couples in relationships + adult characters:

Tonari wa Nani o Kuu Hito zo - Horoyoi
This is actually a sequel but the first part is more of a cooking/slice of life thing that doesn't really get that romantic until almost at the end, and imo the sequel can stand alone as its own thing but it does expect that you already know all the characters. It's still cooking/slice of life but it's also a couple living together and figuring that out + joining the workforce and all that young adult post-college stuff. Very chill and low-key also.

Mobuko's Love is a workplace/college-age setting and extremely cute and earnest so if you aren't already reading it you should check it out. The couple is still sort of fumbling toward getting together but they're trying their best :kimchi:

I'm Nearly 30, But This Is My First Love
Just what it says on the tin. Working adults who are kind of late bloomers in their first relationship and figuring out how it all works. It's really cute and also has very good supporting characters!

Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini
Comedy/slice of life with a couple who have started living together. Another one that's pretty low-key, it has kind of a dry sense of humor but can also be sweet.

My Husband is a Housewife
Updates may be slim on this one, it got licensed recently. It plays around with gender roles a bit, but mostly it's comedy/slice of life with a newly married couple.

Glad you're reading Kawaii Hito already, I really love that one :3

e: you might join us in the shoujo thread if you aren't hanging out in there already

That fourth one is the one I was talking about. I'll post some descriptions for the ones I posted as well.

doomrider7 posted:

Yandere Kanojo is my insta-rec. I'll post more as I come up with them.

Yandere Kanojo - Uber affectionate delinquent girl and honors student secretly date with hilarious results.

Wotakoi - Functional Adult otaku romance.

Kekkon Shitemo Koishiteru - Happily Married Life The Manga.

Bonnouji - Girl coming off a messy breakup starts to hang out with apartment neighbor who's room is basically a storage museum of weird stuff from his brother.

This Girl is not Just Cute - Meek herbivore of a guy with terrible luck and maxed out purity and good boy stats dates cute and tough as nails girl.

Ore Monogatari - Takeo Gouda is The Man we should all strive to be in life.

Lovely Complex - HS the manga. Lots of goofy awkward romance ad comedy ensues.

Kawai Hito - Guy with fierce looking face who's a big softy meets

Kimi ni Todoke - Girl who looks like Sadako becomes friends with the most popular guy in school. It's very nice.

Taisho Otome Otogibanashi - Historical romance in 1920's Japan. It's really, really good. Yuzu is the UBER WAIFU.

There was another one about a couple living together. A guy with a tired/bored looking face who was 3 years younger than the last. First chapter was about pudding theft. Futari Ashitamo Sorenarini

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'So, Wanna Go Out, Or' has the characters asking each other out in the first chapter and goes from there. And it's set in college.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

If you haven't read Bonnouji yet read that.

I FREAKING LOVED BONNOUJI. It was like Solanin in the whole "man, I'm grown and have no aim anymore, what am I supposed to do?" sense but Aki Eda owns bones.

Wotakoi as well, so drat good. One of those instances where the anime was as good as if not better than the manga. I liked Ore Monogatari but found it just kinda didn't do much, not sure why.

I'll throw out a recommendation in the same vein: My Perfect Girlfriend. It's got a dynamic between the lead characters that's extremely close to a very real, Not Stereotypical Manga Japanese couple. They make bad jokes, get cutesy, and really seem to enjoy each other's company without being lovey-dovey. It's so real.

Thanks tons for the recommendations, I am checking them out over time! I'm not much of an overall shoujo fan but I'll check the thread out at some point.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MJP posted:

I FREAKING LOVED BONNOUJI. It was like Solanin in the whole "man, I'm grown and have no aim anymore, what am I supposed to do?" sense but Aki Eda owns bones.

Wotakoi as well, so drat good. One of those instances where the anime was as good as if not better than the manga. I liked Ore Monogatari but found it just kinda didn't do much, not sure why.

I'll throw out a recommendation in the same vein: My Perfect Girlfriend. It's got a dynamic between the lead characters that's extremely close to a very real, Not Stereotypical Manga Japanese couple. They make bad jokes, get cutesy, and really seem to enjoy each other's company without being lovey-dovey. It's so real.

Thanks tons for the recommendations, I am checking them out over time! I'm not much of an overall shoujo fan but I'll check the thread out at some point.

I second this. It is indeed cute, goofy, and funny.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 6, 2019

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

That's because it's sorta auto biographical. It's the mangaka's exaggerated tale of his life with his girlfriend.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

'So, Wanna Go Out, Or' has the characters asking each other out in the first chapter and goes from there. And it's set in college.

This has been on my lost for a while now. Reminds me of this one a bit.

https://mangadex.org/title/7275/rakuen-no-jouken

I also found this other one recently and its been cute so far.

https://mangadex.org/title/42490/hanging-out-with-a-gamer-girl

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

MJP posted:

I'm not much of an overall shoujo fan but I'll check the thread out at some point.

tbh there is very little actual shoujo getting posted, content currently leans more toward the "& Romance" part of the thread title

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone here read Jisatsutou(Suicide Island)? Love the premise, I read a few chapters when it was new but it was a bit slow so I fell off it. I want to kinda go back to it, after I finish Uzumaki.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Looking for some over the top action/violence but Id like to avoid the grim/dark side that is typically associated with the genre.

Basically something like Big Trouble in Little China, but anime.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for some over the top action/violence but Id like to avoid the grim/dark side that is typically associated with the genre.

Kimetsu no Yaiba is pretty solid on this front.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ulio posted:

Anyone here read Jisatsutou(Suicide Island)? Love the premise, I read a few chapters when it was new but it was a bit slow so I fell off it. I want to kinda go back to it, after I finish Uzumaki.
It gets extremely, extremely stupid and I eventually dropped it around the time the protagonist and his new girlfriend hosed off to some other part of the island while there was a psychopath serial killer running a group of rapists and murderers opposing the original crew

I can only imagine it got dumber from there because I think it's still going, the original premise and first couple arcs were interesting but it kinda fell off a cliff in quality for me after a point. Also, I think there's a trans character who is...not handled well. Memory's hazy since I dropped it years ago though.

And iirc there's some survival tips that would straight up get you killed since some of the plants it suggests as scavenging food are actually poisonous lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

Dead Leaves is an hour of over-the-top prison jailbreak.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Furnaceface posted:

Maybe you'd enjoy the movie Redline? Not exactly violence but boy is it pretty and action-packed, and the animation is gloriously stylish, some of my favorite ever, even if the story is kind of crap.

And depending on your style tastes, maybe you'd also enjoy Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt. Dub or sub is fine, sub has Japanese voice actresses screaming poo poo and gently caress all the time, while the English one has US voice actresses doing the same and clearly reveling in it. It's fun, stupid, and often has a good amount of comedic action.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 8, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I watch random anime and documentaries while waiting for my son's school bus, and I'm having trouble figuring out what to pick up now that I'm wrapping up 72 Dangerous Animals: Asia, because there's just a whole bunch of options. My streaming option is just Netflix, because it's the only one that currently cooperates with my lovely rural satellite connection and my phone (I don't have internet on my phone besides Wi-Fi).

I like shounen that isn't a million episodes long (so nothing like Bleach or Naruto), magical girl, philosophical, and horror. I'm open to just about anything, though, and am really just looking for something good and short-ish available on Netflix, that is suitable for one or two episodes each in the morning and the afternoon. I save Netflix for that time period mostly since Crunchyroll and Hulu actually work on my PC, so something relatively compact, but a full story, which I can't really tell from just the summaries Netflix gives.

I've recently watched/rewatched and (mostly) enjoyed Ouran High School Host Club, The Disastrous Life of Saiki K., Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Madoka, The Devil is a Part-Timer, Evangelion, Kill la Kill, Kakegurui, 7 Seeds (mad 'bout that cliffhanger, though), Death Note, Saint Seiya, and Castlevania. Also watched Children of the Whales, but wasn't terribly enthused by it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Haikyuu is ongoing volleyball shounen but they’ve only got 50 eps up on Netflix now if that helps

Code Geass is also 50 eps and hooked me in the same way Death note did for being amazingly easy to binge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you're gonna want to watch Little Witch Academia.

Also watch ERASED and March Comes in Like a Lion if you're into dramas, they're both exceptional. ERASED is about a man who is trying to solve a series of murders that happened when he was in elementary school, and March Comes in Like a Lion is an incredible drama about a young shogi player who is dealing with some SERIOUS emotional issues, and handles them in a profoundly powerful way. It is also often extremely cute because of the family he gets to know.

If you liked Kill la Kill(it was made by a bunch of the people who worked on this), or just love giant robots in general, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a sure-fire hit. The stakes are ever-rising, the mech designs are wonderfully goofy but awesome at the same time(faces on EVERYTHING), and the animation is great most of the time.

One Punch Man should definitely be on your watch list as well, it's about a dude named Saitama who can defeat anything with a single punch. Way more interesting than it sounds. And it's one of the most gloriously animated series in ages. Some of the fights are insanely well animated, like seriously.

I hear the second season is lackluster though.