Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Ask for a provisional ballot. My registration isnt technically valid until election day but I could vote no problem during early voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zoux posted:

gently caress it he should just run for Senate. I mean, it's not a stupider idea than his run for President.

Ahaha actually he should run for TX 21

That would be pretty lol.

A shame Wendy Davis' establishment grift likely has it on lock. Can't wait to see how much money consultants make to watch her get blown out by high double digits.

Watching the TX-21 Indivisible facebook group it's clear that dogbrained liberal boomers are falling in line behind her.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Kind of last minute, but are there any Houston City Council people I should absolutely vote for? I'm gonna check LWV but sometimes the best candidate doesn't always give the best answer to a specific question and it gives a limited impression of where each candidate stands on all the issues. I know DSA is endorsing Ashton but I haven't heard much else.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

yellowyams posted:

Kind of last minute, but are there any Houston City Council people I should absolutely vote for? I'm gonna check LWV but sometimes the best candidate doesn't always give the best answer to a specific question and it gives a limited impression of where each candidate stands on all the issues. I know DSA is endorsing Ashton but I haven't heard much else.

This was my slate for City elections - will differ from DSA in some respects - happy to go in further detail if you want me too.

Mayor: Turner (didn't feel good about it, but Buzbee and King must be kept out of the Mayor's seat)
At-Large 1: Raj Salhotra (young Mayor Pete type - all resume - TFA, Harvard Law School, but running against an incumbent who is a MAGA Cop)
At-Large 2: David Robinson (incumbent - urbanist, architect by trade)
At-Large 3: Janeya Caramouche (running against incumbent racist Santa Claus bail bondsman who managed to get support from african american pastors in the past cause he hates gay people a lot - She is extremely smart and has worked in city and county government for a long time)
At-Large 4: Nick Hellyar (YMMV - do whatever the gently caress you want here, I went with young GLBT vs. old GLBT (Baldwin - who is probably more responsible for the gentrification of the Heights than any other single individual))
At-Large 5: Sallie Alcorn (Ashton would be bad at this, Sallie is a rich as gently caress older white lady but has her poo poo together in a way that Ashton does not)
District H (my district): Isabel Longoria (my personal favorite candidate running - actual activist (sure I'll gatekeep this poo poo), turned the AARP from an org for stodgy old white conservatives to one that is focused on working with and developing programs for poor and minority elderly people using money from stodgy old white conservatives)

The ones that I'm following but can't vote in:
Dist C: Abbie Kamin - Civil Rights Lawyer - did the right thing after law school. She works for the ADL and is generally a good person.
Dist D: Travis McGee - He just needs to be in some sort of position of power - consummate community activist, 2nd favorite candidate behind Longoria
Dist B: Tarsha Jackson - Worked for TOP which is one of the best electoral organizations in the country - she should be in power somewhere

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 5, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol houston has at-large city council seats

this was how west austin controlled the council until districting (it should be PR by party list)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i say swears online posted:

this was how west austin controlled the council until districting (it should be PR by party list)

Does Houston have a "gentleman's agreement" segregating the at-large seats like Austin did?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Houston originally had district council members only through the old ward system (there was a rep from 1st ward, 2nd ward etc...) - but in the early 20th century, people began worried that the 3rd ward would elect a Black ward representative and 2nd ward would elect a Latino etc..., so they moved to all at-large council members to be racist.

When the VRA was passed, the City of Houston was sued and in the settlement they split it into district and at-large seats. Currently there are 5 at-large members and 11 district council members.

However, none of that actually matters because the Mayor controls everything and Councilmembers don't even have the power to place items on the agenda to be voted on - it all flows through the Mayor. So unless we somehow end up with a majority conservative council (which will never happen thanks to districts holding a majority with only 3/11 as conservative districts), the Mayor just gets to do whatever they want, which is why it's so disappointing there wasn't a legitimate challenger to Turner.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Does Houston have a "gentleman's agreement" segregating the at-large seats like Austin did?

They did for awhile - but then it kind of died off in the 2000s when people thought it was stupid and just started running for whatever.

At large 3 used to be the "black" seat and is now occupied by a racist old bail bondsman.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Well Pletka is the only candidate who even answered the LWV questionnaire for district G but her answer seemed kind of not good. Should I just abstain? Seems like a waste. Both of the Houston Controller options seem pretty bad too. Is one less bad than the other?

e: I'm going with Tiko Hausman for at-large 4 because Hellyar's response is actually one of the worst I've seen, "we need to place more police on the streets" is immediately disqualifying.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 5, 2019

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

yellowyams posted:

Well Pletka is the only candidate who even answered the LWV questionnaire for district G but her answer seemed kind of not good. Should I just abstain? Seems like a waste. Both of the Houston Controller options seem pretty bad too. Is one less bad than the other?

e: I'm going with Tiko Hausman for at-large 4 because Hellyar's response is actually one of the worst I've seen, "we need to place more police on the streets" is immediately disqualifying.

Controller is just a straight D v R race.

Chris Brown is a D with aspirations of becoming Mayor in 2023.

Orlando Sanchez is just your generic lovely R.

I think, but am not sure, but Dist G has Greg Travis, lovely loving conservative with an opponent trying to get him from the right. I would undervote that race (my parents undervoted in District E for that same reason).

E: Tiko is cool, her kids are the same age and go go school with my nieces, so I've met her a few times over the years. Very climate oriented, extremely PTA mom.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 5, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/asherprice/status/1191765798504849410

Whoa, there's nothing on that ballot that would drive this turnout, these are just engaged and excited voters.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Twenty-five minute wait in north central Austin at 10:30, maybe we'll crack double digit turnout!

The good news for 2020 is the new machines are fast and the checkin process is easy. Hopefully they keep lines short in 2020.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

The place I went to early vote in San Antonio last week had the new hybrid electronic/paper ballot voting machines. Are those all over the state now, or are they still being rolled out? I much prefer the new machines, mostly because I'm a paranoiac who doesn't trust computers and wants a clear paper trail... but I also wonder if they'll make for a slightly faster process once people get used to them, they seem to require less active involvement from the polling location staffers than the old machines.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Blotto_Otter posted:

The place I went to early vote in San Antonio last week had the new hybrid electronic/paper ballot voting machines. Are those all over the state now, or are they still being rolled out? I much prefer the new machines, mostly because I'm a paranoiac who doesn't trust computers and wants a clear paper trail... but I also wonder if they'll make for a slightly faster process once people get used to them, they seem to require less active involvement from the polling location staffers than the old machines.

We have them in Tarrant County.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Same dumb proto-pad thing with the spinny wheel as the rest of this decade over here in Harris Co.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

dalstrs posted:

We have them in Tarrant County.

I ran into these for the first time today, and our wait was unexpectedly long compared to past years because they hadn't quite figured out how to best hustle people through check-in, receiving a ballot, and feeding the ballot reader. Our wait was around 25 minutes. However, our voting location had at least 100 people pass through in the time it took me to cast a ballot and like other places, we only had the 10 amendments and 1 bond for TCC. 2020 is going to be :dogcited:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'm up in the panhandle and can confirm there's an oddly giant line to vote in the election today. Weird but exciting?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I voted at the same elementary school for the third or fourth time in a row and had the same <5 minute wait as always.

We had the new hybrid machines here as well (Collin County), I liked them.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Voted early the other week. Brazos has new touch screen only machines this year. No spinny wheel bullshit. They still suck because theres no paper backup for these at all.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Hawkline posted:

I ran into these for the first time today, and our wait was unexpectedly long compared to past years because they hadn't quite figured out how to best hustle people through check-in, receiving a ballot, and feeding the ballot reader. Our wait was around 25 minutes. However, our voting location had at least 100 people pass through in the time it took me to cast a ballot and like other places, we only had the 10 amendments and 1 bond for TCC. 2020 is going to be :dogcited:

No wait in NE Tarrant either. Of course, this red area has a ton of polling locations, I think the polling location I went to is 3 blocks from another polling location (in the suburbs).

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Voted early the other week. Brazos has new touch screen only machines this year. No spinny wheel bullshit. They still suck because theres no paper backup for these at all.

They didn't do the blank paper that it prints on with you? I really thought it was statewide.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BeeDotMartin/status/1191843929739743232

Huh.

Also IIRC they passed a law requiring the new machines but exempted some counties that couldn't feasibly accomplish that goal by today (Harris for example)

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
I wonder if the long lines is only because they removed tons of polling stations? It's easy to get the illusion of long lines if those voters had to use one locations instead of the 5 locations they would've used in the past.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Luckyellow posted:

I wonder if the long lines is only because they removed tons of polling stations? It's easy to get the illusion of long lines if those voters had to use one locations instead of the 5 locations they would've used in the past.

Louisiana had its biggest day if early voting ever. The chuds are fired up for some reason.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Just got done voting. Whole lotta olds, definitely felt like the youngest person there. Harris County so we had the same electric ballots as always. Also it wasn't in the usual place, it was the school they make us go to on slow years. There was a line but I was waiting less than a minute before I could go up and get my id checked.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Denton (county?) has the paper + scaner combo as well. In and out in 5 minutes for city bonds and the constitutional amendments.

an off-off year election, woooooooooooo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

amendment 4 gonna pass 3 to 1 lol

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Looking like only prop 1 is gonna fail. Were there really lots of impassioned voters against prop 1 of all things?

EDIT: 9 looks close too, actually

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

9 is about as close as i've seen for an amendment vote but still looks like it'll squeak through

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FBS posted:

amendment 4 gonna pass 3 to 1 lol

This stupid state. I wonder how many people were confused by the wording.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

dalstrs posted:

They didn't do the blank paper that it prints on with you? I really thought it was statewide.

Nope. We're really special.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pflugerville mayoral race at 51-49, dem slightly leading the lovely libertarian. ugh this is gonna be close

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Someone in Baytown won with 69 votes according to KHOU right now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Louisiana had its biggest day if early voting ever. The chuds are fired up for some reason.

It ain’t the chuds

https://mobile.twitter.com/williamjordann/status/1191937856735993857

Congrats to KY on their new Democratic Governor. VA flipped both their houses D. People are loving mad or sick of it and want to vote

People got so caught up in the salacious details of the MQS tape that everyone just glossed over the fact that state GOP internal polling had Trump -15 in Garland. God forbid I ever hope for a goddamn good thing to happen in politics but it sure seems like state Republicans are going to get bodied in a year

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

UPDATE YOUR RESULTS PFLUGERVILLE MY GOD

only two precincts reporting for 2.5 hours now

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

UPDATE YOUR RESULTS PFLUGERVILLE MY GOD

only two precincts reporting for 2.5 hours now

I'm sure you know by now but if you don't Gonzales won pretty handily.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

All the extra turnout didn't do poo poo in passing even one good amendment. Every amendment vote came out on the site of dumbasses. I hate this loving state sometimes

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

This stupid state. I wonder how many people were confused by the wording.

My wife told me she heard one of the hip hop radio stations telling everyone it was a vote for/against an income tax on her way in to work and all the chuds in my office were saying the same so I would say drat near everyone voted on prop 4 thinking it was something else.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Mayor Turner got forced into a runoff with an opponent who gave a speech last night while clearly hammered and in a camo shirt.

Fuckin Dwight Boykins man.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sab0921 posted:

Mayor Turner got forced into a runoff with an opponent who gave a speech last night while clearly hammered and in a camo shirt.

Fuckin Dwight Boykins man.

we can only hope without Boykins loving things up and with a lot of the more establishment-y republicans likely staying home tony won't pull this poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comrayn posted:

My wife told me she heard one of the hip hop radio stations telling everyone it was a vote for/against an income tax on her way in to work and all the chuds in my office were saying the same so I would say drat near everyone voted on prop 4 thinking it was something else.

https://twitter.com/andreazelinski/status/1192129475485540352

This is how it's framed so

Take heart though, there is zero practical effect or consequence, it was a meaningless thing.

From the above story about "no income tax"

quote:

Republicans in the state campaigned heavily for Proposition 4, calling it a symbolic gesture demonstrating Texans’ commitment to a low-tax economy. The measure requires any income tax to pass the Legislature with a two-thirds majority of lawmakers and then be approved in a referendum — a very high threshold.

Still, Democrats called it a waste of time in a state that has proven averse to an income tax, which under current law could be adopted with a statewide referendum.