Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK the end of the Sublight quest chain was decent enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

idgi what does the text mean

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Thats breaking my brain it makes no sense

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
goons dont know memes at all

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

JBP posted:

meme where the thing 'at home' is a discount fake version of what you wanted

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've never seen this meme. Sounds funny.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Not

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

ok boomer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think it's a reference to the McDonald's alignment chart

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone else's game crashing during The City and the Stars quest? I interact with anything and the game just silently crashes to desktop.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only memes I like are the ones where trump is Photoshopped to be the emperor character from Warhammer 40,000

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

did anyone bother maxing weapon skills? i was thinking of just getting all skills to 50 since combat is pretty easy.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It would be better if it was

Me: can we stop at the store and get New Vegas?

Epic Store: We have New Vegas at home

New vegas at home:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There's something especially off-putting that this entire setting seems contrived to justify a Malthusian catastrophe as a legitimate dilemma

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Game reviewers compared Bioshock Infinite to Citizen Kane. Game reviewers are goddamn morons.

The opening and like first 2-4 hours of Bioshock Infinite are amazing and make you want to know more about the beautiful, elaborate world they made.

Shortly after that theres a sequence about jumping around universes that is so muddled you start to wonder if they understood their own story. Then they infamously drop 'actually slaves who revolt are just as bad as slaveowners', and you find out the twist which is that the villain is you but with a different voice actor because ummmmm portal radiation changes your voice okay??

Then you have a boss fight against a bunch of freed slaves and a gigantic bird from twenty hours earlier in the game that you almost certainly forgot about. Then you walk down hallways for about 90 minutes while the game talks at you, then credits.

So I guess I'm saying that's the first time I realized game reviewers don't even make it past the tutorial before writing a review sometimes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

It would be better if it was

Me: can we stop at the store and get New Vegas?

Epic Store: We have New Vegas at home

New vegas at home:

No you have to say epic store because the epic store is bad and you have to tell everyone it's bad

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

JBP posted:

I've never seen this meme. Sounds funny.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also apparently there wasn't alternate dialogue so even though the Sublight quest chain explains the main dilemma, when I encountered it again on the main quest all my companions (the same ones who heard the previous dialogue and commented on it) were super surprised like they heard it for the first time

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ASenileAnimal posted:

did anyone bother maxing weapon skills? i was thinking of just getting all skills to 50 since combat is pretty easy.
If you don't respec out of it, then 10 more points into Long Guns would be a worthwhile splurge.

While I didn't go for more than 20ish, 60 Long Guns would actually be fun because that gets you +20% headshot damage, instead of "10% armor penetration with handguns! *PS this is meaningless on all handguns but the Revolvers* or "You reload heavy weapons faster!"

That said, I do like that the reason anti sway or reload speed buffs are useless, are because they give you great accuracy and reload speeds by default. Instead of the common trend of "45 degree bullets is REALISTIC GUNPLAY! Please insert coin for viable hipfire"

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The game really has crashing problems in the latter parts. Once you're deep into Monarch and get sent back&forth around the solar system for companion/faction quests, every loading screen is like rolling the dice. At least on my system.

That said, Monarch is beefy and I'm glad I stuck around to do it. The beginning at Edgewater is practically an insult, and the Groundbreaker was ehh.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 6, 2019

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I know everyone's dunking on the confusing meme and this isnt the right thread for it but I really wanna emphasize how terrible Bioshock Infinite is

Like I've never played a game that dropped from 10/10 to 1/10 so thoroughly (for comparison TOW was 9/10 during the delightful character creation bits and dropped to 7/10 during the tutorial and has stayed there ever since)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I went from having four crashes, to having constant, repeatable crashes in this zone. Like, show stopping bug crashes.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Section Z posted:

If you don't respec out of it, then 10 more points into Long Guns would be a worthwhile splurge.

While I didn't go for more than 20ish, 60 Long Guns would actually be fun because that gets you +20% headshot damage, instead of "10% armor penetration with handguns! *PS this is meaningless on all handguns but the Revolvers* or "You reload heavy weapons faster!"

That said, I do like that the reason anti sway or reload speed buffs are useless, are because they give you great accuracy and reload speeds by default. Instead of the common trend of "45 degree bullets is REALISTIC GUNPLAY! Please insert coin for viable hipfire"

im probably going to take long guns to 60 but my current strategy of going full heavy weapons/armor and giving both of my companions grenade launchers is steamrolling everything

edit: space gorilla launcher would be nice

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I went from having four crashes, to having constant, repeatable crashes in this zone. Like, show stopping bug crashes.

Yup it's a Obsidian game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ASenileAnimal posted:

im probably going to take long guns to 60 but my current strategy of going full heavy weapons/armor and giving both of my companions grenade launchers is steamrolling everything

edit: space gorilla launcher would be nice
Remember to slap a shock mod or something Not Plasma onto your personal machinegun if you haven't yet.

Sure, you have more ammo than god by (and thanks to) Monarch. But you will notice the difference in stuff like mantis queens. "Oh boy, 100 bullets in one container!" *Fires 87 umnodded LMG MK2 bullets into Mantis queen* "Hmm, maybe +Ammo wasn't the most helpful choice"

Not hoarding my mods also makes deaths more cartoonish. Marauders spend more time in their electrocution death animation than they spend being shot at :v:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

etalian posted:

Yup it's a Obsidian game

Designed for consoles... Like every game in the past 15+ years.

Lol none of these bugs exist on console. Sounds like hardware compatibility or driver issue which is expected to a certain extent on basically every PC game considering the near unlimited configurations that the system can be running with.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

JBP posted:

It's a McDonald's joke. Remember that old Eddie Murphy bit from the 80s where he was talking about his mother refusing to buy him McDonalds as a kid by saying she could make a better burger and then she cooked up some awful crud that made the other kids laugh at him? It's that but as a joke template.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Covok posted:

It's a McDonald's joke. Remember that old Eddie Murphy bit from the 80s where he was talking about his mother refusing to buy him McDonalds as a kid by saying she could make a better burger and then she cooked up some awful crud that made the other kids laugh at him? It's that but as a joke template.

Oh yeah I remember that joke.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The only thing that worked was dismissing my companions and doing that section of the quest solo.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I paid $60 for this game. Why did I pay $60 for this game. This isn't a $20 game. I know this, because that's what I paid for DE.

On a bright side, I have not experienced any crashes, falling through the world, or other completely game breaking bugs yet (because I haven't gotten to the end lmao). On the other hand, I did accidentally discover an infinite item dupe glitch, so that's cool. I also didn't even bother to abuse it, because there's literally no compelling reason to bother. That sums up my TOW experience.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Beat the game, finale was anticlimactic as hell. I spoiled myself on some of the ending slide stupidity from earlier in the thread but still encountered a lot of dumb writing issues...

They talk about being alone after Earth going dark but I'm pretty sure there was mention that there were other colonies and Halcyon was only unique for being fully corporate? It's mentioned in passing in one slide but it seems like other colonies should play a major factor?

Groundbreaker derived its importance from being the port of call for Earth import/exports? In a famine scenario and isolated from earth, if the other colonies aren't a major factor how does it maintain its importance?

Why was Rockwell holed up on the prison planet with an elaborate hostage scenario with Welles? How did all my allies know to suddenly storm this secret prison planet all at the same time? What was the point of all that

Like what the gently caress was this colony producing or exporting anyway, all the products you encounter are basic consumer goods and guns that seem like not worth the opportunity cost to go off earth. This does not seem to bear an understanding of the real-world pressures and incentives for colonialism

The ending slides are all over the place about the Board existing or not (I killed the two main leaders), switching from slide to slide

This was worth the $5 subscription I paid I guess, and as a benchmark to look back on for milquetoast centrism trying to find the truth in the middle in a real-life moment of political struggle and ecological collapse

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 6, 2019

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Section Z posted:

Remember to slap a shock mod or something Not Plasma onto your personal machinegun if you haven't yet.

Sure, you have more ammo than god by (and thanks to) Monarch. But you will notice the difference in stuff like mantis queens. "Oh boy, 100 bullets in one container!" *Fires 87 umnodded LMG MK2 bullets into Mantis queen* "Hmm, maybe +Ammo wasn't the most helpful choice"

Not hoarding my mods also makes deaths more cartoonish. Marauders spend more time in their electrocution death animation than they spend being shot at :v:

i have plasma on it right now but im gonna try out shock. the flamethrower which manages to suck in every game is also surprisingly great too. im glad you can main heavy guns right off the bat and its not one of those games where it sucks until youre near max level and endgame.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Has there been a patch to up the font size and maybe fix the inventory overlay that blocks the view of the next items yet?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ZZZorcerer posted:

This is what I feel like a completely average game. So...

It's not the best, it's Gamer's Choice

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So finally after 45 hours beat the game, those last two levels being super crashy put a damper on my enjoyment but otherwise I had fun with it. Pro-Phinias.

Doubtful I'll do another playthrough like this (I generally don't replay games) but it was fun and I don't feel stilted from the $52 i spent.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This is the first Obsidian game I've had no wish to replay (well outside Tyranny which I never finished because I chose the wrong path and the game basically stopped me being able to talk to people) which is pretty damning imo. I did enjoy the run though, it was a fine game but probably a $40aud top price rather than the $69 I paid.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I had fun with it for a crisp $1 bill, I could see myself replaying it if it comes on steam eventually. It's not perfect and it feels too much like fallout but the characters and story were all fun, if a bit short for a game like this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I finished it with an empty pending quest log, glad to be done with it. Won't play it again unless they do some major overhauls of the progression sytem. Total playtime was 28 hours.