Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MourningView posted:

Minnesota hasn't played a team with its original starting QB since like week 4

Not having their original starting QB would probably help Michigan's chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MourningView posted:

I think it's more that OSU is beating the absolute poo poo out of everyone they play. They're ranked 1st by the majority of computer polls too and I assume those are not using the eye test

We've all seen this show before.

I mean I'm not mad, I love watching OSU get blown out in big games.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

I love watching OSU get blown out in big games.

Very much same

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MourningView posted:

I think it's more that OSU is beating the absolute poo poo out of everyone they play. They're ranked 1st by the majority of computer polls too and I assume those are not using the eye test

I think "we watched them and they looked dominant running roughshod over mostly bad teams" qualifies as eye test and hits the same notes that MoV does for the algorithms.

I don't even disagree with the ranking, their offense is good and they've got maybe the best defensive player in college. But the aren't at number 1 based on strength of schedule.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Lot of hubris displayed by Minnesota fans right now

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
We've reached the point where we can get embarrassed by Will Muschamp and still be in the playoff conversation three weeks later.

I'm so proud

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
well it was nice to be ranked for two weeks

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think "we watched them and they looked dominant running roughshod over mostly bad teams" qualifies as eye test and hits the same notes that MoV does for the algorithms.

I don't even disagree with the ranking, their offense is good and they've got maybe the best defensive player in college. But the aren't at number 1 based on strength of schedule.

If the ranking is entirely strength of schedule then welcome to the playoff South Carolina. How you play is also important.

iwentdoodie posted:

We've all seen this show before.

I mean I'm not mad, I love watching OSU get blown out in big games.

They've been in the playoff twice and won it once so?

By recruiting rankings they have about as much talent as anyone, including the best player in college football on defense and a Heisman candidate QB. They are really loving good. Blowing overmatched teams out is a thing that good teams do.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 6, 2019

downout
Jul 6, 2009

MourningView posted:

Minnesota hasn't played a team with its starting QB since like week 4

Michigan was struggling to score more than 20 points at that point in their season against anyone with a pulse. Minnesota might have given them a run with any kind of quality execution. I haven't watched Minnesota closely, so I'll be interested to see if they can score against PSU.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

If the ranking is entirely strength of schedule then welcome to the playoff South Carolina

Well, I didn't make the SoS argument in the first place, but generally when people say that it's shorthand for performing well against a strong schedule, not beating Georgia but losing to everyone else.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

downout posted:

Michigan was struggling to score more than 20 points at that point in their season against anyone with a pulse. Minnesota might have given them a run with any kind of quality execution. I haven't watched Minnesota closely, so I'll be interested to see if they can score against PSU.

Minnesota likes to run so that doesn't bode well for them, but they do have a couple of awesome wideouts who can make something out of nothing.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Shame on all of you for not emptyquoting this post

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
K-State at 16, gently caress yeah. Top 15 when we demolish Texas in Austin on Saturday.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The 20s rankings is now known as AAC Aalley

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Two haunting 2am thoughts.

Remember when A&M was fourth for like thirty seconds in 2016?

And, there's a nonzero chance our big dumb president gets onto GameDay. And that my friends is when GameDay officially dies

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

MourningView posted:

Minnesota hasn't played a team with its starting QB since like week 4

And they knocked him (and Rondale Moore) out of the game.

Sucks for IU that their Penix is so soft again this year.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Strobe posted:

K-State at 16, gently caress yeah. Top 15 when we demolish Texas in Austin on Saturday.

texas really is doomed to be nothing more than A Quality Win

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wernox posted:

And they knocked him (and Rondale Moore) out of the game.

Sucks for IU that their Penix is so soft again this year.

I was including Purdue as one of the teams without the starter so since week 3 (I forget the big ten only has 3 noncon games now)! Weird that they finally started winning games without needing a late fourth quarter comeback right around the time they ran into an insane streak of opponent injury luck.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Rankings turned out to be pretty drat close to what I was expecting, with the exception of psu

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/RFootball/status/1192061161849729026?s=19

If they played this game today Princeton would win by at least 2 scores

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

MourningView posted:

I was including Purdue as one of the teams without the starter so since week 3 (I forget the big ten only has 3 noncon games now)! Weird that they finally started winning games without needing a late fourth quarter comeback right around the time they ran into an insane streak of opponent injury luck.

They also played a string of games against teams with absolutely abysmal defenses. I haven't seen Nebraska much this year, but their defense looked pretty horrid against Minnesota. I don't want to say too much and risk jinxing it, but Minnesota hasn't played a team that has even one unit that is even remotely in the ball park as Penn State. Especially on defense. Going to be interesting seeing how mobile their 400 pound lineman is against one of our DEs.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

We've reached the point where we can get embarrassed by Will Muschamp and still be in the playoff conversation three weeks later.

I'm so proud

I've been a UGA fan since 2001 and I'm pretty sure SCAR '19 is the dumbest loss UGA's had this century. I don't think anything comes remotely close.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Komet posted:

Lot of hubris displayed by Minnesota fans right now
I would love to be surprised and blow out Minnesota but I just don't think that's going to happen. Luckily, a friend is hosting a party starting at 2pm so I don't have to remember the end of the game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

They also played a string of games against teams with absolutely abysmal defenses. I haven't seen Nebraska much this year, but their defense looked pretty horrid against Minnesota. I don't want to say too much and risk jinxing it, but Minnesota hasn't played a team that has even one unit that is even remotely in the ball park as Penn State. Especially on defense. Going to be interesting seeing how mobile their 400 pound lineman is against one of our DEs.

I'm pretty sure South Dakota State is the best team they've played so far and they dominated Minnesota up front. Like I'm willing to believe Minnesota has genuinely improved since then but there are a lot of reasons to be skeptical about them given the schedule and circumstances. They have a chance to shut people up the next three weeks though.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 6, 2019

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
It would be cool and good if Minnesota spent November in a headlock.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope the goofers win

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
The Huskers are mercifully on a bye week so I'm taking the family to Fargo to visit the in-laws. My father-in-law is taking me to my first NDSU Bison game. Anyone ever been? Do people tailgate? It'll be above freezing there for most of Saturday so hopefully it's not too miserable. Although admittedly, feeling miserable during a football game has a familiar comforting effect for me.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Seaniqua posted:

The Huskers are mercifully on a bye week so I'm taking the family to Fargo to visit the in-laws. My father-in-law is taking me to my first NDSU Bison game. Anyone ever been? Do people tailgate? It'll be above freezing there for most of Saturday so hopefully it's not too miserable. Although admittedly, feeling miserable during a football game has a familiar comforting effect for me.

There is definitely plenty of tailgating and usually lots of things going on. I guess if you get cold you could just head into the dome and be comfortable. Enjoy the massacre.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Metapod posted:

I hope the goofers win

I hope Goldy shows up to Gameday anyway...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

downout posted:

I'd also quibble with their Minnesota and Iowa rankings because Iowa has played absolutely no one.

Iowa got a pretty good road win against Iowa State

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Coco13 posted:

It would be cool and good if Minnesota spent November in a headlock.

They finally play teams with a pulse.. so 8-4/9-3 here they come.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
the first playoff rankings are almost always dumb and bad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

They finally play teams with a pulse.. so 8-4/9-3 here they come.

8-4 would be very funny but Northwestern is way too bad and is going to gently caress it up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mactheknife posted:

the first playoff rankings are almost always dumb and bad

Ohio State over LSU is weird but overall I think they did alright.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I had kind of assumed that one reason that Gameday chose not to go to Minnesota is that ESPN is banking on a playoff elimination game in two weeks with PSU @ OSU (and they already covered one Penn State game already). But it was just announced that PSU @ OSU is going to be noon on Fox with Fox doing their own Gameday ripoff on campus.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
who cares alabama's gonna beat lsu 69-0 and win their 400th national championship roll tide

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

PostNouveau posted:

Ohio State over LSU is weird but overall I think they did alright.

PSU at 4 is pretty weird imho

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Komet posted:

I had kind of assumed that one reason that Gameday chose not to go to Minnesota is that ESPN is banking on a playoff elimination game in two weeks with PSU @ OSU (and they already covered one Penn State game already). But it was just announced that PSU @ OSU is going to be noon on Fox with Fox doing their own Gameday ripoff on campus.

A noon game, really?

Ugh

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A noon game, really?

Ugh

Fox decided that they can't compete with ESPN's primetime and CBS's mid-afternoon slots, so they are trying to take the noon time slot over completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Is Urban gonna be at the OSU Faux Gameday?

That could be unintentionally hilarious.