Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
and meanwhile capitalism has determined that the optimal use of housing in many large urban centres is to sit empty accumulating value for overseas investors, or to be used as short-term airbnb rental housing for rich tourists lmao just lmao at how our lovely civilization deals with climate change the same way it deals with all other problems, by just shaving off the unlucky parts of society and deciding we don't care what happens to them as long as the rest of us keep living comfortably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

and meanwhile capitalism has determined that the optimal use of housing in many large urban centres is to sit empty accumulating value for overseas investors, or to be used as short-term airbnb rental housing for rich tourists lmao just lmao at how our lovely civilization deals with climate change the same way it deals with all other problems, by just shaving off the unlucky parts of society and deciding we don't care what happens to them as long as the rest of us keep living comfortably

This is just a long winded way of saying "the middle class and those working hard to join the middle class"

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Man if only a there was a book or something about the climate changing and a family being forced to move and losing all the wealth they had tied up in their home maybe people would wake up? But it's just such a new phenomenon I guess we'll have to wait.

Edit: know a guy who juuuuust bought a home in Niverville and his sump burned out already lmao

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

And cause discontent
Until they cease in their investigation
And we'll have the rain descend
Collapse their tents, and jack up the rents
Until we're talking in whispers again

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Man if only a there was a book or something about the climate changing and a family being forced to move and losing all the wealth they had tied up in their home maybe people would wake up? But it's just such a new phenomenon I guess we'll have to wait.

Edit: know a guy who juuuuust bought a home in Niverville and his sump burned out already lmao

the closest thing we've got is A Full Life, a short story published in the MIT Technology Review earlier this year

Amitav Ghosh also wrote The Great Derangement to try and get at how we can't really imagine what climate change is going to look at because our fiction has failed to keep up, because as jack nicholson would say, we can't handle the truth

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I think he was talking about The Grapes of Wrath :eng101:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i guess in the modern retelling the joads are oil and gas workers, part of the albertan diaspora

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

read the Overstory by Richard Power, its great.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

vyelkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF_4EWSuzQY

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the franchise just blew itself up again so yes, yes indeed

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Terminator 2 was the only good Terminator.

Surprisingly the TV show was passable.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

the closest thing we've got is A Full Life, a short story published in the MIT Technology Review earlier this year

this is great, thanks for posting it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EvilJoven posted:

Terminator 2 was the only good Terminator.

Surprisingly the TV show was passable.

aw c'mon, the original movie was pretty great. After 2 things went downhill fast though

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The first one had no humor at all and the soundtrack was so Casio keyboard it was too 80s for the 80s. It did not age well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

priznat posted:

aw c'mon, the original movie was pretty great. After 2 things went downhill fast though

Except wasn't t3 released like 18 years after t2?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

the slope of the suckitude was steep you pedant

priznat has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Nov 7, 2019

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

T1 absolutely holds up as an 80s thriller.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Terminator and Alien franchises both start out as good horror/thriller, with a solid action sequel, then sliding into garbage.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
IMHO the original Terminator and its focus on gritty horror, with Arnold as a rubber skinned homicidal manikin that barely even looks human and that will stop at nothing to get you, holds up better than the T1000 and the colorful early 90s optimism and fast paced action sequences of Terminator 2.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:engleft:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Jun 20, 2021

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It is funny to think that once upon a time pulpy genre movies could actually have major shifts in plot and tone. Wrath of Khan, The Empire Strikes Back, Aliens, Terminator II, Temple of Doom (they can't all be good), we're not talking high art here, but by contemporary Marvel cinema standards all those movies were departures from the previous films in terms of themes and to some extent even narrative.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Fuckin LOL today the MB premier said that really there's no issue with the current approaches regarding violent crime.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Now I get how the residents of planet Krypton ignored all the signs their planet was about to die before it did.

Seeing as we're on a marvel derail and all.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

Now I get how the residents of planet Krypton ignored all the signs their planet was about to die before it did.

Seeing as we're on a marvel derail and all.

There was a great bit a local comedian did at the Edmonton Fringe theater festival called Last Days On Krypton with that same premise, and it was pretty great. He was on a local lefty scifi podcast that ended up being far and away their best episode.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

EvilJoven posted:

The first one had no humor at all and the soundtrack was so Casio keyboard it was too 80s for the 80s. It did not age well.

It’s equal to or better than the first one. Lousy opinion IMO.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Helsing posted:

IMHO the original Terminator and its focus on gritty horror, with Arnold as a rubber skinned homicidal manikin that barely even looks human and that will stop at nothing to get you, holds up better than the T1000 and the colorful early 90s optimism and fast paced action sequences of Terminator 2.

Both are fantastic. I also don’t think Robert Patrick gets enough credit - he’s equally as menacing as Arnold in the first one.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the stop motion terminator is like the one thing I'd probably forgive if someone wanted to dust off negatives and re-do old VFX. But they'd never have the restraint to JUST replace the T-800 skeleton with like a T2 level of quality, no CG full-sprinting poo poo, just smoother motion like they got in the sequel

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Suplex Liberace posted:

very happy the climate apocolypse has eradicated the only good season in Manitoba so much sooner than i anticipated

drat, im glad im not the only one who has noticed this

fall hasnt existed here for a good few years

it just wet and snow - i miss the dry rear end leaves all over the place and the smell of fall

it loving sucks now and only getting colder.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It was twenty degrees last week
Today there is snow
Fall is upon us

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Frond posted:

Both are fantastic. I also don’t think Robert Patrick gets enough credit - he’s equally as menacing as Arnold in the first one.

someone had to point it out to me cuz I didn't notice, but he never flinches or closes his eyes when firing a gun during the entire movie

takes some serious effort to make that happen.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm glad I checked in this thread because wow are some of you wrong.

The Terminator absolutely holds up and the sequel would be much diminished without it because one of the best parts is Sarah Connor molding herself into what she needs to be for her and her son to survive.

Anyway, carry on.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

^^^ are those men gonna gently caress that small curious man?

Vintersorg posted:

drat, im glad im not the only one who has noticed this

fall hasnt existed here for a good few years

it just wet and snow - i miss the dry rear end leaves all over the place and the smell of fall

it loving sucks now and only getting colder.

mmmm snow tomorrow hello weekend

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/RoyalCdnLegion/status/1192501125104197638?s=20

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
https://globalnews.ca/news/6137571/ucp-mla-private-members-bill-physician-conscience-rights/

Between this and nursing/teacher cuts, I'm getting the gently caress out of this province as soon as my lease is up. Vancouver or BC in general might be expensive but I think it's time to get out of Alberta before it turns into the Canadian version of Sam Brownback's Kansas experiment.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you're into nursing or teaching, post-cut Alberta is still going to easily be the #1 place to be in Canada.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I don't know if Alberta's system is better, but anecdotally I've heard that Ontario is the province that people want to be family doctors the least.

I move to Kitchener full time in May 2018 and here's how my finding a family doctor experience went:

1) May: Sign up for "Healthcare Connect", the provincial system that's supposed to match you match you with an open family doctor. (I later learned via some googling that despite being the most advertised provincial system, it has under a 60% match rate).

2) Learn that despite this being a resource you sign up for online, there's no online portal. You sign up, then wait for a snail mail package with details.

3) June: Recieve a snail mail package that says nothing other than "hey, you're on a list, we'll contact you if you find someone." Don't like, worry about status updates or any other logical online thing.

4) Wait 8 months.

5) Febuary, 2019: get annoyed at filling my regular perscriptions at walk in clinics. No news since my solitary mail package. Do some online searching and find some program run by the local.....chamber of commerce????...that's suppposed to match patients to doctors.

6) get referred to a doctor for the next week.

Apparently I had it quite easy compared to some people, but I was still amazed at how useless the province was in having a system that 1) actually did anything and 2) was monitorable in any way shape or form. For all I know my name was thrown into the garbage immediately after joining the program in May.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

James Baud posted:

If you're into nursing or teaching, post-cut Alberta is still going to easily be the #1 place to be in Canada.

The workload is going to be increased, they're cutting wages after 6 years of freezes and the union suspects 20% of frontline workers are going to be cut. It might be right now but it's going to suck rear end over the next while.

All the while, other provinces are going to be renewing contracts and catching up/surpassing them in pay while not living in a hellworld province surrounded by chud assholes embarrassing austerity.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Nairbo posted:

The workload is going to be increased, they're cutting wages after 6 years of freezes and the union suspects 20% of frontline workers are going to be cut. It might be right now but it's going to suck rear end over the next while.

All the while, other provinces are going to be renewing contracts and catching up/surpassing them in pay while not living in a hellworld province surrounded by chud assholes embarrassing austerity.

ontario is also going to get hammered but for no particular reason aside from the province being full of even more malicious people. Nova Scotia has less than 1 percent increases over the next 3 years but healthcare spending is out of control here because of reasons.

CRISPYBABY posted:

I don't know if Alberta's system is better, but anecdotally I've heard that Ontario is the province that people want to be family doctors the least.

I move to Kitchener full time in May 2018 and here's how my finding a family doctor experience went:

1) May: Sign up for "Healthcare Connect", the provincial system that's supposed to match you match you with an open family doctor. (I later learned via some googling that despite being the most advertised provincial system, it has under a 60% match rate).

2) Learn that despite this being a resource you sign up for online, there's no online portal. You sign up, then wait for a snail mail package with details.

3) June: Recieve a snail mail package that says nothing other than "hey, you're on a list, we'll contact you if you find someone." Don't like, worry about status updates or any other logical online thing.

4) Wait 8 months.

5) Febuary, 2019: get annoyed at filling my regular perscriptions at walk in clinics. No news since my solitary mail package. Do some online searching and find some program run by the local.....chamber of commerce????...that's suppposed to match patients to doctors.

6) get referred to a doctor for the next week.

Apparently I had it quite easy compared to some people, but I was still amazed at how useless the province was in having a system that 1) actually did anything and 2) was monitorable in any way shape or form. For all I know my name was thrown into the garbage immediately after joining the program in May.

just call offices directly, healthcare connect doesn’t work

I used to do patient navigation as an rn in ontario and it’s really not that bad. come to Nova Scotia to experience a truly horrible healthcare system.

my morning jackass has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?s=20