Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's not the same. THE HELL WITH THE SUN

The hell with the Sun! is still my favorite sports radio screed. I wish the Packers had anyone with that kind of fire doing radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Styles Bitchley posted:

Lions fans need to do what the Packers did and just call Patricia Fat Matt.

FIRE FAT MATT!!!

He already has a nickname and it's Rapist Matt

"nickname"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Some people think Mitch Trubisky is an animated tower of garbage brought to life by a witch's curse who doesn't belong on the same continent as a football field, but they're not considering all the angles:

https://twitter.com/StevenCheah/status/1191760244805918723?s=20

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Some people think Mitch Trubisky is an animated tower of garbage brought to life by a witch's curse who doesn't belong on the same continent as a football field, but they're not considering all the angles:

This is amazing

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DESHAUN WATSON LITERALLY BEAT A BUNCH OF NFL DEFENDERS IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME HOW COULD YOU NOT DRAFT HIM I AM STILL ANGRY ABOUT THIS

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Weird..... Guesses as who he harassed?

https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1191808998405787650?s=19

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

R.D. Mangles posted:

DESHAUN WATSON LITERALLY BEAT A BUNCH OF NFL DEFENDERS IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME HOW COULD YOU NOT DRAFT HIM I AM STILL ANGRY ABOUT THIS

Didn't have that want-to factor

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Rumour is he was too vocally pro-Trump even for *checks notes* a sports team owned by billionaires??

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

Technically Watson only won on his second try, after letting saban get a shitload of tape and experience against Watson and knowing exactly how to prepare the next time .

Obviously pace assumed Mitch would just win the first time and not need a rematch game

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

The eye test was telling me the defense is pretty bad but... Thought all that was all very interesting. I'm unsure how the defense went from really good to an abomination over the last few weeks but as the article points out when you're in the nickel package and relying on stopping the run giving up 5.6 YPC is going to be problematic

https://theathletic.com/1354353/201...tinez-quandary/

quote:

In the past six weeks, the Packers’ defense ranks 31st in yards per play allowed, 30th in net yards per pass play, 30th in big completions, 23rd in points per game, 24th in sack percentage and 26th on third down.

[...]
Rushing yards allowed per game: 127.7 (24th).

Rushing yards per carry: 4.73 (25th).

Rushing TDs: 10 (26th).

Runs plus-4 yds: 50.6 percent (32nd).

[...]
The Packers rely on smaller subpackage personnel. But to be successful, you must stop the run on early downs. Playing subpackage personnel is a privilege. Otherwise, a team will run it down your throat for four quarters.

The Chargers racked up 159 rushing yards on 38 carries last week, but it’s important to dissect which players were on the field during the worst moments.

The Packers don’t typically play two inside linebackers, relying on safeties to play down in the box alongside LB Blake Martinez. And last week, the majority of the big runs came from this group:

One ILB: 27 carries, 146 yards (5.4 avg.).

The defense faced 11 runs with two ILBs on the field (either Martinez/B.J. Goodson or Martinez/Oren Burks)

Two ILB: 11 carries, 13 yards (1.2 avg.).

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Mcginn really blasted Martinez too. He’s not physical and can’t cover. Only gave him credit that he can get people down, but not where good players tackle people. Supposed the coaches may overrate him based on his command of the defense.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Martinez has no power or presence and is super easily washed out of the play. He doesn't play aggressive, doesn't shoot holes he tends to just wait for the ballcarrier (or the blocker) to come to him. Having him be the only off-ball linebacker on the field is basically an invitation to run on them, and I think the article is accurate in that it's the linebacking corps that is the issue, along with the interior of the defensive line which seems slightly undersized

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

Mcginn really blasted Martinez too. He’s not physical and can’t cover. Only gave him credit that he can get people down, but not where good players tackle people. Supposed the coaches may overrate him based on his command of the defense.

Basically the second AJ Hawk. But this one can keep his chin strap buckled.

Play posted:

Martinez has no power or presence and is super easily washed out of the play. He doesn't play aggressive, doesn't shoot holes he tends to just wait for the ballcarrier (or the blocker) to come to him. Having him be the only off-ball linebacker on the field is basically an invitation to run on them, and I think the article is accurate in that it's the linebacking corps that is the issue, along with the interior of the defensive line which seems slightly undersized

What was really disappointing to me was seeing how many plays would end with Martinez casually jogging towards the stop. He used to have a really good motor in his first couple seasons and would give high effort on every play, even ones he wasn't involved with.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Broncos were getting run on like crazy early in the season and making two changes; one in the middle of the defensive line and one at middle linebacker. They brought in guys with the extra size and aggression in the run game and it instantly worked, transforming them into on of the hardest teams to run against in the league. I think that's what the Packers need to do; of course the Broncos were lucky enough to already have players like this on their defense, I don't know if Green Bay does.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Play posted:

Yeah that's what the tape is showing. Martinez is excellent at tackling (when he gets there) but he is slow and hesitant which means he's often out of position to make the play. I think the coaches do like him though because IF he's there he makes tackles without hesitation and he does seems to know the defense very well.

I guess you have to trust the coaching staff to figure it out because this team is too talented to be basically the 2nd worst defense in the league which is how it's been playing last efw weeks.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Problem is Burks at this point I assume is a bust and basically the rest of their linebackers are special teamers. They have to play a lot of nickel because backs and tight ends would replicate Jones vs Chiefs linebackers if they trotted guys like Goodson out there. Would have been really interesting if the Steelers hadn’t jumped ahead of the Packers and they had been able to pick Devin Bush. Ah well.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yep, this is on the nose. Thanks for posting this.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

brugroffil posted:

Didn't have that want-to factor

Yea, things like:
- he doesn’t want-to lose games
- he doesn’t want-to look like a fool
- he doesn’t want-to waste a great defense

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hand Row posted:

Problem is Burks at this point I assume is a bust and basically the rest of their linebackers are special teamers. They have to play a lot of nickel because backs and tight ends would replicate Jones vs Chiefs linebackers if they trotted guys like Goodson out there. Would have been really interesting if the Steelers hadn’t jumped ahead of the Packers and they had been able to pick Devin Bush. Ah well.

I actually think they should put Goodson out there, he's exactly the kind of guy they need to stop the bleeding in the run game. I've seen that dude knock a tackle flat on his rear end to get to the ball carrier. Maybe he'll get picked on in the passing game but you need to discourage the other team from running, if they realize they can run the ball and get nice pickups every time they'll just run constantly

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Good coach notes good QB

https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/1192132023424618499?s=19

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Trying to get out front of Trubs shredding this shittastic lions defense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Here's an article with some video play breakdowns of Martinez's performance: https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/05/struggling-packers-defense-needs-more-out-of-lb-blake-martinez/

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

I mean, if he used air quotes, that would be amazing.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Carl Gerbschmidt?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He's a great QB for his opponents, yes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/patrickfinley/status/1192144489294512130?s=20

What did I do to deserve this.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

"his team" lol. sure buddy

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The way this defense is playing I wouldn't be surprised if Trubisky loving whips us, but who knows.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

What happens when an extremely stoppable force meets an extremely movable object? We get to find out twice this month!

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Well, technically that's one way to silence the critics.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

tinstaach posted:

What happens when an extremely stoppable force meets an extremely movable object? We get to find out twice this month!

We saw it last year, mitch had 12 of his 24 tds in the 3 games against tb, Miami and Detroit

He feasts on chumps because Gabriel and Robinson are good enough that they can turn his lovely throws into huge gains and Mitch is going to throw 40 times for 300+ and 3 td . This same poo poo happened last year with the tb game where he started really slow and then nagy force fed passing plays against a bad opponent to make him shine

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 6, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

We saw it last year, mitch had 12 of his 24 tds in the 3 games against tb, Miami and Detroit

He feasts on chumps because Gabriel and Robinson are good enough that they can turn his lovely throws into huge gains and Mitch is going to throw 40 times for 300+ and 3 td . This same poo poo happened last year with the tb game where he started really slow and then nagy force fed passing plays against a bad opponent to make him shine

Yep. Almost always on those big plays down the sidelines there's a ton of adjustment by the receiver too because Trubisky just heaves it up there and hopes it gets caught, he has no ability to actually place throws in the correct spot. If you can't match up well with the receivers then yeah they might get you on some of those, but they're also magnificent INT opportunities

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Did he add the air quotes

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Athanatos posted:

Did he add the air quotes

No he's actually just a big fat dumb rapist and not smart

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Just listened to Cousins' latest podcast. Whole lot of :ironicat: him talking about the African American museum and Holocaust museum, wondering how things like that happen, then noting how effective propaganda is... While being a chud.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Ugh gently caress

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1192198754893471744?s=19

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

SirPablo posted:

Just listened to Cousins' latest podcast. Whole lot of :ironicat: him talking about the African American museum and Holocaust museum, wondering how things like that happen, then noting how effective propaganda is... While being a chud.

Cousins is a chud!?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Very excited to watch the two worst teams in the NFC North go at it this fine Sunday

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hizawk posted:

Cousins is a chud!?

extremely so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
So he's Joe Rogan with more Christian talk instead of weed and interviewing White nationalists got it