Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mayman10 posted:

You seem like someone who has money gangtags, wanna help out a down on his luck cop?
Let's see...

*rolls dice*

Your Rhetoric must be incredibly high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

itry posted:

Keep it up with the art analysis. Good stuff.

The Deserter

While the way he's looking indicates perceiving the world through Mazovian analysis via the white which has been established as the color of the Communard, roughly everything above the sensory level (eyes, ears, etc.) is a differing color. Does he only see Mazovian analysis on a surface level and doesn't engage with it intellectually or is it a sign of the other issues that the game establishes in the finale?

Compare him to his nemisis Rene.

The yellow and blue of the monarchy remains and is all over the background. His eyes are sharp unlike the Deserter. He perceives the world and accepts it. He hates it with every fiber in his being but he acknowledges that it's the one he lives in. Which is very different from the Deserter.

Zikan fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 6, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Someone mentioned you could use a certain bear fridge for the autopsy? I've inspected it, plugged it, unplugged it, talked to people about it - not getting the option.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Zikan posted:

The Deserter

While the way he's looking indicates perceiving the world through Mazovian analysis via the white which has been established as the color of the Communard, roughly everything above the sensory level (eyes, ears, etc.) is a differing color. Does he only see Mazovian analysis on a surface level and doesn't engage with it intellectually or is it a sign of the other issues that the game establishes in the finale?

Do you think the black around his head has to do with the phasmid just absolutely melting his brain with it's pheromones or whatever? Also going off of the white by the eyes, there are a couple lines of dialogue where Harry remarks about how the old man hasn't lost his sight, so sign of cataracts or anything.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Palpek posted:

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

Really hoping I get in under the wire for this, the alternative is drinking so heavily I forget I could have gotten it in the first place.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ever-the-rat is a demagogue, even if he sometimes buys into his own spiel. Despite that, the union holding/keeping the harbor is probably a good thing overall.

Rebel Blob posted:

I'd be remiss to not recommend Zaum Studio's media page which has large-res copies of some of the game art as well as concept art. If they released an art book for Disco Elysium I'd snap it up immediately.

:fingerpistols:

Zikan posted:

The Deserter

Compare him to his nemisis Rene.

The yellow and blue of the monarchy remains and is all over the background. His eyes are sharp unlike the Deserter. He perceives the world and accepts it. He hates it with every fiber in his being but he acknowledges that it's the one he lives in. Which is very different from the Deserter.

The Deserter is rotten to the core. An alternative name for him could be Hate or Envy or maybe Self-Disgust.

His name reduces him to a single action, made decades prior. He's defined by it (or let himself be defined by it). Less than a person.

itry fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 6, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really, really like the weird insectoid design on the mercenary body armor.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Night10194 posted:

I really, really like the weird insectoid design on the mercenary body armor.

i really liked touching everything in the game. the armor was a highlight of this for sure.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's neat about it is you don't get the full effect until you see Ruud and actually see the helmet, too.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, seeing the full suit in the Tribunal reminded me of a grasshopper.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

kidkissinger posted:

i really liked touching everything in the game. the armor was a highlight of this for sure.

I love how they described the armor pieces sliding seamlessly around each other like the loving phasmid again! everything comes back to the phasmid

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Palpek posted:

I rolled dice on whether to give a gangtag to people who were late for it.

Check Success

Lucky bastards.

I'd love to get one if i can get in on that drat good roll, been here 15+ years and no gang tags yet but hobo cop is superb

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Question regarding bullets and bullet holes: Anyone ever take serious note of the couple of bullet holes Harry can ask Kim about? There's one in the statue's chest and another in a wall somewhere (I forget where) and both are kind of facing the same general direction that Klassje's room is facing.
I don't think there's a for sure answer, but did anyone else get the feeling that The Deserter had been having a bit of target practice?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The mercs armor does a good job of making them look absolutely inhuman.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

chaosapiant posted:

Question regarding bullets and bullet holes: Anyone ever take serious note of the couple of bullet holes Harry can ask Kim about? There's one in the statue's chest and another in a wall somewhere (I forget where) and both are kind of facing the same general direction that Klassje's room is facing.
I don't think there's a for sure answer, but did anyone else get the feeling that The Deserter had been having a bit of target practice?

Pretty sure he admits to putting a bullet in the statue if you ask him about it.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Mayman10 posted:

Do you think the black around his head has to do with the phasmid just absolutely melting his brain with it's pheromones or whatever? Also going off of the white by the eyes, there are a couple lines of dialogue where Harry remarks about how the old man hasn't lost his sight, so sign of cataracts or anything.

Endgame spoilers

That's a good interpretation but consider what he derives his anger at. People having sex, doing drugs, and listening to popular music, berating them as degenerate bourgeoisie wastes of time. Yet in his sleeping area are erotica and trash fiction, i.e. much of what he despises. Also ideological books because it's unlikely a young soldier had an understanding of Mazovian Scocio-Economic analysis.

The phasmid's effect amplified the underlying psychological trauma that defined his life. He gave into the most base of instincts, fear, during the Revolution and has never forgiven himself for it. He retreats into calling it a moment of reaction and adopts a stance of hardline ideology to shield himself from it. Thus he constructs a bunker around himself of ideological rigidity, to deny himself giving into these base instincts, so he is not reminded of his trauma.

With the passing of the years and the phasmid's effects, it morphs into the hatred of the world that would make Rene take pause. After all Rene may hate the world as well but at least he can put himself together enough to play a game of pétanque

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Broken Cog posted:

Pretty sure he admits to putting a bullet in the statue if you ask him about it.

Oh awesome. I'm on my second playthrough and only noticed them now so I haven't asked him yet. I'm glad that ties in, it feels right.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Palpek posted:

Let's see...

*rolls dice*

Your Rhetoric must be incredibly high.

I see you've read my CSPAM post history

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't have anything intelligent to add but I'm loving these artcop posts about the portraits. That's some really cool analysis.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Zikan posted:

Endgame spoilers

That's a good interpretation but consider what he derives his anger at. People having sex, doing drugs, and listening to popular music, berating them as degenerate bourgeoisie wastes of time. Yet in his sleeping area are erotica and trash fiction, i.e. much of what he despises. Also ideological books because it's unlikely a young soldier had an understanding of Mazovian Scocio-Economic analysis.

The phasmid's effect amplified the underlying psychological trauma that defined his life. He gave into the most base of instincts, fear, during the Revolution and has never forgiven himself for it. He retreats into calling it a moment of reaction and adopts a stance of hardline ideology to shield himself from it. Thus he constructs a bunker around himself of ideological rigidity, to deny himself giving into these base instincts, so he is not reminded of his trauma.

With the passing of the years and the phasmid's effects, it morphs into the hatred of the world that would make Rene take pause. After all Rene may hate the world as well but at least he can put himself together enough to play a game of pétanque

I didn't mean to say your interpretations on the colors was wrong I just meant that they could be playing in tandem. Also the Deserter mentions that he was a commissar, not a regular soldier, he was ideologically trained when he had his "moment of reaction" and thats why he immediately went and wrote a self criticism of his actions.

I also feel like he's using his ideology *sniff* as a coping mechanism to deal with the trauma from the war. He saw his actions and the actions of the commune as a whole as justified in it's entirety even before the invasion. He continually retreats to that sense of righteousness to continue to struggle every day, this is a man who has been hiding for 42 (?) Years.

Man gently caress this game for making me think about art and write stuff. Stupid sexy disco cop.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zikan posted:

René's colors are sharp. Actually, considering all character portraits, his is very, very vivid, something that should not be the case for a reactionary character. Considering what you learn from him, he has very good reason to be like that, because regardless of circumstances, he is one valorous motherfucker.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Disco Elysium: Stupid Sexy Disco Cop

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

did anyone actually do a playthrough where they wore the neolib clothes?

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

kidkissinger posted:

did anyone actually do a playthrough where they wore the neolib clothes?

I wore the pants for a second and my brain tried to give me liberal thoughts and I dismissed it lol

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Zikan posted:

The Deserter

Actually it looks like the Desert's background colors are literally just his surroundings of where you meet him. He'd be one of the few if not the only character where this is the case and I feel like that's far more impactful than trying to assign the same color meanings as with other portraits, the artist was deliberate with using a literal background here.

The Deserter has accepted his troubles at this point, he has nothing left to hide, he WANTS to tell you that he killed the Merc. I'm sure others could provide a deeper analysis here

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hibbloes posted:

Y'know one other thing about Volition, is it is the only one that another skill referred to with another name (the Crownhead). Did anyone notice any of the other skills doing that? I'm gonna exclude Phys Instrument being "Coach" for this though.

I definitely remember one of them calling Drama "the one with many faces"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

There is a for sure answer. We know that The Deserter shot the King's statue, and that he's killed the previous union leader while she was walking down the boardwalk.

Mayman10 posted:

Actually it looks like the Desert's background colors are literally just his surroundings of where you meet him.

It does kinda look like a sand/reeds/surf/water mix.

itry fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 6, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The bullet holes are one of the things Harry can insist or ask if they're part of the case or a new murder mystery, to which Kim obviously says no; but, if we go by Inland Empire cop-logic, we know that virtually everything Harry instinctually claims is a case, actually ends up being one or part of the central mystery. I do think judging by where you can see the bullet holes that they may well be from the sniper - or at least are born of the same pathos that led to the sniper's murders, executing ideological enemies in cold blood; or better put, executing people who are an affront to your ideals in cold blood, since his victims were never aware of him before the end, they only stood in opposition to him in a purely totemic way.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Hibbloes posted:

Y'know one other thing about Volition, is it is the only one that another skill referred to with another name (the Crownhead). Did anyone notice any of the other skills doing that? I'm gonna exclude Phys Instrument being "Coach" for this though.

Volition calls Drama "Multi-Face" at one point (Late game dialogue):

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Wrapping up my 2nd playthrough (3/5/2/2 apoc superstar with shitloads of Inland Empire and Shivers) and it wasn't HUGELY different from my 4/2/2/4 boring sorry commie cop first run, but a bunch of small things turned out differently and it was still engaging as hell.

The atmosphere in this game is just fan-loving-tastic, my only regrets are not getting the armor boots AGAIN because I accidentally clicked past something even though I got the body into the bear fridge and then had Kim leave, and not doing the thing with the tie that I heard exists but never figured out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Night10194 posted:

God, The Expression is so much worse on a shaved Harry.

Shaved harry has to get rid of the expression to make it work, just the saddest cop

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The bullet holes are one of the things Harry can insist or ask if they're part of the case or a new murder mystery, to which Kim obviously says no; but, if we go by Inland Empire cop-logic, we know that virtually everything Harry instinctually claims is a case, actually ends up being one or part of the central mystery. I do think judging by where you can see the bullet holes that they may well be from the sniper - or at least are born of the same pathos that led to the sniper's murders, executing ideological enemies in cold blood; or better put, executing people who are an affront to your ideals in cold blood, since his victims were never aware of him before the end, they only stood in opposition to him in a purely totemic way.

The only major thing Inland Empire is completely wrong on is the Blue Door which, to me at least, had extremely foreboding 'a bad thing is behind this door' energy and then just seemingly is an ordinary backroom that takes you to the upstairs balcony?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

multijoe posted:

The only major thing Inland Empire is completely wrong on is the Blue Door which, to me at least, had extremely foreboding 'a bad thing is behind this door' energy and then just seemingly is an ordinary backroom that takes you to the upstairs balcony?

While logically Inland Empire would think that, it being the imagination attribute and fear of the unknown being a pretty human thing, it's not entirely wrong. The Deserter does mention he used it to spy on Katje from time to time since nobody questions a vagrant and he had a spare key - he could've been up there during the initial thought.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

multijoe posted:

To be fair it was also a secret passage way for The Deserter to watch the Merc and the lying lady gently caress and stuff, also the footprints, which foreshadow a super old person being there

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

multijoe posted:

The backroom is where the Communist would peep at Klaasje through a pinhole and sometimes look at her in the dark through the window when her lights were on. The footprints you find there are his, that's why they don't match any of the prints by the tree. It's signifigant because that's the closest he ever got to her, there's always a separation, wall, window between him and what he wants because of his chosen life. He's always looking at her through glass or a pinhole, just like iron sights or a scope. Additionally it's another sign of his hypocrisy of whining about degeneracy yet being a creeping old man.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 6, 2019

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ah drat, I missed out on that detail entirely. That stat really knows its stuff.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Palpek posted:

I rolled dice on whether to give a gangtag to people who were late for it.

Check Success

Lucky bastards.

Hell yeah

In playing the game a second time, I think the best scene of the game and the one I'll think about for every game in the future is probably interviewing Klaasje and Volition telling you about your "compromised" skills. I had relied so heavily on intellectual skills like Rhetoric and Drama while Volition had rarely piped in that I initially disregarded him, until I realized that was entirely the point. Going from jokingly dismissing a skill, to a funny conversation between the all pointing fingers, to being absolutely untrusting of your crucial skills in the moment of interviewing. Literally had me questioning the narrative - but what about that other % chance the bullet didn't come from the roof? What about the shot being heard? If Electrochemistry can lie to you and spin you a lovely tale, why can't Visual Calculus or Rhetoric?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jon Irenicus posted:

Hell yeah

In playing the game a second time, I think the best scene of the game and the one I'll think about for every game in the future is probably interviewing Klaasje and Volition telling you about your "compromised" skills. I had relied so heavily on intellectual skills like Rhetoric and Drama while Volition had rarely piped in that I initially disregarded him, until I realized that was entirely the point. Going from jokingly dismissing a skill, to a funny conversation between the all pointing fingers, to being absolutely untrusting of your crucial skills in the moment of interviewing. Literally had me questioning the narrative - but what about that other % chance the bullet didn't come from the roof? What about the shot being heard? If Electrochemistry can lie to you and spin you a lovely tale, why can't Visual Calculus or Rhetoric?

what? EC would never lie or give bad advice

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Electrochemistry never really lies to you.

He's just very, very bad for you.

And why wouldn't he be? You hosed him up in the first place. Harry is physically addicted to a bunch of poo poo, his system is messed up. It's not really EC's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If Disco was a Persona game, EC would be your shadow-self.