Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Anyone who is mid career or deeper should not be considering a switch from a good, stable position to a different company for less than a 20% raise. And that's before we get into commute and salary vs hourly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I took a 10% cut to get away from a monster of a boss and a poo poo work environment. That was worth it from a mental health perspective but that's the only time I would consider it.

Cut my "commute" in half too, from 10 minutes to 5 :smug:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tibalt posted:

The contract is 3 to 5 years, and at least part of the team would become permanent.
Never trust this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was in a similar situation a few years ago when I switched jobs. My old job was about 80% remote and even when I had to go in it was only for a few hours, I basically never spent a full 9-5 day in the office. My current job is eight hours in the office M-F, zero WFH allowed, and a 45 minute commute each way. I made the switch though because in addition to it being way better for my career, it was a 40% salary increase. It was just too much additional money to walk away from even if my QoL went down. I absolutely would not have made the same decision for only 10% more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Hourly vs Salary isn't necessarily a bad thing though. In general I prefer salary but they are some big perks (usually no "crunch", frequently more amenable bosses about flex schedules) to make it a wash. Everyone's mileage varies though.

Based on what you put unless you are really unhappy/stuck where you are I don't think I'd make that move for under 20%.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Antioch posted:

I took a 10% cut to get away from a monster of a boss and a poo poo work environment. That was worth it from a mental health perspective but that's the only time I would consider it.

Cut my "commute" in half too, from 10 minutes to 5 :smug:

Sounds like it wasn't a good position. If a place makes you miserable then taking a pay cut might be appropriate. But if not then don't leave for greener grass unless they are making it worth the gamble that the next place won't.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

We just had a team meeting basically because one of the senior doctors emailed the junior doctors and didn't start with a "dear all" and was a bit abrupt. So much pearl-clutching going on. Delicious

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Met a buddy / former coworker today, thinking about accelerating our “leave big firms, start our own boutique” plan.

It’s really scary but exciting.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Keetron posted:

https://archive.is/uULD2

Nothing is ever lost on the internet.
Oh this is the sequel I never knew I wanted. Bless you kind goon.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Here's some SoftBank nonsense collected from other threads, and I strongly encourage you to view the 30-year vision at the bottom link (esp if you've ever had to make any strategy-adjacent deck):

https://twitter.com/zebulgar/status/1192198379859636225

Guinness posted:

Re: softbank silliness, how about this slide deck about their 30 year vision. It's really something.

PDF warning
https://cdn.group.softbank/en/corp/set/data/irinfo/presentations/vod/2010/pdf/press_20100625_01.pdf

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

My bootlicking, treat-everyone-below-him-as-a-child, biggest idiot I've ever met boss got fired today. I wish I could have been there to see it. Apparently, his new boss told him he was either incompetent or malevolent and either was a deal-breaker. (he's both) Then he got perp-walked out.

Now it's time to start rebuilding my team that he ran into the ground.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
That's awesome Dik Hz. Tales of corporate karma always make me smile :cheers:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a gift for an outgoing managing director of a software start-up? He's leaving for personal reasons, and we'd like to give him something nice as a thank you. He doesn't drink so anything alcoholic is out.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bee posted:

That's awesome Dik Hz. Tales of corporate karma always make me smile :cheers:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a gift for an outgoing managing director of a software start-up? He's leaving for personal reasons, and we'd like to give him something nice as a thank you. He doesn't drink so anything alcoholic is out.
My intern got me a coffee mug, and I know I shouldn't take gifts from interns. But it is a snarky coffee mug that mocks what we do and it is loving awesome.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Trabant posted:

Here's some SoftBank nonsense collected from other threads, and I strongly encourage you to view the 30-year vision at the bottom link (esp if you've ever had to make any strategy-adjacent deck):

Holy poo poo, that slide deck is some real :psyduck:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh this is the sequel I never knew I wanted. Bless you kind goon.

This is pro click. The Pete story is great.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm going to pitch universal human happiness 300 years in the future in my next project meeting.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Volmarias posted:

I expect that the answer is no, nice as it would be. Unless your employer decides to be exceptionally generous about this, your employment end date stopped the clock for that for good.

Update: it jumped to 100% vested, idk if they mean it or if there is a quarterly audit that's gonna back it out.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 7, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 24, 2020

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The Sean posted:

I got a lovely email from a director of another division yesterday.

"You did X process wrong and I've already told you to do it a different way. This is very concerning."

It was stupid and dumb but I didn't want to respond right away and be too short or dickish.

Today I sent the following (paraphrased and nicer): "This occurred in January and you sent the process update in August. The cell phone photo of the paperwork that you sent me to prove I did this wrong has a date in January."

This would just be banally dumb in the first place and excusable but the photo evidence showing I followed the rules was really great.

What was the response???

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Trabant posted:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

SoftBank value #4: think till our brains crush

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Trabant posted:

I think the part I like most is "aim to achieve". It's like they're a kid that's been caught doing something wrong and they're promising to TRY to not do it again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

"we intend to make money instead of losing it at some point in the future"

such a bold vision, give that man a raise etc

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Shugojin posted:

such a bold vision, give that man a raise etc

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Tomfoolery posted:

SoftBank value #4: think till our brains crush

Im the CEO that puts telepathy in to a corporate powerpoint.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shugojin posted:

The Silicon Valley thread.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

TFW you spot an error in finance’s spreadsheet and realise there is a large hole in your P&L that nobody spotted and you now have one month to fix.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm very bored at my current job... like pulled stuff in my office and cleaned underneath it bored. While I'm looking for something new nothing worthwhile has come up.

That said a sales job just came open at my current company and Im really tempted to take it. How much would I hate myself if I did given I've pretty much always just run warehouses

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Go and hang around with your best 3 sales people and think very carefully if you could have the same personality as one of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
doing a stint in sales will make you a better warehouse ops guy so i say go give it a shot

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
So my official job role is more of data analysis but in the recent months I’ve been with this company I’ve also done sales support, operations, and a few other roles. Now I’m having to drive out to our warehouse in bum gently caress nowhere and make sure they get product out the door because they’re a month behind on shipping orders out and clients are getting pissed.

I don’t know why I was chosen for this because I have no background in warehouse operations but apparently they literally need somebody out there that will tell people “load this pallet into that truck and load this pallet next”

Then just now, after having been there all week, I find out that a random VP wants to have a 5 PM meeting tomorrow to talk about everything.

I have never wanted to decline a meeting so badly.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sales is amazing and I would recommend everyone does a stint there. When it goes well it’s the best thing ever, when it goes badly it’s shattering, but one lesson it teaches is that you need to lose your ego. You cannot sell if you want to be the important person, because the customer is by definition more important than you are.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sales is fun, you should try sales.

Worst case scenario you fail and have to go back to warehouse ops with a new appreciate for how the other half live. Worser case scenario you like it and end up spending a lifetime in meaningless sales roles as a leech on society, overpromising things you’ll never actually deliver because they only thing you care about is how big a commission you get.

Why yes I have been meeting with *big ERP company* salespeople lately, why do you ask.

Don’t worry, all our line of products is fully integrated and we will definitely do all the things on our product roadmap in the stated timelines.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I mean, worst case scenario is ending up with a substance addiction after alienating your family chasing the dopamine rush that is "the big one". I feel like that happens to a good chunk of sales guys.

That said, people who have gone through the sales ringer and moved on to something else tend to be way better at their new jobs because of that experience.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

I mean, worst case scenario is ending up with a substance addiction after alienating your family chasing the dopamine rush that is "the big one". I feel like that happens to a good chunk of sales guys.

Oh poo poo yeah that’s definitely a good one.

“You have kids?” “Yeah I see them sometimes when I fly back home. Want to go to the strip club tonight?”

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
So regional engineering manager got made redundant a month or so ago. A high up role, looking after around 20 plants over 3 countries for a gigantic multinational.

So hes decided he wants a bit of a change of pace, so he’s got himself a forklift licence and has been applying for a bunch of warehouse/works loaders positions. His resume is a thing of beauty. No actual lies, but it’s full of things like, 10+ years working in an operations site, knowledge of stock keeping requirements, participation on OHS committees etc etc. Seeing him in full hi vis outfit is great, and it looks like he’s already got himself a job, after putting down one of his process engineers as a reference.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
big lol at the concept of a forklift license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

big lol at the concept of a forklift license

Someone's never met Staplerfahrer Klaus!