Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Lum_ posted:

I was below Richard Garriott in the org chart, assuming one existed. (Yes, he was actually involved with the project - I interacted with him daily).

So were most of these interactions in person or via telepresence robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

gently caress it just change my user name to Richard Garriott and add that picture of me with a scepter and a crown as an avatar under it, joke's over

I am Richard Garriott

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yo sell me a cheaply printed map for 7k and a vial of your blood

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The answer just appears to be the above, "he worked on it in some capacity so we are mad, grr"

Do you also hate every programmer and artist working on Star Citizen who just really needs the paycheck? Save your anger for people like Garriot and Roberts.
I mean, for me, it was more that he had years of trust and credibility built up from calling out lovely dev behavior and design decisions. When he got attached to the project, a lot of people felt he would be a voice of reason and accountability within the dev team. Unfortunately, thanks to the other "rockstar" devs there, he was promptly put into a loving corner and told to shut up, keep his loving head down and do his job.

It also doesn't help that the execs continued to pander to a very specific subset of their playerbase. I mean, when 95% of your income is coming from individuals spending thousands of dollars a month on your game, you gotta cater to those assholes. Richard and Starr knew what side their bread was buttered on.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sadly years of credibility and trust don't pay the bills, especially before the Patreon and crowdfunding era. I just don't get people getting real mad at him in this thread, as if it's his sacred duty to be the canary in the coal mine and throw himself on the grenade for the good of the public or something.

He lives in Austin and is a game developer. These are the game developers in Austin and will pay him. I'm not going to begrudge anyone that, unless they're the people running the show.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
it's just tough realising your teenage hero was just as much a sellout as your 40 year old self is

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sadly years of credibility and trust don't pay the bills, especially before the Patreon and crowdfunding era. I just don't get people getting real mad at him in this thread, as if it's his sacred duty to be the canary in the coal mine and throw himself on the grenade for the good of the public or something.

What did Lum due that made him credible and trustworthy? He was a dude who ran a blog where he complained about video games before that was popular. For fucks sake he's best known for coining the phrase "I am taxing to victory", not any kind of actual meaningful work.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CoffeeBooze posted:

What did Lum due that made him credible and trustworthy? He was a dude who ran a blog where he complained about video games before that was popular. For fucks sake he's best known for coining the phrase "I am taxing to victory", not any kind of actual meaningful work.

Did you actually read LumtheMad's site during the time it was going? It was pretty influential among the MMORPG community, with both fans and devs. Scott's writing was very insightful about game design and fun to read.

I don't know why you would think the taxi to victory thing is its greatest remembered moment, unless you just know that because you read the wikipedia entry...? That was just an injoke in the community.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I'm more baffled at the notion that he was a big seal of approval and credibility for this game, because hate to break it to you but outside of this thread I don't know anyone who's ever heard of him.

Isn't his fault, either way; making sure this game wasn't a scammy trashfire was Garriott's responsibility. You know, the multi-millionaire who actually offered credibility to this project by attaching his name to it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Adept Nightingale posted:

I'm more baffled at the notion that he was a big seal of approval and credibility for this game, because hate to break it to you but outside of this thread I don't know anyone who's ever heard of him.

Yeah I would say that's going a bit far, but he was an important and well-regarded figure during the UO-EQ days of MMO gaming and development. He's not some kind of paragon of journalism, but he was still a dude that wrote about MMORPGs and had smart things to say about them, and influential devs were listening.

Also, to Lum, it must be loving weird to hear us talking about you like this, but I have to assume you're used to it by now. Hi, I really liked your site when I was in high school.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 6, 2019

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did you actually read LumtheMad's site during the time it was going? It was pretty influential among the MMORPG community, with both fans and devs. Scott's writing was very insightful about game design and fun to read.

I don't know why you would think the taxi to victory thing is its greatest remembered moment, unless you just know that because you read the wikipedia entry...? That was just an injoke in the community.

Yeah, I read his stuff and followed Slow News Day after Lum called it a day and went to work for Mythic. He was influential in the same way the guys at Old Man Murray were(oddly Ive never heard them criticized for going to work in industry). They all wrote snarky stuff that was wrapped around very valid criticisms of the games being released at the time. They never had any pretensions of being journalists or some other kind of person who ascribed to a particular code of ethics or anything like that though.

And the taxing to victory catch phrase was from Lums hilarious WW2OL review. It was all over the place at the time and well outside the little cluster of communities surrounding Ranting of Lum the Mad. It popped up on Blues News a fair bit even.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBooze posted:

We are old as gently caress

Thanks for playing

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
And shroud took explicit advantage of that nostalgia...that's the loving problem. Shroud wasn't like "oh we will be this somewhat mediocre game with some poo poo devs and some poo poo people" they promised that this would be the first true spiritual successor to Ultima online, with a ton of awesome features and amazing gameplay and tons of non "pleb" content

they said "oh buy in now for ten grand to this totally worthless shitpile" and they hired people that directly contradicted this narrative of backing a failure of a game

All so that they could make more loving money

And lum helped them with that. Full loving stop.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheAgent posted:

And lum helped them with that. Full loving stop.

What a bizarre conclusion to come to. You think whatever you want to think I guess.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What a bizarre conclusion to come to. You think whatever you want to think I guess.
go donate to brad mcquaids shitpile already goddamn

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Like maybe I need to post a huge DONT GIVE THESE PEOPLE MONEY post but ive done that for years so I dunno what else to do

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBooze posted:

And the taxing to victory catch phrase was from Lums hilarious WW2OL review. It was all over the place at the time and well outside the little cluster of communities surrounding Ranting of Lum the Mad. It popped up on Blues News a fair bit even.

So help me, I was in the IRC channel when that silliness was going down.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He was hired to specifically call out the "unbelievers" (and so were other people)

I wish I was joking or being hyperbolic. There was a time when they needed to project an image that everything was fine and "hey we are cool, we are good, we aren't a bunch of dumb fucks going to run this company into the ground"

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TheAgent posted:

Like maybe I need to post a huge DONT GIVE THESE PEOPLE MONEY post but ive done that for years so I dunno what else to do

The funniest thing about all of this you literally think you are some bastion of light singlehandedly fighting against a corrupt games industry trying to guide the sheep from handing over their hard earned money.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

jabro posted:

The funniest thing about all of this you literally think you are some bastion of light singlehandedly fighting against a corrupt games industry trying to guide the sheep from handing over their hard earned money.
how much are you in for

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just loving lol, please give these unscrupulous assholes more of your daddies money, goddamn

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dude. Chill.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Go read the first 20 pages of this thread lol

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Alexander DeLarge hyping SotA should've been a big red flag for everyone, in retrospect.

Before that, Ultimate Collector or whatever that bullshit garage sale game was that Garriott made before this dumpster fire.

Except instead of vitrually flipping assets, Portalarium turned it into a business model.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TheAgent posted:

how much are you in for

$45

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
:lol::lol::lol:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Bieeanshee posted:

So help me, I was in the IRC channel when that silliness was going down.

Are you bieeeardo

I think I originally found this site, the sa forums, because of a post you made on lums forums in like 1999 or 2000

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That was me, yup.

Edit: Stole this from a JeffK article to use as my avatar there.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

TheAgent posted:

We are old as gently caress

Thanks for playing

"The end! No moral."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also, to Lum, it must be loving weird to hear us talking about you like this, but I have to assume you're used to it by now. Hi, I really liked your site when I was in high school.

Thanks! It's only weird in that it happens in a very small microcosm of grognard MMO players from 20 years ago. (Many of which turned out to be game developers themselves, weirdly enough.)

The weirdest thing is that the stuff I'm proudest of in retrospect (my work on DAOC live, some of the writing on SotA, designs on a few games that never made it out the door) hardly ever get noticed, but you get drunk and go on IRC while trying to fly a plane online ONE TIME...

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 7, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bieeanshee posted:

That was me, yup.

Edit: Stole this from a JeffK article to use as my avatar there.

Oh my God I have a vague memory of you.

I don't even remember what my username was back then but I was a dumb cringey 14 year old so it's for the best.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Is there anyone in this thread under the age of 35? Jeez.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
wasting away again in boomeritaville
sucking on that m m o salt
some people say that theres a garriott to blame
but I know
its my own drat fault

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is there anyone in this forum under the age of 35? Jeez.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I missed out on the early MMO games because I was too young to own a credit card and my mom wouldn't approve of the bill. So I only played MUDs like a poor and occasionally the very short Meridian 59 demo. :(

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is there anyone in this thread under the age of 35? Jeez.

me, i was way too young when i started eq in 99

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

me but I didn't play that poo poo, I played diablo on battlenet and T4C on a private server back in those days

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

TheAgent posted:

wasting away again in boomeritaville
sucking on that m m o salt
some people say that theres a garriott to blame
but I know
its my own drat fault

I appreciate this..

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Shroud was a bad idea and Garriott was and is a hack.
That's my two cents :tipshat:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to talk about what would make this game a lot better, but really just shut down the servers and refund everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

I said come in! posted:

just shut down the servers and refund everyone.

one of these things will happen