Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

When is this long overdue update gonna hit? Been like 3 years on the current version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

2020 I'd wager.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The trailer said 2019, and a staff member supposedly said "December or earlier". Here's hoping it's soon.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just ran into an unintended, but not unwelcome interaction between mods. I'm running Fargo's Soul Mod and Luiafk. Luiafk lets you make fishing rods that don't need bait, and throw additional lures based on the number of angler quests completed. I had like 5 or 6 lures, then crafted the Angler's Soul, which makes all fishing rods throw 4 more lures. Suddenly I'm hurling an incredible death blossom of bobbers at an unsuspecting lake, because each lure from the endless rod is counting as a unique cast for the purpose of the soul. And since I've also disabled the angler quest timer, it's going to get more ridiculous very quickly.

I am become Death, the fisher of worlds.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Which mod disables the Angler quest timer?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's literally called just No Angler Timer.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Reduced grinding does that as well

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dareon posted:

Just ran into an unintended, but not unwelcome interaction between mods. I'm running Fargo's Soul Mod and Luiafk. Luiafk lets you make fishing rods that don't need bait, and throw additional lures based on the number of angler quests completed. I had like 5 or 6 lures, then crafted the Angler's Soul, which makes all fishing rods throw 4 more lures. Suddenly I'm hurling an incredible death blossom of bobbers at an unsuspecting lake, because each lure from the endless rod is counting as a unique cast for the purpose of the soul. And since I've also disabled the angler quest timer, it's going to get more ridiculous very quickly.

Finally, someone comes up with a way to make fishing more interesting.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Thought I'd dip back in for Halloween (I originally started playing Terraria in late October so it's a bit nostalgic) - I'm seeing pumpkins but not so much goodie bags and mobs in costumes. Have they lowered the spawn/drop rate or do I just need to be more patient?

Also holy heck I hate past me for not clearly labelling all the chests in my base.

...and leaving the Nebula Pillar there to wreck me as a I respawn in the main tower of my base. Finally got it after remembering I was wearing my Summoner loadout rather than melee.

Dareon posted:

Package these mods together and call it Big Bottom Trawler

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 25, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

...and leaving the Nebula Pillar there to wreck me as a I respawn in the main tower of my base.
this is why I always build within like, a screen length of where you spawn if you haven't set a bed as your spawn point

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Zereth posted:

this is why I always build within like, a screen length of where you spawn if you haven't set a bed as your spawn point

The older part was fine, but I'd expanded too far in one direction apparently (which was where my bed was).

I've forgotten - if I die to Moon Lord (likely), do the pillars respawn automatically, or do I have to go back and fight the Cultists again?

Silus
Dec 28, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I've forgotten - if I die to Moon Lord (likely), do the pillars respawn automatically, or do I have to go back and fight the Cultists again?

You have to go fight the Lunatic Cultist again to re-summon the pillars, or craft an item to summon the Moon Lord but that requires more pillar drops that you might be saving at this point.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Silus posted:

You have to go fight the Lunatic Cultist again to re-summon the pillars, or craft an item to summon the Moon Lord but that requires more pillar drops that you might be saving at this point.

That's good. Honestly just kinda want the pillars gone for a while!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
heh, looks like I can use hooks to get myself inside solid matter if I place a torch right as I reach the wall

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So the Dungeon Defender update just hit PS4 and while I'm finding it fun I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed when I destroyed every single enemy off screen baring Betsy with my Meowmere Sword and Solar Armour, the crystal demanding to be in a totally flat area sorta made things really easy for the bouncing cat sword beams,

The party event is nice though, that also came along with this update too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I don’t think I’ve ever spent any real time with the dungeon defender thing, I rarely even rescue the npc because I don’t want him taking up a room in my base

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The moonlord is officially the finally boss, and his drops are post-endgame equipment that are balanced to steamroll anything else in the game, so if you want to be challenged by anything they patch in at this point you have to start over or handicap yourself

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

So the Dungeon Defender update just hit PS4 and while I'm finding it fun I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed when I destroyed every single enemy off screen baring Betsy with my Meowmere Sword and Solar Armour, the crystal demanding to be in a totally flat area sorta made things really easy for the bouncing cat sword beams,

The party event is nice though, that also came along with this update too.

You're using endgame weaponry, it's a bit tougher if you do it earlier on

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
There's actually different gear between normal and hardmode

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ThaumPenguin posted:

You're using endgame weaponry, it's a bit tougher if you do it earlier on

Yeah, I realized that, but at the very least some of the armour looks neat so I'll chase that for cosmetic purposes.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I will say there's three levels of the Dungeon Defender event and the hardest kicked my rear end even in my endgame stuff. The real problem with it is how grindy it is if you want all the stuff in it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Starting to believe 1.4 is an elaborate prank being played on all of us.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Man be patient

It’s a free update, a big and final one, and they’re taking their sweet time because they can afford to, making it even more quality of a release

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Same, my friends are losing interest too

I'm fine playing by myself but you know

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's ok to stop playing and then... come back

i haven't opened terraria in half a year. it didn't hurt its feelings

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The game has been out for 7+ years, there is no interest left to lose, and nobody has to pay for this content

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Patware posted:

it's ok to stop playing and then... come back

i haven't opened terraria in half a year. it didn't hurt its feelings

It didn't help me when I couldn't remember which chests were which in my base tho :(

(I had labeled some with item frames, but not enough)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

You can name your chests and the name shows up when you hover over them

Also didn’t they say like December earliest?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

A Christmas release would be pretty neat.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Mobile just got 1.3 so we're all absolutely rolling in content while you all are still waiting, lol

Essentially you all are now in the exact same shoes as we mobile players always were in. Except since August 2016 we had zero updates, patches, or even hotfixes, just nothing the whole time, three years of radio silence. In the meantime Desktop got trickled out several hotfixes and content additions since 2016.

They're doing better now with patching mobile regularly, and listening to complaints, so we're catching up. But there is just. Too much. That's broken. The new controls are absolutely treacherous. They won't successfully fix them with little changes -- the whole UI design creates too many easy missteps / mistouches that instantly kill you or waste items. Practice does not help most of these.

Mobile of course also had to deal with a lot of game content that straight up got deleted by the big standardization they did to make it like desktop. Mobile was its own branch of code by 2016 with all sorts of QOL features that made phone controls less treacherous, extra gameplay content, etc. that's all gone now. It was really like a downgrade.

In short, I'm glad they're spending more attention on us than on you all for once. We need it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Mobile just got 1.3 so we're all absolutely rolling in content while you all are still waiting, lol

Essentially you all are now in the exact same shoes as we mobile players always were in. Except since August 2016 we had zero updates, patches, or even hotfixes, just nothing the whole time, three years of radio silence. In the meantime Desktop got trickled out several hotfixes and content additions since 2016.

They're doing better now with patching mobile regularly, and listening to complaints, so we're catching up. But there is just. Too much. That's broken. The new controls are absolutely treacherous. They won't successfully fix them with little changes -- the whole UI design creates too many easy missteps / mistouches that instantly kill you or waste items. Practice does not help most of these.

Mobile of course also had to deal with a lot of game content that straight up got deleted by the big standardization they did to make it like desktop. Mobile was its own branch of code by 2016 with all sorts of QOL features that made phone controls less treacherous, extra gameplay content, etc. that's all gone now. It was really like a downgrade.

In short, I'm glad they're spending more attention on us than on you all for once. We need it.

I'm glad that not-PC versions are getting some attention as well, which was my second biggest issue with them. The first being, as you said, controls. I've never been much for touch controls and I'm sorry to hear that they have regressed, but I've personally found that I just can't play Terraria on anything but mouse and keyboard - it's just too awkward. I own numerous copies of the game, but regardless if it's iPad, 3DS, PS4 or what have you, I feel that the game was clearly made for M&KB and I really can't enjoy it any other way. So, indirectly, you have my sympathy.

I am curious as to how mobile vs. console vs. PC match up in terms of content, though, and if anyone has any accurate and current sources that they can show that compare versions, I will have a look. I found some a few months ago at the Wiki, but I must be too thick to understand them. I think that I oversimplified and thought that PC was the most content-rich version and everything else was X updates behind, but I think that it's more complicated than that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Part of me wants to get it for mobile to play while commuting and during downtime but i have almost a decade of muscle memeory built up with kbm controls so I’ll stick with bloons for now

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JustJeff88 posted:

I am curious as to how mobile vs. console vs. PC match up in terms of content, though, and if anyone has any accurate and current sources that they can show that compare versions, I will have a look. I found some a few months ago at the Wiki, but I must be too thick to understand them. I think that I oversimplified and thought that PC was the most content-rich version and everything else was X updates behind, but I think that it's more complicated than that.

It is largely accurate.

The consoles and mobile ports used to have some extra content of their own, but this has pretty much all been axed. Reasons for the axinginclude being created by a studio (505) that is no longer associated with the development of the game, "not fitting with Re-Logic's vision", and getting in the way of catching up with the PC version more easily.

As things stand now, Terraria PC is on v1.3.5, waiting for 1.4
Xbox1/PS4 is on 1.3.1, waiting for 1.3.4
Switch is on 1.3.0, waiting for 1.3.1
Mobile is on 1.3.0, waiting for more 1.3.0 hotfixes

Older consoles (Xbox360, PS3, Wii U, Vita) are on 1.2.4.1 and will stay there. 3DS is on 1.2 and will stay there. Since they're no longer updated, they're the remaining source for Ocram and co. -- along with mods.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They also axed the best song in the game when they ditched the mobile branch: The alternate ocean theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfJiZx8e-gY

In the early days of playing this game I remember falling asleep to this music so many times, waiting for a fish to get hooked at the little pier I built, which is best sleep aid

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Essentially you all are now in the exact same shoes as we mobile players always were in.

can't hear you over all these mods

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cat Mattress posted:

It is largely accurate.

The consoles and mobile ports used to have some extra content of their own, but this has pretty much all been axed. Reasons for the axinginclude being created by a studio (505) that is no longer associated with the development of the game, "not fitting with Re-Logic's vision", and getting in the way of catching up with the PC version more easily.

As things stand now, Terraria PC is on v1.3.5, waiting for 1.4
Xbox1/PS4 is on 1.3.1, waiting for 1.3.4
Switch is on 1.3.0, waiting for 1.3.1
Mobile is on 1.3.0, waiting for more 1.3.0 hotfixes

Older consoles (Xbox360, PS3, Wii U, Vita) are on 1.2.4.1 and will stay there. 3DS is on 1.2 and will stay there. Since they're no longer updated, they're the remaining source for Ocram and co. -- along with mods.

I know that PC is, supposedly, going to stop at 1.4+fix patches (we've thought that done was done before, though); is there any stated intention to bring the "modern" consoles and mobile up to that same "end state" as well? Not to beat this drum too hard buy, while I don't mind giving Re-Logic more money for obvious reasons, less content + worse controls sums up pretty well why I've never cared much for anything but the PC version.

At this point, this game was so cheap and they have added so much, mods aside, that I don't even know how it's still financially viable for the studio despite the fact that Andrew has unabashedly stated that he made a packet on this even before Hard Mode was released.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that PC is, supposedly, going to stop at 1.4+fix patches (we've thought that done was done before, though); is there any stated intention to bring the "modern" consoles and mobile up to that same "end state" as well? Not to beat this drum too hard buy, while I don't mind giving Re-Logic more money for obvious reasons, less content + worse controls sums up pretty well why I've never cared much for anything but the PC version.

At this point, this game was so cheap and they have added so much, mods aside, that I don't even know how it's still financially viable for the studio despite the fact that Andrew has unabashedly stated that he made a packet on this even before Hard Mode was released.

The big holdup for 1.4 has been the console versions. They want a single Terraria going forward.

As for how it's still viable financially, Terraria has had the stupidest loving luck with sales. Every year is their best sales year to date, with the most recent figures putting them at some 3 million copies in the first half of 2019 and nearly 30 million total across all platforms. It is one of the best selling games of all time, coming in at 20th on Wikipedia's list.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 9, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I love this game but I didn't care for how the later invasion events depend on building mob grinders to run them. The goblin invasion for example I just ran until I "won" but the later ones are just cancelled because I ran out of time. Even though I was holding my own pretty well against the enemy hordes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

dis astranagant posted:

The big holdup for 1.4 has been the console versions. They want a single Terraria going forward.

As for how it's still viable financially, Terraria has had the stupidest loving luck with sales. Every year is their best sales year to date, with the most recent figures putting them at some 3 million copies in the first half of 2019 and nearly 30 million total across all platforms. It is one of the best selling games of all time, coming in at 20th on Wikipedia's list.

That's even better than I would have ever thought, but I am ready for them to say that Terraria has reached its zenith and they are going to do something else.

Having said that, since PC has always been the flagship version of the game, one would think that giving that the final update and then bringing everything else up to that state would be the way to go before bringing end to an era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Let me put those numbers into perspective: Terraria has sold better than every Call of Duty, every FIFA, every Madden, every Zelda, every Sonic, and has likely passed every Mario game and Pokemon generation but the firsts of those franchises by now. It's mindboggling.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 9, 2019