Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The idea of Ian Curtis being a folk musician is the funniest loving thing I’ve heard in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Helith posted:

The idea of Ian Curtis being a folk musician is the funniest loving thing I’ve heard in a long time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
On the eve of their first US tour Ian Curtis made a fateful decision that upended Joy Division and made their future uncertain when he... picked up one of those harmonica thingies that goes around your neck.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

I just discovered I can still get 8 hours of sleep tonight.

what is this profane sorcery

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That post was made immediately before watching videos on YouTube for 3 hours, I'm sure of it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pastry of the Year posted:

what is this profane sorcery

We do this ridiculous thing with our clocks twice a year in the US. In fall, we get a night that's an extra hour long. In spring, we get robbed.

California is currently debating doing away with it altogether, which is just as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Beachcomber posted:

We do this ridiculous thing with our clocks twice a year in the US. In fall, we get a night that's an extra hour long. In spring, we get robbed.

California is currently debating doing away with it altogether, which is just as well.

Things I learned today:

It isn't just a US thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country?wprov=sfla1

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not only do non-US countries use it but it can occur on different dates. I once arrived in London the week between the US falling back and the UK doing it, I didn't pay attention to the local arrival time on the reservation, just assuming it was 6 hours ahead of Chicago, and my assumption about being able to take a tube at that hour cost me £50 in a cab ride.

Also some countries have time zones that are out of synch with the majority of the world. India adds an extra :30 minutes (from a US perspective) but doesn't use DST. I needed to have a label on my laptop saying "India: +10:30 summer / + 11:30 winter from CENTRAL time" when I was traveling around the US and having to schedule calls with our team in India before or after the workday. That was before I learned Outlook can display multiple time zones in your calendar...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lindsay Ellis once apparently got incredibly out of control after mixing a ton of booze with pills. When the police tried to cart her away she kicked out the window of the cop car. This is both badass but also fairly sad.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I was going to skip this assuming it was some dumb thing but it is actually pretty great.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Shifty Nipples posted:

I was going to skip this assuming it was some dumb thing but it is actually pretty great.

It really is. Weirdly made my afternoon, even.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Admiralty Flag posted:

Not only do non-US countries use it but it can occur on different dates. I once arrived in London the week between the US falling back and the UK doing it, I didn't pay attention to the local arrival time on the reservation, just assuming it was 6 hours ahead of Chicago, and my assumption about being able to take a tube at that hour cost me £50 in a cab ride.

Also some countries have time zones that are out of synch with the majority of the world. India adds an extra :30 minutes (from a US perspective) but doesn't use DST. I needed to have a label on my laptop saying "India: +10:30 summer / + 11:30 winter from CENTRAL time" when I was traveling around the US and having to schedule calls with our team in India before or after the workday. That was before I learned Outlook can display multiple time zones in your calendar...

In Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory use a .30 time zone too, but while South Australia will use daylight savings the NT doesn't. There is even a small area in Western Australia around Eucla that uses a .45 timezone.
I think at the moment, due to only some of the states using DST, that there are 6 timezones in Australia though the country technically only covers 3 timezones.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/australia

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shifty Nipples posted:

The original one is pretty good too

https://youtu.be/yO7MWuJ7zLA

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Obligatory daylights saving video, My Cousin Oskarr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5q77MQzU2Q

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Oh, hey, we're talking about timezones?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

it turns out building this time machine is going to be way more complicated than I had anticipated

This isn't something I just figured out, but something I was reminded of recently: when I was young, I thought "Tupperware parties" were basically like informal little potlucks in which everyone brought and shared leftovers (because, of course, you kept them in Tupperware or similar containers).

They are actually multi-level marketing events wearing the skin of a party at which Tupperware is sort from catalogs, and I don't think I knew this until I was well into adulthood.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Merkinman posted:

I first encountered this trying to play around with injecting GPS coordinates into GIS software and going "but why is it different?".

The bit with the open source solution he mentions at the end is maintained by literal magicians that we should be thanking eternally for making sure our modern society doesn't just grind to a halt.

As mentioned, Australia currently has five timezones on the mainland, because reasons. China has one. Also reasons. I'm not sure which is dumber.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

This isn't something I just figured out, but something I was reminded of recently: when I was young, I thought "Tupperware parties" were basically like informal little potlucks in which everyone brought and shared leftovers (because, of course, you kept them in Tupperware or similar containers).

I also thought this. Of all the possible MLMs at least Tupperware is useful I guess.

Related but off topic I often refer to certain foods as “white women Tupperware party” dishes and my wife hates it. Anything made with Pillsbury croissants or biscuits, things in tiny crock pots, etc.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Downstairs from my office is a branch of the well-known department store Barney's.

For the last few months, they've been building a restaurant inside Barney's.

Named Fred's.

As in Fred and Barney.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Of course Fred is the top and Barney is the bottom.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Baron von Eevl posted:

Eh, it's a living!

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

Now we know what really happened at the Order of the Water Buffalo meetings.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Those horns were bugger's grips

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Memento posted:

I first encountered this trying to play around with injecting GPS coordinates into GIS software and going "but why is it different?".

The bit with the open source solution he mentions at the end is maintained by literal magicians that we should be thanking eternally for making sure our modern society doesn't just grind to a halt.

As mentioned, Australia currently has five timezones on the mainland, because reasons. China has one. Also reasons. I'm not sure which is dumber.

India also has only one. For reasons.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

it turns out building this time machine is going to be way more complicated than I had anticipated

They are actually multi-level marketing events wearing the skin of a party at which Tupperware is sort from catalogs, and I don't think I knew this until I was well into adulthood.

:aaa:

I can't believe I just figured this out had this explained to me!

Thank you, Shrimp of the Year!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Do they make Tupperware in colours besides Soviet Automobile Green, Crapula poo poo Reddish Brown, and How Can A Yellow Be Grayish nowadays? (I haven't seen any since the 80s when I was living with my parents.)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do they make Tupperware in colours besides Soviet Automobile Green, Crapula poo poo Reddish Brown, and How Can A Yellow Be Grayish nowadays? (I haven't seen any since the 80s when I was living with my parents.)

Yes, but I don't know why you'd want them. The old stuff is better than the new ones.

Ziploc basically ate Tupperware's lunch anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Yes, but I don't know why you'd want them. The old stuff is better than the new ones.

Ziploc basically ate Tupperware's lunch anyway.

Like I ever have any left-overs :laffo:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Soviet Automobile Green, Crapula poo poo Reddish Brown, and How Can A Yellow Be Grayish

I cannot be the only person who actually likes these colors, can I?

If I had $Texas amount of money, my living room would look like a German airport lounge from the 1970s.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I had $Texas amount of money, my living room would look like a German airport lounge from the 1970s.

I never said I didn't like them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Citizens of Commonwealth countries with a permanent address in the UK can vote in UK general elections.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I like them. I'm currently looking at buying a house and insist on a basement that looks like a sad swingers pad from the 60s.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I like them. I'm currently looking at buying a house and insist on a basement that looks like a sad swingers pad from the 60s.

Same. When we were looking for a house, we found one that had converted the garage into a den that you stepped down into and had all wood paneling and our realtor thought I was a dumbass for loving it. Just feels warm and cozy I guess?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Parasite is a new Korean horror movie with social commentary that people a buzzing about. They did not decide en masse to suddenly revisit The Host, a Korean horror movie with social commentary from 2006 by the same director.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I saw The Host, that was a loving great film. Didn't realise it was the same dude, I'll have to check out Parasite. Thanks!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Friend posted:

Same. When we were looking for a house, we found one that had converted the garage into a den that you stepped down into and had all wood paneling and our realtor thought I was a dumbass for loving it. Just feels warm and cozy I guess?

Totally!
We saw a house that needed some love but was brimming with spooky occult poo poo and I almost put an offer on the table.

Would it be weird to ask the previous owner to be my friend?
Probably. Unless...

Recently I learned that loads of people do not give a single gently caress about their house and will trash it for 20 years and then try to sell it for 400K.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

400k sounds pretty cheap.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Phy posted:

Citizens of Commonwealth countries with a permanent address in the UK can vote in UK general elections.

According to the insane spam calls I get during every Hungarian election, if you can claim Hungarian citizenship, you can vote in their elections. Even if you live in the US and have never been to Hungary.

I do have a Hungarian name and have Hungarian ancestry. I just can't speak Hungarian. So no dice for the spam callers. You have to speak Hungarian to claim citizenship even if you never visit Hungary.

That's a weird one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Amoeba102 posted:

400k sounds pretty cheap.

Yeah, actually.
Average price for Portland is 420K (blaze it) but it is on the decline, thank god.

I know some boomers that bought their houses for around 100K and are super pissed that they can't sell it for 750K+.

Oh no, now you'll only have to accept 500K boo hooooooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Memento posted:

Whilst those of us on the east coast would laugh at forcing Perth to have sunrise be at 9am and sunset at 10pm it seems a little mean.

On the flipside, Queensland not having daylight savings is idiotic and having the sun come up at 4am is really annoying when you have a small child that wakes up when it rises.