Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down and see a tory. It's trying to leave the EU. You reach down and you nationalise its industries. The tory lays on its back, its billions draining into the public purse, kicking its legs trying to leave the EU, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?

BECAUSE THEY'RE CUNTS, THAT'S WHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

PittTheElder posted:

As a Canadian I thought it was somehow a reference to this classic example of face-bus design:

Wheel boobs

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/TimRoss_1/status/1192169955606908928?s=20

Looks like the Tories are running the Theresa May 2017 campaign again, keeping their candidate as far away from real human beings as possible

can't they find a smaller venue to do this poo poo in

after a few times you'd think they'd get wise to "Tories owned by photojournalist thinking to walk back a few paces"

e: ok i imagine their solution would be more along the lines of "stop inviting non-Tory photojournalists" but even that would show they'd managed to do some actual thinking about it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

PittTheElder posted:

As a Canadian I thought it was somehow a reference to this classic example of face-bus design:

Also getting back to 'Canadian politics is weird, MPs seem to do nothing in their community' chat, which I would agree is completely correct, can some of you UKers explain what exactly makes up Constituency Work over there? It sounds like generally better representation than we get, where if MPs are in the community it's just for simple photo ops and to cozy up with the local chamber of commerce.

This is from pages and pages back but definitely watch In The Loop. Firstly because it's a great film, but secondly because of the scenes with Steve Coogan complaining about a wall collapsing into his mum's garden. Every MP from the lowliest backbencher to the PM themselves is expected to pay some level of attention to the small-scale issues going on in their constituency.

Of course every MP has office staff and the more important you are in your party the bigger / better staff you get, but in theory the MP is in charge and should make time for residents' issues.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ratjaculation posted:

Like a landlord finally fixing that black mould on the wall, they legally have to do it. They're still poo poo.
In this scenario, the Tories are the landlords and the Lib Dems are the black mold?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jabby posted:

drat what the gently caress has changed with the news?

Watched the News at 10, not only did they show clips of both Johnson and Corbyn but they actually mentioned the guy resigning over the rape trial and then pointed out that all the Tories spending pledges don't actually reverse the cuts they made since 2010.

It's like all the sucking up to the Tories was just to lull them into a false sense of security. Is this.. is this what a normal media is like?

the media more than anything else wants to make money and good content that gets views is the way to do that. the tories are loving up really badly so of course they're getting the focus

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

tom watsons loving off

I repeat

tom watsons loving off

Just loving rejoice at that news

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Twatson.

We'll do that for you.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Where are you all going that you get people berating you for not wearing a poppy? I never wear one and see plenty of people not wearing one and I've never once felt like anyone has been hostile towards me. Is this a fashy small-town OAP gammon thing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

Where are you all going that you get people berating you for not wearing a poppy? I never wear one and see plenty of people not wearing one and I've never once felt like anyone has been hostile towards me. Is this a fashy small-town OAP gammon thing?

i doubt anyone has it happening to them but if you're out political campaigning at this time of year its a small thing that might alter how the initial conversation goes negatively if you don't wear one

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

If this is in reference to my canvassing post from yesterday, it turned out that nobody gave a crap one way or another. I just didn't want to give any gammon on the doorstep any ammunition to use against the Labour party - no matter how minor.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Only the Lib Dems can beat the Tories while losing to Labour and the Greens!

Winning here! :shittydog:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Necrothatcher posted:

If this is in reference to my canvassing post from yesterday, it turned out that nobody gave a crap one way or another. I just didn't want to give any gammon on the doorstep any ammunition to use against the Labour party - no matter how minor.

No not at all, I've just noticed a bunch of jokes along the lines of 'WHERE'S YOUR POPPY???' which suggested that some people have actually been confronted for perceived lack of patriotism, which if it's happening on the street is very troubling indeed!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1192223010742325248

Good news for Labour if the Lib Dem vote share is concentrated in a handful of marginals.

Party Boat posted:

This is from pages and pages back but definitely watch In The Loop. Firstly because it's a great film, but secondly because of the scenes with Steve Coogan complaining about a wall collapsing into his mum's garden. Every MP from the lowliest backbencher to the PM themselves is expected to pay some level of attention to the small-scale issues going on in their constituency.

Of course every MP has office staff and the more important you are in your party the bigger / better staff you get, but in theory the MP is in charge and should make time for residents' issues.

The scene that really stuck with me from In The Loop was the MP being sacked from government, and immediately going from important briefings and chauffeur-driven limos to a tiny constituency office all day, every day listening to people whinge about septic tanks.

It really made me understand why a certain type of MP is so desperate to stay on the front bench. They don't give a flying gently caress about the type of problems that would be their day-job as a back-bench MP.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
In the diseased mind of the gammon, the only proper way to respect ARE troops is to wear some gauche red plastic fake flower, Rather than, y'know, actually materially supporting current and ex-service personnel.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guavanaut posted:

In this scenario, the Tories are the landlords and the Lib Dems are the black mold?

The Lib Dems are the stain on the carpet, but their polling suggests they will be the mould

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jabby posted:

Good news for Labour if the Lib Dem vote share is concentrated in a handful of marginals.

The scene that really stuck with me from In The Loop was the MP being sacked from government, and immediately going from important briefings and chauffeur-driven limos to a tiny constituency office all day, every day listening to people whinge about septic tanks.

It really made me understand why a certain type of MP is so desperate to stay on the front bench. They don't give a flying gently caress about the type of problems that would be their day-job as a back-bench MP.

This is why I have a teeny weeny molecule of respect for May not throwing in the towel after she got booted out. I'm betting she sees the 'drudgery' of normal MP work as some kind of weirdo judeochristian punishment thing though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Party Boat posted:

This is from pages and pages back but definitely watch In The Loop.

This looks legit, thanks for the recommendation!

Beginning to think I should just watch everything Armando Iannucci has made.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
IIRC Maggie stuck it out for a while as a backbencher before becoming a peer

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/PeterSharpley3/status/1192228740673224704

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ms Adequate posted:

Never thought I'd feel even a smidgen of sympathy for a newspaper editor but I'd invite you to put yourselves in the shoes of someone who has to decide which Tory fuckup actually goes on tomorrow's front page

Me thinking about tomorrow nights show notes.

:distonk:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ash Crimson posted:

In the diseased mind of the gammon, the only proper way to respect ARE troops is to wear some gauche red plastic fake flower, Rather than, y'know, actually materially supporting current and ex-service personnel.

Do the British Legion actually do much in the way of supporting veterans etc? They must rake in a shitload of cash, so I'd hope at least some of that goes towards retraining/mental health support/housing etc. Afaik veterans still get a pretty raw deal of it. At least we're not quite to the level of the USA yet, though I love the idea of valour stealing. I remember watching some video a while back where this 19 year old American guy was going about in military fatigues pretending to be a soldier not even trying to scam people out of money just because it got him laid all the time lol.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Ms Adequate posted:

Never thought I'd feel even a smidgen of sympathy for a newspaper editor but I'd invite you to put yourselves in the shoes of someone who has to decide which Tory fuckup actually goes on tomorrow's front page

*in extreme tabloid* what Tory fuckups???

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Private Speech posted:

I guess I'm just sad for people perma'd in general. I did read the thread and didn't vote for him there because of the transphobic stuff, even though I don't really remember the posts in question. The racist mention of "urban" though, well, the government uses it too and then there's TinTower's coconut posts, which I think was even worse. I dunno.

e: gently caress it was TinTower. Err. Sorry?

Did you see the "haha just joking" Holocaust denial / killing Jews stuff?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

Lol gently caress off

Lmao how do you all get trolled by Shakey Beef, LF Maoism poster extraordinar, every time he posts.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Why is it when I see any mention of a pedo-hunter group in the news I assume there is a high probability they are actual pedos?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Wish the pissflaps thread hadn't been goldmined so quickly...

My post that earned a probation was the set up and the punchline was going to be the picture of the "What are you going to do, stab me?" stabbed man quote.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Lol, pretty much every front page is talking about Labour's calamitous day of woe wrt Tom Watson leaving and how fresh questions have been raised about Corbyn..

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jabby posted:

Not really, if they're Labour marginals and Labour votes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Do the British Legion actually do much in the way of supporting veterans etc? They must rake in a shitload of cash, so I'd hope at least some of that goes towards retraining/mental health support/housing etc. Afaik veterans still get a pretty raw deal of it. At least we're not quite to the level of the USA yet, though I love the idea of valour stealing. I remember watching some video a while back where this 19 year old American guy was going about in military fatigues pretending to be a soldier not even trying to scam people out of money just because it got him laid all the time lol.

They do a huge amount of work, particularly in the area of mental health - PTSD and institutionalisation are massive problems with ex-service people. They also do a lot of work around education and retraining for people when leaving the services, and physical rehab for injured personnel. The poppies themselves are made by disabled ex-servicepeople (and have been since the very start) as both paying work and occupational therapy.

It's one of the reasons I particularly hate Help for Heroes (quite apart from their fashy vibe), as they (at least until recently) completely ignored mental health issues, and also funded things like hospital beds for injured squaddies, something that RBL have always refused to do on the (very reasonable) grounds that that is absolutely something the MoD should be doing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lib Dems are usually doing well in Tory Marginals. Could be the Lib Dems return to 2010 numbers by taking Tory seats split between them and Brexit.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

The butterfly meme, but "Is this purdah?"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Me thinking about tomorrow nights show notes.

:distonk:

One of these episodes really is just going to be every UKMT goon laughing for 97 minutes

E; gently caress me that's blatant even by Mail standards :laugh:

e2; Mail: DISASTER FOR CORBYN! WATSON LEAVES!
Everyone in Labour: Oh gently caress what a great end to a great day! On yer bike Tom lad! *Blows vuvuzela for 14 straight hours*

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 7, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They do a huge amount of work, particularly in the area of mental health - PTSD and institutionalisation are massive problems with ex-service people. They also do a lot of work around education and retraining for people when leaving the services, and physical rehab for injured personnel. The poppies themselves are made by disabled ex-servicepeople (and have been since the very start) as both paying work and occupational therapy.

It's one of the reasons I particularly hate Help for Heroes (quite apart from their fashy vibe), as they (at least until recently) completely ignored mental health issues, and also funded things like hospital beds for injured squaddies, something that RBL have always refused to do on the (very reasonable) grounds that that is absolutely something the MoD should be doing.

Ah cool, thanks.

On the last point though, surely hospital beds for injured squaddies are paid for? I mean, they are British citizens and we have an NHS (for now at least).

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

forkboy84 posted:

Labour won this seat by 2,500 votes last time. He's quickly likely gifting the seat to the Tories. What a comrade.

This quality line from a Tory MP went under the radar

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1192160419235786753?s=20

Property ownership is the same as life to Tories, which is presumably why they don't mind seeing those with nothing die off.
Fuckin Andrew Neil is defending Corbyn now? Welcome to Tiny Train World I guess :v:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ms Adequate posted:

fake edit: partially beaten by HJB but going to post anyway. never stop posting

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Angepain posted:

fake edit: partially beaten by HJB but going to post anyway. never stop posting

Bloooooooo-dy hell

They must have cum themselves dry when they heard Watson was gone so they had something anti-Labour for the morning edition :v:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

HJB posted:

Boris channeling Churchill? But yesterday I was told it was Corbyn that would commit genocide. Oh I'm so confused

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Maybe they mean the insurance dog, given his day was a wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ms Adequate posted:

One of these episodes really is just going to be every UKMT goon laughing for 97 minutes

This week - hell just today - has probably enough material for half-a-dozen episodes of the entirety of the UKMT laughing for 97 mins.

HJB posted:

That's stretching reality even for the Mail :lol: