Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kazak posted:

The horses return in Rise of Skywalker, their lineage may or may not be integral to the plot

One of the horses is force sensitive and does some kinda poo poo that saves the Resistence (off screen, in a comic or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"It's only worth freeing the slaves that will be useful to our rebellion" is a very modern corporate bit of messaging, and something the prequels specifically criticised the Jedi for (Luke was also freed and weaponised by them, obviously).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

"It's only worth freeing the slaves that will be useful to our rebellion" is a very modern corporate bit of messaging, and something the prequels specifically criticised the Jedi for (Luke was also freed and weaponised by them, obviously).

but they didn't actually free the animals back into their natural habitat, they just set them loose in a city where they will be quickly recaptured.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

lol so this is the kind of person who actually couldn't think through why freeing the horses was dumb.

Guy it wasn't because "they won't be useful to the resistance" lol wtf. There are actually people not 8 years old who don't realize why that scene was foolish??? Oh my god haha.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rutibex posted:

but they didn't actually free the animals back into their natural habitat, they just set them loose in a city where they will be quickly recaptured.

Rose: "We freed those horse things. . . everything is worth it!"
Finn: "Yeah. . . <fist pump>
Benicio del Toro: "W-w-w-w-what about those k-k-k-kids? I think s-s-s-some of them were sex s-s-s-s-s-slaves?"
Rose & Finn: ". . . the First Order is baaaaaad!"
Benicio del Toro: <blank stare>

Benicio del Toro: <reads up on the resistance, notes it's tied to Jedi>
Benicio del Toro: <reads up on the Jedi, how they abducted young kids>
Benicio del Toro: <gives first order a way to track the fleeing resistance pedos>

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Blistex posted:

Rose: "We freed those horse things. . . everything is worth it!"
Finn: "Yeah. . . <fist pump>
Benicio del Toro: "W-w-w-w-what about those k-k-k-kids? I think s-s-s-some of them were sex s-s-s-s-s-slaves?"
Rose & Finn: ". . . the First Order is baaaaaad!"
Benicio del Toro: <blank stare>

Benicio del Toro: <reads up on the resistance, notes it's tied to Jedi>
Benicio del Toro: <reads up on the Jedi, how they abducted young kids>
Benicio del Toro: <gives first order a way to track the fleeing resistance pedos>

:lol:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The First Order is an organisation that's trying to stop galactic child-trafficking.

Kylo Ren is a child-abuse survivor who was abducted by his creepy uncle with his parent's permission (really more indifference). When he was old enough that he was no longer "Luke's type" he narrowly escaped death at the hands of his uncle. On that day he vowed to help end the horrific practice and joined the FO. The First order has actually been rescuing children from "Jedi Grooming" planets for decades, which is where they got Finn.

Also Luke didn't sacrifice himself. Yoda's force ghost killed him so that he wouldn't name names

Luke Skywalker is basically the Jeffrey Epstein of the Star Wars universe

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Luke Skywalker Force-hung himself off the tree holding sacred Jedi texts during the twelve minutes R2D2’s holographic recorder was malfunctioning, the whole time while Yoda booty danced

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Force double post

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Blistex posted:

The First Order is an organisation that's trying to stop galactic child-trafficking.

Kylo Ren is a child-abuse survivor who was abducted by his creepy uncle with his parent's permission (really more indifference). When he was old enough that he was no longer "Luke's type" he narrowly escaped death at the hands of his uncle. On that day he vowed to help end the horrific practice and joined the FO. The First order has actually been rescuing children from "Jedi Grooming" planets for decades, which is where they got Finn.

Also Luke didn't sacrifice himself. Yoda's force ghost killed him so that he wouldn't name names

Luke Skywalker is basically the Jeffrey Epstein of the Star Wars universe
the First Order provides training and education to the children left behind by the reign of an incestuous warmonger

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

poisonpill posted:

Luke Skywalker Force-hung himself off the tree holding sacred Jedi texts during the twelve minutes R2D2’s holographic recorder was malfunctioning, the whole time while Yoda booty danced

No, Palpatine force killed Skywalker, it's become clear to me!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Anakin is a big fan of the funky spiderman. That's why it became his signature move later.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
They detected the cloaked ships by hitting the “detect cloaked ships” button

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gutcruncher posted:

lol I'd forgotten about this.

There's so many ridiculous things in TLJ it's impossible to keep track of them all!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

you can't just spam the detect cloaked ships button. its has a 60sec cooldown

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Was there a swirly ball of some kind? To show that it's working?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Rutibex posted:

you can't just spam the detect cloaked ships button. its has a 60sec cooldown

They were still on cooldown when Admiral Purplehair used her Ult and cleared the map

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I was watching TNG a few days ago and they did a less stupid FTL jump into someone's face maneuver, why don't star wars copy that :shrug:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Make it so R2

👉 Engage

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Look, they never used hyperdrives as weapons before because nobody else was so desperate and clever. Who'd else be willing to sacrifice themselves like that, huh?

And they can't have guided hyperdrive torpedoes or something because, duh, hyperdrive only goes on a ship, that's in the rules. The Star Wars rules. And they can't make robots pilot ships with hyperdrives and ram with those because that's just a roundabout way to make a big torpedo. I can see you trying to rule-lawyer me here and I won't have it. I told you no. You hear me?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In a world where light bounces off light, I'm willing to allow for dramatic flair. This isn't star trek so reconciling the wave frequency of the warp core in S1E5 vs S6E2 isn't necessary.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Look, they never used hyperdrives as weapons before because nobody else was so desperate and clever. Who'd else be willing to sacrifice themselves like that, huh?

And they can't have guided hyperdrive torpedoes or something because, duh, hyperdrive only goes on a ship, that's in the rules. The Star Wars rules. And they can't make robots pilot ships with hyperdrives and ram with those because that's just a roundabout way to make a big torpedo. I can see you trying to rule-lawyer me here and I won't have it. I told you no. You hear me?

imo this is one reason people like fantasy settings for pen and paper RPGs; when the DM says "No you can't do this, because magic doesn't work that way", well, magic is weird. But if you tell me there's a hyperdrive and it works like this, I'm going to want use it like a torpedo and if you say I can't, you better explain.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if hyperdrive ramming was a thing it would have been really easy to assassinate the emperor. there's millions of space ship flying around coruscant all the time. just send one down on a suicide mission and instead of landing at the space port just hyperdrive 9/11 into palpatines office

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Wow is rey really gonna turn out to be shmi from episode 1?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pham Nuwen posted:

imo this is one reason people like fantasy settings for pen and paper RPGs; when the DM says "No you can't do this, because magic doesn't work that way", well, magic is weird. But if you tell me there's a hyperdrive and it works like this, I'm going to want use it like a torpedo and if you say I can't, you better explain.

Someone said earlier in the thread the Hyperdrive instantly puts you into Hyperspace, so you're just going to pass harmlessly through anything in your way because you're no longer occupying their space or their "level of space". The danger is coming out of hyperspace and ending up in the middle of a star or asteroid field.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The hyperspace thing looked awesome but was a real loving for the suspension of disbelief necessary for Star Wars space combat as a whole. The obvious way to fig-leaf it enough that it doesn't immediately raise the question of why kamikaze tactics weren't plan A since you can blow up the biggest fuckin ship to ever exist with that is probably just to have Benicio Del Toro gently caress around a little more when he's hacking poo poo and disable something extra. Call it some kind of specialized shield or a gravity well or whatever, who cares. Maybe Holdo notices this when she's by herself and it prompts her to turn the ship around instead of some less effective diversion

Then Hux can be like "lol check out this dumbass, if she does what I think she's doing she's just gonna splatter on our windshield" as she wheels her ship around and a subordinate could be like "uh sir, somebody turned off our ${technobabbleDeviceName}, it'll be minutes before we're able to get it back online" and Hux could be like "oh gently caress" and then Holdo does it

That's really all it would have taken to shut everyone up about it and I wouldn't expect it to take more than 20-30 seconds of extra screentime combined

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The hyperspace thing looked awesome but was a real loving for the suspension of disbelief necessary for Star Wars space combat as a whole. The obvious way to fig-leaf it enough that it doesn't immediately raise the question of why kamikaze tactics weren't plan A since you can blow up the biggest fuckin ship to ever exist with that is probably just to have Benicio Del Toro gently caress around a little more when he's hacking poo poo and disable something extra. Call it some kind of specialized shield or a gravity well or whatever, who cares. Maybe Holdo notices this when she's by herself and it prompts her to turn the ship around instead of some less effective diversion

Then Hux can be like "lol check out this dumbass, if she does what I think she's doing she's just gonna splatter on our windshield" as she wheels her ship around and a subordinate could be like "uh sir, somebody turned off our ${technobabbleDeviceName}, it'll be minutes before we're able to get it back online" and Hux could be like "oh gently caress" and then Holdo does it

That's really all it would have taken to shut everyone up about it and I wouldn't expect it to take more than 20-30 seconds of extra screentime combined

Look at this guy, expecting stuff to be explained in New Star Wars.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Blistex posted:

Look at this guy, expecting stuff to be explained in New Star Wars.

I wouldn’t expect anything less from the incredulous hulk.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Outpost22 posted:

Wow is rey really gonna turn out to be shmi from episode 1?

do rey shmi fa so la ti do

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

do rey shmi fa solo ti do

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

hyperspace annihilation or dumb space bombers moving at a sluglike pace? obviously bombers

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

I was watching TNG a few days ago and they did a less stupid FTL jump into someone's face maneuver, why don't star wars copy that :shrug:
they thought spaceship ramming was something they came up with lmao

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

This creates another problem though: if you fix this problem in thirty seconds, you can fix all the other problems in thirty seconds, and you end up with a movie forty seven days long.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

It makes no sense to fix one or another piece of TLJ. The only real fix would be to throw the whole script in the trash.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
It's almost like Disney Star Wars is designed by a committee that includes coked-up marketers and the chinese government and they just take all input and mash it together without regards for how the final product looks, and then Rhian Johnson made things worse by using whatever leeway he had to just poo poo all over everything.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's almost like Disney Star Wars is designed by a committee that includes coked-up marketers and the chinese government and they just take all input and mash it together without regards for how the final product looks, and then Rhian Johnson made things worse by using whatever leeway he had to just poo poo all over everything.

Almost as if

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Yaldabaoth posted:

:aaaaa:

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
The Last Jedi was not a good movie or a decent Star Wars film.

the rat fandom fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 7, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So are they just excising Rose from the story in the new movie like she's a CCCP official who had a falling out with Stalin? I don't see her in any of the promotional poo poo.

if so then lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sydin posted:

So are they just excising Rose from the story in the new movie like she's a CCCP official who had a falling out with Stalin? I don't see her in any of the promotional poo poo.

if so then lol

Didn't Rose die? I thought she flew pointlessly into the big ground laser.

I had pretty well checked out of the movie by that point though...