Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean as dumb as Seb is, it is worth remembering that after seven decades of communist rule not only was a stateless society not achieved, the two states that dominated the communist world grew to be far more oppressive and illiberal than any western regime.

US had more prisoners (not per capita, absolute number) than China up until the Uigyer genocide. I'd need to check the numbers to see if China has passed us with the million+ currently detained.

At the height of the gulag system, Russia edged us out per capita but not by that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

It's almost as if there should be some sort of doctrine of fairness.

edit: not my cat

Meatlong Football fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 7, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

The Americanization of Italians was a huge, weird, republican oriented campaign initiative in the late 70s and early 80s.

At the 1980 RNC, the mayor of Providence, Rhode Island Buddy Cianci gave a speech declaring his pround italian heritage. He was running for Governor in 1980, and when he lost the election he held a celebration party because he was going to remain Mayor.

He was also mobbed up as hell because it turns out Providence was the third biggest mob town on the east coast between Boston and NYC.

Kids know him today as the namesake of the school on Family Guy.

My family was friends with the FBI agent who took him down. Was his proudest moment in public service.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

OAquinas posted:

Ignore the book. It's Louise Mensh-level fanfic at best trying to grift the #Resistance types.

Even if the claim was true, they didn't do it and they plainly won't at this point.

I don't care if it's true or not because I'm sure Trump will hear of it and he'll believe it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Strange Poon posted:

I don't care if it's true or not because I'm sure Trump will hear of it and he'll believe it.

Yeah, this will be all over cable and twitter and he's going to get paranoid.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

FizFashizzle posted:

The Americanization of Italians was a huge, weird, republican oriented campaign initiative in the late 70s and early 80s.

At the 1980 RNC, the mayor of Providence, Rhode Island Buddy Cianci gave a speech declaring his pround italian heritage. He was running for Governor in 1980, and when he lost the election he held a celebration party because he was going to remain Mayor.

He was also mobbed up as hell because it turns out Providence was the third biggest mob town on the east coast between Boston and NYC.

Kids know him today as the namesake of the school on Family Guy.

If you're interested in this, season 1 of crimetown is a loving wild ride

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's similar to american organized crime before/after the prohibition. They'll still exist, but if you take away by far the majority of their cashflow they become much, much less acute of a problem.

Except that with climate change progressing as it is, if things stay the same then the likelihood is that the cartels are going to get much stronger and more powerful and dangerous. They're already the de-facto government and power structure in many places. They're well armed, well funded, and they have decades of infrastructure laid down. Now throw in a cataclysmic, unending drought that hits the entirety of Central America and you've got a Mad Max situation way sooner than a lot of even climate-aware Americans think.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Super-Id posted:

Obviously this nomination should be rejected on account of that this is clearly some sort of goblin and not a human being.

Rachel Dratch doesn't deserve that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

...is it just me, or is trump getting fewer and fewer friendly replies to his tweets?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions will lose like a dog.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean as dumb as Seb is, it is worth remembering that after seven decades of communist rule not only was a stateless society not achieved, the two states that dominated the communist world grew to be far more oppressive and illiberal than any western regime.

I wonder if the ruthless political ambitions of the world's greatest mass-murderer to co-opt the machinery of state in order to eliminate all rival schools of thought from the political discourse of his nation to cement his personal power had anything to do with that?

Nah, probably just a coincidence.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Chickens are a cruel people.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
And by "no one"
https://twitter.com/TimMurtaugh/status/1191488378283417605
he means "the right people" never call to fact check. Because he won't respond to some :(
this is my favorite follow up:
https://twitter.com/TimMurtaugh/status/1192171227911204865

quote:

The campaign paid for Kamis to travel to New York City on Sept. 26, where she attended a VIP breakfast at Cipriani. While the president did not attend the buffet breakfast as the contest details would suggest, Kamis was able to mingle with the likes of Donald Trump Jr., Kimberly Guilfoyle, and Elizabeth Pipko before being ushered into another room to meet the president and have their photo taken together.

quote:

“He wanted to know about me — who I was, what I did, where I was from — he wanted know about my dad, about my family,” he continued. “He really took time to get to know me … He was almost like a long lost family member. Like a grandpa or an uncle I had never met.”
PICTURE BREAK

quote:

At one point during the approximately ten minute conversation,
womp womp

quote:

“It is definitely not a scam,” Kamis concurred.
"things scammers say" for $500, Alex.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apologies if this is out of place in this thread, but have y'all noticed the big red MAKE SOMETHING AWFUL AGAIN banner ad recently? The one that links to This loving Photoshop Phriday from 2005 that is accessible from the front page?

Well, there's some discussion about it going on in the QCS Ad Issues Thread, but it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere and I want this thread to loving see it, seeing as how it gets a solid amount of traffic and I figure y'all are the sorts of goons who would care to know that this was going on.

It starts on page 32 (also btw, check out the biz about the Scarboil ad that was posted back in September and links to something called "n***er thread". Seems to be a trend of people buying ads for hosed up chud kicks) and mainly consists of PHIZ KALIFA and myself talking sense and a bunch of non-D&D goons going "but you can't delete history maaaaan" and that's pretty much it.

A few people have suggested the brilliant idea of taking all of the old offensive stuff (like that Photoshop Phriday and some of the Fashion SWAT pages that are ridiculously transphobic) and putting it all in one place. To keep it all accessible (because it's the History Of The Site and apparently a page where Zack P. says stuff like: "Emotionally transgendered" is pretty much the definition I think of when I derisively call someone a human being. You can throw dicks up asses all you want, you can be Carson from Queer Eye in a faded pink Morrissey shirt, but you're just gay. This guy is a loving human being" is a valuable relic that must be shared with those who seek it) but put up a disclaimer explaining that We Disavow It and It's Not Who SA Is Anymore. You know, so we can make it even way way easier for Proud Boys to find it all and link it to one-another.

Anyway I'm gonna just leave this here.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Emotionally Transgendered is a pretty good username.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Emotionally Transgendered is a pretty good username.

I agree

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
https://twitter.com/sharsaysso/status/1192138725523746816?s=21

Wow. This will probably inspire those purity ball motherfuckers and other conservatives.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

CubanMissile posted:

Wow. This will probably inspire those purity ball motherfuckers and other conservatives.

what

what the gently caress

quote:

T.I. also noted that he was informed the hymen can be broken in ways other than through sexual penetration. "And so then they come and say, ‘Well, I just want you to know that there are other ways besides sex that the hymen can be broken like bike riding, athletics, horseback riding, and just other forms of athletic physical activity,'" he said. "So I say, ‘Look, Doc, she don’t ride no horses, she don’t ride no bike, she don’t play no sports. Just check the hymen, please, and give me back my results expeditiously.'"

His results. What the gently caress this is gross.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty sure things like that are illegal since she is an adult

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Yeah I saw this earlier today. Couldn't she just ask the doctor to lie to her dad?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh no it’s totally cool because he gets consent

quote:

So we’ll go and sit down and the doctor comes and talk, and the doctor’s maintaining a high level of professionalism," T.I. said. "He’s like, ‘You know, sir, I have to, in order to share information’ — I’m like, 'Deyjah, they want you to sign this so we can share information. Is there anything you would not want me to know? See, Doc? Ain't no problem.'"

See, she agrees when she gets asked in the same room as her dad so it’s totally very cool and legal :downs:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
She should move out, write a book about the joys of anal sex, and then dedicate it to her father's crazy rear end rules.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
gently caress, that's gross.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If her dad is that controlling he might have coerced her into signing a release of information.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

CubanMissile posted:

She should move out, write a book about the joys of anal sex, and then dedicate it to her father's crazy rear end rules.
Unless he doesn't actually have any rear end rules, in which case the attempt at irony would fail :shrug:

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

it absolutely is and unless he somehow got her to sign her rights away the doctor and TI should be charged for this.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Unless he doesn't actually have any rear end rules, in which case the attempt at irony would fail :shrug:

There's no way someone that crazy about his daughter's virginity doesn't think anal sex is like the worst thing she can do. Well, unless it's a religious thing and not a creepy overprotective dad thing. Going to Catholic school I learned people have some really wacky loopholes they stand by when it comes to doing things based on bible rules.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

Yeah, it just gets crazier and worse- like, I don’t know if his implication is that she doesn’t do any physical activities because she doesn’t want to or because he stops her in order to help him better keep tabs on her purity.

Also- I hope this gets more people talking about misogynoir (man, I really wish KM was here right now).

There’s a FUCKTON of grotesque patriarchal horseshit that men in the Hispanic and black communities maintain and proudly hold up (see anything about Steve Harvey), and it’s left pretty much entirely up to black and Hispanic women to be the only ones discussing and fighting it.

Meanwhile white Liberals do everything in their power to ~not get involved or pass judgment~ because it’s *not their place* to go interfering in a community’s culture. This even goes for a lot of white Liberal women and women’s rights activists.

So expect any takes that we hear about TI’s parenting to come exclusively from women of color. Reminds me of all the hemming and hawing about “alienating the black vote” that centrist Dems did wrt supporting gay rights back in the 90s and 00s.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
I don't remember seeing this

https://twitter.com/RepLouCorrea/status/1189949160637775873?s=20

Here's an article with more information: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3kxw4b/congressman-lou-correa-shames-blizzard-for-letting-nazis-run-wild-in-world-of-warcraft

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So in addition to credit scores, ChexSystems, and other crap, we have to deal with this bullshit now too? Can't believe I wasn't aware of these things.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/business/secret-consumer-score-access.html

quote:

As consumers, we all have “secret scores”: hidden ratings that determine how long each of us waits on hold when calling a business, whether we can return items at a store, and what type of service we receive. A low score sends you to the back of the queue; high scores get you elite treatment.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The Enclave is a nazi guild run by an absolute waste of flesh known as BuzzCutPsycho, who got his start (afaik) in the game Planetside-- a massively multiplayer FPS where you can engage in forever war on the side of capitalist pastiches, spandex-wearing technophiles, or jackbooted fascists. I'll give you one guess which group they played as! Horrigan there is BCP himself.

They've been around for a long time, pulling this poo poo the whole way, and the companies running these games don't do a thing. It's hosed up.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

CubanMissile posted:

There's no way someone that crazy about his daughter's virginity doesn't think anal sex is like the worst thing she can do. Well, unless it's a religious thing and not a creepy overprotective dad thing. Going to Catholic school I learned people have some really wacky loopholes they stand by when it comes to doing things based on bible rules.
hmmm, well you make a good point good thing we cleared this up

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Sure. And I'm sure the same Democratic state reps that keep our tax code here regressive would apply that same logic to Jeff Bezos' and Bill Gates, et al.

Somehow it's only when it comes to taxes on the poor that we break out the "externalities" argument.

Like I said, I did vote to reject I-976. But it wasn't out of a love of car tab fees it was because the programs they currently fund are important. But ideally they should be funded by other mechanisms that don't gently caress over working people.

Maybe the legal challenge will succeed. On the one hand, I hope it does, because the programs funded currently by that fee are important. On the other hand, I kind of hope it doesn't, because it will be a direct refutation of the will of the people and because it will hurt Democrats in this state who, as much as they suck, I would prefer to have power over WA GOP.

It doesn't help. And if you're right, then additional regressive taxation is not needed to discourage people from driving cars - only effective public transport would be. I believe this to be the case.

According to the Washington State official election results there is still 620,000 ballots that still need to be processed, so it isn't set in stone that any statewide measures have passed yet.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cabbit posted:

The Enclave is a nazi guild run by an absolute waste of flesh known as BuzzCutPsycho, who got his start (afaik) in the game Planetside-- a massively multiplayer FPS where you can engage in forever war on the side of capitalist pastiches, spandex-wearing technophiles, or jackbooted fascists. I'll give you one guess which group they played as! Horrigan there is BCP himself.

They've been around for a long time, pulling this poo poo the whole way, and the companies running these games don't do a thing. It's hosed up.

LOL I remember him from PS2. I'd kill him a lot and he'd send salty tells at me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow buzzcutpsycho lol, I used to teamkill him all the time. The goon outfit in planetside was in the Terran faction, so that shitbird was around a lot since he was a rank 5 leader guy and could use the global faction chat, which made it obvious what a massive tool he was. Doesn't surprise me at all he's an actual nazi.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

sexpig by night posted:

and how does pricing the lower classes out of cars, while making sure the rich idiots in theirs keep them, help the city as a whole? Don't try to spin this as collectivism when it's a punitive tax on the lowest rungs of society that won't do a drat thing for the city infrastructure.

It's not about car ownership as a 'right', it's about the fact that you can't make it magically not true that you DO need cars to get around most cities in America, and approaching that problem from 'we should get rid of cars, then' first is rear end backwards thinking.

That doesn't even include that not all of us live in cities.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow buzzcutpsycho lol, I used to teamkill him all the time. The goon outfit in planetside was in the Terran faction, so that shitbird was around a lot since he was a rank 5 leader guy and could use the global faction chat, which made it obvious what a massive tool he was. Doesn't surprise me at all he's an actual nazi.

I've had a number of run-ins with him over the years- as I recall he (and some of the higher ups in his cult) work at a prison. He also used to have a gigantic website he maintained that was explicitly to mock and humiliate any woman on World of Warcraft he could convince to cyber with him. Like... the entire website was just screenshot collage's of people's cybering with him so that he could humiliate them.

It was more than a little creepy and weird...

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 7, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

InsertPotPun posted:

And by "no one"
https://twitter.com/TimMurtaugh/status/1191488378283417605
he means "the right people" never call to fact check. Because he won't respond to some :(
this is my favorite follow up:
https://twitter.com/TimMurtaugh/status/1192171227911204865

PICTURE BREAK

womp womp

I'm surprised he doesn't do the cardboard cutout like he did with his university "You get a picture with Donald J Trump" *stands you next to a cardboard image*

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

InsertPotPun posted:

I've posted about this before, but if I have to be up for this 4am call, I'll pop in again.

Contest Law is *a thing*, and running a contest (or more technically in this case, a sweepstakes) without it being properly registered can result in HUGE fines and even jail time. You don't get to just, Michael Scott-style say "I declare a contest" and only reap the rewards. The full list of winners and the procedures for determining that list of winners needs to be made available, and should have been registered in each of the 50 states before the contest began.

Which is why I'm 100% sure this was done without any thought at all other than what pictures to use, and they're scrambling right now to find people who were at events who are comfortable saying they were there because they won a contest.

In a just world, this would be as big a deal for people in positions of power as it is for a guy running a hot tub store on the side of the highway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Which is more powerful, Contest Law or Tree Law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Really, the problem with the cartels is that there's too many of them, right? There's too many hits. They can't get anything done.

Pick one, provide them with a bunch of fancy heaters, help them knock over all the other cartels. Then we take a percentage - our piece of the action - and nobody has to get shot up any more.

(please, please, please do not mention this within earshot of any Trump administration official)

As long as they're not on the other end of the blower, we should be fine.