Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Infinity Gaia posted:

He had a dumb half-destroyed cowboy hat.

Okay now I remember Greg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Even setting aside the psp version of Star Ocean 2, you could run a team of Rena/Celine/Opera/Precis/Chisato with your pick of four dudes for the last three spots.

SO2 has a real problem where the best female character and the best male character are mutually exclusive though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Opera and Ashton? I don't think I've ever played another RPG that has more recruitable characters than you can fit like that. There's like thirteen dudes and you can only pick eight.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, you can't get Opera if you get Ashton and vice versa, regardless of party size limits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trying to finish the new dungeon in Bards Tale IV. I am stuck on a boss right now that requires one specific weapon to beat. I have, unfortunately, sold this weapon about 20 hours ago so now I get to go back through the game and investigate every single shopkeeper to figure out who the hell I sold it to. God help you if you didnt sell it and instead destroyed the item because Im pretty sure that makes this bossfight unbeatable

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

bowmans my favorite male character because he tried to murder the entire party to get out of joining them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Clarste posted:

Okay now I remember Greg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLVrNht9q_0

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

Trying to finish the new dungeon in Bards Tale IV. I am stuck on a boss right now that requires one specific weapon to beat. I have, unfortunately, sold this weapon about 20 hours ago so now I get to go back through the game and investigate every single shopkeeper to figure out who the hell I sold it to. God help you if you didnt sell it and instead destroyed the item because Im pretty sure that makes this bossfight unbeatable
I would assume that it was indestructible, but then, I would also assume it was unsellable if it's mandatory and yet here we are.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
BT4 sounds like a very good game that you should continue to put time into

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gonna do another run of Deadfire.

Thread should I go with PIRATES or imperialist Maori shark people?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Young Blood Pirates know how to party.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would assume that it was indestructible, but then, I would also assume it was unsellable if it's mandatory and yet here we are.

Its not mandatory in a plot way, its just mechanically the only thing in the game that can mitigate the bosses gimmick.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barudak posted:

Its not mandatory in a plot way, its just mechanically the only thing in the game that can mitigate the bosses gimmick.
Still terrible game design if you can get rid of something you need in order to beat a boss, whether it's mandatory due to plot or due to mechanics. Also, I feel like if you're going to play that card in mechanics, it should be connected to the plot, or at least signposted/foreshadowed. You don't need to explicitly state "You need the Master Sword to beat Ganon", just something like "trolls have powerful regeneration, so much so that even if you chop them to pieces they'll live, but I hear fire stops that" and you're handed the Fire Brand sword later to deal with Tommy the Troll as a boss.

Or is it "mandatory" in an "otherwise I spend another hour grinding" sort of way?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Weird question but is not having a perspective/main character's thoughts voiced despite everything else being voice acted a thing? I've kinda noticed in the last couple games I played (and I think someone pointed out how having them voiced was an English extra in Cold Steel's PC ports) so it might just be confirmation bias/a coincidence.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Still terrible game design if you can get rid of something you need in order to beat a boss, whether it's mandatory due to plot or due to mechanics. Also, I feel like if you're going to play that card in mechanics, it should be connected to the plot, or at least signposted/foreshadowed. You don't need to explicitly state "You need the Master Sword to beat Ganon", just something like "trolls have powerful regeneration, so much so that even if you chop them to pieces they'll live, but I hear fire stops that" and you're handed the Fire Brand sword later to deal with Tommy the Troll as a boss.

Or is it "mandatory" in an "otherwise I spend another hour grinding" sort of way?

Leveling in bards tale IV just gives you a skill point to spend on its skill tree, so by the time you could reasonably actually live in this dungeon youll have gotten every stat upgrade. I entered this dungeon at level 26 and the cap is 30 anyway, so its not like theres much more for me to gain.

This is also the second of two bosses in this dungeon that is basically "Oh you brought a spell caster? Thanks for wasting a character slot" so thats extra awesome because ive got to trundle basically all the way back to the entrance to switch my party. And I do mean trundle, your run speed in this game is other games walking speed.

Since this boss is re-release content the main game both doesnt warn you it also actively teaches you the opposite lesson which is why I sold this weapon in the first place.

I dont think Ive played a game where the design was this poorly understood.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

HGH posted:

Weird question but is not having a perspective/main character's thoughts voiced despite everything else being voice acted a thing? I've kinda noticed in the last couple games I played (and I think someone pointed out how having them voiced was an English extra in Cold Steel's PC ports) so it might just be confirmation bias/a coincidence.

it's decently common yeah, though it's usually more of a visual novel thing than in JRPGs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

its usually a thing in JRPGs that are very inspired by visual novels, yeah

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, usually if your characters thoughts are shown theyd be voiced so its a niche thing. Dragon Quest XI does the no voice or lines protagonist with everyone else voiced and its frankly awful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dragon quest does it because your character is a blank slate. VN types do it because they got expensive VAs from what I understand

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My assumption was VA costs usually align with how much work needs to be done and for a VN that would be huge but Id like to know more if someone knows different.

Also Your character in XI is so explicitly not a blank slate they have voiced dialog when they are a child.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dragon quest does it because your character is a blank slate. VN types do it because they got expensive VAs from what I understand

Depends on the VN. A subset of them definitely do the blank slate protagonist, as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If your character has dialogue that you don't get to pick, they aren't a blank slate by default.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m pretty sure most of DQs dialogue is just him saying okay or just enough to acknowledge stuff is happening

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

A Sometimes Food posted:

The pirates are monstrous but they're at least FUN monstrous instead of annoyingly regimented imperialists who are lovely toward the natives.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've also seen fully-voiced VN MCs have a voice toggle for, I guess, a self-insert feel despite very much not being a blank slate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Another factor of it is that VNs have way more internal narration than anything else, a lot of the time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dq mostly just keeps the silent protag out of tradition, like a lot of stuff the series does. i don't really like it especially because of how wishy washy they are with it, silent protags in story-based jrpgs almost always just mean the rest of the party has to carry the writing

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Except Tactics! Tactics had four (that weren't random gens). Six, if you count the two generic knights you start with, since they have guaranteed names.

Tactics is actually reasonably balanced, if you count Ladd, Lavian, and Alicia, at 7 male characters, 6 female, and 3 monster types, as either guaranteed, or named with personality characters.

Alicia and Lavian are unique characters who just use a generic sprite because they aren't important enough to warrant one. One of them has male character melee growth as well, iirc, and you have to have both in your party to get an Agrias/Mustiado cutscene (and really good accessory) later in the game. :eng101:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

As always, Soul Nomad had an interesting take on the silent protagonist where their dialogue was infrequent and presented in single choice menu options.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kirbysuperstar posted:

As always, Soul Nomad had an interesting take on the silent protagonist where their dialogue was infrequent and presented in single choice menu options.

there are a few games i've seen do it and it's a pretty ok take, it still gives them a bit of a defined role and relationship with other characters

tales of xillia 2 is a really weird example of that because ludger does have a voice... in new game plus.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh that is weird

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's still basically limited to "choice" moments though iirc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf ludger being silent led to the amazing gimmick at one of the tales fan festivals where during the on-stage skits, his actor would just stand around and then point at a giant screen behind him so the audience could cheer which choice they wanted him to say

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I choose to assume that's for some minor delivery sidequest.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I want to believe that this is just what the game has in place of a more generic "Goodbye."

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I liked how they handled voicing the silent protagonist when they did the Persona 4 anime. He is just ridiculously stoic while all the highschool high jinks are going on but when they get to a part of the story where you had a dialogue choice in the game they'd always do the wackiest one or the one that required to have a high bravery state.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 8, 2019

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I wish rear end in a top hat WoL was always an option in FFXIV. Like the zombie voice option in Saints Row 3.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Opera and Ashton? I don't think I've ever played another RPG that has more recruitable characters than you can fit like that. There's like thirteen dudes and you can only pick eight.
It was... eight total slots, two are guaranteed to be filled by Rena and Claude, Dias/Leon only permanently available for Rena/Claude story respectively, Opera/Ashton mutually exclusive (and Ernest is dependent on Opera being in the group), Precis/Bowman mutually exclusive, and Celine, Noel, and Chisato are all completely neutral to party composition excepting the hard roster limit.
Welch was added for the PSP version, right? I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

That's all correct except you meant Noel, not Leon, for the second neutral character.