Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

dwarf74 posted:

Wait wait wait

I was certain they said all their listings were already verified!

And they were!

Until they weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

aware of dog posted:

Uber’s stock lockup expires tomorrow, so that should be interesting lol

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1192101103002886146

https://twitter.com/eliotwb/status/1192136867841376256

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1192152166347051008

:lol:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its double verified, its like 2FA but 2VA. - some marketer that got a bonus.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Development that will go into the new Airbnb verification method: several hundred man hours and tens of thousands of dollars.

Workaround to game the system: Five minutes and one bottle of vodka.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I missed that article. What was the scam? People using fake pictures to make their properties seem nicer?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
No, it was a bait and switch at the last minute and taking advantage of a refund policy that favors the landlord over the aggrieved renter.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
https://wapo.st/2PTZJjW

Rare crossover from USPol I guess.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Marenghi posted:

I missed that article. What was the scam? People using fake pictures to make their properties seem nicer?

More like properties that don't exist.
Congrats to Air BnB for reinventing the Bait and Switch

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dwarf74 posted:

Wait wait wait

I was certain they said all their listings were already verified!

“Well, I'm not saying it wasn't verified; it's just perhaps not quite as verified as some of the other ones.”

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I would hope this time they get an official blue checkmark or some other seal of quality.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

More like properties that don't exist.
Congrats to Air BnB for reinventing the Bait and Switch

Ahem, I think you mean, "Disrupting the transactional paradigm"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

its double verified, its like 2FA but 2VA. - some marketer that got a bonus.

Introducing Double Verfied, Double Authentic. to give our customers the best possible experience.

or DVDA for short.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imUsp_sruTc

They sold calls, not puts. :ssh:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Explain that in layman's terms for someone that will never invest in anymore more risky than a GIC/RRSP. My knowledge of options is less than beginner level

Which is kind of ironic, considering how many books I own by Michael Lewis

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 7, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Facetious posted:

Explain that in layman's terms for someone that will never invest in anymore more risky than a GIC/RRSP. My knowledge of options is less than beginner level

It’s not anything to do with arcane stock trading. It’s a flaw in how Robinhood understands assets.

It’s like if I put down my watch as collateral to borrow your car, then offered you your own car as collateral to borrow your yacht.

You might be comfortable lending me something with twice the value of the thing I put down, but that’s your limit.

I’m borrowing from you against your own money. Real people generally aren’t dumb enough to allow that to be done openly. Robinhood’s code didn’t care.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mister Facetious posted:

Robin Hood allowed its users to make trades with downside potential they could never even dream of covering because their mechanism for determining an investor's capital included the money that Robin Hood was already fronting.

Imagine a bank giving you a mortgage loan and then letting you use that cash as a down payment on a mansion.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

No, I understand that part/leverage. I want to know what a "call" and a "put" is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

No, it was a bait and switch at the last minute and taking advantage of a refund policy that favors the landlord over the aggrieved renter.

Also the ones running the scam were pretending to be just normal people when they were shady companies that had no clear owners.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
So, going off of some aging Econ knowledge, the Wall Street trading game I played as a kid and refreshing myself on Investopedia...

A call is a contract you can buy, that gives you the option to buy something between now and a later date. You pay me $1 today for the right to buy a hamburger for $5 next week. If burgers go up to $7, you're happy and can make me get one for you for $5. If they stay below $5.99 I'm happy, since I got "free" money for taking on risk. The Robinhood glitch guys were selling calls, meaning they were taking in cash and selling that promise.

A put is basically the opposite. If you buy a put you have the right to make the person who sold it buy from you for a price. You pay me $1 for the right to make me buy a hamburger for $5 next week. If burgers go down below $4, you make money because you can buy a cheap one and sell it to me.

The distinction in this case is important, because it shows that the guy speaking maybe didn't really even get the glitch. Since there's a huge difference between puts and calls. AMD guy used $2,000 to buy 100 shares for a total of $3,800. They let him do a 2x margin, which is gross but not bad business. They loaned him $1,800 against the stock itself. If it falls below half of the value, then he has to sell all the stock immediately to cover the loan and he ends up with nothing. Once he owned the shares, he sold calls with a $2 strike price. If I'm following him right, if AMD went above $40 a share he had to let the other person buy them for $38.

The thing is that these are covered calls. Since he's holding the shares, this heavily limits his risk. If the price hit $40 and they triggered, he'd just hand the shares over at the discounted price. So, normally this is an alright plan. It's basically a bet on the stock price to stay stable. Usually it'd be used to limit risk as part of a larger strategy.

If I'm still following, the problem is that the dumb system let him sell the calls, because they were covered, but instead just gave him the money back as if he had no obligations and didn't track any of it. It acted like he just had more money free and clear in his account and proceeded to let him buy more shares. And so on and so forth.

So with $2,000 real dollars he now owns ~1,300 shares of AMD with a borrowed ~$48,000. Their value fell to $36 a share already so assuming that they didn't reverse it all, he's already in the hole. Also he doesn't even "own" the shares because they're covering calls. If he's forced to sell the shares to cover the loan from Robinhood, then he magically picked up a shitload of liability. Since if the shares go above $40, he still owes those people the shares. It's a loving mess if the stock price moves at all.

This is why it's a horrible idea to apparently let people "buy" the right to trade on margin for $5. Or gently caress around with options when they don't realize what they're really doing. There's a reason that stuff at least used to be really regulated.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 7, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Trading on margin never had any negative consequences in the past, I'm not sure what the problem is?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Robinhood allowing this reminds me of Hatreon, the nazi Pateon, was so poorly coded that putting in a negative number took money from them and gave it to you.

(also I think I made this post before)

Also also putting in a imaginary or complex number opened a spacetime hole that sucked you into the hyperreals fin dimension.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The one thing that gets me about the people cheerfully taking advantage of the glitch is that, as a few articles pointed out, it's not like you magically wouldn't owe the money just because Robinhood hosed up and let you do something stupid. You'd almost certainly get a judgement against you, if they asked. Supposedly that one guy who took advantage of a previous version of this glitch (because this has apparently happened before) just quietly had his account closed and they never contacted him about the $50,000 loss, so maybe they'd just eat it over the bad press or possible regulation. You could also declare bankruptcy and leave them holding the bag, but that's hardly one weird trick to get rich. And as the articles covered, doing something this bad faith could maybe even wind up as criminal fraud.

Still hilarious that Robinhood is this loving broken.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Laterite posted:

Trading on margin never had any negative consequences in the past, I'm not sure what the problem is?

The problem is when the margins get too big. There's also regulations on what you can get away with with that sort of thing; in particular speculation was massively regulated. Speculation in and of itself has had some deregulation which has had some disastrous effects on the prices of some things.

One of the biggest snags is that it ends up creating a gently caress ton of artificial demand. Futures trading basically means speculating on speculation.

So anyway, having to keep a certain margin means you can't speculate too much nor can you short or make too many promises. What they ended up doing was letting you use your margin to make your margin bigger. You can only make so many promises to buy something in the future based on your margins. The fuckery is pretty complex but basically he was using the promises as extra padding on his margin to get to make further promises. If his bet was correct then he would be set to make a ton of money. If his bet was incorrect he'd lose a gently caress ton; this might chuck him into the negative which is very, very bad and the broker would have to clean up the mess.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mercury Ballistic posted:

https://wapo.st/2PTZJjW

Rare crossover from USPol I guess.

For those without a WaPo sub:

https://twitter.com/cfarivar/status/1192208594772480000

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The problem is when the margins get too big. There's also regulations on what you can get away with with that sort of thing; in particular speculation was massively regulated. Speculation in and of itself has had some deregulation which has had some disastrous effects on the prices of some things.

One of the biggest snags is that it ends up creating a gently caress ton of artificial demand. Futures trading basically means speculating on speculation.

So anyway, having to keep a certain margin means you can't speculate too much nor can you short or make too many promises. What they ended up doing was letting you use your margin to make your margin bigger. You can only make so many promises to buy something in the future based on your margins. The fuckery is pretty complex but basically he was using the promises as extra padding on his margin to get to make further promises. If his bet was correct then he would be set to make a ton of money. If his bet was incorrect he'd lose a gently caress ton; this might chuck him into the negative which is very, very bad and the broker would have to clean up the mess.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Glumslinger posted:

Doesn't take into account that jaywalkers exist :stonklol:

What's also worrying is that is seems the car's programmed to ignore anyone crossing the road except at places where it has been told there are crossings.

So, if you're standing at a new crossing or one that's not in the car's programming, or they've just got the location wrong, then there's a good chance it's going to plough right into you.

How do you even get a self driving system with "there will only be pedestrians <here> and <here>. Ignore anything else" and think that's something that's mature enough to be allowed on a public road?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 7, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What really worrying is that is seems the car's programmed to ignore anyone crossing the road except at places where it has been told there are crossings.

So, if you're standing at a new crossing or one that's not in the car's programming, or they've just got the location wrong, then there's a good chance it's going to plough right into you.

Have you ever seen temporary pedestrian crossings created by construction?

Uber doesn’t.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What about when construction has blocked off a sidewalk and pedestrians have to walk on the road "protected" by barriers?

Will the car plough through that, too?

EDIT:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Uber are acutely poo poo, but it seems in general like autonomous cars are much, much further away from actually being viable than the the industry would admit for a long time. Unless you're Tesla and just release it to the market if it works or not.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

peanut- posted:

Uber are acutely poo poo, but it seems in general like autonomous cars are much, much further away from actually being viable than the the industry would admit for a long time. Unless you're Tesla and just release it to the market if it works or not.

the industry is quietly admitting it, to a degree. at least the large vehicle manufacturers are. there's a ton of people who have interest in hyping the technology though, both uber and tesla depend on it to varying degrees for survival, and then you've got this guy

quote:

Einstein’s Twins Paradox And How Self-Driving Cars Will Change Our Sense Of Time

Ask any physicist about the famous twin paradox problem and you are likely to find yourself facing a lengthy diatribe about the topic.

Often referred to as Einstein’s twin paradox, Einstein was known for focusing on the nature of time and clocks, doing so as part of his theories on relativity, so the topic can be referred to as the Einstein clock paradox rather than mentioning twins per se (historians point out that the origins of the thought experiment can be traced to scientist Paul Langevin in a 1911 paper that he wrote and in which he used twins for the earlier framing of the problem).

What exactly is the paradox, you might be wondering?

Imagine that you are standing here on earth, which I assume most of you are, and suppose further that you happen to have been born with an identical twin. Your beloved twin has decided to become an astronaut and venture into the far reaches of outer space.

You are both the age of 25, let’s say.

You wave goodbye as your twin rockets away. Pretend that the spaceship is incredibly fast, so fast that it moves at nearly the speed of light.

Marking the days on your calendar here on earth, your twin flies for 25 years to a far point in the universe, turns around, and for another 25 years flies back to earth.

Upon arriving here on earth, you greet your long traveling twin, embracing with a firm hug.

I’ll ask you a seemingly simple and innocent question: What is your age and what is the age of your twin upon meeting each other at the end of your twin’s voyage?

Well, we know that you marked the days and believe that the trip took 50 years. The trip started when you both were 25 years old. Therefore, the rote math suggests that you are now 75 years old and that presumably your twin is also 75 years old.

Suppose I told you that your twin is now actually only 30 years old, having aged a mere 5 years while you have aged fifty years.

Is that shocking to you or does it comport with what you would have expected?

If you’ve ever watched any science fiction movies about space travel, you’ve undoubtedly seen story after story that involves a space traveler experiencing time more slowly than those of us on earth. When they get back to earth, their children are older than they are, and the peers that they left on earth are now long deceased.

I’m guessing that you, therefore, accept the premise that your twin would be younger than you and has aged more slowly than you.

Not everyone would necessarily agree with that premise.

Your basis for believing that your twin aged more slowly is that they traveled at a fast speed and therefore approached our fundamental unit of time per the speed of light.

The paradox aspect is that we could turn the situation around and say that instead of looking at the twin that flew away from you, suppose we look at things in the eyes of your twin and they would perceive that you essentially flew away from them. You might say that the twin was “stationary” and you here on earth were moving away from the twin.

In that case, maybe you ought to have aged only five years and your twin should have aged fifty years.

That is the crux of the paradox.

Which is it, did you age the fifty years or did your twin age the fifty years?

Of course, you might toss your hands in the air and say that you are both still the same age, regardless of how many years passed, since you could try to argue that both of you aged the same number of years while the traveling occurred (those that undertake such hand tossing are considered “deniers”).

Most of today’s physicists would agree that the “correct” answer is that you aged fifty years and your twin aged the five years.

For such physicists, there isn’t any paradox and the answer easily is derived via Einstein’s theory of special relativity and using too the handy Lorentz factor (a vital equation for figuring out elapsed time based on your velocity and number of years traveled).

Here’s what Einstein said: “If we placed a living organism in a box ... one could arrange that the organism, after any arbitrary lengthy flight, could be returned to its original spot in a scarcely altered condition, while corresponding organisms which had remained in their original positions had already long since given way to new generations.”

Note that you don’t need to use twins in this thought experiment and could substitute the twins by simply saying that you have two clocks that are set to the same time, of which you then send one of the clocks on the journey, and upon return of the traveling clock to earth, you compare the time of the two clocks.

In fact, the entire twin story can be reduced to the belief that moving clocks go slower (a matter of time dilation, as it were).

Mentioning twins makes the tale a bit more entertaining. It is partially used to suggest that the two items being compared are to be as nearly identical as possible, aiming to reduce any side arguments about the fact that maybe something different in the two originating elements can account for a time difference.

You are welcome to mull over the paradox and study it with whatever intensity and gusto you prefer.

For purposes herein, the infamous problem brings up the overall notion that time can be perceived differently and on a relative basis for an observer or participant seem to be longer or shorter in length.

Here’s an intriguing question: Could the advent of true self-driving cars cause us to have a different sense of time?

Don’t misinterpret the question to somehow suggest that self-driving cars are going to move at the speed of light. Sorry, that’s not in the cards for now.

Self-driving cars might though subtly alter our sense of time via the convenience and ease of transit via car travel, changing our perception about time.

Let’s unpack the matter.

The Levels Of Self-Driving Cars

It is important to clarify what I mean when referring to true self-driving cars.

True self-driving cars are ones that the AI drives the car entirely on its own and there isn’t any human assistance during the driving task.

These driverless cars are considered a Level 4 and Level 5, while a car that requires a human driver to co-share the driving effort is usually considered at a Level 2 or Level 3. The cars that co-share the driving task are described as being semi-autonomous, and typically contain a variety of automated add-on’s that are referred to as ADAS (Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems).

There is not yet a true self-driving car at Level 5, which we don’t yet even know if this will be possible to achieve, and nor how long it will take to get there.

Meanwhile, the Level 4 efforts are gradually trying to get some traction by undergoing very narrow and selective public roadway trials, though there is controversy over whether this testing should be allowed per se (we are all life-or-death guinea pigs in an experiment taking place on our highways and byways, some point out).

Since the semi-autonomous cars require a human driver, such cars aren’t particularly going to alter the dynamics of time perception. There is essentially no difference between using a Level 2 or Level 3 versus a conventional car when it comes to the time paradox aspects.

It is notable to point out that in spite of those dolts that keep posting videos of themselves falling asleep at the wheel of a Level 2 or Level 3 car, do not be misled into believing that you can take away your attention from the driving task while driving a semi-autonomous car.

You are the responsible party for the driving actions of the car, regardless of how much automation might be tossed into a Level 2 or Level 3.

True Self-Driving Cars And Time Perception

For the use of Level 4 and Level 5 driverless cars, there isn’t a human driver in the car. Occupants inside the self-driving car are all considered passengers.

When you get into a self-driving car, the AI system will whisk you away to whatever destination you’ve stated. No need on your part to watch the road. No need to provide driving advice about which way to go. You can liken this to acting as a passenger in an airplane, whereby you simply sit back, relax, and the traveling occurs without you having to lift a finger.

Suppose you want to visit a good friend that lives twenty miles away from you.

Normally, you’d need to grab up your prescription glasses, make sure you have your valid driver’s license on you, and then drive your car to see your friend. During the driving journey, you’d be stressed out about the horrid traffic and the near misses with ornery drivers.

By the time you reached your friend’s place, you’d be exhausted, irritable, and exasperated at the drive. As such, you might vow to your friend that it will be a rare day that you opt to drive to see them again, given the arduous nature of getting there. The trip seemed to take forever.

Switch to a scenario involving the use of a driverless car.

You get into the self-driving car and have no worries about whether you can see the road, and nor do you have a driver’s license on you or even need one at all. During the trip, you watch some streaming videos and enjoy the time spent in the self-driving car. In fact, you might recline the seat and take a nap, dreaming perhaps about time travel and someday visiting planets at the far reaches of our galaxy.

In the former case of driving the car, time seemed to go slowly, agonizingly so.

In the latter case of being a passenger in a self-driving car, time seemed to move along quickly.

Even your friend might perceive the time differences of your taking a self-driving car versus having driven yourself.

Upon your arrival at your friend’s place when you drove a car, you are vocal in complaining about the drive, and your friend feels terrible that you had to endure the long drive.

When arriving via a self-driving car, you are refreshed and happy, and your friend feels like it was just moments ago that you said you’d be on your way.

In short, your perception of time could change as a result of making use of self-driving cars. Likewise, your friend, though not having traveled in the driverless car, might also perceive time differently as a result of your using a driverless car.

Again, this is not to suggest that time changed in some physical manner as a result of the self-driving car.

Instead, the emphasis is on the perception of time by both the participant and the observer.

Conclusion

If this change in a sense of time can occur, one argument to be made is that presumably via today’s ridesharing services you would already be undergoing that same change in time perception.

A ridesharing service of today allows you to sit back and relax since there is a human driver at the wheel.

The comparison is only half-right.

You still need to be wary about the human that is your ridesharing driver. In theory, the human driver could make wayward moves and crash the car. Being in a ridesharing car is not the same as being absent of all concerns about the driving task.

For self-driving cars, some assert that they will be entirely safe and never crash. I don’t subscribe to that belief. There will still be car crashes, though (hopefully) of a much smaller volume and a lesser force of damage or injury, though we don’t yet know if that will be the case.

Assume for the moment that driverless cars eventually will be extremely safe and safer than human drivers in the aggregate. In that case, the claim is that you’ll be less on-edge when in a driverless car and more prone to being able to enjoy the ride without any substantive qualms.

Another factor is that self-driving cars will gradually be rolled-out and there will be a mixture of both conventional cars and driverless cars on our roadways for many years to come.

One could contend that you’ll sometimes be using a human-driven car and other times be using a self-driving car.

The use of conventional cars will continue to remind you of the “time” related aspects and therefore continue to keep the driverless car perception as a fresh one. Eventually, the number of conventional cars will presumably dwindle, and you’ll only rarely use a human-driven car.

In that case, you’ll inevitably get used to being inside a driverless car.

Over time, we will all become used to the self-driving car as this time-saver or time enabler. A new normal will inexorably take hold of us.

At that juncture, we will no longer perceive the time of travel as any different since it will all be of the same nature. Our time perception will have adjusted.

That’s admittedly a long time from now, so let’s enjoy our new perception of time as it unfolds, relishing it for as long as time will allow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That article is so bad I ought to edit my preceding post to warn about it.

tl;dr: Author is paid by the word character and imagines how much time FSD will reclaim for other activities.

He’s never heard of public transit.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

peanut- posted:

Uber are acutely poo poo, but it seems in general like autonomous cars are much, much further away from actually being viable than the the industry would admit for a long time.
It's not a binary "viable" vs "not viable". Waymo is currently in the process of slomo launching...in Phoenix, in a geographically restricted area. So, that's viability with a whole bunch of hard constraints: Phoenix almost always has decent weather for driving, the roads are wide and relatively uncomplicated, they've mapped and tagged the areas they're operating in to hell and back, etc.

So you're gonna see SDC's become viable for a larger set of variables over a relatively long period of time as companies gradually solve different problems, not some instantaneous "okay they're good everywhere now".

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/isosteph/status/1192166184763871232?s=19

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Jesus I want to dump the guy who wrote that article's books in a toilet.

Especially for how blase he is about the issue that running 'experiments' on the real roads will inevitably kill people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The one thing that gets me about the people cheerfully taking advantage of the glitch is that, as a few articles pointed out, it's not like you magically wouldn't owe the money just because Robinhood hosed up and let you do something stupid. You'd almost certainly get a judgement against you, if they asked. Supposedly that one guy who took advantage of a previous version of this glitch (because this has apparently happened before) just quietly had his account closed and they never contacted him about the $50,000 loss, so maybe they'd just eat it over the bad press or possible regulation. You could also declare bankruptcy and leave them holding the bag, but that's hardly one weird trick to get rich. And as the articles covered, doing something this bad faith could maybe even wind up as criminal fraud.

Still hilarious that Robinhood is this loving broken.

Robinhood can sue you but it would be expensive for them to do so. The end user is theoretically liable for this: in practice robinhood is going to be holding the bag.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Uber said it “will likely” have to strike a licensing deal with Waymo or opt for costly changes to its autonomous driving software, after an expert found the ride-hailing giant still used technology from the Alphabet Inc unit.

While it was unclear by when the company needed to decide on its next move in the blockbuster trade secrets dispute, Uber, in a quarterly securities filing on Tuesday, said that a detour in its software development “could limit or delay our production of autonomous vehicle technologies.”

Uber has been racing to catch up to Waymo in the development of software and hardware to install in cars and trucks to allow for driverless taxi and delivery services.

The expert review of Uber’s software was part of a legal settlement reached in February 2018 that brought to an abrupt halt a federal jury trial over whether the company unfairly benefited from confidential ideas allegedly secured by making former Waymo engineers key members of its self-driving car team.

Waymo began as a project within sister company Google a decade ago, while Uber launched its effort four years ago.

Uber declined to give details beyond its filing.

Waymo told Reuters in a statement that the independent software expert’s findings “further confirm Waymo’s allegations that Uber misappropriated our software intellectual property. We will continue to take the necessary steps to ensure our confidential information is not being used by Uber.”

Last year, Uber Chief Executive Dara Khosrowshahi had expressed confidence that the company had not used Waymo’s proprietary information in its hardware or software.

But by this April, weeks ahead of its initial public offering, Uber disclosed that the expert software reviewer’s interim findings were mixed and could be costly.

Waymo had alleged in court filings in 2017 that Uber was “misappropriating two, highly valuable Waymo trade secrets related to planner software,” which processes data from sensors on the vehicle and controls its movement.
https://in.reuters.com/article/us-alphabet-uber-idINKBN1XH1HH

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
uber's self driving car thing was always an obvious hail mary to me. like it makes sense for alphabet, who has a broad portfolio of tech products and even manufactures hardware - their end goal would be to develop a licensable technology which would be sold to the actual vehicle manufacturers, or at least explore this space to see what you can do to work your existing products into the self-driving car space like ensuring every manufacturer uses google's geographic provisioning system for navigation because it's just more streamlined and convenient than any other solution

meanwhile, the only thing uber has is a fairly simple middleman app that leads to endless competition, as well as the brand they've so expensively forged. uber is more of a holding company for the term 'uber' than a tech company at this point, and it's not clear what they could feasibly produce that other firms would be interested in buying. let alone the absurd idea that uber would get into manufacturing electric helicopters or whatever

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

luxury handset posted:

meanwhile, the only thing uber has is a fairly simple middleman app that leads to endless competition, as well as the brand they've so expensively forged. uber is more of a holding company for the term 'uber' than a tech company at this point, and it's not clear what they could feasibly produce that other firms would be interested in buying. let alone the absurd idea that uber would get into manufacturing electric helicopters or whatever

uber already has a horde of slave drivers though, the next step is to figure out how to combine cars and drivers into wheeled cyborgs.

the step after that is to remove the cyborgs' urge to rape customers

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

luxury handset posted:

uber's self driving car thing was always an obvious hail mary to me. like it makes sense for alphabet, who has a broad portfolio of tech products and even manufactures hardware - their end goal would be to develop a licensable technology which would be sold to the actual vehicle manufacturers, or at least explore this space to see what you can do to work your existing products into the self-driving car space like ensuring every manufacturer uses google's geographic provisioning system for navigation because it's just more streamlined and convenient than any other solution

yeah uber's self-driving car is basically a way to get investors to keep pouring money into them as a "startup" where you expect to lose money while they scale up, instead of a company whose business is mature - and still loses money hand over fist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I’m sure UberBank will be what finally turns things arouhahahaha