Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

looking at all of the portraits in thsi game really makes me realize that this game really isn't at all a 'dudebro' game like some were trying to smear it as in teh first week of release. Every woman in the game has their own *thing* going on that's pretty drat interesting, and almost every single one has a more complex interiority than your average Strong Female Character
One of the major themes is taking a poo poo all over toxic masculinity in general as well, both Harry and The Deserter exemplify this for the most prominent examples. Cuno's whole arc is all about it too.

Like the only game I can think of off the top of my head that just tears apart toxic masculinity just as starkly is LISA the Painful.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Like the only game I can think of off the top of my head that just tears apart toxic masculinity just as starkly is LISA the Painful.
another game i saw called dudebro because it did not have women in it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

another game i saw called dudebro because it did not have women in it.
What's ironic is I get the feeling people like that wouldn't consider a game like The Last of Us as such even though it actually buys into toxic masculinity unlike DE and LISA which both ultimately severely admonish the idea of being violent making you a badass and how glorifying "hard men making hard decisions" is awful.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 8, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Conceptualization is a huge nerd.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Accordion Man posted:

What's ironic is I get the feeling people like that wouldn't consider a game like The Last of Us as such even though it actually buys into toxic masculinity unlike DE and LISA which both ultimately severely admonish the idea of being violent making you a badass and how glorifying "hard men making hard decisions" is awful.

I dunno man, The Last of Us homes in pretty hard on the idea that Joel is a psychopathic lunatic who is using Ellie as a stand-in for his dead daughter to the detriment of the human race. The game really does make him look like an rear end in a top hat.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I dunno man, The Last of Us homes in pretty hard on the idea that Joel is a psychopathic lunatic who is using Ellie as a stand-in for his dead daughter to the detriment of the human race. The game really does make him look like an rear end in a top hat.

nah it ultimately glorifies him at the very end

StashAugustine posted:

Half Light is the real neurotic skill. One of my favorite touches with it is right after finding that you crashed the car while drunk Kim comforts you by saying the police will forgive you and half light chimes in "no, they won't."

the phys skills in general outside of shivers seem to be full of bad ideas

i guess it makes sense since they're what got you into this mess in the first place

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Nope! You might want to fail that check at first, it can give you some orientation on what to do. Don't worry, only red checks can't be retried.

Also, here is Jim Sterling being very positive about the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMiY2f0DRSg

I am glad that the game has been winning attention and praise in a slower, but longer stride - people are trying it without worrying about other releases and getting surprised by how great it is :haw:

The number of Steam reviews is at least somewhat of an indicator of sales numbers and:

Disco Elysium: 2,263

Shadowrun: Dragonfall: 3,397
Shadowrun: Hong Kong: 1,982
Tyranny: 5,709
Pathfinder: Kingmaker: 8,616
Pillars of Eternity 1: 8,593
Pillars of Eternity 2: 4,301
Torment: Tides of Numenera: 1,339
ATOM RPG: 3,492
Divinity: Original Sin 2: 51, 875

And take into account that most of the latter have had severe discounts and been bundled before. (Poor Shadowrun games, two out of three of them deserved to sell a lot more.)

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 8, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, the song the old woman in the fishing village sings is a real world song if people don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCHfPYjAkz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nre-lJmabAY

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yinlock posted:

really? the game looks at the player and says JOEL IS GOOD? i remember it being a lot more nuanced than that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yinlock posted:

By giving in to his own selfish urges and ultimately lying to Ellie?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I really hope you didn't come away from The Last of Us thinking it makes Joel out to be the pure good guy. The ending is a lot more complicated than that, especially Ellie's feelings about the whole thing.

Yes, ultimately his saving Ellie is framed as this heroic moment for him, but we're seeing it from his perspective as he relives his inability to save his own daughter. Was he right to do that? I don't know that the game makes a pronouncement either way, but at the same time the epilogue has you controlling Ellie and looking at Joel from the outside. I, at least, felt very conflicted about it right to the credits.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Without spoiling much, is there an easy and open way for me to get up there (circled spot) that I'm somehow missing or is it tied to things I must do/unlock/wait? It's bothering me.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Another day at the poo poo factory.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

Without spoiling much, is there an easy and open way for me to get up there (circled spot) that I'm somehow missing or is it tied to things I must do/unlock/wait? It's bothering me.

How far in are you? That's a place you'll be required to go eventually.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mystic Stylez posted:

The investigation will eventually require you to go up there.

Serf
May 5, 2011

joel did nothing wrong

harry does many things wrong, but most of them you get to do yourself

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

OK, thanks guys! I'm just at the end of day 2.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mystic Stylez posted:

OK, thanks guys! I'm just at the end of day 2.

if you get the body down on day 1 and complete all those associated tasks, you can definitely get up to the highlighted area at the start of day 2. getting up there requires that the hardie boys are in their booth at whirling-in-rags and that you've started the quest to interrogate them

edit: both times i have played through the game, i have gotten to the "end-game" by late day 4 / early day 5. i have no idea how you'd stretch the game out much past that, unless you're just arbitrarily wasting time on the park benches

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i seem to recall in the last of us ellie has voiced out that joel can't keep treating her as his daughter, and several times the game makes it clear that joel's daughter and ellie have vastly different personalities. the final shot is ellie mentally poking holes in the story joel has been feeding her about the "new cure requiring zero child murders", and knowing that she is trapped in a life where she has to play his surrogate daughter, which still is better than being dead. it absolutely doesn't absolve joel's actions.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Disco just reached "Overwhelmingly Positive" on its Steam store page.

Leave a positive review @ Steam to keep this train rolling!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I really like thinking of the personality aspects as characters/different people. Makes them lovaable weirdos (esp. Drama and Suggestion)

sebmojo posted:

really? the game looks at the player and says JOEL IS GOOD? i remember it being a lot more nuanced than that.

The game really feels like it's making a point about Joel being a selfish monster and even begins (in the prlogue) by having him scream "WE DON'T HAVE TIME TO HELP ANYONE ELSE!" at his daughter. Then in an interview the writing of the game gave a really mealy-mouthed "both sides have a point about joel!" answer because game writers are cowards

except the Disco Elysium writers who are really cool

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

The game really feels like it's making a point about Joel being a selfish monster and even begins (in the prlogue) by having him scream "WE DON'T HAVE TIME TO HELP ANYONE ELSE!" at his daughter. Then in an interview the writing of the game gave a really mealy-mouthed "both sides have a point about joel!" answer because game writers are cowards

except they're right, joel (and just about every other character in the game) commit monstrous acts that brutalize themselves and each other and further destroy what scant societies they have so that they can give themselves a reason to go on living

i'm endlessly bewildered by how many people can't grasp this

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Guys, we should change our gangtag to Joopson AS Men's Fashion, model "Colorful tie" to honor our comrade's noble sacrifice

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Oxxidation posted:

except they're right, joel (and just about every other character in the game) commit monstrous acts that brutalize themselves and each other and further destroy what scant societies they have so that they can give themselves a reason to go on living

i'm endlessly bewildered by how many people can't grasp this

Oh no - what I'm saying is the game absolutely frames Joel as a monster who is in the wrong. I'm just pointing out that gamers are dumb and can't accept this and the cowardly game writer was afraid to say "yes the game is about a selfish and bad person doing bad things"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am truly sorry if it spoils something to anyone, it's just too loving wonderful to keep to myself

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Oh no - what I'm saying is the game absolutely frames Joel as a monster who is in the wrong. I'm just pointing out that gamers are dumb and can't accept this and the cowardly game writer was afraid to say "yes the game is about a selfish and bad person doing bad things"

no, you're still not getting it. the game is about selfish and bad people doing bad things, even though those bad things are the only reason they're able to go on living on both a material and spiritual level. joel, marlene, and even ellie are all destroying themselves and everything around them so that they can find the will to live in a world that's already damaged beyond repair and becoming moreso by the actions of innumerable "survivors" just like them. joel was not in the wrong, and neither was ellie, and neither were the fireflies or even psychopaths like david and his crew, because all of their actions sprang from the same root. traditional morality has ceased to be a useful concept for the last of humanity

the only positive contrast to the last of us' dismal morality is the commune started by joel's brother, and even that's inevitably going to be poisoned by the survival instinct that the rest of the game displayed

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There were so many powerful and touching moments but I think I'm gonna cry for the tie-friend

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I hope people chose this response to Cuno's Den

:allears:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mods, change my name to Psycholocomotor

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Songbearer posted:

Yep, and choosing it also gives you a bonus to the not puking roll. On my first play through I failed the puke check again after internalizing Volumetric poo poo Compressor, and this interaction gave Harry the resolve to finally inspect the body.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Songbearer posted:

That was for sure one of my favorite interactions in the game.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Thats cool, boasting your bacterial infection like that

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Joel-talk is our punishment for destroying the The Outer Worlds thread.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

dear god he's a mind reader

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I made him into an ultra, but I was also a moralist and drat I wish I went there. Him saying eat the poor was a highlight though.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Telling Acele you think the big problem with Revachol is that rich people don't have enough money is fun too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

UP AND ADAM posted:

Telling Acele you think the big problem with Revachol is that rich people don't have enough money is fun too.

"listen here little lady, as I tell you a success story of bootstrapping ones way up in the world, the tale of Contact Mike"

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

this game has fully permeated my brain to the point that i've started having conversations with the different parts of my mind. had the urge to really drunk last night and had to talk down electrochemisty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
very good game

now that ive dropped some ethical game reviews in the other threads for stuff ive played since probation, the solution to the mystery sucks. i can accept that an island i cant go to until i catch the perp(who ive never even heard of until this point which is bad) is where the story ends. the cryptid thats part of one of MANY yet only ONE sidequest being a heavy component is lame. meeting it would have been much more enjoyable in a less plot heavy context

nothing positive i can think of to say has yet to be said. capped this image and sent it to MY GIRLFRIEND/gbs when it came up.

just bob fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 8, 2019