Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Sanitary Naptime posted:

someone had a vocal gripe about it itt

...why? :psyduck:

1/02: January 5th 1902: George Bernard Shaw's play Mrs. Warren's Profession, about a sex worker and her prudish daughter, is performed in London for the first time. It definitely riles up the prudish Victorian theater-goers.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Surprise T Rex posted:

But the Middle East (all of it) is The Bad Guys and "we" (the UK and the USA which are broadly the same) are The Good Guys so this is worse.

You need to choose the TV news channel you go on based on the (skin) tone. Isn't that the rule?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

How do you know who shylock is without knowing he's jewish, he's like if shakespeare time travelled to 1935 germany for his inspiration.

I mean, he might just know that Shylock was a money-lender and the antagonist. In such a context jumping to "bad money lender, therefore jew" would itself be a pretty problematic thing.

I had to look Shylock up, because I didn't do The Merchant of Venice in school. Did R&J, Winter's Tale, Much Ado, Midsummer and MacBeth.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think the simpsons meme thread might kill me. I cannot believe there are 308 more pages to go and already I have tears streaming down my face and my chest in pain with laughter.
I am certainly going to get found out at work if I continue and yet....

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Miftan posted:

While you're right, it's a double standard since nobody who criticises him for going on Iranian TV would bat an eye lid if he went on US TV, a country that has done much worse to far more people. The media there ranges between 'absolute denial' and 'somehow worse than Middle Eastern state sponsored propoganda' as well.

While I see your point this line of argument just would not fly at all. Anywhere.

Did he at least express regret or anything?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Good work Question Time goon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's actually even worse than that... Corbyn has been on British state TV many times even though they constantly gently caress with him, and the brits have killed millions and were blowing people up and putting them in camps at the time...
Not only that, it's been repeatedly proven that British state TV is run by and for the benefit of child abusers.

Eschenique posted:

Because the Iranian regime is atrocious and appearing on their official state TV while accepting their money is tantamount to support?
List of states that aren't atrocious and don't commit human rights abuses:
Atlantis
The Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands
Glubbdubdrib

OwlFancier posted:

How do you know who shylock is without knowing he's jewish, he's like if shakespeare time travelled to 1935 germany for his inspiration.
Maybe nowadays peoples English Lit teachers don't do amazingly racist impersonations to underscore to the class how amazingly racist the character of Shylock is.

Although I'm not certain what accent Shakey thought that Jews had back then. Mine went with some form of 'Slavic grandad'.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Eschenique posted:

While I see your point this line of argument just would not fly at all. Anywhere.

Depends on if you're trying to convince lib dems or people who actually know anything about how the world works, I suppose.

StoicFnord posted:

You need to choose the TV news channel you go on based on the (skin) tone. Isn't that the rule?

That explains why Israel is considered Good at least (despite having lots of brown Jews [and don't get me started on the Palestinians!] but even Israel tries to ignore them).

Guavanaut posted:

Although I'm not certain what accent Shakey thought that Jews had back then. Mine went with some form of 'Slavic grandad'.

Slavic Grandad is the name of my hardcore Yiddish ska-punk band

Miftan fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 8, 2019

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Eschenique posted:

It's true though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I mean, he might just know that Shylock was a money-lender and the antagonist. In such a context jumping to "bad money lender, therefore jew" would itself be a pretty problematic thing.

I had to look Shylock up, because I didn't do The Merchant of Venice in school. Did R&J, Winter's Tale, Much Ado, Midsummer and MacBeth.

I mean it's been a very long time since I did it but basically all of his characterisation that I recall is 1. He's Jewish. 2. He's evil, and greedy and wants to literally carve off your flesh. 3. He's really weaselly when you complain about any of that.

He's genuinely the most antisemitic stereotype imaginable. I can get not knowing who he is at all but it's really weird to me that you would know enough to get the reference the character without knowing that he's a literary version of a nazi propaganda poster.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Sanitary Naptime posted:

(plus the livestream on election night)

Argh christ not sure I'll be able to take that

Is anyone else planning to take the 13th off work and stay up all night? I'm umming and aahing over it. I hate every second of election night broadcasting but can't stop looking at it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sanford posted:

Is anyone else planning to take the 13th off work and stay up all night? I'm umming and aahing over it. I hate every second of election night broadcasting but can't stop looking at it.

I'm gonna stay up really late and still go to work in the morning.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Thanks!

Dawn Foster is about to lose favour with a chunk of the thread -

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1192766457488252928?s=20

(She's right. I mean, all the secession possibilities are likely bad anyway, but the raw English nationalism that is at the heart of the gammony brexiteer movement that might put BoJo back into office might make them the literal lesser of two evils.)

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Venomous posted:

1/02: January 5th 1902: George Bernard Shaw's play Mrs. Warren's Profession, about a sex worker and her prudish daughter, is performed in London for the first time. It definitely riles up the prudish Victorian theater-goers.

Oh no... I've just blown out a definite shag. What a tosser!

#marywhitehouse

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Ratjaculation posted:

Poor comparison. People might watch Question Time but no one is really reading any of this :v:

CptAwesome posted:

It's true though

I don't see how I could ever make a good faith argument out of "If you've been on US TV you can't throw stones over someone showing implied support to any other regimes"

Miftan posted:

Depends on if you're trying to convince lib dems or people who actually know anything about how the world works, I suppose.

What about existing Labour supporters who questions Corbyn personally?

Guavanaut posted:

List of states that aren't atrocious and don't commit human rights abuses:
Atlantis
The Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands
Glubbdubdrib

I feel like this attitude if anything protects lovely regimes.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

StoicFnord posted:

I just want to throttle LD supporters on my social media. I cant help it, it just rises up like bile. There's the delusional, that think they'll be in some "yellow wave" and the LD's will get a majority, so there's no reasoning there. And there's those FBPE asses that are adamant about Labour being some sort of ultra leave nexus despite the f*cking policy being "Peoples vote motherf*ckers". As much as my politics being aspirational, i am not blind to reality, but these shits all seem to be in some delusion land where its always a two horse race the the LD's are second.

The tories cannot win. I cannot bury any more of my friends. Whatever prevents that I'm all for, no matter what.

-----

I need to post more, i'm a horrible lurker, so expect my shite for the foreseeable.
the yellow stream of the Liberal Democrats, oh no

welcome, lurker. here is a good yellow thing for us all to enjoy: the canary, various

suggestion: Lib Dems in cages down coal mines, not canaries

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're talking to someone who dislikes corbyn because he went on iranian TV then what is their proposed alternative?

Would they like to vote for one of the freaks who wants to bomb everything in sight instead?

I think it's pretty obvious that corbyn doesn't support Iranian domestic policy because he went on their telly any more than he supports british domestic policy because he goes on ours.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

StoicFnord posted:

"yellow wave"

lol

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Junior G-man posted:

Podcast listener feedback question:

So we've been recording our news & other episodes mostly on Thursdays now. Due to various factors this means it usually comes out on Friday afternoon/evenings.

We were having a discussion about whether or not we should move the recording to a bit earlier in the week so you could listen to it during your work commute / during the week (and essentially avoid having it out over the weekend when we're drunk at the pub).

Is this something you would prefer (if you're listening to Podcasting is Praxis, which you should)?
How many subscribers have you got so far? The app I use, podcast addict, claims 102 subs but it's not clear where it gets that from and how complete the number is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

Dawn Foster is about to lose favour with a chunk of the thread -

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1192766457488252928?s=20
One is the nationalism of the dominant group, and therefore reactionary and bad, the other is the nationalism of the marginalized group, and therefore liberationary and good right up until the point where it works and they become the dominant group.

*Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika plays softly in the background as two Xhosa police officers beat a Nigerian man*

Eschenique posted:

I feel like this attitude if anything protects lovely regimes.
There's only one lovely regime that I have the power to change.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's been a very long time since I did it but basically all of his characterisation that I recall is 1. He's Jewish. 2. He's evil, and greedy and wants to literally carve off your flesh. 3. He's really weaselly when you complain about any of that.

He's genuinely the most antisemitic stereotype imaginable. I can get not knowing who he is at all but it's really weird to me that you would know enough to get the reference the character without knowing that he's a literary version of a nazi propaganda poster.

He's a literal hook nosed banker, and while some people will say he does get a redemption at the end they often neglect to mention that that 'redemption' comes in the form of him being forced to convert to Christianity.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pablo Bluth posted:

How many subscribers have you got so far? The app I use, podcast addict, claims 102 subs but it's not clear where it gets that from and how complete the number is.

We're pulling in about 600 listeners per episode, but no way of knowing how many of those are regular listeners.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

I remember in my GCSE literature class my teacher really really trying to spin an interpretation of MoV where Shakespeare was actually making some biting social commentary about contemporary antisemitism.

There are a few lines that would support this ('if you prick us do we not bleed' etc) but on the whole I still think the tone is more going for 'haha look at the silly jew' tbh.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I really wish i had known about the videogames episode, i could have told stories of working as an unpaid tester for Rockstar.

Also why do i have a tag from Pissflaps.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

If you're talking to someone who dislikes corbyn because he went on iranian TV then what is their proposed alternative?

Would they like to vote for one of the freaks who wants to bomb everything in sight instead?

I think it's pretty obvious that corbyn doesn't support Iranian domestic policy because he went on their telly any more than he supports british domestic policy because he goes on ours.

Someone named Watson I think?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

I really wish i had known about the videogames episode, i could have told stories of working as an unpaid tester for Rockstar.

It's your eternal shame for posting in the pissflaps thread.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

CyberPingu posted:

5 years in games and i ran the gently caress away at the first opportunity and never looked back. I still get flashbacks and curl up in a ball at it. The people i got on with there was great, the environment sucked balls.

(Jagex btw)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I remember in my GCSE literature class my teacher really really trying to spin an interpretation of MoV where Shakespeare was actually making some biting social commentary about contemporary antisemitism.

There are a few lines that would support this ('if you prick us do we not bleed' etc) but on the whole I still think the tone is more going for 'haha look at the silly jew' tbh.

I always interpreted the "if you prick us do we not bleed" thing, in the context of the rest of the characterisation, and coming as I recall after he's been beaten, as trying to show the character as cowardly and contemptible.

Especially if you consider it in the context of supposed christian virtue where the proper response isn't supposed to be revenge. He's all dominance until after he's beaten at which point he switches to making excuses. I don't think it's supposed to engender sympathy to the character.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 8, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

The "Hath not a Jew eyes? If you prick us do we not bleed?" gets interpreted as being pro equality by a lot of modern readers, when originally it had a lot of the sense of "Jews are materially focused and incapable of understanding the metaphysical" which was a really common antisemitic stereotype reflected in Schopenhauer's "Jews can't draw their god so art's bad now" and Wagner's "Jews cannot rhythm".

That's kinda gone away in modern antisemitism, translated into "Jews are obsessed with amassing money" rather than some innate incapability to appreciate metaphor and spirituality, possibly because late capitalist society doesn't value the ability to appreciate metaphor and spirituality as much, idk, although it has come back a bit recently in 'ironic antisemitism' because (and you'll probably have guessed why) Eric Cartman believes it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Miftan posted:

It's your eternal shame for posting in the pissflaps thread.

I got tricked, i was told that was the GE thread

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StoicFnord posted:

(Jagex btw)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

which iteration of runescape

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

StoicFnord posted:

5 years in games and i ran the gently caress away at the first opportunity and never looked back. I still get flashbacks and curl up in a ball at it. The people i got on with there was great, the environment sucked balls.

(Jagex btw)

Yeah luckily it was when i was a student and it was never my intention to do it full time. Its awful though, almost made me want to stop playing games full stop

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

which iteration of runescape

Runescape is bullshit, cool kids went to Jagex for uhhh Flea Circus and all that other poo poo I can't remember.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah but he would wouldn't he, the remainer

https://twitter.com/dimasciov/status/1192565024361009152

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Runescape is bullshit, cool kids went to Jagex for uhhh Flea Circus and all that other poo poo I can't remember.

literally had to google to find the other game names because lol

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

You know how England re-conquered Scotland by just making the king of Scotland the king of England and then he just went mad with power and England became the primary throne anyway.

What if Labour offers Jo Swinson the leadership position. Then Labour would command both the Labour and the Lib dem vote.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I can accept not knowing who Shylock is I cannot accept knowing who Shylock is and not knowing he's Jewish. It's pretty fundamental to the story.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 8, 2019

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Venomous posted:

I don’t think they were confident in the operation of the pause button, I dunno? We were keen to try and not go over that maximum but so much loving stuff keeps happening.

Sanford posted:

Join us or be a coward. We’ll be dipping in to the live broadcasting from whatever source as we see fit but otherwise it’ll just be shooting the poo poo and play along live Comment or Commentariat and watching tories gently caress up all night with alcohol, it’ll be a laugh.

CyberPingu posted:

Good news, it won’t be the last VG episode

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Detected, the exact moment that John Bercow stops being Jewish in the British press.

David Aaronovitch's gonna stalk him shouting about his mixed fabric tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Eschenique posted:

You know how England re-conquered Scotland by just making the king of Scotland the king of England and then he just went mad with power and England became the primary throne anyway.

What if Labour offers Jo Swinson the leadership position. Then Labour would command both the Labour and the Lib dem vote.

Comment