Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Mike McCarthy lost out on the Jets job to Adam loving Gase. Dude is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Mike McCarthy lost out on the Jets job to Adam loving Gase. Dude is done.

So did Matt Rhule and i'm sure he's going to get an NFL job really soon. Also the Jet ownership is a bunch of loving morons. The fact that they didn't want to hire McCarthy shouldn't be held against him.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I hate McCarthy, but with McCarthy you can say, "Hey, Aaron Rodgers!"

People in sports media, to this day, credit Adam Gase for "bringing back Peyton Manning."

Like, I dunno, maybe Peyton was fine and Gase was just there.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

mcmagic posted:

So did Matt Rhule and i'm sure he's going to get an NFL job really soon. Also the Jet ownership is a bunch of loving morons. The fact that they didn't want to hire McCarthy shouldn't be held against him.

The 2019 Packers should be held against him though.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

LabyaMynora posted:

People in sports media, to this day, credit Adam Gase for "bringing back Peyton Manning."

Like, I dunno, maybe Peyton was fine and Gase was just there.

wasn't peyton good immediately upon arriving in Denver

like, where is the period during which he was sufficiently bad as to need bringing back

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Better head coach, Gase or McDaniels? Both guys got jobs based on being OC for a HOF QB who could just change the play at will anyway.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

YOLOsubmarine posted:

On the other hand Arians came out of retirement for garbage rear end Tampa? Do they qualify as a well run organization now?

pundits seem to be of the consensus that Arians came out of retirement for the allure of being the guy to solve the jameis rubik's cube

im dubious about this since i doubt bucs management committed to jameis in the long-term when they were interviewing arians

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Better head coach, Gase or McDaniels? Both guys got jobs based on being OC for a HOF QB who could just change the play at will anyway.

We'll see what McDaniels is like when he gets an HC job again. Rumors are already floating about him to Cleveland again.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The 2019 Packers should be held against him though.

That probably has more to do with them actually spending money on FA

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

We'll see what McDaniels is like when he gets an HC job again. Rumors are already floating about him to Cleveland again.

Teams are never going to learn about NE assistants, are they....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

McDaniels, at this point, is by far the better candidate.

This is not high praise.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kalensc posted:

Reading up on some of the 80s candidates, I found my new favorite summary of a failed coach:

This just explained a MST3K joke I didn't understand.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mcdaniels has done more with less than gase, as an OC

having to figure out how to get things done with the pats' revolving door at non-brady skill positions

whereas the broncos had an elite WR corps during the manning period

OxySnake posted:

That probably has more to do with them actually spending money on FA

they didn't spend anything on Offense, and the offense has improved more than the defense has, going by the past month

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Real rumors with substance? Or more of the same "Well he's from Canton therefore he must be the next Browns head coach"

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

LabyaMynora posted:

I think fat mike deserved to get run out of GB, but isn't anywhere lovely enough that he shouldn't get another chance.

Like Fat Mike underperformed by not winning more than 1 SB and he does suck for that.

But underperforming in the playoffs should be aspirational when we are talking about the Brown and Jets.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also starting with a new team might make McCarthy less stale as he has less to fall back on.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Flikken posted:

Real rumors with substance? Or more of the same "Well he's from Canton therefore he must be the next Browns head coach"

I saw something a few days ago about it that seemed to have substance. Then again I've been on a ton of painkillers lately so I may have hallucinated it all.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Without Brady, McDaniels has:

Had the '08 Patriots offense which basically took one of the greatest offenses ever and gave it to a street FA caliber QB and over the year turned him into a solid starter. They were 7th/8th in DVOA/points.

in Denver over '09-'10, drove off his QB and best receiver and turned Kyle Orton into the ~20th by points offense or late teens ranked by DVOA. (They were 16th with Shanahan and Cutler in '08)

Then in 2011 he was the Rams OC as a dying offense completely bottomed out, scoring 12 points a game. (comfortably last in DVOA and points)

Then he went back to Brady and had a top offense every year for some reason.

The situations outside NE weren't great, but he caused the Denver situation, so not sure how much slack you want to cut him there. I think you can throw out that Rams year, and looking at the Cassel Pats year and 2 years with Orton I think we can say that he has the record that he can scheme up an average offense with a mediocre QB prospect and reasonable surrounding talent, and can obviously put together a great scheme if working with great talent.

In Cleveland I'd expect him to either turn Mayfield into an average+ starter and Odell into either a great receiver again or piss him off and drive him off the team. With pretty much zero wiggle room there.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Without Brady, McDaniels has:

Had the '08 Patriots offense which basically took one of the greatest offenses ever and gave it to a street FA caliber QB and over the year turned him into a solid starter. They were 7th/8th in DVOA/points.

in Denver over '09-'10, drove off his QB and best receiver and turned Kyle Orton into the ~20th by points offense or late teens ranked by DVOA. (They were 16th with Shanahan and Cutler in '08)

Then in 2011 he was the Rams OC as a dying offense completely bottomed out, scoring 12 points a game. (comfortably last in DVOA and points)

Then he went back to Brady and had a top offense every year for some reason.

The situations outside NE weren't great, but he caused the Denver situation, so not sure how much slack you want to cut him there. I think you can throw out that Rams year, and looking at the Cassel Pats year and 2 years with Orton I think we can say that he has the record that he can scheme up an average offense with a mediocre QB prospect and reasonable surrounding talent, and can obviously put together a great scheme if working with great talent.

In Cleveland I'd expect him to either turn Mayfield into an average+ starter and Odell into either a great receiver again or piss him off and drive him off the team. With pretty much zero wiggle room there.

Yeah but he's an insufferable prick who probably can't lead a whole team.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Hire Mike mularkey cowards

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

Matt Rhule also turned down the Jets which is slightly different

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

True I suppose. Insufferable prick is more of a positive College football head coach trait.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Kalli posted:

That was the year the Rams had to panic trade for Brandon Lloyd midseason because Amendola got put in IR after 1 game and their other WRs were Brandon Gibson and Denario Alexander

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mcdaniels' tebow move was one of the dumbest things i've ever seen, but it was also one of the most insane big-balls-having ego trip things i've ever seen, so i have to respect it

just the ironclad belief that your own superlative genius can make a superstar out of the QB who literally cannot throw the ball

it's the coaching version of when you see a basketball player shoot like 3-for-22 from the field

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Metapod posted:

I'm continually stunned that Mike Mularkey has had three head coaching jobs, which is about three more than Mike Mularkey should have ever had.

I'm hoping some team will go in on Marvin Lewis, assuming he isn't just a soulless husk who spends all of his days standing outside a Goodwill, staring into space. Feels like he's earned the chance to work for not-Mike Brown.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Matt Rhule also turned down the Jets which is slightly different

Not really. They couldn't agree on a staff but it sounds like there was heavy interest on both sides.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hunt11 posted:

Also starting with a new team might make McCarthy less stale as he has less to fall back on.

This strikes me as unwarranted optimism. All I know is what that Packers offense looked like the last couple years of his tenure, and it wasn't pretty. You kind of wonder if he wasn't being propped up by Aaron the whole time, not that he's completely incompetent but just that he doesn't really ADD that much.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yeah but when gase is the other option "probably can't" is a big upgrade

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Not really. They couldn't agree on a staff but it sounds like there was heavy interest on both sides.
Rhule absolutely would have taken the Jets job if they had let him pick his own staff. The word is the Jets (Macc basically) wanted to hire Monken as his OC and Rhule walked over it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

the titans should, yeah

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

the titans should, yeah

NO SOMEONE ELSE

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Play posted:

This strikes me as unwarranted optimism. All I know is what that Packers offense looked like the last couple years of his tenure, and it wasn't pretty. You kind of wonder if he wasn't being propped up by Aaron the whole time, not that he's completely incompetent but just that he doesn't really ADD that much.

I think it's at least possible. Andy Reid didn't look so hot during the end of his Eagles stint either. McCarthy is a dumb fat turd but he probably deserves a second chance more than a lot of guys that get them.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

It depends on if Mike realizes where things went wrong. Cleveland wanted to force him to keep Kitchens and I'm guessing the Jets had a similar demand for the same concern that he's just clueless. If he's going to rest on his laurel's then he should root.

Watching Jones go off after McCarthys departure feels really telling. I can't speak for Leveon but Chubb is the actual star of three browns offense right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Rhule absolutely would have taken the Jets job if they had let him pick his own staff. The word is the Jets (Macc basically) wanted to hire Monken as his OC and Rhule walked over it.

Another great decision by probably the worst GM of the last 20 years in the NFL. Trusting a guy to be the CEO of the team but not to pick the coaches he wants but it just echos the decision making of the organization in general that couldn't make a smart decision if the lives of their children depended on it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Worst GM of the last twenty years? I don't think so.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
I remember not long before his firing I somewhat defended Mac by saying I thought he was really just a slightly below average GM and not as bad at his job as Bowles was at his.

I have no loving clue wtf I was smoking.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Worst GM of the last twenty years? I don't think so.

He's absolutely in the conversation, especially if Darnold continues on his current trajectory. His drafts are jaw dropping.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Phyein posted:

I remember not long before his firing I somewhat defended Mac by saying I thought he was really just a slightly below average GM and not as bad at his job as Bowles was at his.

I have no loving clue wtf I was smoking.

Bowles was just a replacement level bad HC. Mac was one of the worst GMs in NFL history. Thanks Charley Casserly!!!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

He's absolutely in the conversation, especially if Darnold continues on his current trajectory. His drafts are jaw dropping.

Just due to sheer length and incompetence, it's going to be incredibly hard to top Matt Millen's reign from 2001-2007. Not that he found anyone in the later rounds either, but holy poo poo look at his picks from the 1st 3 rounds:

https://www.pro-football-reference....rder_by=default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

Just due to sheer length and incompetence, it's going to be incredibly hard to top Matt Millen's reign from 2001-2007. Not that he found anyone in the later rounds either, but holy poo poo look at his picks from the 1st 3 rounds:

https://www.pro-football-reference....rder_by=default

Millen is the only reason I had to qualify it with "in the conversation".