Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't really like squash but otherwise would.

Hell, last weekend I made nachos with mozzarella and banana peppers.

I can't say I've ever seen that kit, what moonbase are you living on?

the kits look like this now, they're at just about any grocery store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

big trivia FAIL posted:

the kits look like this now, they're at just about any grocery store

Huh, maybe I've just never looked for them when I can just buy a Totino's Party Pizza when I'm feeling spicy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looking at the nachos and the "pizza" pics in close succession is wild.

It's like Americans didn't know what cheese was until about 1995

E: ^^ Yeah now they are able to say "BUY ACTUAL FRESH CHEESE AND PUT THAT ON TOP WHAT THE CHRIST"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I feel like 1995 was when Pepper Jack was invented and it made nachos in my house really good until my brother pissed and moaned about it and we went back to just chips and Monterrey Jack. It was a good month while it lasted.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Huh, maybe I've just never looked for them when I can just buy a Totino's Party Pizza when I'm feeling spicy

FWIW, I've only ever eaten that pizza-kit in an old cabin out in the woods. No refrigeration there outside of whatever ice/dry ice you brought. Plenty of wood for the oven though.

Probably better off buying a pack of Boboli or Mama Mia's pizza shells nowadays, they last a few weeks at room temp. I've had good luck with the mini (8inch) shells as a fun meal project for smaller kids. They come out the same every time, there's no flour mess, no utensils for the little ones to break or get dirty (or God forbid, get hurt with), plus it's quick and easy. The only parts that require any skill are pre-cutting veggie toppings (go with canned or pre-cut if you don't want to do even that) and laying out a little " pizza station" so people aren't reaching over each other for toppings. Seriously, five minutes prep, five to put together the pizzas (vs. a check against your child wrangling skill), and another ten in the oven.

Bonus points for throwing them on the grill with pineapple-slice appetizers, if they've never seen that done before, it's a hit. All the above works for a drunken pizza-party for adults, start mise-en-place and the only thing to gently caress up is cooking time. Lots of digusting joke pizzas, but that's part of the fun.

madeintaipei has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Nov 7, 2019

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

big trivia FAIL posted:

they still make that kit. when i was a lad in the 1980s my mother kept the nursery at church every wednesday night, and my dad would make 2 of these for us. in my memory they were delicious and every now and then i think about buying the kit and making them again but i never do. i think the last time i had them was 1989/1990 or so, but they still make 'em.

My grandma would make these for us as kids in the 90s, but never bought mozzarella or any other cheese other than the parmesan dust that came in the kit. If she was feeling spicy she might put some unseasoned ground beef on top but otherwise it was in retrospect usually just this weird sad pizza but I have nothing but nostalgia and happy memories from. I'll never attempt to make it as an adult so my hazy happy childhood memories don't get tainted. Trying pizza lunchables as an adult taught me that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
unseasoned ground beef is the worst. What is wrong with olds that adding a little bit of flavoring to meat is considered heresy? My dad hates any form of seasoning besides salt on steak. The addition of any sort of seasoning beyond salt will send him into a tirade about how we don't need to season steak anymore because it's not old and rotten like in the olden days.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

Please don't eat eel at all. They are really going extinct. Stocks have dropped more than 99% since the 1980s.

"Farmed" eels are wild caught as small fry, and are just as unsustainable as wild caught eel.

Gotta eat as many of them before the go extinct, got it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Iron Crowned posted:

unseasoned ground beef is the worst. What is wrong with olds that adding a little bit of flavoring to meat is considered heresy? My dad hates any form of seasoning besides salt on steak. The addition of any sort of seasoning beyond salt will send him into a tirade about how we don't need to season steak anymore because it's not old and rotten like in the olden days.

It's some weird obsession with "tasting the food". Anytime you put any seasoning on anything old whites are like "How can you even taste the chicken now??" as if spices weren't invented because meat and veggies taste like butt on their own.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Butt tastes good though

Hence the problem

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My ex made nachos by browning unseasoned ground beef, then spread the beef and shredded cheddar over a cookie sheet of tortilla chips. After baking it long enough to melt the cheese, he would eat his nachos with cucumber ranch dressing.

With that in mind, I cannot recognize squash nachos as bad in any way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
baking nachos is real good. I do it all the time when I'm feeling fancy, but sometimes your roommate is out and you just want some microwaved cheese while you watch Critters 2.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

baking nachos is real good. I do it all the time when I'm feeling fancy, but sometimes your roommate is out and you just want some microwaved cheese while you watch Critters 2.

Fancy nachos are when you use Doritos instead of normal tortilla chips.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

the game-changing idea, for me, from the Achewood recipe for Galaxy Nachos was pre-baking the tortilla chips for a little bit "to make them extra crispy and toasty because the ingredients you add later on will impart lots of moisture to the chips"

so try that out next time your blood feels all fancied up

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
critters 2 owns

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

critters 2 owns

Hell yeah it does, I think I've seen that one the most

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

Were those the pepperonis that,when you baked them, curled up into tough little red bowls of grease?

Because yeah, they were objectively awful but nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

hell naw, the curly crispy pepps are far superior to the floppy flat ones. I always wondered why some of them curl and some don't, turns out Kenji figured it out, because of course he did.

https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-pizza-lab-why-does-pepperoni-curl.html

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I uh ... thought that was a toothpaste pizza at first

Somehow the truth is better

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think that could be good if the sauce was chocolate. Kind of like an extreme mint chocolate chip ice cream, but pizza.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I uh ... thought that was a toothpaste pizza at first

Somehow the truth is better

You talk about your unsold Millennium scripts

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

uber_stoat posted:

hell naw, the curly crispy pepps are far superior to the floppy flat ones. I always wondered why some of them curl and some don't, turns out Kenji figured it out, because of course he did.

https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-pizza-lab-why-does-pepperoni-curl.html

https://twitter.com/spacecoyotl/status/1116905379344969728?s=09

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

spankmeister posted:

Gotta eat as many of them before the go extinct, got it.

oh hey it's a post from GBS ca 2013 :cool:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Null of Undefined posted:

It's some weird obsession with "tasting the food". Anytime you put any seasoning on anything old whites are like "How can you even taste the chicken now??" as if spices weren't invented because meat and veggies taste like butt on their own.

Modern feedlot beef is basically tasteless. Eat beef from a proper nomad. Grass fed beef in the US is often even worse because it's by someone who doesn't know how to grass finish half the time. Taste is usually limited by terpene content and intermuscular fat incl. marbling. No grass feeding, meat is greasy and tasteless. Grass feeding, no proper finish, it tastes like loving fish. Grass fed and proper finish is the way. Even tartare is beefy as gently caress in that case

Julia Child complained in the 60s that modern chicken rearing was making tasteless chicken. Modern rearing methods have gotten about 3x faster since then at making chicken. The flavor has suffered. Need a non optimized breed

Organic is modern feedlot breeds fed with organic corn slurry, which is slurry from corn grown with slightly different pesticides. Pasture raised is an outright lie about 70% the time. We need to include flavor in the optimization surface of ordinary feedlot meats (you can buy terpenes in a bag, but they're an antifeedant, cows don't get as big) but the ranchers won't do it

Oddly enough, optimized pork still tastes really good, because pigs basically originally ate anything and being fat is more ok for a pig than many other animals

bob dobbs is dead has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Nov 8, 2019

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Tallgrass beef has the highest quality grass finished I know of in North America. Unfortunately they're scum to their suppliers. Cooks Venture will sell chickens that come from a heritage breed that tastes like something to you, although they are a hilarious misuse of venture capital money just like Blue Apron, where the founder was at previously.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Modern feedlot beef is basically tasteless. Eat beef from a proper nomad. Grass fed beef in the US is often even worse because it's by someone who doesn't know how to grass finish half the time. Taste is usually limited by terpene content and intermuscular fat incl. marbling. No grass feeding, meat is greasy and tasteless. Grass feeding, no proper finish, it tastes like loving fish. Grass fed and proper finish is the way. Even tartare is beefy as gently caress in that case

Julia Child complained in the 60s that modern chicken rearing was making tasteless chicken. Modern rearing methods have gotten about 3x faster since then at making chicken. The flavor has suffered. Need a non optimized breed

Organic is modern feedlot breeds fed with organic corn slurry, which is slurry from corn grown with slightly different pesticides. Pasture raised is an outright lie about 70% the time. We need to include flavor in the optimization surface of ordinary feedlot meats (you can buy terpenes in a bag, but they're an antifeedant, cows don't get as big) but the ranchers won't do it

Oddly enough, optimized pork still tastes really good, because pigs basically originally ate anything and being fat is more ok for a pig than many other animals

If you haven't already, look up Dan Barber, chef of Blue Hill at Stone Barns. He is leading an incredible program focused on breeding livestock and produce for flavor, creating his own strains of wheat, etc.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I dunno this seems a lot like those people who tell me if I ever had a REAL tomato I wouldn't hate them. They then proceed to give me a tomato that is supposedly good, and it's not.

I eat food and I put spices that I like on the food that I eat, regardless of whether or not that's how it's "supposed to taste"

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If you don't like tomatoes, you shouldn't be allowed to vote imho.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Mymla posted:

If you don't like tomatoes, you shouldn't be allowed to vote imho.

I like the taste but I can't handle the disgusting texture of raw tomatoes on literally anything.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

I dunno this seems a lot like those people who tell me if I ever had a REAL tomato I wouldn't hate them. They then proceed to give me a tomato that is supposedly good, and it's not.

I eat food and I put spices that I like on the food that I eat, regardless of whether or not that's how it's "supposed to taste"

They revolted against the crap large farm tomatoes, switched to heirloom breeds, the large growers noticed, started growing heirloom breeds, immediately started to optimize for yield and pest resistance and gently caress flavor, and crushed the independent growers including in most farmers markets because of distribution might and more consistent product. (Notwithstanding the extremely common farmers market fraud of selling large farm stuff as your own with a markup) So your average heirloom tomato that you can get, not grow, is a large farm tomato with interesting variations in look, basically

We can't have nice things

bob dobbs is dead has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Nov 8, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I like the taste but I can't handle the disgusting texture of raw tomatoes on literally anything.

:same:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Heirlooms do have a lotta variety in texture as opposed to ordinary large farm beefsteak, tho, even as they've been loving up the flavor

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Heirlooms do have a lotta variety in texture as opposed to ordinary large farm beefsteak, tho, even as they've been loving up the flavor

I'm willing to bet a thousand dollars that whatever artisan fancy heirloom magic tomato you give me will be disgusting to me.

You shouldn't take the bet though because I could just lie about it. But seriously, you aren't saying anything to me that a thousand people haven't said, and then I try their fancy tomato and still don't like it.

I don't like raw tomatoes, I wish people would stop trying to prove my opinion wrong.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Wait, you've gotten the spiel about large corps having already ruined heirloom tomatoes?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Wait, you've gotten the spiel about large corps having already ruined heirloom tomatoes?

Meant to quote your longer post but yes, I live in the Bay Area so as soon as heirloom tomatoes became popular, the snobs I work with started talking about how they were ruined.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I love it when they put whole cherry tomatoes in a salad. It makes picking them out and throwing them in the trash much easier, and less messy compared to the slice+chopped.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I love it when they put whole cherry tomatoes in a salad. It makes picking them out and throwing them in the trash much easier, and less messy compared to the slice+chopped.

Here's a relevant very popular video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2gq4IwIc_s

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Goons disgusted by fresh vegetables vol. 465435643

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Cherry tomatoes are great, biting into them and they pop with a snap of the skin and the innards squish out. :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MariusLecter posted:

Cherry tomatoes are great, biting into them and they pop with a snap of the skin and the innards squish out. :barf:

FTFY