Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chomp8645 posted:

I am drawing a direct equivalency? How? One is a specific event. The other is general concept.

The guy said only women get infantilized for being weird and specific about things, which is obviously not true. We've seen a million stories where a dude acts weird because he some preconcuived notion of things or wants to enact something from fantasy into real life and gets roasted as a manchild for it. And rightfully so! It's just not a gender specific thing at all and it's ridiculous to claim it is.

Men don't have their bodily autonomy put up for public debate. When a man tells his doctor how he feels, the doctor believes him. There's no equivalent to "hysterical" for men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I am drawing a direct equivalency? How? One is a specific event. The other is general concept.

The guy said only women get infantilized for being weird and specific about things, which is obviously not true. We've seen a million stories where a dude acts weird because he some preconcuived notion of things or wants to enact something from fantasy into real life and gets roasted as a manchild for it. And rightfully so! It's just not a gender specific thing at all and it's ridiculous to claim it is.

fellow goon i do not think you see how different "manchild" is from a woman's body constantly being assaulted in TYOOL 2019

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for defending my brother for introducing himself to our grandmother?

quote:

*throwaway*/fake names

I know the title seems weird but hear me out. My brother (16) and I (21F) have two moms. I will refer to my biological mom as A and other mom as B.

My family is accepting and loving of my parents except my conservative grandparents on mom B's side. Throughout my life, they have never interacted with mom A or me or my brother. They didn't come to my parents' wedding (when same sex marriage became legal in the US), they've never sent my brother or myself a birthday card, christmas gifts, they don't come to family events where we are hosting, etc. They don't even ask how we (my brother, mom A, and me) are doing when mom B visits them or calls them. They don't treat my brother and I the same way they treat their other 5 grandkids. Long story short, we don't exist to them so they don't exist to us.

My cousin on mom B's side held a graduation party this summer and naturally those grandparents were invited. My brother and I found out that they were going too, so we vowed to our moms that we would remain civil and polite, as long as they did the same, trying to avoid them whenever possible and just enjoy the day.

A couple hours into the party all the cousins were sitting in the living room playing a card game while the adult family members were out in the kitchen, making their way into the living room periodically to send my cousin their congrats for graduating. My grandparents on mom B's side come in and join the conversation, making an effort to catch up with all the cousins, except my brother and I. He and I exchange a look that says "are you thinking what I'm thinking?" and I knew in that moment he was about to sir poo poo up.

He walks over to our grandmother, offers his hand, and says "hi, I don't believe we've met, I'm ryan, nice to meet you!"

She then says "oh don't be silly, of course I know who you are, you're my grandson!" He responds, clearly confused, saying, "oh I'm sorry i didn't recognize you." I chime in saying "actually, I don't believe we've met, I'm sarah" and I stand up to offer my hand as well. She shakes it and tries to laugh it off saying "oh how nice to see you both it's been so long! how are you doing?" and trying to diffuse this awkward exchange.

My brother and I were raised to take no poo poo and neither of us had the energy to be fake that day. He and I exchange a look of disappointment and sit back down with our cousins and initiate to continue playing the card game.

My cousins giggled when they awkwardly left the room a minute later, but one of the cousin's friends was upset that we 'made a scene at a family event' but in all honesty, it's true that we've never met our grandparents and we only recognize them from pictures with other family. I hope that a harmless exchange embarrassed them enough to think about how they've treated us like we don't exist (my parents thought it was hilarious when we told them what happened). So are we/AITA?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I [M28] had a stupid argument with friend [M28] I’m on vacation with (plus his gf [F28]). Feel trapped with this poo poo vibe for the rest of the trip

quote:

Old friend of mines Mike is looking for apartments around Los Angeles. I figured it’d be a good opportunity for us to take a trip together, so I booked a flight and Airbnb for when he’d be looking around.

I come a day early, he’s delayed hanging with his GF who lives in San Diego. He heads up the day after alongwith her. Things are going well enough, we head out to breakfast the next day.

At some point Elon Musk comes up, I say something to the effect of he’s cool but acts like a jackass, bringing up the whole episode this past summer with the kids trapped in a cave in Thailand. Basically Musk tried to help out with a submarine designed to navigate a cave like that.

It didn’t work out, the divers saved the day, one of them called his submarine intervention a PR stunt, and he responded by calling the guy a pedophile, sticking to his guns up to the point of calling the man a child rapist based on the evidence that the guy in question is a white man living in Thailand.

To me it was a childish overreaction on account of his bruised ego. Mikes upset about the diver calling Musks efforts a PR stunt, talking about how every time somebody wants to help somebody wants to call it a PR stunt, and that they should just stay quiet especially in a case where the person is trying to save lives.

My position is, yeah he was trying to help but there was obviously a component of “Look at me” about Musks efforts. And that that doesn’t change the fact that he’s prone to jackass moments like that.

Mike then insists that Elon Musk is such a genius that he must’ve KNOWN that the man was a child rapist. because as a wealthy man he has the resources to uncover those secrets and it’s unlikely he would make such a severe baseless accusation.

This goes back and forth for a while, me saying that Musk may be a beast with science but is in no way infallible, to which Mike says I’m putting words in his mouth by suggesting that he thinks Musks is infallible. And all the time his GF is agreeing that Musk must’ve known what he was doing and that this was probably a very calculated self branding move instead of an outburst.

The debate finally burns off, but since then they’ve both been a bit distant. And I’m stuck in this Airbnb with em for another couple of days. And I’m not sure what to do here.

Tl;dr: On vacation with friend, had argument over whether or not Elon Musk is a genius that was correct in calling a cave diver a child rapist. Atmospheres gone sour. Stuck for next few days

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Admiral Ray posted:

I [M28] had a stupid argument with friend [M28] I’m on vacation with (plus his gf [F28]). Feel trapped with this poo poo vibe for the rest of the trip

Call him Pedo Guy for the rest of the trip

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

Elon Musk worshippers are as bad as the Nikola Tesla nerds. Except Musk is still alive to continue to create a steady stream of dumb poo poo for them to defend.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't even guess with this one. Brain tumor?

AITA for being mad that my husband did the one thing I asked him not to do? posted:

My husband has this irritating habit where he hears me say what I do not want and then does that exact thing, and then gets mad at me when I’m not appreciative.

We’ve both been traveling for work a lot in the past 2 months, on different schedules. There’s a huge to-do list I have of things that need to be done, things like there being no clean laundry and lots of expired food. I was explicitly clear that the piles of stuff on the dining room table I was going through, so I had it all organized in specific piles and I had already spent a lot of time on this, so I really made it clear that I didn’t want anything on the table to be touched. This is a formal dining room and this table and is not where we ever eat. It’s always been for projects and stuff.

He got home a few hours before I did tonight. He didn’t do a single thing on the list besides shove everything from the table into garbage bags and put move it all to random places around the house. He didn’t do this sarcastically or to be mean, he “thought I would be happy to see the table cleared off”. I am convinced he is being genuine... although I don’t know how the gently caress I could’ve been more clear.

I’m really pissed. He wanted to spend some time together tonight because we’ve hardly seen each other all week.. but I don’t even want to talk to him. I specifically said there were 100 things he could do if he wanted to do something. I said this because I loving knew this would happen because it does every time I say anything. Not only does he not listen, but he does the opposite of what I say. And then HE gets mad at ME for being “ungrateful”. I’m too heated right now to see if I’m actually being ungrateful, so AITA??

Edit: Thanks to everyone who pointed out it could be some sort of actual medical issue. I responded to a few people about that, so if you want more info on that it’s in the comments. He’s 27 and doing well in school so I didn’t think this could be it, but given his family history it’s definitely possible

Also to be clear I didn’t leave him a list.. I had my OWN list THAT I DID NOT ASK FOR HELP WITH, and it was filled with things that should be just obvious to any functioning adult that needed to be done to get us caught up after 2 crazy months. I brought up my list because if he wanted “to be helpful”, he knew about my list and could’ve looked at my list. Or, he could’ve used his adult brain to look around and see what needs to be done, and done those things.

I’m mad that out of all of the obvious things that need to be done, he ignored everything, went into our formal dining room and saw my project, on our table that we ONLY use for working on projects (that we won’t want to clean up until we’re done), and saw a bunch of stuff for a project that he did not start. And instead of asking me about it, or using any sort of reasoning skills whatsoever, he shoved it all haphazardly into garbage bags and moved them all out of the room and put them in a few different places around the house. Undoing all the time and work I already put in to the project. Then he did absolutely nothing else whatsoever (on my list, or his list, or any “list”) to get us caught back up on life.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheScott2K posted:

Be sure and put this in the manifesto you leave behind when you shoot up a yoga studio someday

:chloe:

quote:

Mike then insists that Elon Musk is such a genius that he must’ve KNOWN that the man was a child rapist. because as a wealthy man he has the resources to uncover those secrets and it’s unlikely he would make such a severe baseless accusation.

lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for cutting my daughters hair?

Yes, you are. Your insistence that you own your daughter's appearance and that everything she does with it must meet your approval or be destroyed is what caused all of this. Let the girl do something fun with her hair like she wants to and stop stifling her, your overreaction to the hair dying is what caused the entire issue. Better back off before you daughter actually hates you for good, because that's the direction this is going.

And if you have doubts about the Mormon religion why are you even forcing your daughter to go to church and forcing her to meet the standards of old bigoted church people? Fkn lame imo

Admiral Ray posted:

gently caress El*n M*sk and gently caress your dumb friends. Terminal case of billionaire-worship brain worms

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

extremely online posted:

Not victim blaming, but if this ALWAYS happens, maybe she should have left a note on the pile instead of assuming the method that always fails would work this time.

My wife has a thing where she always says the exact thing she's trying not to say.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Play posted:

And if you have doubts about the Mormon religion why are you even forcing your daughter to go to church and forcing her to meet the standards of old bigoted church people? Fkn lame imo
The best part is "throwaway because I don't want Reddit to know I'm Mormon" like it's some sort of horrible stigma that will follow their main account around for life (which, if you really feel that way, and you're having doubts about the church yourself, isn't that kind of a hint?)

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for leaving my car profanely vandalized?
A month ago, I parked in a spot on a public road (the street I live on) that someone had tried to save for themselves using a folding chair. I usually won't do that but it was the only spot left. Anyway the next Monday I went to take my car to work and someone had spray painted BITCH across the whole side of my car.

I went to the cops and it wasn't too hard to figure out what dumbass did it, a few neighbors knew who always put the chair out to save the spot, and figured it was them. A neighbors doorbell camera feed proved it. I got a $1200 settlement for the damages, and decided not to use it to fix my car because my car's a $2500 junker that I'm planning on replacing within the year anyway.

I instead got my boyfriend who's office has a vinyl sticker printer to print me a big red sticker saying BAD, and another that's a "censoring" exclamation point and I put it on my car so it reads BAD B!TCH now.

My friends and coworkers think it's funny, I work in a trade where much cruder stuff gets tossed around every day so it's nbd driving it to work. If anything I've gotten more respect for driving my "bad bitchmobile" around

But I've heard from other neighbors that it's...

Pissing off my neighbor that did it, because it's reminding him I took his money and didn't do poo poo to fix my car

Annoying a dad who lives on the street because he doesn't want kids seeing it

Annoying a couple other people who think ot makes our area look trashy

AITA for not covering up my vandalized car, and taking humor from it instead?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SirSamVimes posted:

Not really, this one just seems like an rear end in a top hat.

rodbeard posted:

Nah that's just normal lovely dad behavior except with nerdy hobbies instead of sports. Notice how he thinks trying to relate to his daughters in any way will feminize him.

I was thinking that but then she mentioned how he "randomly got really into hiking" and it felt like he was displaying perseverative interests.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Power Khan posted:

A month ago, I parked in a spot on a public road (the street I live on) that someone had tried to save for themselves using a folding chair. I usually won't do that but it was the only spot left. Anyway the next Monday I went to take my car to work and someone had spray painted BITCH across the whole side of my car.

I went to the cops and it wasn't too hard to figure out what dumbass did it, a few neighbors knew who always put the chair out to save the spot, and figured it was them. A neighbors doorbell camera feed proved it. I got a $1200 settlement for the damages, and decided not to use it to fix my car because my car's a $2500 junker that I'm planning on replacing within the year anyway.

I instead got my boyfriend who's office has a vinyl sticker printer to print me a big red sticker saying BAD, and another that's a "censoring" exclamation point and I put it on my car so it reads BAD B!TCH now.

My friends and coworkers think it's funny, I work in a trade where much cruder stuff gets tossed around every day so it's nbd driving it to work. If anything I've gotten more respect for driving my "bad bitchmobile" around

But I've heard from other neighbors that it's...

Pissing off my neighbor that did it, because it's reminding him I took his money and didn't do poo poo to fix my car

Annoying a dad who lives on the street because he doesn't want kids seeing it

Annoying a couple other people who think ot makes our area look trashy

AITA for not covering up my vandalized car, and taking humor from it instead?

hell yeah, you're a bad b!tch and this proves it, gently caress your idiot neighbours, and gently caress the idiot that vandalized your car who is now salty about it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Johnny Truant posted:

hell yeah, you're a bad b!tch and this proves it, gently caress your idiot neighbours, and gently caress the idiot that vandalized your car who is now salty about it

she's the goodest bitch, really

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

extremely online posted:

She's a hoarder

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Power Khan posted:

lol this rules. Really living up to the label!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

Admiral Ray posted:

Elon Musk fanboys are basically all like this, they will never stop having their egos hurt when you suggest that maybe it's a bad choice to call someone a pedophile for saving a bunch of children trapped in a cave, or maybe the solution to vehicle traffic isn't digging tunnels between all of the houses that you can drive through slowly, or that maybe astronomers know more about observational astronomy than an egotistical billionaire who owns a hobby telescope. They always fall back to the same N-dimensional chess poo poo that Trumpists and QAnon people like to lean on, ignoring reality in favor of some Tony Stark narrative they've built in their head

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Power Khan posted:

lmfao who the actual gently caress cares about the criminal's opinion oh no you have hurt the criminal's feelings by not being upset enough about his crime

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

Elon Musk fanboys are basically all like this, they will never stop having their egos hurt when you suggest that maybe it's a bad choice to call someone a pedophile for saving a bunch of children trapped in a cave, or maybe the solution to vehicle traffic isn't digging tunnels between all of the houses that you can drive through slowly, or that maybe astronomers know more about observational astronomy than an egotistical billionaire who owns a hobby telescope

Excuse me have you considered that he has a lot of money???

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Elon Musk's genius is as real as his hairline

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

This guy is like the people on certain subreddits who analyze every gaffe, embarrassment, and defeat Trump suffers as if he's playing three-dimensional chess and we're all going to see the genius of his overall plan any day now, and all the haters are just playing into it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wanting my fiancée to wear a pair of earrings that once belonged to my deceased mother on our wedding day?

I’m [32M] getting married in 4 months. My fiancée [28F] and I have known each other for the past 12 years. She’s my best friend and my soulmate.

My mother passed when I was 3 years old. I barely remember her at all. I don’t have much of my immediate family anymore. My father, brother, and young nephew all died in the past 5 years. It’s been really difficult.

After my mother died, she left a lot of clothes, jewelry, and other valuables in her will. I inherited some jewelry, including a pair of gorgeous diamond earrings. Yesterday, I showed the pair to my fiancée, and told her it would mean a lot if she wore them on our wedding day.

My fiancée said she understood why she wanted me to wear them, but that she had already decided to wear a pair of earrings that her parents had custom-made for her.

I told her that it would just mean a lot to me. But she said, “It’s just not feasible, and honestly would kind of weird me out.”

I was hurt, and said, “You don’t know what it’s like to lose family.”

She got upset and accused me of emotionally manipulating her in order to get my way. I don’t think I did, though. AITA?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
Also anyone who says that Elon Musk "may be a beast with science" should have their hands chopped off

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA? I faked a girl's hospital trip to teach my son a lesson?

My son had a bad habit of starting online fights with other kids and sometimes older teens/young adults. It was mostly just kinda playful ribbing until either person took it a step too far and it became just vulgar "I F-ed your mom/relative" stuff. I saw it and told him to cut it out, and if someone took it too far to just walk away. It slowly came back in the form of "roasting" girl's photos without permission. Basically just calling them a name or comparing them to something or someone he deems undesirable.

By that time I sat him down and told him that's not how you treat people, and girls at school aren't going to want to be around him if he kept doing it. The "roasting" stopped for a few months until this school year when a new girl who I was told had quite a high opinion of her looks despite not being very attractive joined his school.

He and a handful of his classmates began to taunt her pretty badly. I took his phone from him about a week before I hatched my plan. It came to my attention he was still harassing her in school. On the way home I told him my own bullying experience and the very real risk that she could do something horrible to herself if he and those other people kept at it. It seemed like I was getting through to him but he let it slip that he didn't think he could stop taunting her because it made him cool with his friends. They apparently hailed him as the "roast master", just a cringey name for bully.

I got really fed up of him doing this poo poo. Since the idea of the girl hurting herself seemed to scare him, I waited until the weekend to "break the news."

At breakfast on Saturday I sat him down very seriously and told him that the girl he had "roasted" had been hospitalized, and the cops think it was intentional. He was pretty quick to tear up and say that he was sorry. I told him that he shouldn't have taunted her the way he did and I asked him about how she must have felt to want to do something like that. About an hour and a half later and a very serious talk, I thought it was time to reveal that she was okay.

I told him that it wasn't real and he had a pretty mixed reaction. Mad at me of course for doing something douchey like that but relieved that he hadn't contributed to a classmate hurting themselves. When he got back to school he told his friends to lay off and explained what had happened. While I do believe she still got some grief from students it wasn't nearly as bad. Him and that girl are not friends by any means but he said sorry to her and they appear to be okay.

I feel pretty bad about what I did but I didn't see much of another option. He's got his phone back now and I'm proud to say he uses it much more responsibly now minus a few road bumps. I can't help put still feel bad about how distressed he was but who knows, maybe it did save a kids life?

So yeah, am I the rear end in a top hat?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

LMAO

Be sure and put this in the manifesto you leave behind when you shoot up a yoga studio someday

This is really unnecessary and makes you look like a baby.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA? I faked a girl's hospital trip to teach my son a lesson?

Sometimes you need to be an rear end in a top hat.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

house of the dad posted:

This is really unnecessary and makes you look like a baby.

Turn on your monitor

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Sometimes you need to be an rear end in a top hat.

I wish the parents of my school bullies had done something like this, it would have saved me the trouble of having to punch them in the mouth. I'm sure they would have appreciated that not happening too.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Power Khan posted:

I wish I was a bad enough bitch to get my car vandalized

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Sometimes you gotta Ghost of Christmas Future your children if you want them to be better people.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dazerbeams posted:

Sometimes you gotta Ghost of Christmas Future your children if you want them to be better people.

Reminded me of the older siblings who made a tombstone for their kid brother who called their mom a bitch :3:

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Turn on your monitor

Heh, nice one, roast master!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for wanting my fiancée to wear a pair of earrings that once belonged to my deceased mother on our wedding day?

If the earrings mean that much to him I don't see why he can't wear them himself.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She gets final say, but what the gently caress does she mean by "It's just not feasible."?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Probably that her parents had already custom-made earrings just for her just for the day, so anything else wasn't an option.

Anyway, use them as cufflinks, problem solved

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Beachcomber posted:

She gets final say, but what the gently caress does she mean by "It's just not feasible."?

Guessing mom had bad taste in earrings.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This was a plot line for the Simpsons so sever

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

extremely online posted:

With childbirth everyones M always Vs, which is why women should be encouraged to listen to their bodies and everyone else should be encouraged to listen to what women say about their bodies.

While I agree 100% that a woman's body is hers and hers alone, this is really stupid logic in this scenario because she isn't listening to her body and is endangering the life of her child and herself solely because she wants to have a certain nebulous experience that no one should actually have under adequate care in 2019. Not to mention creating an incredibly convoluted mess for her husband to pick up for literally no reason except she feels like it. Awesome. Like, yeah, I'm sure it will turn out fine for her... but why create wholly unnecessary problems in an already stressful situation? Just hire a doula for a home birth if she wants a more personal experience on her own terms.

Also please never use the term "listening to her body" ever again because that's pseudoscience bullshit for the ignorant. Are you going to talk about grilling a placenta for postpartum nutrition next? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Own your actions. You are trying to emotionally manipulate her. Humans do it all the time. When I tell shopkeepers that their product is an insult to my entire family, I am emotionally manipulating them. When I stare down the cops in a psychic battle I am emotionally manipulating them. The world doesn't exist except as a vessel for our emotions, and the strongest ones win. She has already won this battle and here you are groveling at the feet of reddit. Just loving :sever: and leave buddy. You don't have what it takes to build a strong and healthy relationship backed by mutually assured destruction.