Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

And the little seeds swirl around with that slimy membrane they have on them. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou_94cHnHBo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Cherry tomatoes are great, biting into them and they pop with a snap of the skin and the innards squish out. :yum:

This is my complaint with tomato, also bell pepper, just kinda tasteless when raw and also unpleasant texture.

Rather have like, turnip, or carrot, or broccoli, or onion, or something else you cook because you're not a loving caveman.

Cooked tomato is good though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

bloom posted:

Goons disgusted by fresh vegetables vol. 465435643

disliking one type of fruit/vegetable =/= disliking all vegetables

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

bloom posted:

Goons disgusted by fresh vegetables vol. 465435643

:actually: tomatoes are berries, checkmate vegailure.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Even the crappiest sundried tomato is still better than normal tomatoes so just use those wherever you'd use a raw tomato imo.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pyrotoad posted:

Even the crappiest sundried tomato is still better than normal tomatoes so just use those wherever you'd use a raw tomato imo.

Thanks for the most grotesque salsa ever.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Dienes posted:

Thanks for the most grotesque salsa ever.

:hai: Salsa should be softer than the chips. loving shrapnel. Sundried tomato chili (no beans) with salted corn chips for saltines, mmmmm.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I see a lot of people in this thread have never had a real tomato.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Null of Undefined posted:

Meant to quote your longer post but yes, I live in the Bay Area so as soon as heirloom tomatoes became popular, the snobs I work with started talking about how they were ruined.

I feel like most those peeps don't talk about optimization surfaces

Genetic optimization is combinatorial optimization, by its nature. Do random restarts

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Cherry tomatoes are great, biting into them and they pop with a snap of the skin and the innards squish out. :yum:

:yeah:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I feel like most those peeps don't talk about optimization surfaces

Genetic optimization is combinatorial optimization, by its nature. Do random restarts

My father has been eating these things a lot. Are they an example of progress? They are, in his words, sehr lecker.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pigs? Yeah, I eat pigs too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tomatoes are kinda weird, unlike most fruit. I guess the closest is bell pepers, since you eat the colorful plant fiber in the same way, but then instead of cutting out or around the seeds, you just eat the seeds and the weird seed slime that they're suspended in along with. Makes for some inconsistent texture. Tomatoes are complicated.

Still, a tomato slice is real good for broadening the flavor of a sandwich and getting a little more crunch. There's something about newer varieties being less sweet because the red coloring is prioritized, giving the tomato less chlorophyll for creating sugar, Whatever.

Anyhow, content.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pigs? Yeah, I eat pigs too.

It was a "lost" breed, back-bred into viable stock and reintroduced to their original range.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Still, a tomato slice is real good for broadening the flavor of a sandwich and getting a little more crunch.

There are many adjectives I would use to describe a desirable sandwich tomato. Crunch is not one of them. :raise:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MariusLecter posted:

Quartered cherry or strawberry tomatoes make for way more interesting texture variations in guacamole than standard tomato shrapnel

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Somfin posted:

Quartered cherry or strawberry tomatoes make for way more interesting texture variations in guacamole than standard tomato shrapnel

If you’re putting tomatoes in guacamole you deserve to be shot and fed to dogs.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

MariusLecter posted:

Alright Denethor, chill

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you mixed guacamole and ketchup, would a colorblind person ever notice?

Casu Marzu posted:

There are many adjectives I would use to describe a desirable sandwich tomato. Crunch is not one of them. :raise:

I dunno man, they're harder than the floppy parts of a sandwich, even if they're not as noisy as lettuce. They make it feel like you're biting into something more than just some bread-swaddled meat, what do you wanna call that?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pico guacamole is great.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

lovely supermarket tomatoes can be a little crunchy but that's more like 'extremely under ripened'

I love tomatoes in all of their meaty slimy-seedy goodness

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I admit they probably don't fit well in your mayo-and-cheez-wiz back-of-the-box 'gwackymole' but in actual guacamole they're great

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That’s a traditional Mexican preparation, but go off, :ese:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

guacamole should have avocado, lime, cilantro, salt, and loving nothing else

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Guacamole. Rules.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

cilantro is gross

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Theres as many people pretending to know what vegatables are in here as people who actually dislike them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The "cilantro tastes like soap" people and the "it's a texture thing" people should get together and have the world's lamest party

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

idk I can't really change that cilantro tastes like soap but I assume textural issues can probably worked through

don't you lump me in with them :argh:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Cilantro gives me both explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting.

I’m fun at Mexican and Indian restaurants, and a hoot at parties where there is undisclosed cilantro.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just funnin ya, I know it's genetic and that sucks

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Hey you know what are pretty awesome?

Plantains

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Cilantro gives me both explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting.

I’m fun at Mexican and Indian restaurants, and a hoot at parties where there is undisclosed cilantro.

I think Undisclosed Cilantro would make a good forums name.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

My personal experience with cilantro is that it is just grossly overused. Friends accost me with "oh so it tastes like soap to you??!" Um no it tastes like you didn't calibrate whatsoever how it interacts with the rest of the dish

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
The best tomatoes are roma tomatoes grown in mulched horse poo poo along the side of your poverty house when you're about 14-15. You can pick them ripe and warm off the vine and bite off one end, squirt out the gross innards with a quick squeeze and then munch the rest as a snack your parents won't bitch about you eating. Eat enough roma tomatoes that way in one summer and you become immuned to slimy yuck of tomato innards and graduate to eating cherry tomatoes whole, then being able to eat tomatoes in any form without issues. Because you're poor af and they taste good and are free so you learn to eat them.

Also cilantro is amazing and I feel bad for people who hate it. I didn't like it originally whenever I'd rarely taste it because lol wtf was cilantro 20 years ago in some lovely town in the boonies? Then I found some recipe for roasted sweet potato chunks with crushed garlic, lime juice and cilantro and it was so drat good. Cilantro tastes so good--fresh and citrus-y. It's the best part of tacos and spicy, mexican type soups!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

I think Undisclosed Cilantro would make a good forums name.

Mods? Please?

gently caress, that would be so perfect.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

snoo posted:

cilantro is great

snoo posted:

fresh cilantro has a vegetal, citrusy flavor and aroma, almost minty but definitely singular in its presence

cilantro plays super well with fresh diced onion, tomato and jalapeno in fajita tacos :kimchi:

ftfy

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

empty sea posted:

The best tomatoes are roma tomatoes grown in mulched horse poo poo along the side of your poverty house when you're about 14-15. You can pick them ripe and warm off the vine and bite off one end, squirt out the gross innards with a quick squeeze and then munch the rest as a snack your parents won't bitch about you eating. Eat enough roma tomatoes that way in one summer and you become immuned to slimy yuck of tomato innards and graduate to eating cherry tomatoes whole, then being able to eat tomatoes in any form without issues. Because you're poor af and they taste good and are free so you learn to eat them.

Also cilantro is amazing and I feel bad for people who hate it. I didn't like it originally whenever I'd rarely taste it because lol wtf was cilantro 20 years ago in some lovely town in the boonies? Then I found some recipe for roasted sweet potato chunks with crushed garlic, lime juice and cilantro and it was so drat good. Cilantro tastes so good--fresh and citrus-y. It's the best part of tacos and spicy, mexican type soups!

My parents used to grow tomatoes and to this day my sister and I will both eat a tomato like an apple. Nowadays maybe I'll just chop it in half and season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Data Graham posted:

The "cilantro tastes like soap" people and the "it's a texture thing" people should get together and have the world's lamest party

Just chicken nuggets and potatoes.