Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

I will never get over the fact that conservatives always fashion themselves after the villains from popular media and their opponents after the heroes. They are such broken hateful people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why would you frame the people you're attacking as the heroes and the people you're defending as the villains?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I appreciated the ABORTION text when the giant baby is punched.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Why would you frame the people you're attacking as the heroes and the people you're defending as the villains?

Because they think the villains were right. Steve Bannon wanted to be Palpatine, for example

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Strange Poon posted:

Professor Chink... really?

I had to listen to it because I am dumb and naive and couldn't believe he would use a slur so openly. Holy poo poo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kibayasu posted:

I appreciated the ABORTION text when the giant baby is punched.

I'm disappointed there was no shot of one of them punching Trump, I guess that's the one thing he realized could be taken in ways other than the intended.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Slowpoke! posted:

To be fair I’m sure most celebrities at least partially employ ghostwriters. Writing a book is hard.

Yeah, no doubt - it's just the more legit ones will be like "CELEBRITY NAME with John Doe" and it's understood that the rando name in smaller letters actually did the writing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The Super-Id posted:

I will never get over the fact that conservatives always fashion themselves after the villains from popular media and their opponents after the heroes. They are such broken hateful people.

The villains dress better

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

none of us are shocked to see a liberal cheering for Bolsonaro to rid them of undesirable brazilians, Pkay. it's why Obama went to such lengths to get Lula jailed in the first place.

but now, that danged Greenwald character has gotten him out of jail, and the only commentary the American liberal can offer is Why Won't The Fascists Kill This loving Journalist Already.

you're supposed to keep the mask on a little better than that.

I'm shocked at the length of folks like yourself go to in order to twist words. I am not wearing a mask. I don't want to see Greenwald killed. I just think hes a douche bag and while he may be actively fighting fascist in the country in which he dwells, he is actively encouraging it in his home country, where I currently dwell. So gently caress that dude. His fight's recently seem to be motivated by personal political animus more than any ideological principle>

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Super-Id posted:

which ppg villains would chowder and other "young hippity hoppity" regressives map too.

Also Buttercup would kick/punch a baby.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

which ppg villains would chowder and other "young hippity hoppity" regressives map too.

Crowder is HIM
Cernovich is Mojo Jojo

...I'm all out of joke answers

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

ManBoyChef posted:

Does anyone really think he read his sons book? I bet you he didn't even listen to somebody summarize it.

No he did not read it

And no his son did not actually write it.

Those are two things I am 100% sure of.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Strange Poon posted:

Professor Chink... really?

I'm pretty sure it's "Professor Cenk", as in he's yet again trying to mock Cenk Uygur.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Generic American posted:

I'm pretty sure it's "Professor Cenk", as in he's yet again trying to mock Cenk Uygur.

Then wouldn't it be Professor Uygur?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Crowder is HIM
Cernovich is Mojo Jojo

...I'm all out of joke answers

Ben Shapiro is Mojo Jojo

Change my Mind :colbert:

I love how Crowder accidentally created something that owns so hard :lol:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/UFloridaYAF/status/1192583221499834369

I have no words

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Angry_Ed posted:

Then wouldn't it be Professor Uygur?

I mean, it really looks like his typical racist caricature of Cenk.

(Disclaimer: do not click the video, it loving sucks, but the thumbnail should give you a good idea)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsVONO75utI

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Well the GOP has settled in on their talking points/plans of attack going forward, after initially being caught flat footed on Ukraine:

-Barr's CRIMINAL investigation into Comey/2016
-Complain about rigged inquiry when Bidens don't have to testify
-It was a LEGAL quid pro quo

etc.

It's all going to come down to voting and activism in 2020.

As far as I can see there is almost no scenario where GOP Senators see less risk in voting to remove than acquitting. Even if Trump is in the maximum possible meltdown of low thirties approval, voting to convict GUARANTEES a loss in either primary or general election with a significant chunk of voters just sitting at home. If you go with the "cooperate" option of Prisoner's Dilemna and stick it out with Team Trump till the bitter end, there's at least a possibility Trump and the GOP just get away with everything.

There's no scenario of Trump being removed that isn't a total disaster for the GOP. If Trump was removed, no way Pence wins election or the GOP holds onto the Senate. It's just estimating the degree of dumpster fire that results from either vote. The easier option, having gone this far, is just to stick it out with him to the bitter end.

The idea that GOP senators could help vote Trump out and avoid getting wiped out themselves in the backlash, if the evidence was so bad that this was even a remote possibility, is laughable.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Generic American posted:

Eh, there's no need to spend time trying to give this the benefit of the doubt given the video also features a shot of Ilhan in a dynamite vest

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I cant even figure out which event they think happened on Nov. 7 that equates to this.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Generic American posted:

(Disclaimer: do not click the video, it loving sucks, but the thumbnail should give you a good idea)

I meant in that most people aren't Professor <First name> :v:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

You say that like it isn't completely in-character for Crowder to ruin the entire premise of his own joke. And I feel like it's a safe bet that "Cenk" is more recognizable to his garbage audience as a dismissive namedrop.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Generic American posted:

It's both, with plausible deniability.

C'mon.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I can think of 10 Republican Senators who could vote for Trump's removal, but 1.) They probably wouldn't because they're safe anyway and support him and 2.) That's still not enough.

That doesn't mean this isn't bad for Trump, or more importantly, bad for the Republican Party.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

A Terrible Person posted:

I'm sorry. I know your forgiveness is your own to give or not. I don't have to agree with everything you say, but I've been an unthinking rear end about you and your history in the past. I apologise and wish I could take it back.

Also, I know you mean it but, unlike me, you're more affective alive than dead. Keep fighting despite the hurt. You're making a difference.

Friend it's all water under the bridge and as far as I'm concerned there was nothing to ever forgive.

Also none of us is more valuable or less valuable than any of the rest of us, you are too harsh on yourself. It seems pretty clear to me that you've been going through a serious of introspection- and to be quite honest with you I have nothing but immense respect for anyone who puts themselves through that.

Introspection is painful and unpleasant and no one can ever force you to do it but yourself- and I think it speaks very highly of your character that you are taking a long moment to reconsider yourself and your beliefs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tibalt posted:

I can think of 10 Republican Senators who could vote for Trump's removal, but 1.) They probably wouldn't because they're safe anyway and support him and 2.) That's still not enough.

That doesn't mean this isn't bad for Trump, or more importantly, bad for the Republican Party.

There's 53 R senators who would vote for removal if they thought they would have a 50:50 chance of losing their upcoming elections if they didn't.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

i am harry posted:

I don’t really know, Glenn is an all around awful person who lives in Brazil and is friends with Tucker and comes on TV to make things worse in America. If he wasn’t gay maybe I wouldn’t catch so many probations when I express my total dislike for the man.

Personally I think Glenn Greenwald is a overall decent person who like most overall decent people have certain blind spots as a result of his personal experience and the same penchant for revising history to paint himself in the best light.

He himself confesses to have if not vocally supported the Iraq War to have at least given the Bush administration the benefit of the doubt in the lead up to the war because he was "politically apathetic" which is forgivable.

I'm more split on the Snowden affair because while I agree with Snowden's exposing of the bullshit the Intel community was up to the fact that he ran to Russia doesn't sit well with me, the enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend or my ally.

Putin is an authoritarian thug, he's no friend of the left, he's an opportunist who is willing to take advantage our political divisions and too many on the left mistake that for common cause which is what leads someone like Greenwald and Snowden into siding with him when the reality is that he is a part of the same international system of authoritarian elites that are the source of all that is wrong with human society.

Putin is ExxonMobil with a nuclear arsenal and a license to kill with impunity. The Republicans have aligned with him because he who they want to be.

Glenn can't seem to see that because he is blinded by his animosity to the same elements in the US intelligence and political system, and that makes him a useful idiot to the very forces he is fighting against and he is not alone in that as we can see in this very thread.

He is a perfect example of the saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Which is illustrated by his history representing Fascists in court. I don't think that he is sympathetic to their cause he just believed in the system, then when he saw that system betray him instead of identifying the correct flaws in said system he turned against it as a whole and sought out any who opposed it with the same simplistic black and white faith that was the root of his faith in the system of liberal democracy in the first place.

I see this same thinking in many on the Left who can only see the world in terms of right and wrong. Who view any divergence from their ideas of right and wrong as evidence of il intent. Who accuse others of viewing politics as team sports while simultaneously defending people on their "team" with the same level of vemon and blind loyalty that they mock in others.

Greenwald shouldn't be canceled because he's imperfect nor should he be idolized because he's right about some things.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/1192925294329520128
https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/1192926752135434240
https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/1192939322955186176

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This wall bad, because Communist wall. Versus the wall we're building, which is pure Capitalism.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh, so there's more than one holiday, holidays if you will, celebrated by a large number of people in a short period of time?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

You gonna do one for Kwanza or Ramadan, Scott? No? Not white enough for you? Welp.

Also that PPG parody* is great, I hope it becomes another “Change My Mind” sign meme self-own for Steven Chudiverse.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

...OK. Thanks for clearing that up for us, professor.

(I know it's the requisite "war on Christmas" bellyaching that always starts around this time of year, done unironically by some of the same people who probably cut their Thanksgiving short to stand in line at 4:30 am on Black Friday).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 9, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I see Walker has plenty of free time lately.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Generic American posted:

I mean you're not wrong but it's not how you pronounce "Cenk" (it's with a hard J and sounds closer to "Jank") and yea, I wouldn't expect them to pronounce it correctly because they're disrespectful, but I wouldn't put it past them to purposefully pronounce his name like a racial slur because they're immature bigots.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Meanwhile

https://mobile.twitter.com/South_Vape_Ad/status/1193111401088323584
https://mobile.twitter.com/South_Vape_Ad/status/1193214419574104065
https://mobile.twitter.com/Alex_Norcia/status/1193216731558371329

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

luxury handset posted:

the recession was specifically triggered by malfeasance and a bubble in housing. phoenix is a sprawly city, and your specific perspective was one which saw extra houses which were completed at the wrong time. i bet those houses are mostly inhabited today, but 2009-2011 was a different story. what you're talking about are houses which people definitely could have lived in, but which nobody wanted to/could afford to buy at the time. the housing market is wildly inefficient at actually providing housing in adequate supply to people because of market factors like this, and that developers would rather gamble on $500k+ large single family homes than a building full of $200k- condos due to profit incentive

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/11/the-unfinished-suburbs-of-America/382707/

I've since moved out of state so I don't know if they've filled up by now or not, which is actually kind of annoying since I wish I did. They were definitely overpriced and everyone knew they were built with cheap/shoddy materials in an effort to cash grab. Also I think anyone who didn't care about the commute time was already living in Apache Junction which was always going to be cheaper than the east end of Mesa for even larger houses so maybe there was no market for them there to begin with.

Watching all that go down made me extremely leery of any home built in the aughts. There is way too high a chance they're made of cardboard and spit with a "granite countertop" to pretend they're fancy.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Strange Poon posted:

I mean you're not wrong but it's not how you pronounce "Cenk" (it's with a hard J and sounds closer to "Jank") and yea, I wouldn't expect them to pronounce it correctly because they're disrespectful, but I wouldn't put it past them to purposefully pronounce his name like a racial slur because they're immature bigots.

Crowder pronounces it as 'Jenk' in his terrible Young Turks parody posted upthread.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Strange Poon posted:

Huh. Even when Cenk would introduce himself back when I would watch The Young Turks, I always heard it somewhere between "Chenk" and "Shenk", but my ears are pretty poo poo so guess I shouldn't be surprised that I heard it wrong

But the mole on the cheek is still a dead giveaway of his weird brownface routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eschenique posted:

Bot Sentinel.

It also flags unreliable sources.

It's of course not perfect. It flags behavior mainly so people like Bill Mitchel is flagged for acting like a "trollbot"

Ymmv but it's handy for finding accounts used to just argue in bad faith all day long with few other types of interactions.

Honestly before I knew about bots I probably interacted with some on various forum accounts and remember I used to get so frustrated with what I thought were real people just not loving reading the poo poo I was saying and continuing to argue in what I now know as bad faith. Like this just absolute need to always be arguing instead of having a normal conversation, doesn't matter about what or if it's even remotely important, just always arguing. In retrospect it makes so much sense why considering it was probably just bots and not real people reacting off of a handful of keywords within a a hundred or so.

Now I just can't be sure about the integrity of the internet in general anymore. Like I sometimes do wonder what percentage of it really are just bots. It seems like a loving lot in certain areas like politics or mass media related stuff on twitter/facebook/reddit etc. though. Any political discussion or politicians twitter feed it's just guaranteed to be completely loving useless and filled with pages and pages of bots retweeting generic memes and like in that one just arguing with each other.